*Read first post before replying, and I'm serious!*There recently was a request for a pet sub-forum on soompi, but we concluded that there's not enough demand for there to be an entire section devoted to pets. However, we concluded to make a pinned thread for pets, so allow me to start off by posting the rules, which you should all read first before posting, followed by the FAQ's, which you should also read before posting anything.
Obey the rules of general discussion rules: http://www.soompi.co...howtopic=113196
(but you should already know that.) Going around the 20 characters rule is a big NO.
AND obey the Soompi Forum rules that apply to all of soompi forums: http://www.soompi.co...?showtopic=1317
(and you should also already know that.)
Absolutely no posting pictures of pets unless it's pet health, pet care, pet purchasing or pet-item/food related! There is a topic for sharing pics of pets somewhere in the member 411 & pix section, go wander in and find it yourself if you want to share pictures of your pet with no relevance to a question or advice on pets. If your goldfish is discolored and you're not sure what's wrong with, yes post it. If you just want to show it off, do not post it here!
No unrelated replies! If someone does post a picture of their pet, this is not the thread for you to go commenting how cute it is, or how you have the same pet, etc. This thread is strictly for discussion about caring and raising pets.
Absolutely no pet for sale ads, or pet giveaways.
No pet jokes. Jokes regarding animals tend to get cruel and will not be tolerated. This includes any images depicting animals in a cruel way intended for humor.
Don't ask for name suggestions because we're going to tell you to name it Spike. At least Range will. Because he's Range.
Inanimate objects are not pets! No pet rock, no Tamagotchis, no pet koumi, no Pok�mon, no Neopets, no dinosaurs that magically hatch when you keep them in water, no sea monkeys/brine shrimp (I don't care if they're actually alive, you guys are not talking about lame sea monkeys, unless you're talking about feeding them to fish, which is fine to talk about.)
***Rule 8: If something terribly wrong with your pet's health, please have it checked out at the vet first before posting here, it may be too late by the time you get a reply here. And Soompiers aren't super experts on pets, so please, check with a vet first!***
The other mods of this section and I have put a few things about pets that we know, for your convenience.
1. Do not feed your pets any human food! Unless you own a pet monkey or another primate and give him bananas, do not feed your pet any human food! For fish, some vegetables are acceptable such as chopped up skinless green peas, but please ask in this thread if you're not sure about other food!
2. Give your dogs/cats baths ONCE a month (unless of course, it's covered in mud and dirty or a bad case of fleas.) Cats lick themselves somewhat clean anyway. Bathing your pets daily destroys their natural smell and develops bad skin for them. Unlike humans, pets don't get acne so relaaaaax.
3. No beastiality. It's great to love your pet, but its not great to make love to your pet. (This was suggested by Range, don't ask me.)
4. Stray animals need to be vaccinated, they may have diseases so be careful! . If you find a stray animal and take it in, take it to the vet or closest animal shelter first.
5. New cats and dogs should be vaccinated after they're about 4 (someone confirm this) and sterilized when 6 months old (someone confirm this also please)
6. Keep your pets indoors. Dogs run away when you let them out. You don't want them fighting other neighboring pets or wild animals and bringing home injuries or diseases. Cats usually return or don't stray off too far, but this isn't Garfield the movie, so take no chances, or else have fun putting up lost pet posters.
7. Flushing fish down the toilet is a bad way of euthanizing them, there are other methods that are more humane.
8. If you suspect your pet got into a scrap with a raccoon or some other wild animal and fear it may have something like rabies, call animal control immediately!
9. Follow the laws regarding pets. If the law where you live says you need to get a pet license, get one! If the law says you must put a nuzzle over your pitbull outside, do it! Always keep a leash on your dog outside! Always scoop up their feces!
10. When adopting/purchasing new pets, please check the rules with your local vet regarding pets within your country/state/province/town/community/apartment building with a mean landlord/superintendent.
11. Do not raise male betta fish together! They WILL fight to the death!
12. Cats do not always catch mice/rats.
13. Do not eat your pets! For example: pet fish require certain chemicals and solutions to be added in theirwater for their health, but it's very dangerous to be consumed by humans, even if you cook it thoroughly! Do not feed your pets to other pets! This means no dead fish or bird going to your hungry cat!
14. If you want your dog fixed, spay/neuter your dog when it's 3 months old. 6 months is recommended for cats.
15. Avoid buying pet food first from department chain stores such as Wal-Mart and Safeway (see iloveren's post below), consult your vet and local pet shop first. If your pet needs to be on a specific diet, please take it seriously.
User contributed advice:
Important advice before buying a dog