Expensive Vs Cheap Beauty Products

Guest BeatofboA

Guest BeatofboA

you may be surprised :)
So guess what? :sweatingbullets:

Research has proven that not only do lavishly-priced wrinkle creams leave a big hole in the pocket, they apparently have the same effect as cheaper brands.

In a study conducted by Consumer Reports Magazine, which tested products ranging from US$19 to US$355, the ones at the high end of the scale does only a slightly better job at smoothening out fine lines.

The average depth of wrinkles were reduced by less than 10 per cent, which is an improveent that they say is barely visible unless viewed with a microscope.

To be fair, one fault with the study is that the sample size is a bit too small for women to head straight to the nearest store to buy a tube of cheap and good anti-wrinkle cream.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal opinion. I think that this report is probably true to a certain extent. Chances are that if you've been blessed with good skin you don't really need much maintainence if you have been leading a healthy life. But then again, like what has been said, the report may be flawed because it was done on a relatively smal scale of about a few hundred people.

So my suggestion is that if you can afford it and you think it's not very much of a bigger deal to buy more upmarket beauty products then go ahead since it doesn't harm you in any way. It'll only do you better in fact, albeit minimally haha, at least when people use a microscope they think you're prettier :P

Otherwise if like the rest of us normal beings it actually needs quite a bit of an effort to actually save up to fork out money for that expensive beauty product, i think we can turn to a cheaper alternative first and see what happens. Who knows, you may actually be in a for a surprise :)

What do you think?

Guest Batgirl

what i think is, this study is on wrinkle creams and i dotn use wrinkle creams so....yea.

i buy skin care products on suggestions, reviews etc. Not because of price. I try them all and see what works best for my skin. I'm actually using a $10 cleanser right now. and have been for months. If i found a cleanser that worked the same for more money but i found it before i found the $10 one, I wouldnt say it works good because i spent more money. But it works well just because who ever formulated it did a good job.

Before the $10 i was using a $45 cleanser.

Guest mz simmonz

I'm not suprised..a bottle of Oil Of Olay (which is like $10 or something?) had similar effects on my mom's skin as her $225 jar of Shiseido. The only difference was that they smelled different and the Shiseido was slightly thicker.

My dermatologist told me the same thing and I believe its true. I use mostly Olay & Aloe Vera products from my regular supermarket now and they work so much better for my skin than when I used to use products from Clinique, A Solution, Lancome, Amore etc.

Guest nobody knows

not much of a surprise

but I mean, people would rather trust main brand kind of things on their face rather than a no-name $1 cheapo, right?

..I dunno

but it's quite different for NAIL POLISH :lol: (make up for the nails) because the more expensive, the better the coating and color is (Milani). Whereas.. Claire's dinky nail polish looks bad and has bad texture ><

Guest peaches-n-cream

beauty products are a matter of trusting the brand and reading the reviews on the products... not necessarily just the price.

Hmm...I don't really have this problem, first, I don't have wrinkles...Mainly because I'm a bit young for them, but anyhow... But I don't use pimple cream or acne stuff either...Because I don't have pimples...So I'm lucky.

But I do spend on makeup and stuff...I buy MAC eyeliner and mascara...Because it's a respected brand...And I feel safer using it. I also have Clinique cleanser which is really good, but lots of people tell me the Clean&Clear one is equally good...I don't really know? It's just the fact that it's well-known that makes me feel better I guess...

I agree with JapaneseObsession when it comes to nail polish definitely, they give results...I tried some cheap nail polish and it completely wrecked my nails...I had to go and get a manicure to fix it up...Which made me spend about $30? So yeah...

Although... Some people INSIST that no-names are just as good. I don't really mind either way, expensive or not, as long as it does the job right?

Guest sulfuric_ACID

yeah when this estee lauder assistant was selling me this treatment for acne, i told her i'm not sure it'd work because when i tried the clinique one it didn't, and she told me oh don't buy it then, estee lauder and clinique have the same content for oily products or someething. apparrently they're under the samee...thingy dunno what the word is

In the long run, we're all dead.

haha. yea xD

sometimes, the product on you use causes more break-outs than when you don't use it. i know someone that uses a lot of products on her face & still have break outs

Guest seaweed333

of course u cant judge products on their price

u hafta judge them by how well they work & their ingrediants

coz usually cheaper products = cheaper ingrediants

loreal & estee lauder owns most of the expensive brands

think estee lauder owns mac??

Guest iDREAM?

i`m glad i`m not 50+ spending $ on any wrinkle creams yet O_o

only 10% (or less?!) wow.... i don`t even think i`ll bother when i`m old T_T;;

Guest sundubu <3

I'm not suprised..a bottle of Oil Of Olay (which is like $10 or something?) had similar effects on my mom's skin as her $225 jar of Shiseido. The only difference was that they smelled different and the Shiseido was slightly thicker.

olay is the best imo... shiseido does crap... you pay $$$ for nothing

to idream?: waiting until you're 50+ to start worrying about wrinkles is way too late. prevention, not treatment is always the way to go. for example, simple things like wearing spf when you're young now can pay off later, and it's more for health reasons i.e. preventing skin cancer rather than anti-aging reasons.

Guest deportedkorean

i dont think its the same for eyeshadow and nail polish.

mac has one of the best eyeshadow, the pigments are very rich...whereas, some cheap drugstore ones dont do the job that well.

nailpolish: the drugstore brands clump, bubble up more, and dont last as long as OPI nail polish.

Guest deportedkorean

to idream?: waiting until you're 50+ to start worrying about wrinkles is way too late. prevention, not treatment is always the way to go. for example, simple things like wearing spf when you're young now can pay off later, and it's more for health reasons i.e. preventing skin cancer rather than anti-aging reasons.

i think her point is that most of us dont need to use wrinkle cream (cream for existing wrinkles).

Guest justlovely12

hmm i dont wear make up but when my friends give me make up as gifts my mom tells me not to use it cuz it's cheap [and bad quality]

she says chanel make up is the the best :D

hmm i dont wear make up but when my friends give me make up as gifts my mom tells me not to use it cuz it's cheap [and bad quality]

she says chanel make up is the the best :D

she's right ^_^ chanel make-up has the best quality out of everythinggg i've ever used, and i've used ALOT of stuff before ><

ur research is about wrinkle creams so we can't really judge about the other products

but some things they are only more pricey because of the brand... but some are seriously because of the quality. the procey products are guaranteed and it makes you feel safer, its better for long run

i may sound stupid and materialistic... but my philosophy is to never go cheap on make up and skincare products. u dont h ave to use the best just dont use cheap ones and go with the at least decent ones

i dont think its the same for eyeshadow and nail polish.

mac has one of the best eyeshadow, the pigments are very rich...whereas, some cheap drugstore ones dont do the job that well.

nailpolish: the drugstore brands clump, bubble up more, and dont last as long as OPI nail polish.

i agree.. some drugstore products u can totally tell that its bad quality. so i think it does depend on what type of product it is

HMMM.. I never tried really expensive cosmetics because I never had the money to buy them (0___0), but Im willing to try Mary Kay & Anna Sui based on some suggestions. ^__^ However, the beauty products Ive used arent THAT CHEAP either because too cheap maybe dangerous. hehehe

I think not all cheap beauty products are as good as the expensive ones, but I think it depends too. ^__^

Archived