Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone From Ucla?

Replies

• cocoacocoa Los Angeles, CaliforniaPosts: 738Member
    I'm going to be a fourth year *shudders at thought* when I come back from studying abroad and I haven't joined any organizations or went to a single frat party. But I don't know if I'm really missing out O_O?
    image image

♥ rincakes
  • i n c _ m p l e t ei n c _ m p l e t e Melbourne (currently L.A.)Posts: 945Member
    Back at home, I'm not involved in anything at uni, which is probably why I haven't gotten much out of it. I've been more proactive here which is contributing towards a better experience.

BTW, where are you studying abroad? =)
    IT'S "DEFINITELY" NOT "DEFINATELY"
    GET IT RIGHT!

FACEBOOK.
  • crazypiloveecrazypilovee USAPosts: 682Member
    heyyy UCLA students, i have a questionn!!! i just got accepted to ucla for next yr as a freshman andd i was wondering how the academic life in UCLA is like? is it REALLY HARD to get As in ur classes and maintain a 3.8 GPA? (i'm thinking of going to med school haha..)
    i'm thinking of chosing between ucla and ucsd so i really need all the advice i can gettt!! THANKSS :]
  • LUX.LUX. Posts: 2,472Member
    Hey! Just got ACCEPTED image

I've never been able to visit UCLA, so I haven't seen the campus in person ><
    And I know this question is going to invite a lot of bias responses, but, if you can, from an objective POV, which housing is the best? And why? Or, actually, any information/impressions/opinions about any of the dormitories would be very much appreciated!! image

Please and thank you! image

*bump*

If not too much trouble, please help me and crazypilovee out! (see above!)

thanks(:

edited March 2008
    QUOTE (j'adore DIOR. @ Mar 20 2008, 10:57 PM) »
    Hey! Just got ACCEPTED image

I've never been able to visit UCLA, so I haven't seen the campus in person ><
    And I know this question is going to invite a lot of bias responses, but, if you can, from an objective POV, which housing is the best? And why? Or, actually, any information/impressions/opinions about any of the dormitories would be very much appreciated!! image

Please and thank you! image

Well that depends. Do you mind living in a place where you share bathrooms with the entire floor (of course different bathrooms for the boys and the girls). The rooms being small? Being potentially placed in a triple in a dorm room? The school has a tendency to accept a lot of students then runs out of housing space so they make doubles into triples.

I lived in Hedrick Hall for about 2 months. It was alright, I ultimately had some issues with my roommate and moved into Courtside, which is part of Sunset Village (which also has Delta Terrace and Canyon Point). Since these rooms are suites they are more expensive but are generally nicer and you have your own private bathrooms. I know they opened Rieber Terrace and I haven't been inside but I heard it's nice. If you get Hedrick or Hedrick Summit keep in mind you will be doing the most walking to campus and back.

I can't really say which housing is the best, it's based on what kind of experience you're looking for. You will have an easier time making friends in the dorms, probably. It depends what type of people are living on your floor. The dorms aren't really that bad, I probably would have stayed in Hedrick but with roommate problems, and the atmosphere of the floor I didn't feel like staying. You may have a better time in your dorm.
    The expensive suites are closed off and everyone stays in their rooms, depending on how social your area is. More freshman live in the dorms, you will find second and third years in the suites.

You should look on collegeconfidential.com boards, look for the UCLA thread. Also, look in the memories in the ucla livejournal, ucla.livejournal.com

I don't know if this was helpful at all ^^;;

Also, take my piece of advice. If you have problems with your roommate and you desperately want to move out, DO NOT go to your RA (despite what everyone says). I sat with my RA discussing why I wanted to move out and he just ran me around in circles trying to figure out a way to make me stay. Go straight to the housing office next to Sproul, ask if there are any available rooms because you want to move out. They will have more spaces in Sunset Village though than in the dorms. They'll give you a form that you will have to show to your Resident Director and you must get it signed.

crazypilovee, no, it's not hard to get As. But it depends on how hard you're willing to work for it (obvious answer). Since you want to go to med school (I'm assuming you will be a life science major than a physical science major?) you're going to have to take the requisite classes like math 3a, b, c, life science 1, 2, 3, 4, physics 6a, b, c, chemistry, etc. These classes are all very competitive because every science major has to take them along with the upper division classes tailored to their specific science major. I have had friends who got Cs, a lot of Bs, but my other friend studied hard and hasn't gotten anything lower than an A- in any of her classes. I'm not a science major (I was but I hated the calculus) so I'm afraid I can't go into any more detail. Study, study, study, do a lot of problems, read the book, go to the review sessions (this saved my life when I was taking Chemistry), maybe even study with friends. It always helps to go over things with other people. Good luck!

inc_mple..., I'm studying in England right now image
    image image

♥ rincakes
    QUOTE (cocoa @ Mar 22 2008, 10:37 PM) »
    Well that depends. Do you mind living in a place where you share bathrooms with the entire floor (of course different bathrooms for the boys and the girls). The rooms being small? Being potentially placed in a triple in a dorm room? The school has a tendency to accept a lot of students then runs out of housing space so they make doubles into triples.

I lived in Hedrick Hall for about 2 months. It was alright, I ultimately had some issues with my roommate and moved into Courtside, which is part of Sunset Village (which also has Delta Terrace and Canyon Point). Since these rooms are suites they are more expensive but are generally nicer and you have your own private bathrooms. I know they opened Rieber Terrace and I haven't been inside but I heard it's nice. If you get Hedrick or Hedrick Summit keep in mind you will be doing the most walking to campus and back.

I can't really say which housing is the best, it's based on what kind of experience you're looking for. You will have an easier time making friends in the dorms, probably. It depends what type of people are living on your floor. The dorms aren't really that bad, I probably would have stayed in Hedrick but with roommate problems, and the atmosphere of the floor I didn't feel like staying. You may have a better time in your dorm.
    The expensive suites are closed off and everyone stays in their rooms, depending on how social your area is. More freshman live in the dorms, you will find second and third years in the suites.

You should look on collegeconfidential.com boards, look for the UCLA thread. Also, look in the memories in the ucla livejournal, ucla.livejournal.com

I don't know if this was helpful at all ^^;;

Also, take my piece of advice. If you have problems with your roommate and you desperately want to move out, DO NOT go to your RA (despite what everyone says). I sat with my RA discussing why I wanted to move out and he just ran me around in circles trying to figure out a way to make me stay. Go straight to the housing office next to Sproul, ask if there are any available rooms because you want to move out. They will have more spaces in Sunset Village though than in the dorms. They'll give you a form that you will have to show to your Resident Director and you must get it signed.

You were very, very helpful! Thank you so much for your advice; it was definitely appreciated! ^_____^

• ladyatakariladyatakari Posts: 227Member
    I did a quick skim but for housing:

A lot of my friends really seem to love rieber terrace. It's right in the middle of everything and not very dead either. However, I would definitely NOT live there next year because Rieber Hall which is right next to it will be under construction.

In terms of being social, the halls are best for that, specifically Dykstra. Dykstra is located right across from Bruinwalk and is the closest dorm to campus. It is the most social of the halls.

Rieber hall would be best next after Sproul, and Hedrick hall last because it is the farthest. Sproul Hall is very nicely located as although it is not the closest to campus, it is the second closest and is right next to Bruincafe, Covel, and dead smack in the middle of the dining areas. I.E., DeNeve dining hall on the left, Covel on the right, and hedrick and rieber right up stairs on the right and left, respectively. If you are looking for a cheap dorm that's nicely located and good to live in, that would be sproul as it also just finished its reconstruction.

If you want to upgrade from the dorms for a spiffier living place but less social opportunities and a higher price, that would be the plazas. It will depend a lot on your floor, but most of the plazas are dead in terms of socializing. Mmm let's see. Rieber Terrace is nice, but again with Rieber Hall under construction you do not want to be there - same goes for Rieber Vista. Many people like DeNeve because it is close to campus. It's a nice place to live and I would pick DeNeve over Courtside, Delta Terrace, and Canyon Point because those areas are pretty much dead in terms of socializing. I think in terms of being dead, I would rank them Courtside, Canyon Point, and Delta Terrace, with Courtside being the least dead.

Courtisde is really nice because it has a little bamboo area inside of it and benches to sit in.

Delta Terrace has the biggest study lounges I've seen and I really like it there for that.

Canyon Point is...okay. It's rather isolated.

Hedrick Summit is very far, and the Saxon and Hitch Suites are not places you want to be if you're looking to socialize and have a close walk. The suites are farther then Hedrick Hall but are good for silence if that is what you are looking for.

Halls have community bathrooms and it's hard to find a quiet spot. It drives me absolutely insane when I need to study. Sproul has good study rooms, and Rieber has the best but it's going under construction. Hedrick Hall study rooms suck. Small and no internet access.

DeNeve has different buildings to it like Dogwood, Cedar, Fir, etc etc. You get your own bathroom and can have a triple or double. I'm not sure about singles.

Hedrick Summit you have to share bathrooms - that goes for Rieber Vista and Terrace too I think. I think Courtside has their own private bathrooms, but I'm not sure about Delta and Canyon Point.

Um..that's all I can think about for the housing. Sorry if it's spread out - I'm kind of sleepy. PM me if you have any questions. Hope it helped a bit.

Oh, courtside has nice study lounges too - I think there's TVs in some of them. In DeNeve there's a piano in one of the study lounges, and in Covel there's a study lounge upstairs somewhere and empty rooms you can use around past 6pm if they're not reserved.

Mmm...there are also TV lounges in sproul, hedrick, and rieber hall on the ground floors. Not sure about dykstra.

That's all I can remember now. ZzZzz
    QUOTE (ladyatakari @ Mar 27 2008, 02:01 AM) »
    I did a quick skim but for housing:

A lot of my friends really seem to love rieber terrace. It's right in the middle of everything and not very dead either. However, I would definitely NOT live there next year because Rieber Hall which is right next to it will be under construction.

In terms of being social, the halls are best for that, specifically Dykstra. Dykstra is located right across from Bruinwalk and is the closest dorm to campus. It is the most social of the halls.

Rieber hall would be best next after Sproul, and Hedrick hall last because it is the farthest. Sproul Hall is very nicely located as although it is not the closest to campus, it is the second closest and is right next to Bruincafe, Covel, and dead smack in the middle of the dining areas. I.E., DeNeve dining hall on the left, Covel on the right, and hedrick and rieber right up stairs on the right and left, respectively. If you are looking for a cheap dorm that's nicely located and good to live in, that would be sproul as it also just finished its reconstruction.

If you want to upgrade from the dorms for a spiffier living place but less social opportunities and a higher price, that would be the plazas. It will depend a lot on your floor, but most of the plazas are dead in terms of socializing. Mmm let's see. Rieber Terrace is nice, but again with Rieber Hall under construction you do not want to be there - same goes for Rieber Vista. Many people like DeNeve because it is close to campus. It's a nice place to live and I would pick DeNeve over Courtside, Delta Terrace, and Canyon Point because those areas are pretty much dead in terms of socializing. I think in terms of being dead, I would rank them Courtside, Canyon Point, and Delta Terrace, with Courtside being the least dead.

Courtisde is really nice because it has a little bamboo area inside of it and benches to sit in.

Delta Terrace has the biggest study lounges I've seen and I really like it there for that.

Canyon Point is...okay. It's rather isolated.

Hedrick Summit is very far, and the Saxon and Hitch Suites are not places you want to be if you're looking to socialize and have a close walk. The suites are farther then Hedrick Hall but are good for silence if that is what you are looking for.

Halls have community bathrooms and it's hard to find a quiet spot. It drives me absolutely insane when I need to study. Sproul has good study rooms, and Rieber has the best but it's going under construction. Hedrick Hall study rooms suck. Small and no internet access.

DeNeve has different buildings to it like Dogwood, Cedar, Fir, etc etc. You get your own bathroom and can have a triple or double. I'm not sure about singles.

Hedrick Summit you have to share bathrooms - that goes for Rieber Vista and Terrace too I think. I think Courtside has their own private bathrooms, but I'm not sure about Delta and Canyon Point.

Um..that's all I can think about for the housing. Sorry if it's spread out - I'm kind of sleepy. PM me if you have any questions. Hope it helped a bit.

Oh, courtside has nice study lounges too - I think there's TVs in some of them. In DeNeve there's a piano in one of the study lounges, and in Covel there's a study lounge upstairs somewhere and empty rooms you can use around past 6pm if they're not reserved.

Mmm...there are also TV lounges in sproul, hedrick, and rieber hall on the ground floors. Not sure about dykstra.

That's all I can remember now. ZzZzz

That was INCREDIBLY helpful! Thank you so much!

• CaitlinnnCaitlinnn South Pasadena, CAPosts: 263Member

ROOKIE

Can I ask more about the res halls? I'm wondering if there's any sort of "common room" in them, with like...couches, TV, tables, maybe a pool table, etc.

I was visiting Irvine and really liked that their housing had something like this, where people would gather and play video games and stuff, heh. Yeah, I'm kind of having a hard time deciding between Irvine and LA (well, if my LA appeal gets me accepted, which it very well might...)

Basically just any details about the res halls here, I'd be happy to hear about... I may not have a chance to take a housing tour at UCLA, I'm afraid.
    I am studying abroad in Korea for 2 semesters!
    Read about it here (WordPress) or here (Tumblr).

image-947-25129.jpg
  • lilpucal0v3rlilpucal0v3r soompi addict BPPosts: 992Member
    hi, did any of you guys pick ucla over ucb? what was/is your major, what area do you live in, and what was the deciding factor??

please help me out, im going crazy trying to decide.
    IPB Image
  • amyjeehyeamyjeehye SoCal :)Posts: 914Member
    UCLA-

is it possible for incoming freshman to get a single room?
  • ooqwinster87ooooqwinster87oo Posts: 25Member
    QUOTE (amyjeehye @ Apr 3 2008, 06:04 PM) »
    UCLA-

is it possible for incoming freshman to get a single room?

yes, just request for one when you're applying for your housing. isnt it going to be a bit lonely? image j/a
  • misosomi007misosomi007 Posts: 9Member
    yay! UCLA. go bruins!
    I am going to UCLA as a freshman Fall 2008. i'm pretty excited!
    are there any other 2008 UCLA freshman here in soompi?
    oh and i did have to decide between Uc berkeley and UC LA.
    i decided LA because its farther from my home (i live in northern cali) , they are strong in my major (life sciences) and i just like the city better than berkeley in general since i've been to both. it helps a lot to visit.
    i hope you (lilpucal0v3r) decide . good luck in whatever you choose!
  • HUAYHUAY tkfkddk, djeldi? ? Upstate NY --&#62; Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,442Friend of Soompi

IDOL

Rawr :{ Why dont soompis go to UCLA? loll
    +_+
    Anyway D: I just chose UCLA over JHU (submitted SIR on the 29th). So yeah. =O rawr.

Out of state desu +_+ actually, all the way across the country @_@
  • eatadandelioneatadandelion Paris, FrancePosts: 1,030Member
    My friend needs a roomate! well if you're looking for an off campus apartment, I know where you could live.
    Message me if you are interested, i'll send you the link and i'll give you more info!
    you'll love ucla!! especially the food! >.<

QUOTE (lilpucal0v3r @ Apr 3 2008, 07:19 PM) »hi, did any of you guys pick ucla over ucb? what was/is your major, what area do you live in, and what was the deciding factor??

please help me out, im going crazy trying to decide.

I can completely relate!

I picked UCLA over Berkeley. let's just say it was
    a tough decision :/
    im double majoring in molecular bio and french.
    UCLA is only about an hour away from where I live
    and even though I have family up in San
    Francisco, i wanted to be able to come home
    on the weekends plus Berkeley isnt surrounded
    by many things and it is a bit boring. I like the
    ucla campus better and it's surroundings image
    There isn't much to do a ucb =/

I guess it depends on what matters to you most,
    they are BOTH great schools. depends on whether or
    not you're an outgoing person, or if you like the city
    life better.. and will you come home on the weekends?
    I guess it just depends on your preferences >.<

Good luck deciding!
    If anyone has an apt for the next school year and is looking for 2 girls to live with, my friend and I are looking for housing!! We're studying abroad right now so we haven't been able to look around at all ._.
    image image

♥ rincakes
  • spicyspaghetti6spicyspaghetti6 Posts: 325Member
    ^^^^ the orange and banana cheating in the fridge signature is awesome.

OK. this is kind of off topic but...

to the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. this is a stick up! haha.

basically, there's a tutoring job available in socal. quick info: teach korean elementary kids (the kids are 100% english speaking; born here), $18/hour, in socal La Crescenta. UCLA students are PERFECT for this position. there's much more info here:

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217679

if you calculate the hours x rate, in the summer you'll be making a little over 2,000 a month, which is not bad at all. no taxes eating your pay either.

now on topic:

OP i'm sure you'll like UCLA, it's a great school. a lot of hot girls if you're into that thing ;)

FIGHT ON
    i'd like to thank graceyoon and melkimx for warning me to 40%. thank you from the bottom of my heart.
  • pRoJeKtAzNpRoJeKtAzN SF/UCLAPosts: 79Member
    I know this thread is old, but I didn't want to start a new thread about UCLA housing...

So, I'll be going to UCLA in the fall as a transfer student, and I finally got my housing offer just last week, and I was offered a single in Hedrick Summit. Anyone here from UCLA that can tell me a thing or two about it? Is the walk to classes really that much farther than from other housing buildings? Is it really that "dead" socially? Any input from you guys is greatly appreciated!