[drama 2008] Robbers 불한당

Guest o-cha

but beyond that, in ep 7, I thought there was a kind of awkward scene when Jin Goo goes up to MAn Doo and maniac-ally [made up word meant to mean "as if like a maniac or pertaining to maniac-ness] asks him to believe in him or if he believes in him... I understand it leads to important scene (the scene where they dance and lose their voices so that Dalrae has to lean in to hear) and it keeps the pacing up but personally... i thought it was very surreal.

it seems like no one else minded because there are raving reviews for ep 7, and i agree it was a nice episode but.. this scene really stuck out because... it was so strange. Do normal people do that? Even if they did... do they do it that way? I think the argument that he needed trust from another person before he does anything true... is sweet...... but the way it played out was less unconvincing.

Monoceros, I understand somehow why you felt that way at the scene. People normally dont do that, and that's why that scene was so special to me. OhJoon wants to be transformed to a new being to go to Dalrae, but he cannot trust himself because his universe is so corrupted. If someone, maybe with pure heart, can stand behind him, and trust and support what he dares to do, then he thinks he can make it. The someone should be Mandoo who knows OhJoon the most in the world and is an only friend of OhJoon.

Mandoo, however, did not believe in OJ's will for change. Maybe Mandoo got tired of OJ (although he still likes OJ) and gave up the possibility of his transformation. OhJoon was desperate to earn Mandoo's approval of his will to change!

I get a hunch on that the Tarjar song insinuates their past stories, i.e., the time they've been together, happiness and sorrow that they've shared together.... I think that's why the scene of Tarjan performanc was felt that sad and moving despite that the lyric itself is just simple and funny. Besides, OhJoon is a kind of person who cares a lot about appearance and manner. (Remember? He had a cigarrette to his lips even when his face was covered with blood.^^) It is ridiculous to perform that stupid song to the public, and he never done it since he's grown up, I guess. Maybe that's one of the least things in the world he likes to do.

Then, now OhJoon's doing what he thought to be stupid. That touches Mandoo's heart and he finally joined the stupid performance.

Symbolically the scene must be meaningful as well. People threw trash at him, laughing at him as this would really happen to Ohjoon in the short future. Mandoo embraces OhJoon! That is the most moving moment!

I am not sure if this helped out to make the scene more sensical to you, Monoceros.

Ripgal, I am totally with you about the scene.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi. is this drama good ? is it like sad ish or funny ish ? is it interesting ? i dont know.. should i watch it ? x)

Hi ♥Love♥, this drama Robbers is sad and funny at the same time. Worth watching!

Guest imogene_af

Jo- Awww thanks for sharing that Shinwa story. :lol: OhmyGod, I love Eric even more for liking Robbers. :lol: Bonus HOT points for him!

hi. is this drama good ? is it like sad ish or funny ish ? is it interesting ? i dont know.. should i watch it ? x)

It's both sad-ish and funny-ish. :lol:

Monoceros- I thought so too he was sooooo ridiculous for doing that, but it just showed his desperation to have his friend back. The background music in that scene made it so touching. But I think it was done on purpose for us to sit there and go "WHAT THE HELL AM I WATCHING?!" :lol:

We need to return this kiss gif from a few pages back!

rb001.gif

^I'm watching both at the moment. But in terms of quality of the script and direction, Robbers wins hands down. I love Bad Love too (not because of the script tho, I think it's lousy. But it's addictive..). Duno why I like it so much despite the bad script.. maybe it's because of KSW..hehehe..

Robbers is a very different and unique melodrama. It doesn't make you weep or cry all the time, but instead a lot of the scenes make you feel very warm and comfy. It can make you laugh at times, and next you'll be bawling your eyes out. Some scenes my seem cliche and typical to you, but actually it's not if you look closer. It's a very character driven drama.. not so much of the conventional melo drama I'd say.

Guest ♥Love♥

oh man i agree too! i watched it because of KSW and i love the show but i hate the plot.. like really its so stupid that they wont get together and ppl dying and stuff etc etc. haha everyone loves it but they hate it x]

Finally got done with Episode 8 and I really liked it. The performances were all very good from the bit parts to the leads.

Hello there o-cha! Miss your insights! Get back to Robbers...stat! :lol: Forget vacation! J/p.

WARNING: Review may be a bit spoilery. You may want to skip.

BITTERSWEET SYMPHONY: Robbers Episode 8 Review

We are officially half-way through this drama and it has been one hell of a ride. Bulhandang strengths come in its tenderness but at the same time it has kept me on the edge of my seat, clobbering in anxiety. This episode does have its tense moments that would usually keep me unsettled, but this time, they put a rather bittersweet twist in everything. As the first half comes full circle it dawns on me. In the world of contrasts and realizations--- at least in this drama’s episode… well I can only perfectly describe it as bittersweet.

Can't agree with you more, Imogene. You speak my mind. ;)

I have rarely followed this closely on forum trail but you guys are brilliant with words capturing the smallest but very important details of the plot.

Thank you all for your insight ! :)

Thank you ay_link and WITHS2 ! I'm sure I'll have fun watching episode 5...it is so intense...I'm sute I'll enjoy it more with eng subs.

ripgal : yay..you watched eps 7..Isn't it such a sweek episode? Episode 7 is purely <3 ..hehehe.

imogene_af : I don't think I should watch eps 8 today...I watched eps 7 last night and ended up staying awake until 2 AM..probably not a good way to spend vacation..instead of resting up I ended up staring at my laptop the whole time watching..hehehe.

monoceros : I agree that it is unfair for Jin Goo to just blame his father..but I think it's really just his pent up frustration finally 'exploding'. All of his thirtysomething years he's kept his mouth shut about his feelings towards his father. Now he finally has the courage to speak up...I hope the two patch things up in the future...at least they are finally beginning to open up to one another.

bjharm : I'm actually beginning to doubt that we will ever know what caused Oh Joon to choose a profession as a con-man. Somehow I get the feeling that maybe the writer wants to portray him as a 'bad' person.

When I think about Oh Joon I think that the reason why he still cons women (despite him being a pretty intelligent/street smart guy) is that conning women is easy money for him...and since he is so good at that why would he want to change profession. Yeah he isn't proud of his profession and he secretly despises himself for doing that..but the money is just too easy...plus he has yet to find a reason to stop...until he fell for Dal Rae that is....

I want to know why he became a con-man...but like I said somehow I'm not sure if that will ever ve answered..I sure hope it does get answered though.

ww2000hyuk , jahye : thanks for the pics. jahye--love how you have the 3 pics of Jin Goo with the 3 ladies..hehehe.

cutiepie , ripgal : much love to you two for the BTS, MV, and the OST links. You two are awesome.

Yes sometimes you can forget that this is all a TV show. And character development can be effected by so many things, from lazy writing to a hurry to keep on sceduale I believe a lot of Korean drama are often written or rewritten almost daily. I guess when you come down to it , it up to the actor to do the best they can to make their character believable. Countless people do bad things everyday and know it but can not find the motivation to change, perhaps as you say Dal Rea maybe his.

ow and does Jang Hyuk still sing at all? I remember he sung one of the ost for Successful Story of a Bright Girl way back in 2002, in fact that where I know him from as that show is one of my all time fav, sorry I am just a sucker for cute girls with big eyes like Jang Nara, and still hold a flame for her now, even though she disappeared into china these days. I read that if they can most popular singers try to get into acting/cv as there is little $ in singing in korea, perhaps that why he stop singing ?

QUESTION:

I didn't want to ask it - if already answered, but I've read back all the way through comments on ep. 7.

When JinGu calls Dalrae - this is AFTER the apology to his ex-wife,

AFTER his playdate in the mall with SoonDae -

AFTER sitting of the couch smiling at the 2 PUCCA dolls -

JinGu calls Dalrae -

he stands up for the call - and reads her the riot act - meaning he's telling her off -

everyone in his office is looking toward him -

and he doesn't let Dalrae speak -

he delivers this angry discourse and just hangs up -

so the QUESTION is:

What was he saying to Dalrae -

(Dalrae's NEXT phone call was to Yoon Ah.)

Anyone have a minute to give a brief translation of that phone call from him to her?

so the QUESTION is:

What was he saying to Dalrae -

(Dalrae's NEXT phone call was to Yoon Ah.)

Anyone have a minute to give a brief translation of that phone call from him to her?

JG: How much do you really know about Kwon Oh joon !

DR: What /

JG: something is not right

[XX] doesnt have any fund manager by the name of Kwon Oh joon

DR: What are you doing ? ! are you really so free

JG: NO! .i have tons of things for me to handle . i am an extremely busy man

I haev never been concerned with other people 'e matter in my entire life!

it's you Dae Ral si who want me to be concerned with other people!

It doesnt matter if you believe it or not , but i still have to say it

there is no fund manager named Kwon Oh Joon

that man lied to Kim Dae Rae Si

If you do not want me to meddle in others affaris , then i wont!

i also dont want to be concerned with this anymore!

Why do i cared so much about Kim Dae Ral si!

I cant understand it myself too!

[XX] is the company that Dal Rae sasaid he was from .er but i cant catch the name of it

but oh joon did get that Santa Claus rally / Santa rally right lol .that was a surprise . he really does his homework .

hmm about jin goo's father ...er dun anyone think he might be in the money lender business --; aka his money is actually not clean ..or maybe i miss out what business was he actually in ...and about why jin goo is shouting out about how his father didnt play airplane with him ....that i think is just his little steps taken to say what he had kept in him ..of course not playing planes with him wont render him into what he become .but it was the lack of father's attention and who knows how did the father really behave then if he only .just neglect him or ..demand too much of him ..that can create a scar that is deeper then you realise ..and what follows his adulthood ..Jin goo had not gone into that yet ...but the writer is not just letting him blame all on his father .but rather ..letting jin goo find out that he can be another different person ..that he is now ...and let go of just blaming his father if he doesnt make his own efforts to be different

--

ohh. his exwife and jin goo~ .ah his apology .~

JG: I am sor-rr-ry

Exwife : what did you say , can you repeat it ?

JG: I am sorry

Exwife: that's a surprise , that you are able to say such words?

JG: i hope that you can accept my apology

Exwife : but , i dont want to accept your apology .

if i accept it right now , then jin goo si will just leave right away, right?

can you say it with more details ?

what do you think you are sorry about ?

why do you think you need to aplogised

JG: not being able to stop father's rudeness towards you

Exwife : and ?

JG: not agreeing to have a kid

Just that ..

i thought that an adult life is already so tedious

I really do not have the confidence to live with a little one

Ex Wife : and ? what else ?

JG: i didnt ask you to stay when you left me

Ex-wife : you are really quite adorable/cute.

if i know you are such an adorable man

it will be better if i hadnt left and stay by your side to wait

Just as you see now , i 've become this [ i think meant she now a mother ]

this little one is a major driving force for me

i am very happy now

so there's no need for you to feel sorry towards from now on

hmm about jin goo's father ...er dun anyone think he might be in the money lender business --; aka his money is actually not clean ..or maybe i miss out what business was he actually in ...
That would actually make sense - the connection between Mr. Gangsta - Ho Jin and Jin Goo. Hmm...

EDIT: When Jin Goo's father comes to his office and knocks things over, he tells Jin Goo that things haven't been going well, lately, with his money. Too many people have been running off with his money, to China and to Southeast Asia. He's going to catch them all. He offers Jin Goo some sort of business proposition and 20%...30%...40%...even 50%, but Jin Goo says he would refuse even with 100%. Jin Goo says if he does what his father wants, he wouldn't be a fund manager, he'd be something else (I think he mentions the possibility of going to prison?? if he complies with dad).

I'm finally getting around to watching episode 7, but I've been enjoying reading this week's commentaries very much, as usual. I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the scenes between Oh Joon and Soon Dae were not only cute but funny, too. After playing "horse" and "airplane" they play hide-and-seek. While Soon Dae is hiding under the covers in her mom's room, OJ comes looking for her. He says that he will introduce her to a boyfriend - a great guy named Man Doo. Then, when they are eating, Soon Dae asks him if he has hair down there (I'm not familiar with the word she uses - basically a nickname for his male area). Then she says, nonchalantly, my mom does [have hair down there], and he spits out his food. LOL!!! Just like when she was at the bathhouse with her mom and grandma, this little girl doesn't miss a beat. I couldn't stop laughing!! :w00t:

That would actually make sense - the connection between Mr. Gangsta, Ho Jin, and Jin Goo. Hmm...

I'm finally getting around to watching episode 7, but I've been enjoying reading this week's commentaries very much, as usual. I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the scenes between Oh Joon and Soon Dae were not only cute but funny, too. After playing "horse" and "airplane" they play hide-and-seek. While Soon Dae is hiding under the covers in her mom's room, OJ comes looking for her. He says that he will introduce her to a boyfriend - a great guy named Man Doo. Then, when they are eating, Soon Dae asks him if he has hair down there (I'm not familiar with the word she uses - basically his male area). Then she says, nonchalantly, my mom does [have hair down there], and he spits out his food. LOL!!! Just like when she was at the bathhouse with her mom and grandma, this little girl doesn't miss a beat. I couldn't stop laughing!! :w00t:

lol i know ! ..i see her standing up somemore .so i know where she is refering to .lol it was so hilarous and embrassing also -- and then oh joon even told dal rae what her daughter asked --;!

Shirley and hjkomo and ALL OF the rest of you guys , thanks for the extra translations -

I've missed you guys so much - had a computer "crash" - 4 days later ($300 plus) only to have it STILL not work -

and to find out - i only needed a $10 widget ! isn't that the way of the world...something I could have picked up around the corner and plugged in with my own 2 hands....sigh....

I worked in earnest to come back to the thread - and read all the well written and well thought out comments.

This series - you threaders - keep brain cells busy!

Outstanding work - worth everyminute of fighting to get back to here!

OMG I found something very interesting about Robbers..it's related to 2 members of Shinhwa Andy and Eric.. :lol:

I'm not sure if it's true, but I found this in a chinese forum, translated by a Shinhwa fan who just accounted what Andy said in the Shinhwa Concert..

When they were asked about their recent leisure activities at home, Andy said he and Eric were quite engrossed with a recent drama Robbers. And they were particularly intrigued by Soon Dae and Jin Goo's scene in Ep 4 where she was adamant that Jin Goo should play the "aeroplane" with her if he wanted to apologise. Apparently, playful Andy and Eric actually "role-played" that scene a lot of times.. and to add on, they even called their friends asking them if they wanted to play "aeroplane"... :lol:

credits:

神话私窦 by 金yy

Shinhwa BD吧 by偶的六头啊

百度andy吧 夜夜An心

---

Sooo cute..seems like Robbers is not only attracting Ahjummas..hehehe..

reallie??? lol this is so cute of ricdy~! haha so cute, they are so dorky....so they do have time to watch dramas....anyways...im on episode 5 it's so good so far, i love it! and wataching this i like janghyuk more and more xPPP

gah! did i ever say that i hate school!!! (i know i did like a hundred times but im stressing a point okay?!) hahahaha waaaaa im super lost with the thread now that i really do not know where to begin!!! wahahahahaha!!! i haven't backtracked any of the posts yet but im not really expecting that i would anytime soon... id probably dig through these pages for imogene's, ripgal's, o-cha's, and lilyrose's reviews on the episodes... waaaa the last episode ive watched was i think episode three... wahh i know you people should probably might as well kick me out of this room, right... hahahaha since i wouldn't add any value to your ever-so-intelligently-analyzed-insights regarding each scenes... hahahahaha

anyway has any of the episodes been in anyway bad or disappointing? hahaha oh well i wouldnt care so long as Da Hae is in it hahahaha weeeeee off to watch episodes 4 and 5 then to reading the oh so wonderful reviews weeeeeeeee

Thanks for all the people posting reviews, BTS, clips, screencaps or whatever!!!

WITH S2 thanks for the subs!!! you simply rock my world!!! what would i do without you wahahahaha

Archived