04 . 하늘위로

05 . Baby Boy

06 . Hit This Party

07 . Super Fly

08 . Get That

09 . Left To The Right

10 . Big Lexy

11 . 하늘위로 (REMIX)

Need a little fun this year? Tired of the boring ballads or preppy pop songs? Then try out Lexy's 3rd album, Rush. Released more than 2 years after her highly anticipated second album, Lexy had once again proved that she is a powerhouse performer. Her deep, yet sexy vocal style adds depth to her songs while her swift and slick rapping is just something to be amazed by. If that isn't enough to make you try this album out, Lexy has collaborated with numerous artists on the album, including Big Bang's Taeyang, TOP and G-Dragon, R&B songstress Ji Eun or YG's well known trainee, Park Bom.

하늘위로 is just pure fun. Pounding beats, silly synths, a hypnotizing melody and Ji Eun being featured will definitely make this song get stuck in your head. Lexy gives us a taste of her well known rapping, while also incorporating her sexy style of singing, that goes nicely with the heavy and repetitive beats. If you aren't satisfied then, you can also check out the remix version which gives the song an extra dance sound, leaving out the strong hip-hop beats for a lighter, but enchanting quality.

Songs like Get Up (intro) or Rush incorporate the popular Taeyang of Big Bang, who not only gives each of these songs a airy sounding quality, but also acts as an opposite to Lexy's strong rapping. If you're already having fun with those songs, 쿵쿵 brings a mix of both dance and R&B in one. A repetitive, yet catchy melody, this song seems to bring everything from the title track as well as Rush. Some will also have fun with songs like the melodic Super Fly, or the smooth Baby Boy.

So if you want an album that is fun, yet solid, don't be afraid to try this album out. Each and every track is full of top-notch quality, so if you like 1 song, you'll probably like the rest.

Rating: 5/5

5/5 - Even if you're not a fan of this artist/group this album is a must buy.

4/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you must buy this album.

3/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you might want to add this one to your collection.

2/5 - I don't think a fan would even buy this.

1/5 - You might as well just flush your money down the toilet.

*This review can be added to the soompi site.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

SNSD - Girls' Generation

coveraz5.jpg

1. 소녀시대 (Girls' Generation)

2. Ooh La-La!

3. Baby Baby

4. Complete

5. Kissing You

6. Merry-Go-Round

7. 그대를 부르면 (Tears)

8. Tinkerbell

9. 7989 [Kangta & Tae Yeon Duet]

10. Honey

11. Into The New World

This is SNSD's first highly-anticipated album. SNSD (So Nyuh Shi Dae/少女時代/소녀시) is SM's 9 member girl group consisting of leader Tae Yeon, Seo Hyun, Hyo Yeon, Soo Young, Tiffany, Yoona, Yuri, Jessica and Sunny. They're all skilled in singing, dance and languages including English, Korean, Japanese and Chinese.

Into The New World is their famous and popular song which they debuted with in August 1st, 2007. It's a very catchy, happy pop track with an equally cute and catchy dance. Girls' Generation is the latest single, which also has a cute and happy beat and feel to it.

Other recommended tracks include Merry-Go-Round which is a sweet, catchy song where the girls harmonize very well and Tears, a ballad, which is different to their other dancey songs but still shows their vocals nicely. One of the other 'talked-about' songs is Tae Yeon and Kangta's duet 7989.

Overall, the album does include quite catchy songs - mainly cute, dancey pop ones or slower, sweet songs. SNSD do have good voices and sound even better singing together.

* This review can be added to the Soompi site.

Guest Hitorijime

Park Jung Ah (박정아) - Vol. 1 Yeah

yeahoa9.jpg

01 . My time

02 . 결국...사랑 (Featuring 전제덕)

03 . Yeah...

04 . 눈물을 멈추고

05 . Fly Away

06 . D-day(하루만 더)

07 . Don't let me go

08 . Beautiful today

09 . 이러지 마세요

10 . 약해질까봐

11 . You're my friend

When one hears of the word Jewelry in Korean music, they think of the girl group that switched between Japan and Korea, who were known for their catchy songs. Since their debut however, many members have left, though 2 have still stayed in hopes of the group returning from their current status. Park Jung Ah has always been known for her voice, whether it was singing lead for that popular group or now, as a soloist. Yeah is Park Jung Ah's debut solo effort and it is by far one of the strongest albums out there. The switch from the mainstream pop to a powerful and solid pop/rock sound definitely puts Jung Ah at the top. So how good is this album you say?

If one were to describe the title track, Yeah, in a simple way, it would be this: "Damn amazing". Park Jung Ah pulls off one of her best performances yet. Sweet, but calm in the verses, Jung Ah totally switches around in the chorus', where she provides an edgier quality to her voice that goes great with the song, allowing it to flourish with the true attitude it deserves. If her voice isn't good enough to get you into the song, the song itself will. A sweet, but insanely catchy pop melody added with great lyrics about standing tall again prove that this isn't another average love song. If there is one song to listen to, it is this one!

Though Yeah is definitely the highpoint of the album, there are other amazing tracks on the album. My Time incorporates a much rougher rock quality to the sound, though the overall structure is similar to that of Yeah. Park Jung Ah also gives a much stronger vocal performance which will leave you with goosebumps. However, for those who want to relax, Eventually Love (결국...사랑) is the perfect track for you. Whether it's the soothing acoustic guitars with Jung Ah's controlled, but sweet vocals, this is also a great addition to the album, especially when she performs it live. Other great tracks include everything else on the album.

So if you're in the mood for some rocking, or just some acoustic love, Yeah is one of the best out there. The album screams with quality from the first to the last track. Park Jung Ah has definitely put out a strong foot in the soloist field and it will be hard to top this great album. YEAH!

5/5

3/5 - If you're a fan of this artist/group, you might want to add this one to your collection.

Guest twothree

Mary Story Vol. 1 Mary Story

p1005079083tu5qv3.jpg

Track List:

01 sum

02 ituhya handa

03 nuh ubsin hangbokhal su ubjanah

04 majimaki oneyo

05 U Know I LUV U

06 gregre nuhn

07 Believe

08 Movie, In Love

09 nuh ubsin hangbokhal su ubjanah (Original Ver.)

10 maria

11 I

12 bimyeong

13 Stay Again

I don't know much about this group but they seem to be a new rock ballad band since this is their first album. The album is full of love songs; there isn't even one "happy" song. Through out the album, you hear one man's anguish and pain with electrifying instruments to make you bop your head a bit.

nuh ubsin hangbokhal su ubjanah is a good title song with "typical" rock rhythms. What I mean by "typical" rock rhythms is that it starts out with a bang, slows down, picks up its pace, slows down, etc. The song is very easy to listen and the singer is full of emotion in this song, and in other songs too.

Another song that I love as much as the title song is "U Know I LUV U." Again, this album is full of heart wrenching sounds. "Maria" is another great song and this is the song that, I think, comes pretty close to a hardcore rock song because you hear him scream the name Maria.

I highly recommend this album to those that like to listen to ballad songs with a mixture of rock in them. Mary Story is similar to F.T. Island but Mary Story is more heavy rock oriented. One complaint is that Mary Story's sounds lack "originality." Some of the instrumental sounds remind me of other American songs or other Korean songs. Also, all the songs, if not for the different lyrics, sound the same. However, do not avoid this album. I think their album is very easy to listen to. If you feel like banging your head a bit while being moved by a sad voice, this is definitely the album for you!

According to the Soompi ratings, I give this a 5/5 because 5/5 = Even if you're not a fan of this artist/group this album is a must buy. But, if I were to judge it for it's creativity and quality, I give this a 3.8 (which is definitely good, imo).

Rating=5/5

Younha - Vol. 1.5 Comet

Younha1_5.jpg

01 Comet

02 More of Just the Two of Us

03 During the First Snow

04 Touch

05 Under One Umbrella

06 Holding Hands

07 If

08 A Bright Sky Tomorrow

09 Promise

10 Sunflower

11 Blue Light Lemon

12 Orange First Love

13 Remembrances are Wonderful Memories

14 Comet (Instrumental)

15 First Snow (Instrumental)

Younha has made a comeback after her huge success with her first Korean album in the beginning of this year. She has already won many awards including Best New Solo Artiste at the Mnet Korean Music Festival Awards. In October, Younha released a Korean version of her debut Japanese album, Go! Younha and unsurprisingly, it has been doing well with the title track, Comet, which was the ending theme song for the Japanese anime, Bleach. Younha is doing exceptionally well on music charts with this song. Other tracks enclosed in this album are various singles Younha released in Japan since 2004. The album consists of lively Japanese-style ballads, along with powerful piano playing, making a total of 15 songs in this 1.5 album.

The title track Comet, which may be the reason for Younha's rising fame in Japan, is sung in Korean in this album. The piano and guitar instrumentals blend especially well with Younha's strong vocals. This energetic song makes listeners want to sing along to the lyrics.

My personal favorites in this album are tracks 03 First Snow, 05 Under One Umbrella, and 06 Holding Hands. Track 03 is a ballad about the realization of love during the first snow. Younha starts off calmly and leads listeners to a dramatic chorus. Track 05 starts off with soothing instrumentals and later on with Younha's vocals. The song is very calming and is a must-listen. It is also my favorite track of the album. This medium-tempo song has positive lyrics of a relationship which would change a person's world. Track 06 is a bit more upbeat and once again the background instrumentals will lure listeners.

There are a variety of up-tempo and medium-tempo songs as well as ballads, so fans will enjoy this album. Korean listeners especially may enjoy this album as they are able to hear the lyrics of the songs in their native language. However, because this album is basically a remake of her previous Japanese album, it may not interest all listeners who are familiar with the Japanese versions of the songs. Also the styles of the songs are different from her original Korean songs, so people who became Younha fans through her Korean songs may not enjoy this album as much. On a more positive note, this album includes two instrumentals which are not available in the Japanese album.

Rating: 3/5

As mentioned before, because Comet is basically a remake album, unless you are a fan, you might not want to add this to your collection because these songs were already released in Japanese.

Guest Hitorijime

Lim Jeong Hee (임정희) - Vol. 3 Before I Go J-Lim

LimJeongHee3.jpg

01 . Before I Go J-LIM

02 . 사랑에 미치면 (Feat. 아웃캐스트 빅보이&J.Y.PARK "THE ASIAN SOUL") (Sarange Mijimyeon Ft. Outcast's Big Boi & J.Y.PARK "THE ASIAN SOUL")

03 . 품 (Pum)

04 . 사랑의 반대말 (Sarangeui Bandaemar)

05 . 해요 (Feat. 미료 from Brown eyed girls) (Haeyo)

06 . LOVE (Feat. PDOGG)

07 . 그녀에게 가버리세요 (Geunyuege Gabeoriseyo)

08 . 안돼 (Andwae)

09 . 이런 사랑 저런 사랑 (Feat.J.Y.PARK "THE ASIAN SOUL") (Iri Sarang Jeoreon Sarang)

10 . 이별선언 (Ebyeorseoneon)

11 . 들어요 (Feat. K.will) (Deureoyo)

12 . 사랑이 끝나면 (Sarangi Ggeutnamyeon)

Often considered the Korean counterpart of Alicia Keys, Lim Jeong Hee has developed quite a fanbase in her recent years of work. Though she said she was going to pursue a career in the US, it seems that the songstress has returned a bit to release her 3rd Korean album. Before I Go J-Lim has continued where her first and second albums left off at and has continued her stable success in the Korean industry. The album also provides a nice set of collaborations from Outcast's Big Boi to the man who started her career, JYP.

Sarange Mijimyeon is a great way to get into the album. Though not as strong as her previous first singles, the song contains J-Lim's R&B vibes as well as her signature vocals. Husky, yet powerful, J-Lim is one of the best singers in the Korean industry these days and it is easily visible throughout this song. Hitting all the high notes right on, J-Lim also shows off her ability to control her vocals. But that isn't all the song offers. The use of the acoustic guitar during the verses definitely allows the song to vibrate, while the added percussion in the chorus strengthen the song's overall power. The background vocals are also a great asset (as with all Lim Jeong Hee songs), as they provide the foundation that allows J-Lim to launch her adlibs.

Like her previous albums, Before I Go J-Lim shows off beautiful ballads. Pum is especially great, as the ballad allows J-Lim to give one of her best performances. The sad, but mid-tempo melody also mixes nicely with the rather slow-paced music, which gives the song a somewhat, urgent feel that only heightens J-Lim's vocals. The album also gives fans more than just depressing ballads, as there are also a few upbeat tracks. LOVE (Feat. PDOGG) is a great example of those, as both artistes' vocals mix nicely together with the flowing R&B melody. Iri Sarang Jeoreon Sarang is also another nice upbeat track, as it is similar to something that an artiste such as Ivy might perform. The song doesn't contain any powerful vocals by J-Lim, but uses the catchy melody and funky rapping by JYP to provide entertainment.

Before I Go J-Lim is an album for many as it is probably her most solid work yet. Much like her last album, this one contains more ballads, but has a lighter quality about it, which allows all the songs to flow nicely with one another. So, if you're looking for a "singer", be sure to look out for Lim Jeong Hee. She might've debuted in 2005, but has definitely shown that she is no rookie in the music industry.

5/5

Tim – Vol. 4 Love Is…

Tim4.jpg

01 Explanation for Using My Heart

02 Thankful Miracle

03 Soliloquy

04 The War Inside Me

05 As Much As I Love

06 Serendipity

07 Wish List

08 Affection

09 I Don’t Regret It

10 You Are to Me

11 Wonderful Life

12 Walk on Water

Tim has finally released his highly anticipated fourth album six months after a digital single and a little over a year since his last studio album. Consisting of twelve tracks, Tim’s album is filled with songs of new color and more pop-ish melodies compared to those in his previous albums. Many famous composers such as Kim Young Hoo and Kim Tae Sung who were responsible for producing songs for BoA, DBSG, and Big Bang have created songs for Tim as well.

Tim’s fourth album starts off with 'Explanation for Using My Heart' (Track 1) - a medium tempo track which he successfully masters with his soothing voice. This song helps in the smooth transition to Soliloquy (Track 3), one of the songs I recommend from this album. Also medium tempo track, 'Soliloquy' starts off with calming instrumentals, leading to Tim’s melodic voice. 'The War Inside Me' (Track 4) is a upbeat song something different from Tim’s normal works. The synthesizer sounds listeners hear throughout the song captures their attentions and Tim’s dramatic voices only further captivates them to finish through the song, hungry for more. This upbeat song is a must listen. The title track, 'As Much As I Love' (Track 5) is a ballad, which is what Tim has always been known for. As usual, this song does not let any expectations down. He successfully masters this song about being hurt from love and not being able to forget it. Another mentionable track would be 'Walk on Water' (Track 12) which is a Christian ballad sung in English. Tim is able to bring out his religious beliefs as well as his American roots through this song. Christian listeners as well as native English speakers may especially enjoy this track.

Recommended Tracks: 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 12

I felt that Tim’s fourth album was more enjoyable as he sang different genres other than ballads which were prominent especially in his second album. There are a handful of tracks that are addicting on first listen which is a plus. I recommend everyone to try out this album!

Rating: 5/5 (Even if you're not a fan of this artist/group this album is a must buy.)

Guest Hitorijime

Lee Seung Chul (이승철) - Vol. 9 The Secret Of Color 2

LeeSeungChul9.jpg

01 . Part Time Lover

02 . 아무 말도

03 . 사랑한다

04 . Propose

05 . 눈물자욱

06 . 그날... 그 기억

07 . 더 사랑하니까

08 . 하고 싶은 말

09 . 너의 하늘

Over 20 years after his debut in the music industry, Lee Seung Chul is still going strong. The Secret Of Color 2 is his 9th album and was released a year after his 8th hit, Reflection of Sound. For those who don't know why there is a '2' after the title, it is because this is his second release of his The Secret Of Color series. Instead of trying out New York sounds like the first release, The Secret Of Color 2 uses more LA sounds and allows the artiste to spread his creativity in other genres. So what does the Emperor of Live Music have for us this time?

The title track, Saranghanda, is a charming rock ballad that would be similar to those by the group Buzz (now disbanded). The use of the acoustic and electric guitars, piano and drums definitely give it a rather natural feel and also a small Country sound to it. However, with this said, the music isn't the best part of the song. Though the song has a great melody and a great arrangement, if anything, the highlight of it is Lee Seung Chul's vocals. They are sweet, yet powerful at the same time. This is most visible by the bridge where the song seems to take a big step up, providing us with stronger vocals and also a stronger arrangement. Overall, a pretty solid title track.

The majority of the album is full of different and interesting genres. Part Time Lover is a great disco track that one wouldn't normally hear from most mainstream Kpop artistes these days. Lee Seung Chul provides a good vocal performance, though at times he does seem rather overshadowed by the female accompaniment. Nevertheless, it is a great switch and is surprisingly catchy. Propose is also a standout track as it is a bit more upbeat than Saranghanda, but still uses much of the same instruments. The song is also catchy and the use of background vocals is a great asset to the song. Not only are they placed in the perfect spots, but they also give LSC a vocal boost.

The mix of genres is great and the artiste himself did quite an amazing job at each track. At first, the tracklist might seem quite small, but fans shouldn't be discouraged because unlike most albums that have several extra filler tracks, it seems as though this one just goes straight to the point. Even if you've never heard of Lee Seung Chul before, don't be afraid to try him out. Music-wise, this is a great album that shows off the singer's versatility.

5/5

Guest Hitorijime

Tae Hwang Sa Shin Gi OST (Legend)

FourGods.jpg

01. Opening

02. 성전 (Seongjeon)

03. 담덕의 테마 (메인테마) (Damdeokui)

04. 수지니의 테마 (외로움) (Sujiniui)

05. 기하의 테마 (운명적인 만남) (Gihaui)

06. 운명 (Unmyeong)

07. 화천회 (Hwacheonhwi)

08. 신들의 전쟁 (Sideureui Jeonjaeng)

09. 담덕의 테마 (용맹) (Damdeokeui)

10. 거믈촌 (Geomeurchon)

11. 적군의 공격 (Jeokkuneui Gonggyeok)

12. 단결 (Dangyeor)

13. 승리 (Seungri)

14. 허락 (Heorak)

15. 세월은 흐르고 (Seworeun Heureugo)

16. 이루어지지 않는 사랑 (Irueojiji Anneun)

17. 첫사랑 (Cheotsarang)

18. 수지니의 테마 (피아노 솔로) (Sujiniui)

19. 천년연가 / 동방신기 (Cheonnyeonyeonga)

One of the most popular dramas as of recently is Legend (is also known as Four Gods), the story of the 19th king of the Goguryeo Dynasty who was known to have extended his territory beyond Manchuria. This OST is from that drama, and is made up of mainly instrumental pieces. However, fans of DBSK might enjoy their new song also featured on the OST, which was made by the amazing Hisaishi Joe (who worked on movies such as Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle). The OST also includes a DVD and two music videos.

Cheonnyeonyeonga starts off as just another pretty ballad, but soon develops into a piece of art, as it reflects the emotions and the feel of the drama. The music goes beautifully with the other tracks found in the album, which allows it to flow smoothly. The use of the synths is also great as it allows the song to emphasize on a more traditional sound, though still containing a more modern feel. The guys from Dong Bang Shin Ki also do a great job with vocals. Each of their voices matches nicely with the music and they also provide the power needed to for the song's emotional quotient.

Heorak is also a great track and is performed by Junseo. Much like the other song with vocals on it, this one also contains much of the same qualities, though it moves more to the ballad area and something similar to what Lee Soo Young might do. The verses are haunting, while the chorus is strong and emotional, allowing the artiste to sing to the fullest. This is especially heard at the end, where the song builds to its strongest point. If you aren't into the vocal tracks, you can still have fun with the rest on the album. The main theme, Damdeokui Theme, is a beautiful work that sums up a lot about the drama. The use of more traditional instruments at the beginning definitely makes it a standout feature. However, as the song continues, it is evident that it is very powerful with the use of drums, bass instruments as well as some added synths.

Overall, the album is a work of art. I'm not one to enjoy instrumental pieces, but this is definitely one of the best out there. Whether it is the use of the traditional instruments or sounds, it definitely sums up what the drama is about. It's as if it can tell you the story even without the visual aid. This is definitely for those who enjoyed the drama or those who just need something other than love songs to listen to.

4/5

Eun Ji Won - 사랑 死랑 思랑 Single

EunJiWonsingle.jpg

01 Deep Blue (Feat. Set Byul)

02 Adios (Feat. Mr. Tyfoon)

03 Pinocchio

04 It’s True (Feat. Baek Ji Young)

05 Adios (Instrumental)

Hip-hop artiste Eun Ji Won has finally returned from his 2.5-year hiatus from the music business with a single titled 사랑 死랑 思랑. Consisting of five tracks (4 singles and 1 instrumental), this single received much help in production and collaboration from famous artistes such as Mr. Tyfoon, Tiger JK of Drunken Tiger, and Baek Ji Young. These four songs will be included in his upcoming studio album.

The title track of this single album, Adios is a Latin and hip-hop fused track featuring Mr. Tyfoon. Originally sung by artiste Keeproots, this song is about leaving a loved one due to an unfaithful relationship, yet feeling somber about it. The mellow trumpet sounds and Eun Ji Won and Mr. Tyfoon’s Spanish introduction both help in bringing out the Latin feel. The rapping of the two artistes, as well as the Spanish phrases included throughout the song, further emphasize the mood. Mr. Tyfoon enhances this song with his articulate rapping skills. Personally, this song was not a favorite at first listen, but it quickly grew on me. I feel that those who enjoyed his previous song, Mi Casa-Ro (another Latin-based track) from his third album will appreciate Adios.

Other tracks I recommend are 01 Deep Blue featuring Set Byul and 04 It’s True featuring Baek Ji Young. It could just be the fact that I love collaborations, but these two songs were catchy at first listen. Set Byul did an excellent job harmonizing with Eun Ji Won’s rapping in Deep Blue. As for It’s True, the beats were very catchy but it had such close resemblance to something Timbaland or Justin Timberlake would release. Besides this fact, this track is addictive and Baek Ji Young does a wonderful job on her part. I must say that 03 Pinocchio is also a must-listen track. This song also seems to bring in some Latin beats as it is very reminiscent of the title track, 02 Adios. Eun Ji Won’s fluent rap in Pinocchio fuses well with the once again mellow melody of the song.

Overall, I felt that Eun Ji Won did a good job with his new single. I haven’t heard too many of Eun Ji Won’s songs but by listening to this single, I was quite impressed by him. With his great rapping skills, random Spanish phrases, and collaborations, he was able to make all his songs enjoyable to listen and even have listeners sing along.

Rating: 4.5/5

JYP – Vol. 7 Back to Stage

Park_Jin_Young_7.jpg

01 Kiss

02 The House You Live In

03 Your Girl

04 Delicious (Your Lips)

05 Single feat. Bobby Kim

06 Ddan-Dda-Ra Blues

07 Actually

08 Going Back

09 I Like This Kind of Woman feat. Dynamic Duo & Jun Jae Duk

10 Dangerous Play

11 Cross Each Other feat. Yoon Mi Rae

12 Farewell on Broad Daylight Feat. Sun Yeh of Wonder Girls

JYP, one of Korea’s most renowned producers, CEO, and entertainer has finally come back after six-and-a-half years to please his fans with his seventh studio album. Like how his album title, Back to Stage, states, JYP has returned with his own music after spending the past years producing other artistes such as Bi (Rain), Lim Jeong Hee, and Wonder Girls, as well as collaborating with many others, whether in Korea or overseas. This album is a must-listen as JYP has songs of various styles and rhythm in store for listeners.

JYP has already promoted three singles from his album simultaneously, two of which already have music videos. The first single is track 1 of the album, titled Kiss. The song is perfect for starting off the album with its upbeat tempo and sing-along lyrics of being entranced by a girl’s kiss. The kissing sounds throughout the song definitely bring out the title and the catchy beats only entice listeners to continue with the album. The song Kiss leads to JYP’s main single, The House You Live In. The R&B track is catchy at first listen as it starts off with smooth instrumentals and vocals. The lyrics are quite sad, as it is about a man watching from a distance in anguish his former love, who is now settled with a family. The third single is the last track of the album titled Farewell on Broad Daylight, featuring Sun Yeh of Wonder Girls. Unlike the other two title songs, this duet is a ballad. JYP and Sun Yeh successfully harmonize as they sing about the sadness of breakup, yet being able to cope with it through the help of broad daylight. The album nicely finishes off with this duet track that fans of JYP and Wonder Girls would especially enjoy.

The other songs on this album are equally enjoyable. The ones I particularly enjoyed were 03 Your Girl, 06 Ddan-Dda-Ra Blues, 09 I Like This Kind of Woman featuring Dynamic Duo & Jun Jae Duk, 10 Dangerous Play, and 11 Cross Each Other featuring Yoon Mi Rae. Ddan-Dda-Ra Blues is a catchy song reminiscent of JYP’s famous track, Swing Baby. The styles of the two songs are very similar and it would make listeners get up on their feet and dance like the lyrics suggest. The song Dangerous Play is also a very addictive song with its upbeat beats and vocals. Fans of Bi (Rain) would like this song because of the similar styles. Cross Each Other featuring T (Yoon Mi Rae) is the song that got me to listen to this album in the first place. JYP and T’s vocals and fluent rap make this song a must-listen for everyone.

Overall, this album was great. All the songs were enjoyable and many were catchy at first listen. Many famous singers such as Dynamic Duo, T (Yoon Mi Rae), Bobby Kim, and Sun Ye of Wonder Girls were featured in this album, making it much more memorable. To top it all, JYP wrote all the lyrics and took part in composing all his songs. JYP truly was able to come “back to stage” with a bang.

Rating: 5/5 (Even if you're not a fan of this artist/group this album is a must buy.)

Guest Hitorijime

Kim Mi Ryo (김미려) - Meet Myself

p1005101414qs2.jpg

Purchase this album

01 . 가시 (Gasi)

02 . 나를 만나다 (Nareur Mannada / Meet Myself)

03 . 달콤한 인생 (Darkomhan Imsaeng)

04 . 가시 (Instrumental)

05 . 나를 만나다 (Instrumental)

06 . 달콤한 인생 (Instrumental)

Many might not know Kim Mi Ryo as a singer, but it's no doubt that many will know her for being a comedian. Meet Myself is her first step into the music industry, which could either fail or strengthen her popularity. Kim Mi Ryo has currently been on several tv shows to promote this single. Whether it will pay off, we don't know for now.

The title track, Nareur Mannada (Meet Myself), is a fun-loving pop track that would fit nicely with any season. The striking guitars, pounding drums and odd background vocals help the song explode with excitement. However, the most surprising thing about the track is how strong Kim Mi Ryo's vocals are throughout. Though she isn't particularly strong through the verses, she definitely provides a powerful setting during the chorus, where she hits every note right on.

The other 2 tracks on the album provide nice changes from the happy title track. Gasi is a much more laidback ballad that is similar to popular Korean ballads out in the market these days. Kim Mi Ryo gives a strong performance, though her voice does feel too overpowering at times for the song. The real magic in the single is Darkomhan Insaeng, a darker ballad that strengthens Mi Ryo's vocal capabilities. Starting with a calm piano, the song erupts into a sea of sadness, with Mi Ryo striking each note with all the emotion she has in her voice. A very unexpected genre that is very nicely pulled off.

At first, this single might not stand out to you, but it's definitely worth a try. The mix of fun pop songs and heartbreaking ballads definitely strengthens Kim Mi Ryo's chances of hitting it big within the industry. You might be surprised at what this "comedian" can actually pull off.

4/5

Dear Cloud Vol. 1 - Dear Cloud

8031445.jpg

Purchase this album

1. Not For Your Comfort

2. Ice Fortress

3. If I Could

4. With The Memories Of You Being Beautiful

5. Goodbye, My Treasures

6. Dream

7. Same Person

8. I Miss That Attic

9. Cloud Avenue

10. Words

11. Thorn

12. Fly Fly Fly

Dear Cloud is a new modern rock group. Like many modern rock groups in Korea, Dear Cloud is a co-ed group with a female lead singer. But they started off with only a guitarist (Yong-Rin) and a vocalist (Nine) back in 2005 before three other members joined the band: Elang (Bassist), Jung-A (Keyboardist) and Dong Hoon (Drummer). Later on, Dong Hoon was replaced by a new drummer, Kwang-Suk. They kicked off their music career by performing in various clubs and concerts. Unlike most new band groups, Dear Cloud showed great charisma and passion on stage and they were very popular in club scenes in 2006. They've even earned support and recognition for their music from other musicians and bands, notably from Toy (Yoo Hee Yeol), Lucid Fall and Lee Juck.

Fundamentally, their music consists of new century England music. Although Dear Cloud are not up to par with well-known bands like Placebo, Snow Petrol and Cold Play in England, they'll try to win the hearts of the people by being the best Korean modern rock band.

All the songs from this album are written by the members themselves. The title song "Ice Fortress" has a sad melodic line and sentimental lyrics. It has an attractive and addictive melody that should please all fans. "If I Could" is another mid-tempo song that has the potential to be the 2nd single. Basically the first half of the album is targeted towards mainstream listeners. If you are looking for more hardcore rock stuff, the second half of the album offers you just that with more up-tempo tunes. My recommendations are "Same Person", "Cloud Avenue" and "Words".

Most rock groups use guitar as background arrangement, but Dear Cloud also use piano on some of the songs. "With The Memories Of You Being Beautiful" is a slow tempo song that perhaps best showcases the lead singer's vocal. "Same Person" is a song that starts off slow but the tempo picks up quickly later on.

Overall, I think this is one of the better modern rock albums I've heard recently. All the songs are very good and you won't feel bored listening to the album over and over again.

5/5

- credits to purpletiger86 for translations

Slow Jam – Crazy Night Single

1574561fmd9.th.jpg

Purchase this album

01 Listen (feat. Smokey)

02 Crazy Night (feat. Horan)

03 Baby Come On (feat. Smokey)

04 Crazy Night (feat. Horan) (Lounge Ver.)

05 Crazy Night (feat. Horan) (Radio Edit)

06 Crazy Night (feat. Horan) (Inst.)

Slow Jam have finally come back with a new single titled Crazy Night after two years. Most people may not be familiar with the artistes but it is Uptown leader Jung Yun Joon who is the singer, composer, and producer for the group. R&B artiste Ann was featured as the female vocal in the previous album, but Horan of Clazziquai and Smokey take her place for this single. The type of music that is produced is as the name suggests, Slow Jam: R&B music with lyrics about romance and intimacy.

This single consists of three singles and three additional versions of the title track Crazy Night. This intimate song starts off with Horan’s alluring voice mixed with the soothing saxophone instrumentals which bring out the R&B atmosphere. The chorus is also dramatic and addictive. I personally prefer the Lounge version of this track as the instrumentals are a bit more appealing.

The other two tracks, Listen and Baby Come On, featuring Smokey, are songs worth recommending. Smokey seems to have a very soulful voice which blends nicely with Jung’s vocals. Her parts in Baby Come On are especially addictive. The songs are very soothing, perfect for listening during the night. Both have great melodies and in my opinion are better than the title track.

Overall, I found this album satisfying. The songs were different from mainstream Korean music and the two featured singers have a great impact in perfecting the songs in the single. The only nitpick I have about the single is the amount of songs in there. With only three songs, it leaves listeners hungry for more.

5/5

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rlcoolblue15

i read all of these reviews. and they were so helpful in picking new songs to listen to. thank you to all who wrote reviews. : ) amber

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MissBoAngel

Thank you for all the reviews :) i hope to contribute soon! :D

Are we aloud to request reviews :unsure: if yes, Then could someone write a review for Kara's debut album The First blooming? It's for a project ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest EricXL

BoA ★ THE FACE

thefacekl5.jpg

Purchase this album

01 AGGRESSIVE

02 Sweet Impact

03 My Way, Your Way (feat. WISE)

04 be with you.

05 LOSE YOUR MIND (feat. Yutaka Furukawa from DOPING PANDA)

06 Girl In The Mirror

07 Happy Birthday

08 Diamond Heart

09 LOVE LETTER

10 BRAVE

11 ギャップにやられた! / Gyappu ni Yarareta!

12 Style

13 Smile again

14 Beautiful Flowers

15 Best Friend

16 Hey Boy, Hey Girl (feat. BoA) / SEAMO (CD+2DVD Limited Edition Bonus Track)

Released on the 27th of February of this year, BoA's 6th Japanese original album THE FACE has already made history as BoA's 6th consecutive (7th overall, including her BEST OF SOUL album) number-one ranking album in Japan, only behind Ayumi Hamasaki with eight. BoA's immense popularity can be attributed to her multilingual abilities, as she is fluent in both Japanese and her native Korean, and her ability to appeal to fans of all ages, male and female, Korean and Japanese.

So what does BoA have up her sleeve this album around? Her singles prior to the release of THE FACE include the mid-tempo electronica-influenced "Sweet Impact," the not-quite-ballad but not-exactly-fast-paced "LOVE LETTER," the sexy and funky "LOSE YOUR MIND," and the heartfelt "be with you." Though these songs present BoA's capabilities of being the flexible and versatile artist that she is, fans and non-fans alike have not been as impressed as they have been with BoA's previous offerings (circa her peak with VALENTI). Her first post-MIT(20) single, "Sweet Impact," sometimes drags along with seemingly overproduced beats and mundane verses. What saves this song is its climactic chorus and, as seen in its respective promotional video, the Michael Jackson-esque (circa "Smooth Criminal") choreography. "LOVE LETTER" is a BoA ballad, straight and simple. Vocally, this song fits BoA's range perfectly and her voice effortlessly moves the song along. "LOSE YOUR MIND" features guitarist Yutaka Furukawa from the J-Rock band DOPING PANDA and is BoA's first single featuring another artist. Yutaka Furukawa's influence, along with the American production of this song, has permeated the overall atmosphere of "LOSE YOUR MIND" as a funky dance song backed with brass and subtle electronic/synth-ish instrumentals. Released only a week before THE FACE, "be with you." was used as a promotional track for the album, alongside a tie-up with the movie Inu to Watashi no 10 no Yakusoku. While heartfelt and gentle, "be with you." falters in that BoA's vocals are exceedingly nasally due to the again dragging nature of the song's verses. The chorus almost climaxes out of nowhere and takes on a different feel from the song's initial gentle, serene state.

As for the non-single tracks on this album, "AGGRESSIVE" has received the most hype as its electronic-dance feel instantly grabs your attention. BoA's vocals are, just as the title states, powerful and aggressive, matching alongside the production of the track. A great way to open up to an album with the greatest involvement from BoA herself. Of course, what's a BoA album without a staple cutesy song? "Happy Birthday" is just the sweet treat to satisfy. Much like "七色の明日~brand new beat~" was to MADE IN TWENTY(20), this song operates to offer a slight alteration to the album's concept, though it is a well-presented and safe addition. On to another dance-oriented track! Simply put, "Style" exudes just that: style. With its Justin Timberlake-like beats and production and BoA's vocals to offer a strong point of view, we are sure to be able to also "believe [boA's] style." One of my favorite tracks on this album is "Best Friend," which just happens to remind me of Wonder Girls' "Friend" from their respective first album. BoA's affections to her best friend are clearly heard, as her voice almost speaks to the listener. The simple arrangement, the memorable melody and harmonies, and the modern instrumentals all add up to a great final track for this album.

Overall, THE FACE offers a glimpse of BoA's many sides (or faces, if you will). There is the strong, powerful individual, the love-struck, cute girl, the sexy, refined supermodel, the girl moving on with herself, and the always-there best friend. To combine all of these facets of one singer is remarkable and the connection sometimes works out and sometimes it doesn't, but holistically, THE FACE is cohesive, full of scope, and represents BoA well. Here's to another great year!

RATING: 4/5

-----

was this too long? o___o

oh, and i guess i don't mind if this ends up on the main site.

Guest Hitorijime

^No, that was quite good.

JOO (주) - Young Girl

p1005199347kz0.jpg

Purchase this album

1. Because Of A Man

2. Like Yesterday

3. Face

4. The Premiere

5. Because Of A Man (Instrumental)

6. Like Yesterday (Instrumental)

It's no doubt JOO got a lot of spotlight in her first month of her debut mostly due to her sudden change in appearance. Sadly, this has caused her music to be pushed aside. With this said, it's no surprise that this young girl definitely has some talent in her and this single shows how much potential she holds. Young Girl is JOO's first release and contains mostly ballads, which are all top-notch in quality.

At first, Because Of A Man provides little that we haven't already heard from the Korean music industry. However, it's not time to pack up your things and move to another debuting singer in the industry. This song has its rewards and they're mainly found in JOO's vocals. That is where the song comes alive. JOO tends to have a much sweeter tone than most female artistes in kpop, but it doesn't mean she lacks the power. Every note in the song is hit nicely and her voice gives off a lot of emotion. This goes well with the beautiful melody and the use of strings throughout further pushes her voice. Overall, a very strong debut track.

Besides the beautiful title track, the single also contains 3 others. Like Yesterday uses a jazzy and smoother sound than the title track. It's not stellar, but it's quite enjoyable once it's given the chance. The melody is delightful and the use of string instruments is once again evident. Face returns to the standard pop ballad and showcases JOO's vocal abilities, while remaining quite calm composition-wise. Lastly, The Premiere is a phenomenal track and probably the best in the album. At first, the song doesn't really do much, but as it progresses, more power and emotion are added. By the end, the song turns into an emotional piece of work that, at times, sounds quite similar to songs by Lee Soo Young.

Overall, this is a very strong debut by this young artiste. She has great potential to become a top ballad singer (if that's her goal). For those who have listened to her title track and thought her voice was only okay, I would recommend the other songs on this single because she has a few surprises in store. Each track is nicely done and the compositions are beautiful. The use of strings in every track is done exceptionally well as it gives off different feelings in each song. If you haven't listened, you're missing out.

5/5

Archived