New Vietnamese Help Thread

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Cong cha nhu nui Thai Son. Nghia me nhu nuoc trong nguon chay ra.

I'm just adding on to what some people put already.

Translation: The effort your father put into raising you is like the Thai Son mountain. The effort your mother put into you is like the water flowing out from where the source of the water begins.

It's basically something like that. It means that the effort that you mom and dad put into raising you and caring for you is as big as a mountain and as important as how we need water and the source where the water comes from.

thua vo dieu kien

That literally means losing without anymore request.

Vo means without.

Dieu kien means request or a negotiation.

That saying is say whenever you're having a negiotation and a bet with someone and you say to them that they will lose without any further request because you beat them to the point where they're speechless. Lol. I hope that helps.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tknoodles

I think dieu kien also means "exception or cirumstance". Say like you're trying to negotiating or something you can say "co mot dieu kien toi muon..etc" " there is an exception/circumstance, i want...."

Guest chocopocky

Do you guys know that song? Umm.. something about Mountain Thai Son?

Cong cha nhu nui Thai Son.. and then something else..

I'm trying to figure out what that song means..

Oh, and I think this topic should be pinned! :D

what does 'chom chom' mean? o_O; with a 'v' on top of the o's i believe.. i was singing karaoke and those words appeared.. a lot.

and iv'e ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wondered..

how do you pronounce nyugen and ngo????

& is pho pronounced as phuhh?

Guest bubblexpffe

^

Chom chom is a rambutan.

Nguyen (not nyugen) is pronounced like... ngween.

Ngo is just Ngo. The o is a long o.

The ng is like the ng in flying.

And yeah, pho is phuh.

I hope that helped. ><;

This thread should be pinned. D=

Guest mango-iee

Thankx for the guide!I could use some help from it.It like bak in the old days where I'm learning Vietnamese now,in Vietnam. =D

Nguyen is a popular last name in Vietnam.It stand 1st place! The following last name goes by percent. ----->>

Nguyễn 阮 (38.4%)

Trần 陳 (11%)

Lê 黎 (9.5%)

Huỳnh/Hoàng 黃 (5.1%)

Phạm 范 (5%)

Phan 潘 (4.5%)

Vũ/Võ 武 (3.9%)

Đặng 鄧(2.1%)

Bùi 裴 (2%)

Đỗ 杜 (1.4%)

Hồ 胡 (1.3%)

Ngô 吳 (1.3%)

Dương 楊 (1%)

Lý 李 (0.5%

Guest dongsaeng

Thankx for the guide!I could use some help from it.It like bak in the old days where I'm learning Vietnamese now,in Vietnam. =D

Nguyen is a popular last name in Vietnam.It stand 1st place! The following last name goes by percent. ----->>

Nguyễn 阮 (38.4%)

Trần 陳 (11%)

Lê 黎 (9.5%)

Huỳnh/Hoàng 黃 (5.1%)

Phạm 范 (5%)

Phan 潘 (4.5%)

Vũ/Võ 武 (3.9%)

Đặng 鄧(2.1%)

Bùi 裴 (2%)

Đỗ 杜 (1.4%)

Hồ 胡 (1.3%)

Ngô 吳 (1.3%)

Dương 楊 (1%)

Lý 李 (0.5%

my last name is Mai, wheres that fit in? :)

A Viet help thread? Nice! I'll be here frequently. ^^

ahah. sorry, this made me laugh >.<

if anyone needs help i'm here. XD

sorry i forget the quotes i had.

um... this one;

ghet cua nao troi chao cua do.

basically saying if you hate something/someone you'll get the same back.

my mom says it to me when i'm being racist, so basically she said whatever race i hate will be the race i'll get, like marriage, friends, etc.

XD.

It should be: Ghet cua nao troi trao cua do. ^^

Guest mango-iee

my last name is nguyen tooo! =] chao cac ban! =] :rolleyes:

Ur lucky!I want my last name change to Nguyen to! >.< But who care,my last name got 2nd place so I'm happy for it!Haha,chao bite me.Xin cho Music_17 hoi ten cua ban la gi vay?

what does 'chom chom' mean? o_O; with a 'v' on top of the o's i believe.. i was singing karaoke and those words appeared.. a lot.

and iv'e ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wondered..

how do you pronounce nyugen and ngo????

& is pho pronounced as phuhh?

Chom Chom is a vietnamese fruit...but it might be something else.XD

nguyen = wi-en

NOT ni-gu-yen.

ngo = n-go

when they pronounce, you can't hear the g that much.

pho = FUH! yup.

hope I helped. I'm not vietnamese, but i'm currently learning. I'm full japanese, and I live in Japan, but I'm also fluent in English and Mandarin Chinese. I used to live in USA. not that you care. :P

Ur lucky!I want my last name change to Nguyen to! >.< But who care,my last name got 2nd place so I'm happy for it!Haha,chao bite me.Xin cho Music_17 hoi ten cua ban la gi vay?

lol why is having the last name Nguyen lucky?

Tran is a nice last name, too.

haha, I'm a Nguyen, :D

Didnt know this thread exist, I'll come by more often. lol

Chao moi nguoi ;]

Nguyễn 阮 (38.4%)

Trần 陳 (11%)

Lê 黎 (9.5%)

Huỳnh/Hoàng 黃 (5.1%)

Phạm 范 (5%)

Phan 潘 (4.5%)

Vũ/Võ 武 (3.9%)

Đặng 鄧(2.1%)

Bùi 裴 (2%)

Đỗ 杜 (1.4%)

Hồ 胡 (1.3%)

Ngô 吳 (1.3%)

Dương 楊 (1%)

Lý 李 (0.5%

my last name is 1st (surprise surprise!!)!!

there were these quiz things that u see on myspace or those sites..and the question was "if u cud change ur last name..wat wud it be?" my friend answered "anything but nguyen and ngo" (she's a ngo)

man!! u see all these ppl's last names as street names...and we i go look in the street directory..yep ..nguyen isnt in there! T___T;

my friend's last name is Cao...everytime the teacher says it..everyone laughs coz it sounds like "cow".

i talk too much..so im gnna go now. ^^ chao everyone!!

Guest sunnyside

=0!asianxsesationonewhite_lie^OHOH thanks!! okok i have oneee more!!!"dung vi mot noi sao ma quen het mot bau troi."ahh last one i promise!!!
Translated: "Just because of one star, don't forget the whole sky."I'm not sure what the meaning is, but I think this is close enough... It means like don't just concertrate on one little thing that you forget to appreciate all the other greater things in life.

why is there a vietnamese lesson thread? Has there been people asking for something?

Guest lyly_flower2000

My last name is Nguyen, too and Americans find the difficulty to pronounce my last name. I have no idea when they call my last name. It's really weird. Hahahaha. Rất vui được làm wen với các bạn ở đây. Somebody lives in MD, VA or DC?

Why isn't Mai on that list? :/

But the first 3 are extremely common, like seriously lol. Many pages of those in the yearbooks alone.

sunnyside - Why shouldn't there be one? I mean there's a Korean +Japanese too.

And yeah there are people who needs help& such.

Guest mango-iee

Why isn't Mai on that list? :/

But the first 3 are extremely common, like seriously lol. Many pages of those in the yearbooks alone.

sunnyside - Why shouldn't there be one? I mean there's a Korean +Japanese too.

And yeah there are people who needs help& such.

It is,but it not the common Viet. Surname.Check this site out,you will find ur last name and it place.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese name

Guest sunnyside

My last name is Nguyen, too and Americans find the difficulty to pronounce my last name. I have no idea when they call my last name. It's really weird. Hahahaha. Rất vui được làm wen với các bạn ở đây. Somebody lives in MD, VA or DC?

Yeah, same with me. They always try to pronounce the N, but the N is silent. People say like NewGen, NaWhen, and etc. I just them to say Win.

Guest bite me

aww really..?! that's ok tran is really nice too!, because there're TOO much nguyen so some people dont even wish their name is nguyen anymore, but not me =] tran and le are alot too!! =], my mom l.n is ngo too! yay! hhaha, sorry =]Minh ten Thanh, can ban ten gi..? nice to talk to u! =]

- At my school more than 50% of vietnamese people with their last name is nguyen, wow! like when we go to class that put together by the last name, the whole class is like nguyen, nguyen, nguyen.. :sweatingbullets: so i know alot of viet people!..lol

Archived