Speed Racer -live Action Movie-

Guest JiNi;

Guest valenti

2008?! i thought they are already shooting this movie. we have to wait for another year to see this. :mellow:

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speed-racerx-large.jpg

First look: 'Speed Racer's' demon on wheels

By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

Emile Hirsch was 6 years old when he saw his first episode of the cartoon Speed Racer and, more important, caught a glimpse of the Mach 5.

"It was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen," Hirsch says by phone from Germany, where filming will begin next week on the movie adaptation. "That's when I started thinking it would be great to be on TV. And have one of those."

Sixteen years later, he finally got behind the wheel of the speedster, which gets its first look here and will be at the heart of the film, due May 9, 2008.

"My first thought was, 'Yeah, they got the car right,' " he says. "That's one of the best things about the show, so it was always going to be one of the most important parts of the movie."

That and the return of Andy and Larry Wachowski, the brothers who are making their first directorial effort since The Matrix trilogy.

Like Hirsch, the brothers grew up on the popular 1960s Japanese cartoon about the adventures of a racing family — and its pet chimpanzee, Chim Chim.

"The TV show was the brothers' introduction to Japanese animation," says Joel Silver, a friend of the press-shy Wachowskis and producer of Racer and the Matrix films. "They fell in love with the genre. They said they'd been making R-rated movies their whole lives and wanted to do something their nephews and nieces could watch."

The film, Silver says, will have a "retro future" look and will center on Speed (Hirsch) trying to make a name for himself in the racing world despite the efforts of corporate giants to foil his career. The film also stars Christina Ricci as girlfriend Trixie and Matthew Fox as Speed's older brother, Racer X.

Like the Matrix films and the Wachowski-produced V for Vendetta, Racer "has a lot to say about remaining independent and thinking for yourself," Hirsch says. "The brothers weren't just looking to do the TV show on film."

Unlike those darker movies, Racer "is going to be very bright, very family-friendly," Silver says. "And it will have great effects like TheMatrix, just with the car."

A car that will not see much time on pavement. The Mach 5 will be placed on a crane and most effects will be computer-generated.

One real effect, though: Chim Chim.

"They're using a real monkey," Hirsch says. "Just don't call him that. He's a chimpanzee. He gets upset if you call him a monkey."

Source: USA Today

Guest yoojini

Whaaat? We have to wait a whole other year?? No fair! XD

i know! not at all!><;

anywhos, found

while youtubing.

i didn't know matthew fox was casted as speed's rival! lol. i like the cast so far...they look like the characters in the anime.xD emilie's soooooo cute like speed!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest adikkeluangman

Rain and Park Joon Hyung of god will act together in this movie... I can't wait...

• 5 months later...
Guest uninfatuated

wow just watched it. i caught a glimpse of Bi in there. the trailer didn't look that amazing though, very CGI haha. maybe i'll check it out. ^_^

Guest Happy_Day

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~~~~~

I cannot believe he's going to be in a Hollywood movie, it's just amazing! I just hope it's a pretty big role, not like Sung Kang's roles in those blockbuster movies these days .. so disappointing

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, but he doesn't look that good with the red streaks :(

Ummm, by the way.. Is that guy with the white hair who's shaving.. that oldest member in G.O.D?! It looks EXACTLY LIKE HIM..

im so excited for this movie...im like only gonna go out to see it to see my lovely Rain hehehe ^_^ i wanna see how his English improved ^_^

Oh hohoho!!!! It looks interesting XD

But I read from a forum about Bi that they bumped up his role to someone who like speaks more. So I'm excited to see how much his English has improved. And also read that Bi did all of his own stunts too^^

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG THIS MOVIE LOOKS SOOOOO COOL!!!!

I cannot wait

I'm not being biased just because Bi is in it either

this movie is going to be fire

and two or my fav actors (Susan Sarandon and Bi)

are gonna be in it :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I wish 2008 would get here man!

Archived