Soompi Mac User Group

j79

I'm not a Mac user......yet, but I do have question about Apple's softwares.

So far, I have never had serious problems with PC. I know what I'm doing so I don't have problems, very few. I'm positive I'll occur few problems when I use a Mac, but I won't know until I use one.

So here's the question.

What softwares come with the Mac pre-installed? For example, I know the iGarage is one and iWorks. That's about it. I want to see how many of these softwares are already installed. It's probably because of these softwares that it costs a lot for a Macbook/Macbook Pro.

I'm in charge of media stuff at my church, so these softwares might become useful for me. Just a link or a list will help. I'm not planning on getting another laptop until next year or 2, buts it's good to research stuff early. ^_^

Hey yangster,

That's awesome (the church media stuff) -- You might want to check out: http://www.apple.com/getamac/stuff.html

Depending on the Mac you purchase, you'll get software geared more towards consumers or professionals (3rd party, bundled software that is...) If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)

Hiii! i have a black macbook 2.0GHz ummm jus wondering if any of your macs ever randomly shutdown? mine tends to do it quite often.

I've never had this problem? How often is "quite" often??

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

incyphe I think we're showing our age here...:lol:

Haha it was my first ever Mac. Must've spent $5000 on it with all the upgrades in 1991. lol

Maybe when they come out with an upgraded Mini with Core 2 Duo, I'll pick one up.

edit: oh pff.... $599 mini doesn't include a mouse/keyboard <_< might as well spend $500 more and get the macbook. :tongue2:

^ I envy you. To have had the ability to view certain things in 24 bit color back in 1991~ ! I was stuck with 4 bit color and my imagination. :)

haha 4bit? Was it an EGA graphics card from Hercules? :lol:

Actually I was stuck with 8bit color until 1993. Then i bought a Radius DirectColor GX graphics card for $299, which had a 1MB of VRAM. But it was enough to give 24bit in 640x480. Seeing full color photographs on my computer without dithering almost made me wet my pants. :sweatingbullets: Didn't take much to please me back then lol

^ I envy you. To have had the ability to view certain things in 24 bit color back in 1991~ ! I was stuck with 4 bit color and my imagination. :)

I agree! I was rockin' on a 4 bit monitor in 93 as well (Commodore 64/128) -- "Upgraded" later...was a bit sad to "move" on though.... I had a ton of games for that machine (you wanna talk about pirating....:lol:)

Agree with Xarthan! Let's see some pics! :)

Hiii! i have a black macbook 2.0GHz ummm jus wondering if any of your macs ever randomly shutdown? mine tends to do it quite often.

I heard this is a Macbook problem, though correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not familiar with the reason why this happen to Macbooks. Faulty logic board, perhaps? You should definitely talk to Apple support and have it fixed or replaced because Mac's not suppose randomly shut down.

I heard this is a Macbook problem, though correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not familiar with the reason why this happen to Macbooks. Faulty logic board, perhaps? You should definitely talk to Apple support and have it fixed or replaced because Mac's not suppose randomly shut down.

You're right kaid. hot_chocolate, definitely get it checked out. if you're near an apple store, you shouldn't have any issues getting it fixed.

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/09/07/apple-issue...ok-shutdown-pr/

Guest Xarthan

^ dang, somebody is swimming in cash... so the laptop can drive 30" display? very nice setup.

lol i wish. I think the laptop can, but no the Mac Pro is powering the ACD there. Just not in the pic.

Guest SongBird

To all the soompi mac users, do you guys/girls use antivirus programs on your mac?

Right now, I feel like I don't really need to so nope I am just using commonsense and computer knowledge to stay away from shaddy sites/downloads/etc. I am sure with increased users it could lead to increased security issues in the future.

Anyone?

Guest alexander

^I didn't because, like you said, I didn't see a point. Bur right now I have Virex by MacFee(sp?) only because my campus started to only allow computers with anti-virus software to use the campus internet, so I had no choice. -_-;; I honestly think it's MEGA annoying, but if you want added security, then go for it.

Guest tontamoo

I'm a Mac user. Nice to meet you all.

I have a 14" iBook G4 (PowerPC / 1.07 GHz / 60GB HD / Combo Drive [in hindsight, I wish I got the SuperDrive])

I got a laptop when I left for college -- that would be 2004

As for the question about viruses, I have the ClamXav program on my computer. It's a free anti-virus program. I only run it probably once every 4 months though since it's quite slow to scan the whole system. It has proven useful in detecting a Windows trojan on my computer though. (I acquired the virus because one of my research projects required me to have 200+ webpages saved on my computer, so the scanner detected the virus embedded in one of those webpages.) It never had any adverse effect on my computer, but I removed the affected files anyway.

Guest treeesh

i'm a 13" macbook user. i got converted last year and i laugh at all my windows friend when they have problems with their computer. ;) i love mac and i'm considering the 17" imac.

i'm so glad there's a topic just for macs. maybe someone should pin a mac thread.

Guest sugarcakes

I've been using a Mac for a long time. My first Mac was the lovely G3, I still have the monitor, it's too cute =)

Then one day, my school's design studio brought in brand new G5's, I could've swore I drooled a bit.. *ahem*

Currently:

17" MacBookPro + MacPro Desktop (quad-core processor, 4GB memory, 500GB HD, NVIDIA 7300, 30" Cinema display)

Archived