Jeon Ji Hyun 전지현 - Upcoming Drama : Polaris

hongchae1

I don't understand why they would try to break her out into Hollywood. It's a fact that Asian actors/actresses have very little opportunities to get good roles there. On top of that, no matter how much she studies, Ji-Hyun isn't going to become fluent in English and that pretty much guarantees that she'll be limited to stereotypical parts that ask her to just look pretty or be Asian.

Honestly, there is no way she is gonna star in her own movie or even play a supporting role in anything respectable. Hollywood is way too hyped up and it's a mistake to try to bring a Korean icon into America to play crap roles just so they can say she is an "international star."

If you think I'm being pessimistic about this, you are either very young, naive, or have no idea about American showbiz politics. I very much admire Jeon Ji-Hyun and I would like her to be able to continue her career as a credible actress, not some foreign object of Hollywood.

Guest yum yum dimsum

^ As much as I am very excited about her Hollywood advance... I'm a bit worried as well. It's a big step and i think it's just a matter of choosing the right project. Like cjoey said, it's her (or her management's) decision so as a fan, all I can do is support her.

I agree wit everything you said... except..

no matter how much she studies, Ji-Hyun isn't going to become fluent in English

^ As much as I am very excited about her Hollywood advance... I'm a bit worried as well. It's a big step and i think it's just a matter of choosing the right project. Like cjoey said, it's her (or her management's) decision so as a fan, all I can do is support her.

I agree wit everything you said... except..

I think what he means is she will always have an accent :)

i've had friends come over here from Hong Kong and Taiwan, and they have becmoe fluent in less than 5 years. But of course they got a strong accent and sometimes have the wrong pronunciation.

Guest javabeans

I don't understand why they would try to break her out into Hollywood. It's a fact that Asian actors/actresses have very little opportunities to get good roles there. On top of that, no matter how much she studies, Ji-Hyun isn't going to become fluent in English and that pretty much guarantees that she'll be limited to stereotypical parts that ask her to just look pretty or be Asian.

Honestly, there is no way she is gonna star in her own movie or even play a supporting role in anything respectable. Hollywood is way too hyped up and it's a mistake to try to bring a Korean icon into America to play crap roles just so they can say she is an "international star."

If you think I'm being pessimistic about this, you are either very young, naive, or have no idea about American showbiz politics. I very much admire Jeon Ji-Hyun and I would like her to be able to continue her career as a credible actress, not some foreign object of Hollywood.

i've had friends come over here from Hong Kong and Taiwan, and they have becmoe fluent in less than 5 years. But of course they got a strong accent and sometimes have the wrong pronunciation.

I quite agree with both of these opinions... While she can certainly learn English and pick up enough to act credibly, I don't think she can learn it well enough to be a Hollywood actress. She might have the ability to pull off something like Zhang Ziyi, who's come into some worldwide and Western fame but only as an actress portraying specifically Asian roles.

I work in Hollywood, and unfortunately I think the expectations are rather high on both sides. On the Korean side, there's an ethnocentricity that everyone will be interested in a Korean star because they are so big on their home turf, and on the American side, it's the expectation that everyone ought to speak English perfectly. I remember hearing from a production company once that they wanted a Korean actress who spoke English and asked if I thought there were many candidates. I said sure, I thought there would be lots of (ethnic) Koreans capable of the part, but they said no, they meant they wanted a famous Korean actress to lend the project some clout in the international market, but she would have to be able to pull off English perfectly. I thought they were rather narrow-minded in their American ethnocentricity. I hope JJH's effort is successful, and I'd love nothing more than to see Hallyu's popularity extend beyond Asia, but the expectations need to be realistic, too.

Am a huge fan of JJH so yeah, I just wish her all the best with this whole Hollywood thing and she's got my full support no matter what.

Guest yum yum dimsum

hmm.. i guess you're right...

-----------

i guess if its for an action film, there's a possibility that she'll play those 'karate-dragon-lady' type of roles. so im hoping its a drama or comedy....

aak! shouldn't think too much about it. im gonna support her all the way. :D

(off topic: yes, i had a name change... ) :D

I said sure, I thought there would be lots of (ethnic) Koreans capable of the part, but they said no, they meant they wanted a famous Korean actress to lend the project some clout in the international market, but she would have to be able to pull off English perfectly. I thought they were rather narrow-minded in their American ethnocentricity. I hope JJH's effort is successful, and I'd love nothing more than to see Hallyu's popularity extend beyond Asia, but the expectations need to be realistic, too.

well said.

Imo, Zhang Zhiyi's success was very short lived. The only other asian actor that i know of who is very very slowly breaking into hollywood is John Cho (he's harold in harold and kumar and also was in the asian flick Better Luck Tomorrow). My aunt is an actress as well, and it seems like it's really hard for asian actresses to be consistent in landing roles that are up there.

It'll be a hard and very long fought road for JJH if/when she does pursue this, but we will still back her up (or at least I will :))

Guest kkam jjak

I think the reason why there aren't so many asian american actors/actresses in general in america is because there aren't many asian screenwriters or directors.

I mean the man who wrote the Memoirs of a Geisha was a WHITE man and a lot of people were complaining that some of the stuff he wrote in his book weren't true to Japanese culture and how geishas really worked.

Tyler Perry, the guy that began the Madea series as plays and movies is based on black folks and how they are, and he too is black so he knows what it's like and can apply some of his personal experiences to his work.

I bet if we had more asian screenwrites and directors (amateurs or not) they would be able to make major roles for asian actors and actresses that aren't the stereotypical triad/yakuza/jopok, no english speaking, or really smart nerd. The problem is whether the American audience will be accepting of an asian person being a lead role right up along with someone like Julia Roberts in a movie or an entire cast of asians in general.

maybe i'm wrong... this is just what i think, but you guys are all free to correct me :)

i just hope jjh's company doesn't expect TOO much or instant fame and then become disappointed in HER. I hope the best for her though and I'm dying to know what role she will be taking on.

I very much agree with you, kkam jjak. I think Asians need to start behind the scenes to see progress in front of the camera. It's obvious why there aren't many Asian roles in America. No one is writing for us. If there are more Asian writers, directors, and producers there will be more parts for Asian actors/actresses to choose from. The roles now are only stereotypical because other races don't know about the Asian culture much. They only see the stereotypical stuff. Just like if you see whites/blacks/Hispanics in Asian entertainment it's very stereotypical because they don't know anything about the culture. Just what they see in the media.

Guest bubblieri

i really like her :) my sassy girl was the first film i saw that featured her and at first i didn't like her...i didn't even think she was that pretty...but she grew on me towards the end and her acting was great in my sassy girl :) looking forward to more of her stuff whether it be cfs mv or movies :D