Bae Yong Joon 배용준

Admin

~ first time i've read this article :) what a treat !!

[Trans] Cine21(10/14/2003, No. 422) BYJ's Photocommentary on Untold Scandal

Article : Cine21(10/14/2003, No. 422)/ Manggeon tightening my head, anxiety irritating Mr. Director

Written by Bae Yongjoon

Translated by 잔돌밭youngsun

posted in BYJ's KOB

Thanks Frances , this is also the first time I've read this article.... :)

Guest frances

Hi Liezle, Frances and everyone,

You gals are awesome! Hope you get a big hug one day from D man himself :)

Yesterday I went to meet insoo with my hubby, and guess what? he enjoyed the movie. the next day he jokingly said ya..he's now a joonie fan :)

hello t05gal, thats great to hear that ur hubby liked AS but i liked it best when he said that he's now a byj fan :D ( are you sure he's just joking ?? :rolleyes: )

Guest frances

Thanks Frances , this is also the first time I've read this article.... :)

hey carol sis, i love that photocommentary from yong joon, i wish he'll do more of that :)

here's another old article that i read for the first time. this was reposted by youngsun in kob this july but i dont know how i missed it :huh:

[Trans ] BYJ in 'Untold Scandal' (Cine21, 09/12/2003)

Written by Park Hyemyong (the Cine21, 09/12/2003, No. 419)

Translated into English by 잔돌밭youngsun

As an actor, what have I gained? That's a secret

zy0hm.jpg

Not respected is every man of 10-year-old career. Even if respected, he is not always commanding. Unexpectedly, such was BYJ's attitude when he gave an interview, with imminent releasing of the movie 'Untold Scandal'. What is worse, he was ready to make a dodge even for a single syllable of his word. It was a defensive attitude unexpected from a performer with 10 years' acting career for TV dramas, nor from a professional having maintained the unfaltering height of a top star during the time. "After sticking to a mathematical acting skill like '1 plus 1 equals 2', I've come to find a way to act following my emotional flow. However, I'm no more than a toddler at it, or rather a crawler." His choice of 'Untold Scandal' seems to mean him more than just a change of an acting medium. The cold wind confronting him as soon as he took a step into the silver screen out of the greenhouse from which he had never ventured out made him realize he landed on a quite different acting field from the previous one.

"Movies are much more relaxing. TV is a medium more impromptu and intuitive, or requiring ad-lib, whereas movie is like hand-made. I became lazier than before." What this apparently ungraspable words mean is that he has outgrown the acting which remained all the same, however many takes he did, and the practice of repetitive feelings which such acting required. "I'm not confident of my acting skill now, but, at least, (in Untold Scandal) I didn't show repetitive feelings I used to show. Though I can't tell I acted well, I made an improvement." How Ready-made clothes will look depends upon the machine manufacturing them, while hand-made ones upon the tailor's taste. Though acting for a TV drama couldn't always be said to be tight and stereotyped, acting for a movie was more flexible than for a drama to which he had been accustomed for a long time, he confessed.

Even before doing a movie, he had his own high standards set for acting. He, a cigarette smoker, was said to repeat smoking and non-smoking. "I used to stop smoking for a couple of months before shooting a new work. However, once the work starts, I resume smoking to ease the stress coming from the job. Anyway, I stop smoking before starting my new work...in order to test my will power. I've done so since I acted for dramas." This habit, without fail, had been kept for 2 months before the crank-in of the movie, and his desire so strong as to test his own will power (in stopping smoking) remained unabated a bit at the shooting site of his debut movie. "I always requested one more take. As soon as Mr. Director shouted, 'Cut!', before seeing my acting on the monitor, I demanded, 'Mr. Director, just one more take!'" This is what he would persist in at the shooting locations where most outdoor shoots had to be finished before sunset and where the period movie would require more complicated preparations for makeup, lighting and shooting than other movie genres.

"Expressions of which I had not been aware came out. I never thought such expressions could emerge out of me, but they did. That is, potential properties inside me were taken out. I've come to feel charms of such a job. I feel sorry that the job ended. I enjoyed it. I remember vividly the shared time among us and feel like doing jobs with them again." In fact, that anticipating expression of him was confused with his smiles shown in his dramas and CFs. Not a few people would guess that BYJ, accustomed thoroughly to a broadcasting world, leads even a real life more or less within the world. Even if that's true, I'd not like to doubt his words at the moment. Even if the first impression that he was too defensive unlike my expectation might be my illusion deceived by his professionalism, I would not feel bad. It's because, at least, I could not ignore his word that the first time is always special. "I thought, 'If I have finished this work, I will, surely I will gain something as an actor.' And I have gained it. If you ask me what it is, however, I won't answer it. I'd not like to tell it easily." It doesn't seem quite important to force an answer from his mouth. His acting will tell.

Link to the article: http://www.cine21.com/Magazine/mag_pub_vie...01&mag_id=20825

Guest frances

~ another beautiful article written by a BYJ fan.

Original written by 늘푸른솔(Neul-pureun-sol)

posted in KOB

[Why do you love Bae Yongjoon so much? And do you still trust him?]

It is quite natural a human being should love another human being.

By the way, I have a serious question to ask of you now.

Why do you like BYJ?

Do you like him for the same reason with me?

I came to know his existence for the first time through WLS and his wonderful acting in the drama,

and his personality through Hotelier.

I was happily surprised at his ability to choose works watching HWRL,

felt his purity in Barefooted Youth,

and remembered the vague memory of favorable feeling toward him by First Love.

I was glad to perceive his unlimited potentiality for a great actor through his debut movie Untold Scandal.

Thanks to those reasons perhaps,

if someone asks me why you like Actor Bae Yongjoon, I answer promptly,

"He is a book lover in possession of an enormous quantity of books,

man of study with intellectual attraction,

man with good acting skills and good eye for choice of his works,

man of thoroughness and effort, near to a perfectionist,

man with a tender smile and a cool head,

and, above all, man of decency who is considerate of others."

Yes, I like him for all those good points.

Then I cannot help asking her back,

Aren't they enough for me to love him?

Those are what I like of him.

Then, what do you love him for?

Maybe, as he and I are getting through at many things,

I've believed and trusted him until now, I think.

People are wondering how come you became a fan of a star when you are no longer young.

However, I retort to them,

"He is not an alien artiste to me.

He is a great but close artist, who chooses such works as I like and feel for,

and makes me touched and proud with his faultlessly wonderful performances.

I'd like to pat him on the back."

He is announcing his next movie soon after a long interval of a year.

We, though a family accustomed to patient waiting, have longed for this moment nervously.

Maybe someone will say,

"Why are you so impatient? Don't you know that he works at rare intervals?

In the past we had to wait for more than 2 years to see his next work.

This time he is showing up only in a year."

However, unlike a drama of 20 episodes,

a movie which ends in a 2 hours of screening for all our long waiting is far from a quencher to our thirst.

Luckily, Untold Scandal, with its classic script, beautiful art design and excellent performances of actors,

left such deep impression on us that it has sustained us awaiting his next work for a year so far.

Some of us felt sorry, however, since his next work turned out to be a movie.

He says definitely he would never neglect either of them,

since he, as an actor, ought to perform whether it's a movie or a drama.

If he who had prepared for 10 years to be an actor returns to a drama only after performing in a single movie

and loses the sense of movie acting,

what a loss it would be!

Moreover, he who cherishes a dream of becoming a director can experience and learn much about movie production

through this opportunity of filming a movie again.

I'm very curious in which movie he will show his more trained and chiseled shape.

When he chose a period movie as his debut on the silver screen far beyond our imagination,

we, despite our proclaimed trust in him, were half worried and half expectant....

However, giving a fatal blow to our worries,

he presented us with unforgettable joy and pride by the wonderful results beyond our expectation.

Now as his family which he calls us,

since he thinks we love him unconditionally and believe and protect him always,

I will believe and support him forever, whatever choice he may make for his next work.

Do you still trust him?

Then, come and join us to believe and support him forever!

[Original article]

Posting #5578 on the BYJ's KOB Talk Box:

배용준, 님들은 그를 왜 좋아하십니까? 그리고, 지금도 그를 믿으십니까... 늘푸른솔 2004.09.06

~ first time i've read this article :) what a treat !!

[Trans] Cine21(10/14/2003, No. 422) BYJ's Photocommentary on Untold Scandal

Article : Cine21(10/14/2003, No. 422)/ Manggeon tightening my head, anxiety irritating Mr. Director

Written by Bae Yongjoon

posted in BYJ's KOB

[Manggeon*1) tightening my head, anxiety irritating Mr. Director]

Thanks frances for reposting this article

Actually it was posted in KOB and Quilt before

Our prince really have the talent to be a writer...

Remember those long ..long messages in KOB

I wish he will write again

Guest frances

Thanks frances for reposting this article

Actually it was posted in KOB and Quilt before

Our prince really have the talent to be a writer...

Remember those long ..long messages in KOB

I wish he will write again

hi sara, someday, i hope yong joon will publish a book containing all his collection of black & white photos w/ accompanying commentaries from our man, just like his favorite photographer Henri Cartier Bresson. [ whose photographs are also in black & white ( like yong joon) and most of his subjects are people ( like yong joon too !! )].

below is a pic of the favorite of Yong Joon, French master Cartier-Bresson (1908-2004)

HenriPort.jpg

[ regarded as one of the greatest photographers of his time, Cartier-Bresson elevated "snap shooting" to the level of a refined and disciplined art. His sharp-shooter’s ability to catch "the decisive moment," his precise eye for design, his self-effacing methods of work, and his literate comments about the theory and practice of photography made him a legendary figure among contemporary photojournalists.]

http://www.photo-seminars.com/Fame/bresson.htm

Guest frances

~ we've already posted the June2005 Monthly Chosun interview of BYJ. now, here's the first Monthy Chosun interview he had with Ms Root Lee last May 2004. this translation comes in 4 parts...enjoy !! :)

[Trans] BYJ's Interview with the Monthly Chosun(May, 2004) Part 1

Written by Lee, Keunmi(Monthly Chosun, May 2004)

posted in KOB

rootlee1912xf.jpgrootlee2415it.jpg

<Exclusive Interview in Japan with BYJ, Lover of Asian Women>

"I'm so glad to have an interview with a Korean reporter.

Now is most important to me, for nobody knows when he will die."

The Korea top 100 brand Bae Yongjoon paid a visit to Japan together with his 20 staff members, making the hearts of Japanese women go flutter with his tender words and expressions. Japan, a market for WLS-related merchandise worth 150 billion won, is also swept by a fever for learning the Korean language.

Evading interviews and talk show programs, having no official fan club, and not fretting over the maintenance of his popularity at all, Mr. BYJ said, "Though I feel uneasy when I talk in front of others, I will speak and take the initiative when I have to."

[Profile of Bae Yongjoon]

Born in Seoul in 1972

Studying in Seonggyungwan University Film Department

Started his acting career with the KBS drama 'Greetings of Love' in 1994

Awards:

- New Actor award of the 1995 KBS Grand Performance Awards

- Valuable Actor award and Popularity award of the 1996 KBS Grand Performance Awards

- Popularity award for TV actors of the 33rd BackSang Art Awards for 'First Love' in 1997

- New Movie Actor award and Popularity award of the 24th Blue Dragon Film Festival for 'Untold Scandal' in 2003

- New Movie Actor award of the 40th Baeksang Art Awards for 'Untold Scandal' in 2004

Written by Lee Keunmi (Freelancer: gosus@dreamwiz.com)

["I'm so glad to have an interview with a Korean reporter"]

On the afternoon of April 5.

In the New Otani Hotel in Tokyo, Japan, I met Movie actor Bae Yongjoon, who grasped my hand and shook it wildly, saying that he was so glad to have an interview with a Korean reporter. He must have been very happy to meet a Korean reporter after a long relay of thirty-minute interviews with Japanese reporters through the interpreter from morning.

Mr. BYJ was extremely busy with interviews by the Japanese press. I could observe those interviews thanks to Mr. BYJ's manager team. Their questions, more or less the same, were focused on 'Winter Love Song'. Seeing him answer to the same questions with a smile all day long, I thought it's not an easy job to manage one's popularity.

The Japanese reporters were lining up waiting for their turns in front of the royal suite room on the 14th floor where Mr. BYJ was staying. The fact that the distinguished press of Japan had to queue for interviews with a Korean actor made me feel proud as a Korean.

IMX in charge of Mr. BYJ's visit in Japan offered him the royal suite room generally provided for national celebrities with the charge of 13 million won per night. IMX has the copyrights to broadcast his drama 'Hotelier' and to broadcast 'WLS' on the Internet.

Mr. BYJ visited Japan, the last leg of his one-month Asian tour for the promotion of his first movie 'Untold Scandal' on Apr. 3 when the 1st episode of 'WLS' was aired on the terrestrial general channel of NHK.

Fans mobbed him wherever he visited, in Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong or Japan where Haneda International Airport was almost paralyzed with his recent arrival.

According to the Sankei Shimbun, 7,000 persons crowded the airport. BYJ's party aboard the plane looked down at them form 2 lines along the street outside the airport due to its extremely limited capacity, and were said to be very surprised at the sight. "I felt a twang in the heart at the sight of the Japanese people lining up," said Mr. Kim Hyonjoo, who, being the PD of SBS' program 'TV Entertainments at Midnight', accompanied Mr. BYJ to cover his visit to Japan.

[syndrome or Panic]

The Japanese press used not 'the Korean Wave' but a 'Syndrome' or 'Panic' in their description of BYJ tornado. Japanese fans called BYJ 'Yon Sama'. 'Yon' is a Japanese pronunciation of Yong, and 'Sama' is the superlative honorific title only for the Japanese aristocracy including the royal family.

The interest of the Japanese press in BYJ was so hot that NHK broadcast his arrival at the airport live and the major daily papers reported his story on the front pages.

Apr. 4, in the Shibuya Public Hall were held the Japanese fan meeting and later the press conference where gathered 700 reporters from TV stations, newspapers, magazines, etc. All the major Japanese media including the local press attended the conference.

When I met BYJ in the New Otani Hotel, he looked very tired. Chief Manager Mr. Yang Keunhwan said, "BYJ is extremely tired, feeling groggy. As unexpected interviews from the Japanese press are squeezed into his schedule, he is so upset. He is going to take a ringer injection when your interview ends. Please make yours as short as possible."

BYJ, talking in a thick voice, cleared his throat often.

He wore a white, laced shirt, a pale Indian pink jacket, white trousers and shoes, and violet-colored sunglasses. His style fitted the image of contemporary women's ideal man, 'man with a soft and beautiful face and a strong body'.

I presented him with a book containing sermons of 25 priests, titled 'Love will make you free' and published by the Monthly Chosun. BYJ said, "Oh, it has the Revd. Kwag Sunhee's sermon! His words are so classical. I visited Somang Church several times and often listen to the sermon tape."

- According to your profile on the official home page (www.byj.co.kr), your religion is Catholic.

"I have no prejudice against any religion. I sometimes visit Buddhist temples, Catholic and Presbyterian churches. My parents are Catholic, and my sister is Christian. My uncle is a priest. I'm in rather liberal atmosphere religiously."

- Feelings of our nation are still not favorable toward Japan. How did you feel at the sight of Japanese people welcoming you ardently?

"Though (the past) cannot be such a trifle as to be considered just as bygone matters, the present is important, and the future is more important, isn't it? I hope Japanese people have emotional relationship with Koreans through 'WLS', and that it may serve a momentum for increasing communication between the two countries in future." Saying, "despite bad feelings toward Japan, we have to learn what we should, and accommodate what's good from it", he introduced an episode.

"Earlier, many Japanese fans came to the Baeksang Art Awards ceremony. The security guards, seeing them give cheers, held them back with shouts. All the Korean celebrities were supposed to be there. I couldn't believe my eyes, and thought they had disgraced our country. I felt deplorable at their misbehaviors. In contrast, when I arrived at Haneda Airport, all the Japanese policemen and security guards, crouching themselves, controlled the crowd who tried to take pictures of me in the car. They didn't want to block people's views. Such care, such mind is important."

During the interview next to the Monthly Chosun's, Tsukushi Tetsuya, the anchorman of 'TBS NEWS 23', asked the like question again.

BYJ answered, "Though the past is difficult for Korean peole to forget, the present and the future are important. Solving what is to be solved about the past, the two countries ought to talk about the future." The reputed reporter Tsukushi Tetsuya is famous as interviewing international celebrities. Included among his interviewees are Tom Cruise and the US ex-president Bill Clinton.

Ms. Choi Youngse, who accompanied me to the interview, is a Korean Japanese. She got married to a Japanese and has lived in Tokyo for 11 years. Then was the first time she heard of BYJ. She remained indifferent throughout my interview with him. When Tsukushi Tetsuya started an interview with him, however, she said, "Wow, BYJ must be a somebody. Tsukushi is the most reliable newsman in Japan. BYJ's being interviewed by him proves that he is the best."

After finishing the interview with BYJ, Tsukushi Tetsuya said, "Many acquaintances of mine asked me to obtain your autographs, but I'd like to present an important person with yours. Will you sign on it?", thrusting a magazine with BYJ on the cover. While BYJ signing, Ms. Choi Youngse approached Tsukushi Tetsuya and got his autograph.

<to be continued>

there is this one song that i quite like in the movie April Snow but it's not in the ost... em it's played in the background of the scene where Insoo and Seoyung were at this cafe that overlooks the beach. It's really nice and i really hope that anyone here who noes can tell me the title of the song and where to download it... :D Thanx

Oh..I have been thinking of posting these exact same sentiments the past few days....

Maybe good to post in Quilt as well and tap into the power of the korean baesisters.

"He is a book lover in possession of an enormous quantity of books,

man of study with intellectual attraction,

man with good acting skills and good eye for choice of his works,

man of thoroughness and effort, near to a perfectionist,

man with a tender smile and a cool head,

and, above all, man of decency who is considerate of others."

Evading interviews and talk show programs, having no official fan club, and not fretting over the maintenance of his popularity at all

Only Yong Joon can be described as the above description. Frances, thanks for posting the above articles. Btw unni, i'll be waiting for the rests of the article :)

Jangmi posted this on the News board of HerMes.com.

Translated and posted by Joanne in the News Section of BYJ's Quilt

'Korean Current stars mecca' including BYJ's are getting popular

[sports Hankook]10/21/05 09:03

(BYJ) making agency office into a small-scale gallery

Ryu Shiwon also commercialize Andong Damyeonjae for tourism

nopredict200510210900410.jpg

The 'holy places of Korean Current stars' are getting popular.

Thanks to power of Korean Current stars BYJ & Ryu Shiwon, unusual products associated with Korean Current are getting limelight.

BYJ's agency, BOF, is decorating its previous agency office located in Nonhyeon-Dong, Kangnam-Ku Seoul as a tourism product. BYJ, when it moved agency office in the last May, is newly refurbishingold office as a space for fans.

Because BYJ's enthusiastic fans already have been considering this place as the famous spot they must visit when they visit Korea, the agency decided to rather open the place for the fans.

The BOF staff told that "Although we began internal repair with initial schedule of opening its door in September, the schedule is getting delayed," and "We are decorating in the form of small memorial building where one can see past, present and future of BYJ."

......Omit.........

Reported by Koh Kyudae,enter@sportshankook.co.kr

Copyright © Sport Hankook

Guest frances

[Trans] BYJ's Interview with the Monthly Chosun(May, 2004) Part 2

0405_226_4.jpg0405_226_8.jpg

[As many as 20 thousand requests made to rebroadcast 'WLS']

Starting from Mr. BYJ's arrival, Messrs. Jang Donggun, Won bin, and Seol Kyonggu were to visit Japan, in which the Japanese press showed tremondous interest under the title of 'Arrivals of 4 Korean Emperors'.

'WLS' directed by Mr. Yun Seokho and starred by Mr. BYJ and Ms. Choi Jiwoo has won tremendous popularity in Japan.

NHK's satellite station BS2 aired 'WLS' (titled as 'Winter Sonata' in Japan) twice, in April and December, 2003, respectively, and featured special programs related to it 4 times. Nevertheless, the requests to broadcast it on the ground wave amounting to as many as 20,000, NHK started to broadcast it again at 11 o'clock every Saturday night since last April 3.

I heard why NHK broadcast 'WLS' from Junco Ogawa, who is the representative producer of Highvision Department of NHK, and the very person to have chosen 'WLS' for airing.

"With the World Cup ahead of us, many viewers sent us emails requesting to broadcast Korean movies and dramas, because they were interesting. My broadcaster used to air dramas mostly produced in the USA and the UK. Facing such requests, we considered to broadcast not western dramas but Asian ones, and watched various dramas from China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. Then, hearing that the popularity of 'WLS' was very hot in Korea, we studied it and decided to broadcast it, which turned out a big hit. We didn't expect such a result."

'WLS' was the first Korean drama series broadcast by NHK which had aired one-episode Korean dramas before. The most popular foreign drama till then was 'ER', a US medical drama. Despite their more or less the same viewing rate, the response to 'WLS' was much hotter.

Representative Producer Ogawa added. "Letters from 'WLS' viewers are 10 times as many as those from 'ER' viewers. While letters about 'ER' are short, those from 'WLS' viewers are much longer, with many of them to 10 pages expressing their strong impressions and their memories of the past. They commented, "WLS is not a simple love story but a serious drama involving sincerity toward friends, lovers and parents. Especially, many people cited lines from the drama in their letters, saying they were very impressive.

Despite its similarity with Japanese dramas in the 1930s and 1940s, it's somewhat different from them in that it has heart-captivating and cathartic lines in each scene. Despite the indication of the drama's frequent dependency upon coincidence, such a flaw doesn't matter a lot thanks to its many touching lines. The music also plays a part in its popularity. Unlike usual Japanese noisy sound, the 'WLS' OSTs are lyrical, thus pulling at the viewer's heartstrings."

[bYJ's tenderness moves the hearts of Japanese women]

A Japanese journalist covering 'WLS' syndrome 'started the coverage to satisfy his curiosity into its background after hearing housewives talk about 'WLS' in a sauna,' and analyzed why it became so hot with Japanese women.

"'WLS' has been tremendously popular, especially among housewives in their 30s to 50s. They said, 'My husband doesn't speak to me as tenderly as Mr. BYJ,' 'I've never heard such tender and beautiful lines before,' or 'I had wanted to see this kind of drama and I watched it at last.' As it has no sexual scenes, the family could enjoy it together. An elderly woman in her 80s sent a story of her first love to NHK after seeing it."

"Women would watch it first in Japanese, then in Korean, and, for the third time, see it in the dark room crying alone. In many letters they said they started learning Korean to listen to BYJ's dialogues in his own voice."

The viewing rate of the first episode of 'WLS', aired on the terrestrial channel on Apr. 3, marked 9.2%, ranking top among NHK-imported dramas. Viewing rate on the range of 4% is high enough for NHK dramas. Choonsuke Tokuna, working in the Publicity Management Team of NHK Publicity Department, said he was happy with the result that the first episode's rate was more than twice as high as those of other dramas.

"BYJ, tall, beautiful and elegant, is the type of man Japanese women like," Representative Producer Juncho Ogawa said. "That is one of the reasons they like 'WLS'."

The novel 'WLS' sold 860 thousand copies, and the guide book to 'WLS', 280 thousand copies, both of which were published by NHK Publishing, an arm of the NHK group. 150 thousand DVDs were sold, too. If a Japanese drama sells as many as 10 thousand DVDs, it's considered as a big hit.

Besides, many companies are savoring the 'WLS' special procurements of such as mobile phone ring tones, music scores, Polaris necklaces, travel guide books, etc. Experts inside Japan evaluate a single drama of 'WLS' has created a market worth of roughly 150 billion won.

The popularity of 'WLS' earned him warm welcome in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore, too. Fans from 11 countries thronged at the fan meeting in Singapore and the Hong Kong fan meeting was crowded with fans from Mainland China.

- You received unprecedented welcome in the 4 Southeast countries, and in Japan a great number of fans and reporters are chasing you. What do you think of it?

"I've thought it would be nice if Asia is united. The US and the European markets don't suit us emotionally, though we have accommodated and enjoyed them so far... It may be the same case in Japan. The fact that Asian people feel sympathetic with 'WLS' means they have similar emotions. It may serve a momentum for Asia to be united. Korean directors and producers had better produce works with a view that Asia is one."

[i've done good a diplomatic job, haven't I?]

- If the Asian market is promoted, can it compete with Hollywood?

"If we expand the range of the market and make movies aiming at Asia, there will be nothing to be afraid of."

- Are you going to join a movie aiming at the Asian?

"Understanding of its culture must be preceded. It's the same with the language. They are problems confronting me, and I have to make great efforts to overcome them in future."

- This time, major domestic press have covered your visit in Japan on a large scale. With the explosively expanded size of the movie industry, and the heightened status of artistes, views toward artistes have changed greatly. You may feel increasing sense of responsibility.

"I've done a good diplomatic job, haven't I? (Laugh) My responsibility has increased whether I wanted or not, and I think I have to endeavor myself to be capable of it. There are many things to study, and to be prepared for... Now, I feel, 'my body no more belongs to me only, regardless of my

will."

- Will you accept it if you are offered a Japanese drama?

"If an offer is made, I would appreciate it and have to learn the Japanese language and culture for the sake of the drama. Only when I've been well equipped with the software, I can afford to access Japanese fans."

Mr. BYJ, known to be taking Japanese lessons, not only said simple Japanese greetings, but also expressed his impressions of Japanese movies and directors in the language.

Since his debut in 1994, Mr. BYJ has performed only in 10 dramas including short ones, and a single movie. He is notorious as an actor doing works at rare intervals. His works are remarkably few in comparison with other top stars of his age. As he is very careful in the choice of his works, most of his dramas have been well criticized.

The viewing rate 65.8% of the KBS drama 'First Love' he starred in 1997 remains yet to be broken. His drama 'Have We Really Loved.' aired on MBC in 1999, formed a mania group for a particular drama for the first time in Korea. The fans of HWRL still have meetings in memory of Jaeho, the leading character.

The KBS drama 'WLS', his work in 2002, hit Asia violently, and his debut movie 'Untold Scandal' attracted 3.5 million moviegoers to the big screen.

He is known to make many preparations for his dramas and movie before filming them.

- I've heard your skills in English and piano are considerably high-leveled.

"It's just a rumor (Laugh)."

Last year, at a CF shooting site for a coffee brand, Mr. BYJ played on the piano 'As I Close My Eyes', the background music of the CF, and the theme music of 'Love Affair' from memory.

[Piano skills on a professional level]

- To which level have you practiced the piano?

"I haven't practiced it systematically. The 'Moonlight' sonata in the movie 'Immortal Beloved' was good to ears. Gary Oldman with his ear on the keyboard looked so nice. So I played the 'Moonlight' a little. Hearing Annette Bening hum in 'Love Affair', I had its score drawn and played it."

If he can play 'Moonlight', his skills are considerable, but he said it's nothing.

He reads various books regardless of their kinds, and enjoys reading news magazines. Now and then he buys the Monthly Chosun at a convenience store, he added. He reads them minutely at the sports center.

- Before coming here for your interview, when I asked people around me what they were most curious of stars, they were curious about their routins when they do not work."

"Should I tell all? Umm, in the morning, I wake up, have a breakfast reading newspaper, and then go to gym. I do exercise for about 2 and half hours a day, and then have a lunch. I spend time reading, watching movies, surfing a little on the net, and playing the piano.

- Do you go to the cinema often?

"I usually watch DVDs. I don't like to hang about."

Mr. BYJ stays home alone or spends time together with intimate persons like his managers. He joined artiste golf club "ShingleBunggle" (meaning 'happy smile') presided by the movie actor An, Seongki, and plays golf with them now and then.

Chief Manager Yang hinted, " As Mr. BYJ is such a type that concentrates himself on whatever he may do, his average score is 80, though he started golfing not long ago."

Mr. BYJ would take a break spanning from 1 to 2 years before starting his next work. He had examined and turned down more than 80 scenarios before he filmed the movie 'Untold Scandal'.

- Don't you feel irritated with your long gaps in the entertainment business full of ups and downs?

"I don't care about it. I've never idled my time away doing nothing. Even when I have no shooting, I'm really busy all day long. I've been busy learning this or that; I attended the university during a break. Strange to say, nobody knows when he will die. So, everyday is important, and this moment is precious."

"Though my condition is not good and I have a fever now, now is the moment we should talk, exchange feelings, and reveal things in the heart. This moment, though short, is important. Once I was asked when the happiest and worst moments are for me. If I have lived today hard enough and made it meaningful, I feel happy. However, if the day is idled away without doing anything meaningful, I feel unhappy. Back home in the evening, I review the whole day. Having such time is an important source of my energy."

His words were uttered rather slowly, but stood to reason.

[A step slow, he doesn't make haste]

The director of Mr. BYJ's debut drama 'Greetings of Love' is Mr. Yoon, Seokho who directed 'WLS'.

Mr. BYJ, attracting viewers' attention from his first drama, was spotlighted for the unprecedented hit drama 'The Sunny Place of Youth' which was aired by KBS TV in the following year and earned him the best new actor award of the year.

- Searching your articles, I noticed that you became a top star soon after your debut, and preserved high popularity in various surveys even when you didn't work actually. As you were spotlighted too early, haven't you ever been worried, 'What shall I do if my popularity would fall down?'

"No, I haven't. I haven't thought I'm a top star, either. If I wanted to be prolific, I would have done many works. I would have struggled, doing this or that."

It was the very Mr. Bae Yongjoon who would talk in a way 'one step slow' like his advertisement copy that interrupted me when I said to him as much as, "While doing the drama 'Police SWAT Team', you stopped..."

"You shouldn't say so. Some reports of the press were biased, and some others were exaggerated. I didn't do PSWATT, because they didn't keep their promises. Sure, the promises themselves became known, but their reports were partially false."

- According to a report at the time, 'if an actor stops a drama when he has already shot still photos for its promotion, he can hardly be adopted for next works'. Another report said, 'The acting career of BYJ has ended with his stop of filming PSWATT.'

"If I had made a contract with them, would things have stopped at that? There would have arisen legal matters as well. Therefore, the reports were false."

- You were reported to stop activities to attend a university for about 2 years in the course of your acting career. In the entertainment business where 'out of sight, out of mind' is thoroughly applied, your carriage has been different from that of other actors, but you have risen to the present status. Do you have a secret for that?

"You ought not to ask it of me (Laugh). If I say something about it, I will be considered to put on airs. If I say otherwise, people will say I pretend to be humble. I have nothing to say about it."

Mr. BYJ has no official fan club, and is reluctant to accept interview requests by reporters. He doesn't appear on TV entertainment programs and talk shows.

To my saying that some of my close reporters and media writers are complaining of his rejection to their interview requests, Mr. BYJ replied, "It's not obligatory to satisfy all the requests."

"Though that's what my managers decide depending on the situation, it's not an obligation. I didn't have many meetings even with my fans. Things seem to have their own time. There was time when I would evade ENG cameras and interviews."

"From a moment when I don't know, I found myself changed, confronting cameras and talking to them. Such was I, when I filmed 'Hotelier' and 'WLS'. When shooting the movie 'Scandal', I wanted to show different me so that people would exclaim, "Hey, BYJ can show such aspects, too!" As it coincided with the change of my mind, however, that was possible. I'm not such a type that reveals himself easily. I have difficulties in talking in front of others. Nevertheless, I will speak and take the initiative when I have to."

Mr. BYJ said, "I'd like to do a work quickly. I'd like to shoot whatever, either movie or drama, quickly." And he added smiling brightly, "The way to reward fans' support is to meet them through my work as soon as possible."

<to be continued>

Guest frances

[Trans] BYJ's Interview with the Monthly Chosun(May, 2004) Part 3

zbyjrootlee7yw.jpg

[30 to 1, the competitive rate of the fan meeting]

Though he has no official fan club, there are more than 30 BYJ-related websites on the internet. While the official homepage is maintained by his agency Hahnshin Corporation, the others are operated voluntarily by his fans. The enthusiastic support of BYJ fans is famous among his fellow

actors.

Foreigners across the Southeast Asia as well as worldwide overseas Koreans frequent BYJ's official homepage, where they strengthen the international friendship. His fans operate 4 BYJ websites in Japan, 5 in Hong Kong, 5 in Singapore and 5 more in Taiwan.

More than 30 thousand members had joined the Japanese BYJ official homepage before his visit to Japan, and the number increased to 60 thousand when the attendance to the fan meeting was open only to the members. 2000 fans among them won the admissions to the meeting through the computer lottery. Mr. BYJ, once on the stage of the fan meeting, asked to turn on the lights inside the public hall so that he could see the faces of his fans, which aroused a big clapping among the attendants.

Mr. BYJ said about his fans at the age of his elder sister or mother, "Looking into their eyes, I've noticed twinkles of purity in them. I feel really relaxed communicating with fans through such eyes. Age doesn't matter." Ms. Kumiko, the wife of Japanese Ex-president Hashimoto, attended the meeting and had luck to meet him for a short while.

On April 5, when I entered the New Otani Hotel, many women were lingering in the lobby. They were Mr. BYJ's fans waiting for his coincidental appearance. The hotel experienced hard time with crowds of his fans both in the lobby and outside the hotel on Apr. 3, 4 and the weekend.

In the lobby was a notice which wrote: Do not access, wait for, or take a picture of a particular person, for it may inconvenience other guests. Even if you are a guest staying in this hotel, you are advised not to hang around to see a particular person.

By 8pm, Apr. 5 when I came out of the hotel along with my companions, more than 30 women were hanging around outside the hotel. When asked if they were BYJ fans, they all shouted, "I like BYJ." Their ages were various, ranging from their 20s to 40s. Though total strangers, they became instantly intimate as BYJ fans.

A housewife in her 40s, who took the Shinkan-shen from Aomori for 3 hours and was staying in the New Otani Hotel, boasted herself that she had seen BYJ three times, though momentarily. As my companion Ms. Choi Youngse showed them Mr. BYJ's pictures she had taken of, they hopped shrieking. Ms. YU who requested me to email his photos by all means just repeated, "He is so handsome and so gorgeous" to the question why she liked Mr. BYJ.

['WLS' has changed the Japanese view of the Korean Japanese]

To my question how much they knew about Korea, a housewife beside me said, "I knew there is Korea, but I've come to like Korea because of Mr. BYJ, and wanted to learn more of it, seeing WLS."

Asahi TV focused its camera upon us talking noisily, and the PD in charge of the program said he was covering Japanese fans' abnormal fever for BYJ. When asked why Japanese women were so crazy, he said, "That's what I don't know and why I'm covering the fever. There were people who were crazy about overseas celebrities in the past, but not so hot as in this case."

At 9pm, Apr. 6, when I entered the hotel lobby to meet Chief Manager Yang, more than 40 women were lined up in the lobby. Regardless of glances cast to them by passers-by, women in neat suits and in their 20s to the 60s were all ears and eyes for BYJ's coincidental appearance.

A woman approached me talking into the mobile phone, and asked if I was a BYJ fan from Korea. Hearing that I was a reporter visiting Japan for an interview with BYJ, she was so happy to meet me, and said with tears in her eyes, "Then you are going to meet Mr. BYJ. May I accompany you? I'm JSH, the 3d generation of the Korean Japanese."

Though she had lost the lottery for an admission to the fan meeting, she could not help coming to Tokyo. She, staying in the hotel with his 6-year-old son after a 4-hour ride by the Shinkanshen from Hiroshima, begged me to let her meet Mr. BYJ by all means.

She said she really thanked Mr. BYJ, for he changed the Japanese' view of the Korean Japanese.

"The Japanese have slighted Korean residents in Japan all the while. However, since the broadcast of WLS, they are showing favors, telling me I would be happy to know the Korean language. I'm giving Korean lessons to the parents of my son's kindergarten friends. Most people around me are fond of Mr. BYJ. I'm very proud of him who has triggered Japanese people's interest in Korea."

While talking, she said intermittently, "I feel crying and suffocated." "I bought a 'Scandal' DVD in Korea, and watched it together with my Japanese friends," she added. "Japanese people show very good responses to its traditional story and the beautiful scenery of Korea."

To my question what she thought of his all nude scene, she cried out all of a sudden, "All of us felt joyful!" They, replaying the part again and again, watched it, holding their breath. She said, "It is a beautiful love scene."

[Fever for learning the Korean language]

When I visited 'Korea Plaza' in Shokuandori, Shinjuku, there were many women standing at the DVD corner or leafing magazines with Mr. BYJ on the cover. "We have approximately 500 visitors on weekdays and 1,000 on the weekend, " said Mr. Yeom Cheolho, the Section Chief of Korea Plaza. "70 percent of them purchase WLS-related goods."

"When a Korean drama or movie was shown, Korean actors would gain short popularity. Mr. BYJ's popularity is as 100 times, or rather 1,000 times as high as that of other Korean actors. Thanks to Mr. BYJ, we are doing good business. Now that he is in Japan, I'd like to treat him to a tea."

The price of the WLS DVD set in a Japanese version is 34 thousand yen (350 thousand won in Korean currency). Generally, a person is said to buy 2 sets, one for keeping, the other for viewing. Many Japanese people buy the Korean DVD to learn the Korean language. Yashiro Satomi, a housewife in her 40s, bought WLS DVD. "I came to know Korea through 'Friends', a joint Korea-Japan drama," she said. "After that, while I was watching WLS, I wanted to know about Mr. BYJ and am collecting his information."

NHK published 200,000 copies of the textbook of 'Korean Language Lectures' broadcast on NHK educational television starting from Apr. 6. The NHK source said, "we first had published 110,000 copies of it, the same amount of the German or French language textbook, but printed additions as the popularity of Korean language increased. Besides English lectures, Korean language is the most popular. Chinese language lectures come next to the Korean language, selling 150,000 copies. Korean language schools in Tokyo are always crowded with women in their 20s to 40s.

A visit to Korea is the next step for Japanese women who have interest in Korea and learn Korean language. Last November, more than 900 Japanese tourists visited Korea to watch 'Scandal', and there are still rushes of Japanese people to visit the shooting sites of 'WLS' and 'Scandal'.

<to be continued>

Guest frances

[Trans] BYJ's Interview with the Monthly Chosun(May, 2004) Part 4

0405_226_2.jpg0405_226_3.jpg

0405_226_1.jpg

[i regard fans as my family]

Mr. BYJ won the best new actor award of both the Blue Dragon Film Festival and the Baeksang Art Awards Festival for the movie Untold 'Scandal'. He expressed his fans as 'protectors', or 'family' at the ceremonies.

- Do you have a reason for treating your fans so cordially?

"We are Mafias."

Instantly, the managers and the staff present there burst into laughter.

"I regard them as my family. They trust me unconditionally, they trust me whatever incident may happen. Only family do so, don't they? They will consider me as their family member, too. They will feel it in their heart."

- I understand that you went to Pusan to offer your condolences when a fan of yours passed away from a cancer last year (Translator's note: she seems mistaken about the year. It was already 2 years ago.), and that you met a Tai fan who has a fortune worth 15 trillion won and suffers from breast cancer, when she came to Korea recklessly with a wish that she would recover from it if she could meet you.

"Because the one who cared and loved me passed away, I went there to offer my condolences. I didn't do it to make a show or parade of it. If I had been in her place, she would have done the same. Put yourself in the other person's shoes, and nothing matters."

"As for the Tai lady... How could the press report that way? Does a fortune worth as much as 15 trillion won exist actually? I wondered why they would report articles only provokingly or sensationally. On seeing the reports, my managers advised me to be careful. I told them, "I don't care. If we're innocent in the heart, it doesn't matter at all." So, I went to meet her. When I met her, her health condition seemed okay. She was in such a condition as to get well if she gets a surgery. I was relieved she would get all right after her surgery, though the surgery would be difficult for a woman."

At the end of last year, when the rumor of a love story with a certain TV actress took place, Mr. BYJ posted a message on the official homepage that he has a girlfriend studying movie direction. Though posted late at night, it was instantly clicked more than 10,000 times and had hundreds of replies.

Most fans encouraged him, with comments of "Congratulations. Hope your beautiful relationship may lead to a good result!" In several hours after his posting, netizens found out the profile and photos of his girlfriend Ms. Lee Sagang, and uploaded them on the internet.

Ms. Lee Sagang, 23, transferred to London Film School in England while studying Drama in Joongang University in Korea, and is taking a graduate course in the former.

- Didn't it happen to you that the press would report the news instantly, if you left a message about your girlfriend on the official homepage?

"My family is more important to me than the press. Whatever the reports may be, they do not trust the reports. They trust what I say. I didn't want to hurt my family with somewhat 'exaggerating articles'... Actually, the time was a bit too early for me to announce my girlfriend, but I thought I couldn't face my family, if whatever slight exaggerations might be coming out."

- Any progress with your relationship with Ms. Lee Sagang?

"We are friends."

- Even if the best top star gets married, he is likely to become an ordinary man of life. When a top star after his marriage shows up with his wife on TV, and talks in detail about his daily life, many women feel dampened.

"I don't have a thought of marriage now. I don't have the idea of marrying soon, either. Even if I get married later, I will never reveal my privacy. I have no reason to be intruded."

[i want to resume my study, take pictures]

- The writings you posted on the website were very good. There are words circulating on the internet that 'you didn't write them on your own.'

"Then, who would write them? Earlier, a magazine reported the like article."

Chief Manager Yang beside him added, "I can confirm it definitely. It was not until I got a phone call from a reporter that I knew such a writing was posted on the website."

In spite of his voice getting thicker and thicker from his bad physical condition, he answered tough questions sincerely and with a bright smile.

- I've heard that you are good at photographing and can even develop and print photos on your own. The photos you took of the staff at 'Untold Scandal' shooting sites were a topic of conversation.

"Frankly, I didn't like the 'Untold Scandal' photos. My point of view keeps on changing. When photographing them, I pursued strong contrast. Later when I consulted others' photo albums, I realized that a great variety of shadow details were expressed in their photos, though they had not so strong contrast, and had very fine grains. But only a few shadows are in my pictures. That's not it, I thought, and I changed my view."

"When are you going to resume your study," I asked him who had taken 4 semesters' lectures of 'Film, Television and Multimedia' in Art School of Seonggyungwan University. He said to himself, "Here came the heart-breaking question at last."

- You can prolong schooling by applying for a small quantity of unites each semester.

"How could I afford that with my present (hectic) schedule? My university does not admit of easy-going way of studying."

As if to encourage himself, Mr. BYJ spoke in a loud voice, "I will graduate."

Whenever Japanese interviewers asked him what he would like to do in the future, Mr. BYJ answered he'd like to teach students later. Apparently he ought to graduate from the university. He wanted to talk more about photography.

"I have cherished an idea in my mind. This time, I was so out of sorts and spirits that I didn't bring my cameras. I'd like to photograph steadily while moviing around, and publish a book. Something that has photos, and stories as well."

[Korea Top Brand, walking enterprise]

Included among the Korea Top 100 Brands, a supplement to the January 2004 issue of the Monthly Magazine, was Mr. Bae Yongjoon. Only 6 personal names squeezed themselves onto the list, mostly filled with company brands and merchandise brands. Mr. BYJ is the only male actor on the ;ist. Experts assumed he would earn 5 billions won for this year. Chief Manager Yang said, "Whether the earnings will amount to 5 billion or 10 billion won, nobody knows." As he has risen to an Asian star now, it's not easy to foretell how much his earnings will be.

Since last year BYJ has acted as a print advertisement model for the quality brand Ray-ban, representing 10 Asian countries excepting Japan. Last February, he made a contract to be a print advertisement model with 'Ray-ban Japan'. He earned a guarantee of 300 million won for a six-month term.

Now that he has risen to an Asian actor, the way to become an Asian model of global companies is wide open to him.

["I don't want to talk about politics, because (present politics) seems foolish"]

An entourage of 20 persons including 5 managers, a costume coordinator, a hair stylist, a makeup artist, a physical trainer, etc, accompanied Mr. BYJ visiting Japan. His managers met the persons of the related businesses in Japan, dealing with offers of dramas or various beneficiary businesses including AD. commercials.

They talked about various topics such as drama offers, production of BYJ documentary, character business, publication of a photo album, production of merchandizing goods, etc. The export contracts with Japanese companies regarding all his previous dramas have been completed so

far.

An overall news website Zakzak (www.zakzak.co.jp) in Japan, jointly operated by Fuji TV and the Sankei Shimbun, reported, "Women in their 30s to 50s are the major contemporary consumer class, which exactly coincides with the fans of BYJ and 'WLS.' Enterprises producing merchandise for women want to relate BYJ fever to product sales."

I asked the 'walking enterprise' BYJ how he manages money.

"I don't manage it. I give it to my parents. They can make it. I'm not good at such a headache. I do not want to be distracted. My parents will feel happy. They will save some. I don't know how they manage it."

As I asked him this or that about the contemporary political situation, he said he didn't want to talk about politics, and then added, lowering his voice, "Because it's foolish." However, he gave his definite opinion about the 'foolish political circle' on the condition that his remarks be kept off the record.

- What do you think of an artiste involved in politics?

"As that is a doing of his own choice, I won't comment to it. I can tell I will never be involved in it."

- What image do you want to have in future?

"As I'm not a politician, I need not stick to a fixed image. However, I have my own basic image: always to be sincere and true, and live a life trying my best. However, I'd like to challenge a variety of roles in my acting career."

-Your fans define your image as 'intellectually sexy.' How do you feel about it?

"I feel so good. I love to hear that."

[i want to produce heart-warming movies]

Mr. BYJ entered into the entertainment business as a staff member of a movie company in Choongmu-ro, and then started his acting career to earn money on his own for studying abroad. As there formed a group of people who trusted him, he came to continue his acting career due to the sense of responsibility for them, and now has hopes to produce his own movies.

"I don't know when it will be. It is a long-range one. As I want to make a movie in which I can perform as well as direct, I've been preparing for it through studying. I want my movie to be heart-warming, but a thriller for its genre."

"I'd like to show my best through many works to the Asian fans who have loved WLS," Mr. BYJ said. "We are planning to 'do good' with Asian fans in the future." To my request to talk the details, "It ought to be what will make everybody warm in the heart," he said.

His answers during the interview were given after careful thinking, and were never decisive. Chief Manager Yang added, "Mr. BYJ's fans are doing many charities." The motto of Mr. BYJ's fans is 'First love forever' regardless of their nationalities.

"A Japanese fan handed over 200 thousand yen (worth 2 million won in Korean currency), asking to spend it on chrities. Taiwanese fans help handicapped children, and Singapore fans join a campaign to help needy students. Hong Kong fans started to help cancer patients including children. Japanese fans plan to do good deeds too. Domestic fans are also doing charities quietly."

"Mr. BYJ is an actor of efforts," Chief Manager Mr. Yang who has worked with Mr. BYJ for 4 years said of BYJ. "His prudence has brought him a success, but his being too careful is a weak point as well."

In a high speed age when many actors do works simultaneously, or set to new works without a gap, Mr. BYJ goes 'one step slow.' Though he was given an offer from Taiwan that they would pay 24 million won an episode for his performance in a Taiwanese drama, he rejected it, on the ground that he will not accept an overseas offer before he is fully prepared for the understanding of its culture and language.

Whereto will Mr. BYJ, slow in a decision but perfect in preparations once the decision made, take his prudent step? Now the whole Asia is watching for it carefully.

<end>

Guest frances

April Snow marked 2.5 million viewers in Japan :)

From Asahi Shinbun newspaper (evening edition) ~~

a0100370_7_dsc00720.jpg

a0100370_7_dsc00721.jpg

photos from oda5yoko of winlovesong

translation by Myonne

posted in Quilt

In the middle of this ad, BYJ's message is posted ( 2nd photo) ~~

"I am very glad to hear the news that many people watched the film in Japan.

For those who will see the film 'April Snow' from now on as well, I hope it will be a good chance to think about your respective love more profoundly once again."

Bae Yongjoon

Guest frances

~ to all our bae sis in hawaii.... songjc, crysteena ... shelly posted this in KOB this afternoon......in case some of u still dont know ;)

April Snow OST and Making of DVD in Hawaii ~

"Precious Dreams started selling the April Snow OST and Making of DVD. Alice and I went by and there was a line out the door. By five, they were all gone, but they'll have more next week."

so ladies, its time to grab ur copies now before AS invades your big screens sometime this November !!

Yong Joon's Style #1

source : www.coffeesarang.pe.kr

Japan ~ PressCon

joon1140.jpg

Japan ~ Departure

joon1141.jpg

AS Premierre in Seoul

joon1146.jpg

Japan ~ AS Reunion @ Super Saitama Arena

joon1148.jpg