Bae Yong Joon 배용준

Admin

Guest songjc

ok, i've missed a lot this week. i was getting frustrated trying to log in today and come to find out, things happened in soompi. oh well.....

anyway, i agree with you, liezle, here's a chance to really make this thread better and like you said, "jucier" with our "Baeziness". But I feel bad for both you and Frances who contributed so much to this thread. Well, it's rebuilding time, huh?

Anyway, liezle, do you by any chance still have the banner you created for me? I completely lost that one too. Please let me know. Thanks!

I'm still trying to find out about April Snow in Hawaii. I hope and hope that they will show it here in Hawaii. I really miss BYJ. Anyone know when he will start filming his new drama? I can't wait for that, too. Geez, I think I need a dose of BYJ right now. I think I will re-watch Winter Ballad this weekend....

Guest frances

Carol you're lucky you have magazines in Malaysia that features Yong Joon :) i'm sure you're pretty excited now coz AS is coming your way very very soon !!

aloha songjc B) have a little more patience sis, if ever AS wont be shown in Hawaii, just wait 2 more months :blink: and the DVD will be available in yesasia (that's what they said in the site)..

as for the Great King drama crank-in, there was a news report a couple of weeks ago that said Yong Joon will start shooting this October and they will go to Mongolia & Uzbekishtan ( right spell ??) for the outdoor shoots....but still subject to change..... :rolleyes:

ok, i've missed a lot this week. i was getting frustrated trying to log in today and come to find out, things happened in soompi. oh well.....

anyway, i agree with you, liezle, here's a chance to really make this thread better and like you said, "jucier" with our "Baeziness". But I feel bad for both you and Frances who contributed so much to this thread. Well, it's rebuilding time, huh?

Anyway, liezle, do you by any chance still have the banner you created for me? I completely lost that one too. Please let me know. Thanks!

I'm still trying to find out about April Snow in Hawaii. I hope and hope that they will show it here in Hawaii. I really miss BYJ. Anyone know when he will start filming his new drama? I can't wait for that, too. Geez, I think I need a dose of BYJ right now. I think I will re-watch Winter Ballad this weekend....

shukan_josei_3.JPGshukan_josei_9.13_2.JPG

translated & posted by Myonne in Quilt Freeboard

Exclusive article : Talk by Ms. Kim Tei who was MC in BYJ fan meetings for three times

* At that moment Bae Yongjoon ssi couldn’t move.*

“I received a large number of voices which said ‘thank you’ from many people. On BYJ’s Japanese official site, there were more than 800 messages expressing their gratitude to me from his family. I read them all in tears.”

Ms. Kim Tei thus said joyfully with her cheeks blushed. She is a familiar face to BYJ fans in Japan. She acted as a MC in BYJ’s fan meetings, uncluding the event ‘April Snow---Reunion’ held in Saitama Super Arena on August 31, 2005. Appearing on various stages as an actress, she plays an active part on TV and radio as a Korean language teacher. Moreover, she takes charge of a number of Hanryu (Korean Wave) star events.

She met BYJ for the first time when 1,000 BYJ ‘family’ gathered in Seoul in the ‘Hotelier & WLS tour’ in November 2003.

“ I thought BYJ looked like an athlete because he was tall and big. Because BYJ in dramas had looked delicate to me.”

That was her first impression of BYJ. She said she had flown to Korea from Japan with excitement of ‘I can meet BYJ himself!’

“It was when the degree of my fanship for BYJ was the highest. (laughter) Now that I am in a position of working as MC, I think I should not simply attach myself to him.”

BYJ’s politeness and frankness to anyone which she felt at that time haven’t changed a bit. What Ms. Kim Tei was surprised at is the abundance of the subject BYJ talks on.

“ The contents he spoke about at the meal meeting are broad in scope. While talking about Japanese economy or cameras of his hobby, he was considerate enough to ask me about the accessories on my dress. I thought he has much interest and knowledge in diverse directions.”

By the way, when BYJ appeared in ‘Tetsuko no Heya(Tetsuko’s Room)’ on TV the other day, he told her ‘ I have read the manners of tea ceremony in a book’ with a cup of green tea in his hands. Here again we can take a glimpse of BYJ who is always making efforts

to show us his ‘new figure’.

At the legend-born first visit to Japan in April last year, Ms. Kim Tei also acted as a MC of the fan meeting of 2,000 BYJ ‘family’ at Shibuya Public Hall.

“ Because I could not preside it well due to the change of the procedure in progress, I went to apologize to him. But he kindly said,’ You don’t have to say sorry. I could do very comfortably since you always presided for me.’”

In fact, at that time BYJ was so unwell that it was rather doubtful he could make his visit to Japan. But he appeared in his fan meeting while receiving intravenous drip infusion. In spite of never being in a generous state, he did not forget consideration towards the partner.

Ms. Kim Tei felt then the reason why Japanese fans adore him was not only through the image of ‘WLS’ but also because they are attracted by his figure who cherishes and embraces his ‘family’ gently.

“Once Bae Yongjoon ssi appears on the stage, smiles also appear on the faces of the audience and they look very beautiful.”

Never thinking the love from his fans as a matter of course, he sincerely tries to return more love than he receives to his ‘family’. It also overlaps his figure in ‘April Snow—Reunion’ this time.

Ms. Kim Tei arrived at 10 o’clock in the morning that day, and in one hour BYJ, SYJ, and the other performers arrived at the venue.

While checking the procedure, a rough rehearsal started.

“Because the schedule should progress in the unit of a minute, there was no room to have a conversation. But when we just saw each other, he spoke to me,’ How have been doing?’, so I answered,’ I have been fine. How have you been recently?’. He said, ‘ I have been a little busy these days.’”

Without having any leisurely time to enjoy the reunion after a long absence, the real stage started at 3 o’clock in the afternoon.

“ Looking at the hall which contained 25,000 people, I felt my heart aching out of strain.”

She went up on the stage keeping it in her mind that she would not interrupt the view of the audience and convey the warmth of BYJ.

“Because Bae Yongjoon ssi used the language chosen out, it contains his feeling sufficiently enough. To those who cannot make out the meaning of Korean language, I am sure they can feel his warmth.”

The hall became black out and various images of “April Snow” were screened on a large-sized monitor with theme music played by the orchestra. And suddenly BYJ in Insoo’s jumper appeared jumping up onto the stage out of the lighting equipments booth. At this surprise, the hall was filled with big applause and cheers. And BYJ made a greeting speech for as long as 2 minutes in JAPANESE! The talk show followed with BYJ, Director Hur Jinho, and Son Yejin. The time flew like an arrow.・・・・During the Q & A time from ‘family’, a big ‘ Happy Birthday’ call could be given to him from his family for his birthday he had in Japan

“ Bae Yongjoon ssi’s eyes were wet in tears, being impressed by big love from his ‘familiy’.”

In the procedure of the event, just one part was changed.

“At the last part BYJ was supposed to leave the stage behind after addressing his message to the audience. But, the applause never died down as if it might stop him leaving and furthermore, it became larger like underground rumbling. At that moment, he could not move a single step. Neither could we, MCs.”

Though ‘fast’ direction had come out from the program staff, he seemed not to be able to move.

“I heard him murmur ‘Do I have to go・・・?‘with his eyes moist with tears, though no one in the hall could hear it in such a big applause and cheers.”

Nevertheless, BYJ somehow left the stage. And in further voluming-up applause,

“He appeared on the stage again. This is what was never written in the script.”

…………………………………………….

(Myonne: If I remember correct, this happened not at the last part of the event, but at the last of the first part. After that the second part of the show began.”)

…………………………………………….

The event exceeded the scheduled time already. BYJ had to say good-bye to his ‘ family’ sooner. Feeling the wrench of parting, BYJ entered the waiting room and could not stop crying out of being touched. It was reported that the time of next coverage scheduled was delayed slightly.

“I was really moved to see that a thought of people could come true in a form like that. I am sure Bae Yongjoon ssi is the person who changed the history, and surely will do also in future….”

Screencaps from April Snow concert vod...

My dear Frances and Liezle ...do you still have the links?..... I can't seem to find them... :P

:wub:

j5xb.jpg

j13gp.jpg

Carol you're lucky you have magazines in Malaysia that features Yong Joon i'm sure you're pretty excited now coz AS is coming your way very very soon !!

Yes Frances , all of us here are pretty excited about it. Hope that it will be a great success in Malaysia!! :D:P

Guest frances

Screencaps from April Snow concert vod...

My dear Frances and Liezle ...do you still have the links?..... I can't seem to find them... :P

the links...i hope they are still working ~~

http://www.3dkesa.com/loveloveyj/vod/other-joon/10011.wmv

http://www.3dkesa.com/loveloveyj/vod/other-joon/1001.wmv

or try these links ~~

http://fumi.web.infoseek.co.jp/ins/ap_sp1.wmv

http://fumi.web.infoseek.co.jp/ins/ap_sp2.wmv

Guest liezle

Hi everyone and good morning! It'll be a busy day for me but i'll try my best to be active today in the thread.

Tiff, i read your review and thanks for sharing it with us. It made me want to fly to Sg and watch April Snow :D Thanks for the tip, will definitely watch it with heart and not with mind.

Sara, I know you can read but not post. Anyway this might help you. Soomp! just replied to this FAQ ~~

FAQ's as answered by Soomp!

Q: I CREATED A NEW ACCOUNT, BUT I CAN'T POST!!

A: did you validate your account through the email to the address you registered with? you can't post till you do this!

Q: I NEVER RECEIVED MY VALIDATION EMAIL!!

A: did you check your spam folder? please check!

Here's another message from the mod regarding change in name.

We realize that many members chose a name they did not want permenantly thinking that they could change it at any time. We will give you the opportunity to change it to whatever you want. This will be available only for a day or two so members who have already registered can make the adjustment.

You get ABSOLUTELY ONE chance at this. We have a million things to do to bring the website and forums working as it did prior to what happened yesterday. We do not have the time to address name change requests. Click the link below and you will see a single form line to enter your new name. CHECK OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN to make sure your new name is what you want and SPELLED CORRECTLY. I cannot emphasize any more that YOU DO NOT GET A SECOND CHANCE under any circumstances. We will NOT correct spelling mistakes and/or address the issue if you change your mind. Also, WRITE DOWN your new name.

You do not have to change it if you like it the way it is. (I thought that was obvious)...

Requests are processed through an automated process which runs once a day so it can take up to 24 hours for your change to go through.

http://soompi.com/forums?act=module&module=namechange

Guest liezle

(Trans.) BYJ 'April Snow' Interview in 'Cinema Junpou' a Japanese movie magazine, October issue

Translated and posted by Myonne in BYJ's Quilg

Hi, quilt sis & bros.

Again. I wud like to recite BYJ's wish for AS success in Asia.

Pls share and enjoy the article. Hoping for more success of AS all over Asia & other countries in the world. ^^/

~myonne

From “Kinema Junpo”* (Cinema Monthly) October(former half) Issue, 2005

cinema_junpou_3.JPG

cinema_junpo_2.JPG

(Myonne: *”Kinema<cinema>Junpo is a respectable movie magazine in Japan, which has 85th anniversary this year since 1919.)

“April Snow” Interview

Bea Yongjoon

+++ ‘Fatal love’ surely exists. But, I think destiny is what one makes by himself.+++

Interviewer and Writer: Ms. Hiroko Takano

Photography: Makoto Yoshioka

Date: September 1st, 2005

Place: Grand Hyatt Hotel in Tokyo, Japan

**Work which gave me a big meaning in my life**

“Until this film I had attended the shooting site prepared with calculating to some extent. Because I had thought reality could probably be governed by my consciousness. But, from a certain moment I came to think it might be the operation which put myself into a fixed frame. Therefore, I wanted to do such performance that comes out intuitively from the unconscious inside.”

In his previous film “Untold Scandal”, Bae Yongjoon always prepared several kinds of performances in advance before the shooting. In contrast to him, Director Hur Jinho is the type who completes the shooting on the spot by taking advantage of the merits of all the ‘materials’ including the players. “I decided to appear in this work only by the offer from Director himself without reading scenario nor knowing what kind of character I would play.” It was because he could be sure that Director Hur Jinho was the very person who would lead him of such a state.

In “April Snow”, Insoo, a lighting engineer, whom Bae Yongjoon plays, and Seoyong, a housewife, whom Son Yejin plays, meet each other through a traffic accident of their spouses and falls into an extramarital relationship.

“At first, I could not understand an extramarital affair, even nor could I sympathize it. I thought I definitely would not love someone in such a situation.”

During the interview he meticulously took notes of the questions, checked keywords, and responded to them exactly by relating several answers to the point. Probably, it must have been a far severer work for him to attend the shooting without preparing anything than ordinary people would imagine. In the making film of “April Snow” the figure who distressed himself saying” Something does not come out from my heart, though it’s easy to shed tears.”, is very impressive.

However, his view has gradually changed to the one admitting that there is love in such a form.

“Not solely in this work but in our daily lives as well, people always hold many contradictions. Even if one is sure of something, he lapses into contradictory situation in actual lives. I learned that we thus come to understand others.”

When I asked about the difficulties of the love scene which took as long as 9 hours to shoot and was reported greatly in Japan, he said it was not necessarily more difficult just because it was a bedroom scene.

“ For, we are professional players. Rather, the consumption of our feeling was larger. Insoo, while he is naturally attracted by Seoyoung, is partially hesitant to make an extramarital affair, and has a kind of feeling of wanting to return. He even would not like to accept his own feeling. He is happy, and at the same time, agonized, which is a very complicated feeling. I think there surely is a fatal love. But fate is a thing one makes by himself.”

He said so far he could return to himself spontaneously when he finished shooting the works. But Insoo still remains in him even now that the public release of this film is near at hand.

“I have never experienced such a feeling. Thus, this film is a very meaningful work for me as an actor, which gave me a big meaning in my life as well. More than anything, I feel myself freer than before, and could widen the scope of my understanding.”

**“I want to see the film with general audience in a movie theater.”

“April Snow”will be simultaneously released in 10 countries in Asia. Virtually it turned out to be a huge project which attracts the most attention over Asia this year. Being in the position of its center, he must have been under considerable pressure. At the press conference in Seoul, he mentioned “Since I feel tense, I haven’t seen it yet.”

“ As for myself, I am quite satisfied because I learned a lot of things during the shooting of this work. But, a movie is not just a thing for my satisfaction. It is definitely important that it can give the audience something new and satisfying. If I had performed in the previous way this time, I could have expected the completion of the film and the reaction of the audience to some extent. This time, however, I was quite ambiguous about how I actually performed. Therefore, I even could not foresee how the audience would react. So, I felt uneasy and was not able to see it.”

Bae Yongjoon said he has not seen the film yet even now when the public release will start within several days in Korea.

“Since I want to make sure the reaction of the audience with my own eyes, when I come back to Seoul, I am thinking of going to the movies to see the film in disguise (laughter) among the audience.

Of course, I watched the film in a rough form. What I felt first at that time was I would be able to free myself more in front of a camera in expressing something from now on. My comment on the work itself? I felt it eventually does not give any code of judgment. This is, I think, a work which never presents any definition of things nor any answer for good or evil, but the one where the film-viewers themselves judge, define, and realize. “

His expectation on the works and his dream seems to be large in scale beyond the region of an actor.

“’April Snow’ will be simultaneously released in Asia. I hope for the success of the film from the bottom of my heart. When good reaction comes out from each country, it possibly will be a good cause to perform something simultaneously in Asia in the future, in other works , or in other fields as well. I hope this work will be, even if small, a cause to form a cultural community where various countries will cooperatively make a bigger work in Asia.”

In photograph shooting, when our cameraman said to him, “Please be closer to the wall,” Bae Yongjoon playfully tried to adhere himself to the wall.(Looking at the cameraman panicking, he heartily laughed.) He showed us such playfulness in him. During this coverage, however, he once showed a severe expression on his face when he listened to the translation of his last answer.

When it was noisy around in order that the staff tried to let him leave early, the smiling face disappeared for a moment, and putting his index finger on his lips, he indicated ‘hush!’ towards them to control the movement. And again he regained his usual smile, and when he confirmed the translation finished, he greeted everybody there and left the room.

I was reminded of the words by Director Hur Jinho, “ The charm of Bae Yongjoon is that he has tenderness and strength in him at the same time.”

Guest frances

April Snow Thoughts

from 2 Toronto Intl FilmFest 2005 enthusiasts

1)

Oechul (April Snow) (TIFF) (2oo5)

While introducing the (almost) world premiere of April Snow (it had opened two days previous in its native South Korea), director Hur Jin-ho warned us (through a translator) that it was “a little bit slow, so hopefully you don’t get bored”. He was right, but in no way is this a complaint! This is a subtley told story about how love can both hurt us and heal us. The premise: A man gets a phone call while at work and rushes to the hospital, where his wife is in a coma after a bad car accident. Also there is a woman, and we learn that she is there because her husband was in the same accident… in the same car. While gathering their spouses’ belongings, it is unmistakingly evident that their respective partners were lovers. The film is about how these characters face their shared situation, and the relationship that develops between them.

The dialogue was sparce, but that didn’t hinder these characters from being totally believeable and affecting. The actors’ body language and facial expressions communicated more than words could have. They exuded a brilliant blend of love, hope, sadness, compassion, anger, resentment and relief.

The film was very pleasing to look at: nice perspectives, sensitive photography, warm textures. It felt very intimate. There was a good combination of close and far shots. The music was very pretty and complimented the various moods. I think it’s safe to say that although I may not watch it a second time, I loved it.

Hur Jin-ho is a relatively well-known director from South Korea - there were plenty of excited Korean women in the Paramount, that’s for sure. Then again, after a few minutes of Googling, I decided that perhaps they were hoping that the actor who played the film’s protagonist, Yong-jun Bae was going to be there, instead. He is a huge Asian celebrity, who made his star in a Korean soap opera. It’s interesting to watch these movies and then find out that their stars are incredibly huge in another part of the world. It definitely puts a different perspective on things, as so many people in North America go to movies just for the stars. Is it possible, then, that some of “our” superstars are actually good actors, too, just like Yong-jun Bae? Would Korean movie-goers be of the opinion that Gwenyth Paltrow is a good actress? How about John Travolta? I certainly hope that they have better taste than we do!

Filed by Jason at 12:41 pm under Cinema, Film

http://jasonchu.com/?p=24

2)

April Snow (Wae Chul)

MY THOUGHTS ~

I LOVE South Korean cinema. Last year’s 3 Iron was my festival favorite and though not quite in the same league as that film, April Snow was great. Director Hur Jin-ho, on stage to introduce his film, asked us to "bear with him as he hoped the character-centric story wasn’t too boring." No worries… I’ve always been a fan of character-driven stories over plot-heavy, special effects action-type movies. Frankly, I find stories about people very interesting. Unlike a lot of north American (okay, American) “character films” that use dialogue as the main driver of a film, April Snow (typical, I’ve found of South Korean film) uses silence and gestures to convey the same message. What I mean is that the actors actually act. How novel. The film is deliberate, every word is significant and every gesture laden with emotion. For a film in which not very much happened and very little was said – I came away with a lot. I felt invested in the story and in each of the characters and found myself rooting for them in the end. A really beautiful film and if you enjoy this type of thing, it’s a MUST SEE.

# posted by Brown Eyed Girl : 1:00 PM

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

http://blahblahallaboutme.blogspot.com/200...w-wae-chul.html

Guest frances

Recommended Read

[Trans & Pics] My experience with BYJ from Cine21

2005 May

From Cine 21 staff Photographer Oh Gyeok’s Blog

~~ translated & posted by Yoon in Quilt Freeboard

I came back from the movie set of <Aril Snow>. Of course it was to report on about how they were doing with the movie. I have met the director Hur Jinho several times before and have taken a couple of photos of Sohn Yejin, but this was almost the first time that I met the famous Yonsama BYJ (I took a photo of him at the press conference for a newly founded management company Actor’s Palace in 1996 but it was before he became famous and I was too busy taking pictures of other actors to take interest in him) and I was a little curious. I was really curious why so many people went crazy over him and followed him.

One of my acquaintances, a house wife in her 30’s, is a member of his fan club and she was very sad after she had to give up on a plan to visit the movie set in Samchuk because of her child’s illness. I couldn’t understand her, because frankly I thought he was too gender-neutral and couldn’t find him attractive.

Nevertheless, I got to like him after coming back from Samchuk. I can’t call myself his fan yet (I have been a fan of Sohn Changmin since I was very young. Sohn has been nice to me knowing I am his fan and whenever he shoots a movie I take charge of reporting .) but I could see why he was popular.

First of all, he seemed to be a very gentle and nice guy. These days no macho guy is popular. The more feminine a guy, the more popular he is to women. I too absolutely hate a guy who shows off his strength and says ‘We men are this and that’ at every chance. But he smiles so prettily. He knows how to make a smile which can make onlookers happy. Isn’t it this smile that enchants many women? I had a silly thought there thinking about“My son smiles so prettily too..his smiling eyes are a killer too..what to do when women follows him around when he is grown up..”

He sincerely showed a lot of silent gestures of gratitude , if not individually, toward his fans who came to see him from Japan. I couldn’t see any sign of arrogance like ‘Yes, I am a star and you better like me!’I could feel that he earnestly felt thankful for them and treasure them. Maybe this is why his fans get to deeply love the person BYJ after they fall for him with Joonsang’s image in the drama.

Another thing is that he was really attractive. I had known that he enjoyed taking pictures but between shooting he would take pictures. He emanated the natural attractiveness that comes from someone who has a good healthy hobbies.

He also had his English teacher ready at his side and studied English whenever he could find time, which especially impressed me. According to my interview(?) with his English teacher Bryan, he was a student with an excellent aptitude for language study. I was also told that he studied English very hard. I felt very happy imagining a scene where he was charming reporters from all over the world with his fluent English at the press conference of the Cannes movie festival.

I heard that Um Jiwon, who went to Cannes for the movie ‘Kukjangjun, did interviews with reporters in English. She looked smart even before the event, but I was still impressed with her. Anyway I was certain that BYJ is someone who always works hard.

Also he was surprisingly humorous. Our group of reporters had dinner with him. I sat across from him so I could hear him talking with other reporters and also talked with him a couple of times. The atmosphere was very amicable and he confessed that he was having hard time with acting. He cheerfully enjoyed the conversation throughout and often entertained others by telling funny stories.

There was a person who asked for his autograph even during the meal (it was the owner of the sashimi restaurant. After he told us that the dinner was on him he immediately came to ask for the autograph. Well his behavior was understandable since he did business to make money, but considering we were in the middle of dining at that time his request seemed a little too much). Naturally signing autographs became the topic of the conversation, and he said,“I found that movie reporters didn’t ask for autographs unlike others..” So we replied that although we too had hard time with requests from others for BYJ’s autographs we tried to resist, to which he said, “Um..please tell me if you really need it.”So we all laughed.

We had a great time with him at the Samchuk movie set and Sohn Yejin was very pretty.

To me it was obvious that she was getting prettier and she looked more and more like an actor.

I hope I will meet Yonsama BYJ again at the studio or other movie set some day and he will stay for a long time as our star and an actor.

img0000009025.jpg

BYJ smiling at his Japanese fans at the window of the cafe where he was shooting.

img0000009026.jpg

BYJ said he worriedly had been taking too many photos without thinking since he switched to a digital camera. Someone told me to wave at his camera but I unintentionally clicked the shutter

img0000009027.jpg

BYJ shooting at the shore in Samchuk. They filmed till dark and I heard an unfortunate rumour that they would have to shoot again the same scene the next day. I wonder how it went..