[Drama 2014] Fated To Love You, 운명처럼 널 사랑해

Go Seung Ji

Guest lovelyjen

I'm not even ashamed to admit it, this drama is the drama that made me cry the most out of all of the dramas I have seen especially since my favorite genre of drama is melo. I felt the emotions so much that I couldn't help but cry. I don't think I'll ever cry this much over a drama again.
The original fated to love you did make me cry, don't get me wrong, but the crying I did in this one was on another level.

Guest pinkbunny2014

Correct me if I saw it wrong - I thought I saw LG appa put his cuff links into the wooden box, is that why LG wanted to find it? LG did pick up the cuff links - perhaps he wanted to wear it during his wedding day? I watched the raw and now I have to watch it again with subs. This episode is very different but I absolutely love it. K-drama typically waits until the LAST seconds to give us a happy ending and I really appreciate writers of this show did it differently. It is refreshing to see how LG and MY fight for their happiness after confessing their love in episode 18. They are honest with each other, and never lose hope in their future. I absolutely believe this is what love is. There is no need for neither of them to second guess each other's feelings or avoid challenges. 
I have to say FTLY is one of the best Kdrama ever made - not just the casts (I mean JH is delicious and JNR is adorb to the max =P~ ), but the messages about how true love perseveres and triumphs all hardships are well portrayed. 

Loved your thoughts and insights!. 

FTLY was my first discovering of the JJangs and especially Jang Hyuk sshi. He left a deep impression on me. Thanks to your sharing about Jang Hyuk's tidbits, about his married life, how he met his wife, the sons they have and the wish to have a girl...All of this give me butterfly feelings about this man in real life, how is it that this smouldering, handsome, larger-than-life actor be so ordinary?. Perhaps, his beliefs in love and marriage somewhat parallel to what you said, that his wife "is this gem, happiness, everything that he is so grateful to have her by his side, and he keeps telling her that. Thank you for waiting for me, thank you for having a courage to come to me even when I was pushing you away, thank you for being by my side, thank you for walking together with me". 
That was just my impression about him. If it is true, it would truly makes him extraordinary man!

This makes me wanna share another tid bit of JH...

what made me hooked for JH was actually his love letter to another woman, none other than his wife. When he was sending a video message to his wife...argh...

"When I wake up in the morning and see you and our two sons sleeping in bed, I feel the warmth. I know I can do whatever I am doing because you are there. I am sorry that I am not there with you (because of filming) when you are taking care of kids. I need to go out of country again for a while...this debt of not being with you when you need me, I will repay over the rest of my life living with you. Thank you, I love you."

Specific wordings may be different but jeez he said that staring straight at the camera and i was having difficulty breathing...and i was like, is this man even real?? Can we clone him plz for the benefit of human race??

And in this rate this post is gonna be OT ehem...let me talk about our Gunnie. I THINK HE IS AN ANGEL. The way he smiled and whispered thank you, upon MY mom finally saying yes....it must have been a hurting experience for him too, being rejected exactly becuz of the thing he himself feels insecure about. But he never even complained, and was genuinely grateful that she finally accepted.....i remember commenting that they had the most mature break up conversation in ep12. Now i will say, they have the most mature wedding preparation ever in kdrama history, with everyone involved reaching full understanding for the situation

Dunno if anyone brought it here, but....Jang Hyuk said his goodbye to the drama. (I knowwwwwwww we don't want to say good byeeeeeeeee)

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=106&oid=215&aid=0000163585

Jang Hyuk, ending remarks of 'Fated to Love You'..."The show that allowed me to throw in everything"

"I feel a mixed emotion of happiness and sadness that the drama is over. In fact, I feel more sad than happy, thinking 'when will I meet again this kind of drama, director, and fellow actors'..."
"Reunion after a long time with my partner was joyful. We had such great communication and synergy, I will remember it for a long time. And the director who allowed me to put down everything and film, he made the filming very interesting and enjoyable."
"Regardless of the ratings, many audience have sympathized, loved and supported us and I am very grateful of it. We will try to make a joyful drama until the very end. Thank you."

Thank you so much for this @gumi. It warms my heart yet brought a pang of sadness to see him saying goodbye. N the words he used. It's like just my same sentiments. "Don't know if will meet such a drama again."

Seeing him thank his reunion partner n the director. Is so so so touching. He really cherish them.

Don't thank us jang hyuk ssi. We Thank You! For giving us more than what we can ever imagine. Ratings be damned!! And same to you, jang nara ssi, thank you! And to directors, writers and whole production crew, really thank you very much!!!!!!

Guest beabloom88

This makes me wanna share another tid bit of JH...

what made me hooked for JH was actually his love letter to another woman, none other than his wife. When he was sending a video message to his wife...argh...

"When I wake up in the morning and see you and our two sons sleeping in bed, I feel the warmth. I know I can do whatever I am doing because you are there. I am sorry that I am not there with you (because of filming) when you are taking care of kids. I need to go out of country again for a while...this debt of not being with you when you need me, I will repay over the rest of my life living with you. Thank you, I love you."

Specific wordings may be different but jeez he said that staring straight at the camera and i was having difficulty breathing...and i was like, is this man even real?? Can we clone him plz for the benefit of human race??

And in this rate this post is gonna be OT ehem...let me talk about our Gunnie. I THINK HE IS AN ANGEL. The way he smiled and whispered thank you, upon MY mom finally saying yes....it must have been a hurting experience for him too, being rejected exactly becuz of the thing he himself feels insecure about. But he never even complained, and was genuinely grateful that she finally accepted.....i remember commenting that they had the most mature break up conversation in ep12. Now i will say, they have the most mature wedding preparation ever in kdrama history, with everyone involved reaching full understanding for the situation

Thank you for this @gumi. You are heaven sent. Makes me love JH even more!!! What a gem!!!

There was this BEAUTIFUL review by a fan named M in FTLY DC gallery, and I really wanted to share it. It's a little long, but I think it's worth reading.

It did end with comic "Jang Na Ra!", but Gunnie's dream was actually not all that comic--'amnesia'.

He is spending some happy time with MY right now, but he is not dreaming some lovey dovey moments nor R-rated, but he dreams of amnesia. One of his most traumatic experience. 

For 3 years he slept crouching on one corner of the bed, probably not having a single night with good deep sleep

he finally is able to sleep happily by MY side and yet he has a 'nightmare'.

Dreams tend to show what is usually on our mind. Some psychologists like Freud claimed that dreams were manifestation of unconsciousness.

I think the dream showed Gun's unconscious insecurity. He did have the courage to be together with MY, but he is still scared and nervous about death, about the fact that he might forget his love at any time and might have to leave the loved one.

The reason why Gun was rushing a little was probably because of his own insecurity.

Confronting Ssambap lady who was treating him like 'a guy who could pass away at any moment', Gun was actually seeing himself like that as well.

After reading Father's diary for the first time, Gun says he never wants to spend a day apart with MY again. In front of Chairman Wang, he says he will 'immediately' start living with MY.

He doesn't want to waste any time. He really doesn't know what will happen in the next moment. Worst case scenario, he will start to show the symptoms and will die, so how can he not cherish every minute, every second?

Today's episode spent a lot of time showing Gun trying to get permission from MY's mom. I think that shows how insecure Gun feels at the moment.

He needs to get the permission, needs to get married, needs to do everything quickly, before his time runs out.

His brain is telling him that there will be no regrets, staying with the loved one until the last moment,

but his heart is still vulnerable. The happier he gets, the more nervous he gets.

It is said that humans are the most insecure when they are the happiest. Sweetest happiness always carries shadows of insecurity.

He must be feeling like he is walking the clouds. The higher he gets, more elated he feels, but if he falls that gets more fatal.

No one can assure him how long this happiness would last, and Gun was still carrying the insecurity that this happiness might break at any moment.

Insecurity comes from the fact that a person cannot foresee his own future.

Gun is nervous that he might have the terrible experience of forgetting his loved one again, and he is scared that he might die.

His father was scared for the same reason, so he decided to leave his loved wife and son, and hide his sickness.

But the future does not always come in the form we imagine and anticipate.

Gun's father, in the end, died of a sudden 'car accident' not the 'genetic disease' he feared so much.

Isn't that life? The moment he decides to go back to his family, his life ends. What a fate.

Thus, it probably is not the solution to fear the unknown future. Maybe Gun was more correct in deciding to go through it, holding on to the loved one's hand.

Human life is mortal anyway, and everyone experience death once.

When would that death be, and for what reason, no one can be sure.

The fact that there's a high 'probability' for the disease doesn't imply 'he will die of the disease'. That was the case for Gun's father.

So Gun goes looking for the tree.

Until he found out about Father's real emotions, Gun probably locked up his childhood memories with Father.

He thought Father cheated on Mom, thought he abandoned both Mom and himself. The hatred tarnished even the good memories.

But Gun realizes that Father made the decision same as his 3 years past self, and today he realized that Father actually regretted that decision.

So he decides to be a little more courageous. The moment Gun must have been curious at some point in the past but tried to ignore...his father's last moment. Gun asks Yong's mom about his father's last moment, he remembers the happy childhood memories with Father, and opens the time capsule he buried with his father.

It may not be directly confronting death yet, but I believe that itself was already Gun's courage.

Reconstructing the memories of his father, who he blamed and hated for entire life. The process of regaining the memories that he locked up. The process ofactively finding that memories.

One of the symptoms of the disease, the symptom that Gun experienced and thus decided to send MY again was 'loss' of memories.

And what Gun is now doing, bringing up courage to confront his given fate, is 'regain' of memories.

Gunnie, right now, is directly confronting the disease that is shackling him. He is throwing in his whole self to stand against the insecurity.

With the father's episode, which didn't include a lot of plot twist, and to be honest was a little boring, Gunnie's facial expression changes like this.

Holding MY's hand and running, he smiles as if he is a bit more free from fear and insecurity.

Perhaps Gun will be the first son in Lee clan to win against the hereditary disease.

Who knows. Among Gun's ancestors, there must have been many who actually died of the disease, but there may have been cases, such as Gun or Gun's father, where the 'fear' of the disease exacerbated situation and caused tragedy.

There's this famous story. A person froze to death in ice storage overnight, but when people came and checked the next day, the freezer was broken and temperature was normal. But the person's death cause was actually hypothermia.

Maybe what really deteriorates a person is not an incurable disease or fate, it may be a person's own fear.

So Gun who is overcoming the insecurity and taking a step forward for a life without regret, he rightly deserves a happy ending.

Happiness is not a random gift from someone, it is something people earn and win.

Insecurity,

its another name is,

preparation for the new fate. 

It's really insightful and beautifully written, I'm afraid some of the beauty is lost in translation...

But really after reading this (before reading this, too, I felt it...this just articulated it a little more) I really don't think HD or amnesia was just a 'k drama cliche' which incompetent writers had to resort to in order to move the story plot ahead. It wasn't just a tool to simply re-set the relationship and divorce them and make them fall in love again 3 years after, just to follow the original...I really do think the disease was used for the real message the writers wanted to send, about confronting fear and pursuing happiness.

gumi

said: This makes me wanna share another tid bit of JH... what made me hooked for JH was actually his love letter to another woman, none other than his wife. When he was sending a video message to his wife...argh... "When I wake up in the morning and see you and our two sons sleeping in bed, I feel the warmth. I know I can do whatever I am doing because you are there. I am sorry that I am not there with you (because of filming) when you are taking care of kids. I need to go out of country again for a while...this debt of not being with you when you need me, I will repay over the rest of my life living with you. Thank you, I love you." Specific wordings may be different but jeez he said that staring straight at the camera and i was having difficulty breathing...and i was like, is this man even real?? Can we clone him plz for the benefit of human race?? And in this rate this post is gonna be OT ehem...let me talk about our Gunnie. I THINK HE IS AN ANGEL. The way he smiled and whispered thank you, upon MY mom finally saying yes....it must have been a hurting experience for him too, being rejected exactly becuz of the thing he himself feels insecure about. But he never even complained, and was genuinely grateful that she finally accepted.....i remember commenting that they had the most mature break up conversation in ep12. Now i will say, they have the most mature wedding preparation ever in kdrama history, with everyone involved reaching full understanding for the situation

The engsub still not ready in subscene :(

But fortunatelly I can understand what are they saying. You know why?? Because I've read the live recap last night :P

Thank you for all our recappers. You are greateu...greateu....greateu tuing tuing........ :D

Ah.... so many cute's words that I've collected from uri Gun.

Dunno if anyone brought it here, but....Jang Hyuk said his goodbye to the drama. (I knowwwwwwww we don't want to say good byeeeeeeeee)

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=106&oid=215&aid=0000163585

Jang Hyuk, ending remarks of 'Fated to Love You'..."The show that allowed me to throw in everything"

"I feel a mixed emotion of happiness and sadness that the drama is over. In fact, I feel more sad than happy, thinking 'when will I meet again this kind of drama, director, and fellow actors'..."
"Reunion after a long time with my partner was joyful. We had such great communication and synergy, I will remember it for a long time. And the director who allowed me to put down everything and film, he made the filming very interesting and enjoyable."
"Regardless of the ratings, many audience have sympathized, loved and supported us and I am very grateful of it. We will try to make a joyful drama until the very end. Thank you."

I just had to quote everything. *heart*

And this is when I become saddest. What a precious character Lee Gun is, for whom he wouldn't be life without Jang Hyuk. I'm truly thankful to this team for the conception of the remake and am relieved for the casting. JH is right about this special work. For us too: very rarely will we get to see this kind of drama with this cast and production team. AND, to be able to share/laugh/cry/comfort/celebrate with a kind group like this. Definitely, the beings that are Lee Gun/Kim Miyoung and Jang&Jang make it possible. I will miss and cherish this whole production and these three months very, very much. Thank you all for being here!!

Thank you @gumi. :x

There was this BEAUTIFUL review by a fan named M in FTLY DC gallery, and I really wanted to share it. It's a little long, but I think it's worth reading.

It did end with comic "Jang Na Ra!", but Gunnie's dream was actually not all that comic--'amnesia'.

He is spending some happy time with MY right now, but he is not dreaming some lovey dovey moments nor R-rated, but he dreams of amnesia. One of his most traumatic experience. 

For 3 years he slept crouching on one corner of the bed, probably not having a single night with good deep sleep

he finally is able to sleep happily by MY side and yet he has a 'nightmare'.

Dreams tend to show what is usually on our mind. Some psychologists like Freud claimed that dreams were manifestation of unconsciousness.

I think the dream showed Gun's unconscious insecurity. He did have the courage to be together with MY, but he is still scared and nervous about death, about the fact that he might forget his love at any time and might have to leave the loved one.

The reason why Gun was rushing a little was probably because of his own insecurity.

Confronting Ssambap lady who was treating him like 'a guy who could pass away at any moment', Gun was actually seeing himself like that as well.

After reading Father's diary for the first time, Gun says he never wants to spend a day apart with MY again. In front of Chairman Wang, he says he will 'immediately' start living with MY.

He doesn't want to waste any time. He really doesn't know what will happen in the next moment. Worst case scenario, he will start to show the symptoms and will die, so how can he not cherish every minute, every second?

Today's episode spent a lot of time showing Gun trying to get permission from MY's mom. I think that shows how insecure Gun feels at the moment.

He needs to get the permission, needs to get married, needs to do everything quickly, before his time runs out.

His brain is telling him that there will be no regrets, staying with the loved one until the last moment,

but his heart is still vulnerable. The happier he gets, the more nervous he gets.

It is said that humans are the most insecure when they are the happiest. Sweetest happiness always carries shadows of insecurity.

He must be feeling like he is walking the clouds. The higher he gets, more elated he feels, but if he falls that gets more fatal.

No one can assure him how long this happiness would last, and Gun was still carrying the insecurity that this happiness might break at any moment.

Insecurity comes from the fact that a person cannot foresee his own future.

Gun is nervous that he might have the terrible experience of forgetting his loved one again, and he is scared that he might die.

His father was scared for the same reason, so he decided to leave his loved wife and son, and hide his sickness.

But the future does not always come in the form we imagine and anticipate.

Gun's father, in the end, died of a sudden 'car accident' not the 'genetic disease' he feared so much.

Isn't that life? The moment he decides to go back to his family, his life ends. What a fate.

Thus, it probably is not the solution to fear the unknown future. Maybe Gun was more correct in deciding to go through it, holding on to the loved one's hand.

Human life is mortal anyway, and everyone experience death once.

When would that death be, and for what reason, no one can be sure.

The fact that there's a high 'probability' for the disease doesn't imply 'he will die of the disease'. That was the case for Gun's father.

So Gun goes looking for the tree.

Until he found out about Father's real emotions, Gun probably locked up his childhood memories with Father.

He thought Father cheated on Mom, thought he abandoned both Mom and himself. The hatred tarnished even the good memories.

But Gun realizes that Father made the decision same as his 3 years past self, and today he realized that Father actually regretted that decision.

So he decides to be a little more courageous. The moment Gun must have been curious at some point in the past but tried to ignore...his father's last moment. Gun asks Yong's mom about his father's last moment, he remembers the happy childhood memories with Father, and opens the time capsule he buried with his father.

It may not be directly confronting death yet, but I believe that itself was already Gun's courage.

Reconstructing the memories of his father, who he blamed and hated for entire life. The process of regaining the memories that he locked up. The process ofactively finding that memories.

One of the symptoms of the disease, the symptom that Gun experienced and thus decided to send MY again was 'loss' of memories.

And what Gun is now doing, bringing up courage to confront his given fate, is 'regain' of memories.

Gunnie, right now, is directly confronting the disease that is shackling him. He is throwing in his whole self to stand against the insecurity.

With the father's episode, which didn't include a lot of plot twist, and to be honest was a little boring, Gunnie's facial expression changes like this.

Holding MY's hand and running, he smiles as if he is a bit more free from fear and insecurity.

Perhaps Gun will be the first son in Lee clan to win against the hereditary disease.

Who knows. Among Gun's ancestors, there must have been many who actually died of the disease, but there may have been cases, such as Gun or Gun's father, where the 'fear' of the disease exacerbated situation and caused tragedy.

There's this famous story. A person froze to death in ice storage overnight, but when people came and checked the next day, the freezer was broken and temperature was normal. But the person's death cause was actually hypothermia.

Maybe what really deteriorates a person is not an incurable disease or fate, it may be a person's own fear.

So Gun who is overcoming the insecurity and taking a step forward for a life without regret, he rightly deserves a happy ending.

Happiness is not a random gift from someone, it is something people earn and win.

Insecurity,

its another name is,

preparation for the new fate. 

It's really insightful and beautifully written, I'm afraid some of the beauty is lost in translation...

But really after reading this (before reading this, too, I felt it...this just articulated it a little more) I really don't think HD or amnesia was just a 'k drama cliche' which incompetent writers had to resort to in order to move the story plot ahead. It wasn't just a tool to simply re-set the relationship and divorce them and make them fall in love again 3 years after, just to follow the original...I really do think the disease was used for the real message the writers wanted to send, about confronting fear and pursuing happiness.

Your words comforting me so much. Thanks @gumi .

you've saved my life again :))

Daniel dedicated a song for Ellie (heartbreaking) and told Ellie that she can always call her neighborhood oppa anytime she needs him.
Sometimes in a drama, to have 2 good looking, equally nice man, your heart gets confused who to root for; but obviously Gun is in Ellie's heart.  Daniel is in my heart too, so you can have me anytime.  =((
The mother finally consented to Gun's and Ellie's marriage. =D> but was a no show in the wedding.
I like this version more than the Taiwanese version simply because I am madly in luv with Daniel and Gun. :\">
btw, Sera told Daniel that she thinks she is the girl in that picture, but she does not know why she is in the picture.

Guest TranN1430294398

Hi everyone, I like many of the posts I have seen am someone who usually just look at soompi and read the discussion but i love this drama and had to comment. I have to admit after watching korean dramas for 12 years now, this one has to be one of my favorite. I'm going to be sad like everyone when tomorrow comes. Some things I noticed from ep 19: -When MY said bread making was "fun" Gun said "there are many more enjoyable things over there" looking in the direction of the bed... Hahaha does that support our theory that rice pounding has happened? -also MY wore pants for the first time when she saw Daniel. She has been dressed in skirts and dresses this entire series Also I have seen the TW version and I appreciate that the writers for this version put Sera out of the picture once and for all which shows that Gun has already loved MY a lot. Didn't like the part of TW version where Cun Xi(Gun) and Anna (Sera) were engaged even after Cun Xi and Xin Yi(MY) were separated for a few years.