[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

dualnon said: gretac said: It really bothered me that HW didn't go in to see SJ at his mother's memorial.
Really? Because it hurt her too much??
I'm not sure whether to take that at face value or not. It seems so wimpy, and inconsiderate of SJ.
Of course, I know she's not used to dealing with genuine feelings - I think that's why she gets so derailed by hearing I'mAGenius's confessions - but, still. She was railing at him for being a "coward" to not show up for the enrollment audition, and she can't even go offer her condolences?
Imagine how much better he might have coped if his Muse had offered her support at that time.
But then, we might not have had our story.
But still. Really??

Couple of random thoughts on Ep. 3 & 4.  I thought this was HW at her finest 4-star general moment, as she visited SJ in jail, didn't make her presence known, but thought out how to get him out of there and pacify Kang at the same time..and like @mdj101 said, Kang was so pleased with himself..you know he can only think of how he will benefit from having SJ as his student.  As a viewer, if you didn't despise this character before this, this would have been a good starting point.
The ick factor of HW passing some cash to the server (soup ahjumma?) at the restaurant to set something up with the Chairman. I didn't understand that the first time around, nor did I get the whole HW/YW club scene on the first watch either.  Really a shame the writer did not flesh out the YW character more than in the earlier episodes.  She could have really provided another level of angst and drama-rama for HW, or she could have changed and left her messy life of buying boy-toys and been a help to HW.  P.S.  YW's children are mentioned here...who is taking care of them?  Not their mom & dad...and they are not in Korea, they are in another country from what I could understand, maybe Germany? 

Summary:

Secret Love Affair live chat August 24, 2014:

Soompi SLA thread pages 661 – 663

Gong to begin

Lee Seun Jae's User ID NaCheonjae (“I'm a Genius”) as a play on his name; maybe that inspired YAI's play on NaCheonJae's name to “I'm an angel”

Where the “Book” OST music occurs in the drama so far – first time is when SJ is explaining why HW is really his teacher; also when receiving the Richter book; and bike ride after the Madhouse. Discussion of what “Book” symbolizes: intimacy, love theme of SJ and HW, is there always a distance, connection that closes a distance, the Book of their Love, communication at their farthest apart.

HW is mean to SJ as his teacher. Not smart if she needs him to stick around. Cultural? Worse after Makgui Hyung learns of SJ's feelings for HW. Is she a 13-y-o when it comes to love? Sets in motion chain of events leading to mother's death. She's battling her own 'indecent selfish & distracting thoughts'

SJ's ability to hold firm for what he wants

OST “Four Hands” - is that their love theme? - variable: first time during SJ's victory run after playing for and with HW, then occurs at mum's funeral, and when HW is learning and figuring out about SJ in jail

HW seeing SJ as “asset and justification” when he misses the enrollment, to more pure value as person, musician, student when she sends the Richter book

Other OST placement and possible meaning: Chatting I and II; Affair

Pieces with echoes of Four Hands: Chatting II, Affair

HW really loves @ktomato!

SJ exempt from military by virtue of enrollment, scholarship, and funding acc. to Kang; is that legal, or part of the corruption? discussion of exemptions

HW really DOES love @ktomato!

HW's “how is he a man” possibly reflecting cultural norm of not being a man until through military service

relevance of first Cello Girl scene to introducing more of SeoHan's and Kims' corruption and setting up SJ's joining the outcasts and eventually leaving. HW doesn't stoop to the instrument kick-back scheme

HW didn't go in to see SJ personally at his mother's funeral – what's up with that?

Awesome acting by YAI and KHA

understanding the musical selections, placement, and meanings may be significant to different people's varied responses to the drama – from just pretty background, to making the whole show like a ballet

translations of the bts script and blogs, awards, etc. have been critical to our understanding the show

hooray for the blog!

Viki subs continue to be improved

Parodies: to see or not to see, that is the question...

HW's character changes with who she's in relation with; she is smart, competent, pitiful, nice, good-humored, opportunistic, mean

The Gong!

SJ went over the edge with the very behavior that had last humiliated him – yelling, posture correction – but that was also his last student-teacher new world encounter.

Kang so pleased to get SJ out of jail without realizing it was all HW's set up

HW's affirmation of SJ as musician began in her role as Makqui Hyung

SJ's loss of hope: “If one gets too humiliated, annoyed, and angry, his heart can just stop. I’m just going to go to prison...”

HW's 4-star moment to figure out how to get SJ out of jail and appease Kang at the same time.

The 'ick' factor of HW's pimping for Chairman Seo

More of YW – she could have amped up to give more conflict, more support, or continuing honesty (as mentioned last chat); and what's going on with her children?

Guest dualnon

If I told you I fell for a woman’s feet, is that strange?  Has that ever happened to you Hyung? What’s your point?  Is it that woman’s foot?

That’s not it.

Than what?

The scent of a woman.  I’m just about to fall over.

ep03quotescent03.png

SJ is so innocent and funny in his sexual awakening and HW is so innocent and funny as the object of that awakening.

dualnon said: gretac said: It really bothered me that HW didn't go in to see SJ at his mother's memorial.
Really? Because it hurt her too much??
I'm not sure whether to take that at face value or not. It seems so wimpy, and inconsiderate of SJ.
Of course, I know she's not used to dealing with genuine feelings - I think that's why she gets so derailed by hearing I'mAGenius's confessions - but, still. She was railing at him for being a "coward" to not show up for the enrollment audition, and she can't even go offer her condolences?
Imagine how much better he might have coped if his Muse had offered her support at that time.
But then, we might not have had our story.
But still. Really??

Guest dualnon

I've been working on another project using screencaps and get to see some of the iconic scenes frame by frame.  I was looking at the punishment kiss and man KHA and YAI are good actors.  I'm watching a drama now and I don't know how long I'll last becasue the writing is awful, the directing is awful, the acting is awful (but for the one actor I'm watching it for).  I'm not asking that every drama rise to the level of SLA, but can they at least be cringe free?

Guest dualnon

Is anyone else's Off Topic, Report, Quote, Awesome , etc out of whack?  I have two Awesomes and my Report is next to my LOL

“I feel like a 100 years have passed, you’ve cross a big river ocean…” and you’re finally here…

So I was finally done with my final assignment for this semester and wanted to spend some time with my piano. The doorbell rang just as I was about to start. My eyes lit up immediately as I thought ‘It might be the Faith Quick deliveryman!’ I ran towards the door and clumsily bumped into some furniture in the process. To my disappointment, it was not THE Faith Quick deliveryman but an ahjussi with a package in his hands. ‘Aw man, I won’t get the see THAT dirty look if I refuse to sign to acknowledge paper!’

I wasted no time in the unboxing of the package and inserted the disk into my laptop once I got it out of the case. I settled down comfortably into my bed under the blankets as I started flipping through the mini photo book that came along with the disk. A familiar piece of music started to fill my room as I went through the beautiful photos. Wait… isn’t this…The Book? the music that’s heard during SeonHye moments? I experienced an adrenalin rush as I recounted that this scene was similar to the scene where SJ was flipping through the Notebooks and Conversations book HW sent him. Omo what’s going on? Why even I get to have background music?? Am I in filming something right now??? I started looking around my room frantically to spot the possible hidden cameras that may be used for some filming that is possibly going on. Again to my disappointment, I realized where the music was coming from as I turned towards the direction of my laptop. OH........

… …

Okay, I swear only about 10% of the above really did happen this afternoon, just happened to think of those additional stuffs as I sat down to type this post. But yes the point is….

:D :D :DMY OST IS FINALLY HERE!!! :D :D :D

I was really excited to look at the photos they included as well as to listen to the full tracks! However, I got quite distracted as I unboxed the package because of the Korean newspapers used to cushion the CD. I don’t know why but I’ve always been fascinated with foreign newspapers and I would collect them whenever I travel so I got really distracted by the Joseon comic and the two-page mini hanja printed on the newspapers and it took me quite some time before I got back to the OST (oops).

I was melting when I listened to the more touching tracks as they reminded me of various scenes. It would be nice to shift HW’s expensive speakers up to her bedroom and listen to the OSTs while curling up in her corner with a glass of Don Perignon… I really liked the fact that the photos were included and they were chose accordingly to the tracks although I think it’ll be nice if they added more SeonHye scenes.

Didn't expect this post to be this long but just want to share two photos and end off this lengthy post! One photo of the ost (check out the comic at the back!) plus another photo of my favorite photo in the mini photo book. please pardon me for the poor angles and lightings and stuff...

20140828_164527_zpse29891c8.jpg

20140828_222521_zps160991a3.jpg

edit: sorry for the large images as I have no idea how to resize them!

Guest dualnon

galpianist said:

“I feel like a 100 years have passed, you’ve cross a big river ocean…” and you’re finally here…

So I was finally done with my final assignment for this semester and wanted to spend some time with my piano. The doorbell rang just as I was about to start. My eyes lit up immediately as I thought ‘It might be the Faith Quick deliveryman!’ I ran towards the door and clumsily bumped into some furniture in the process. To my disappointment, it was not THE Faith Quick deliveryman but an ahjussi with a package in his hands. ‘Aw man, I won’t get the see THAT dirty look if I refuse to sign to acknowledge paper!’

I wasted no time in the unboxing of the package and inserted the disk into my laptop once I got it out of the case. I settled down comfortably into my bed under the blankets as I started flipping through the mini photo book that came along with the disk. A familiar piece of music started to fill my room as I went through the beautiful photos. Wait… isn’t this…The Book? the music that’s heard during SeonHye moments? I experienced an adrenalin rush as I recounted that this scene was similar to the scene where SJ was flipping through the Notebooks and Conversations book HW sent him. Omo what’s going on? Why even I get to have background music?? Am I in filming something right now??? I started looking around my room frantically to spot the possible hidden cameras that may be used for some filming that is possibly going on. Again to my disappointment, I realized where the music was coming from as I turned towards the direction of my laptop. OH........

… …

Okay, I swear only about 10% of the above really did happen this afternoon, just happened to think of those additional stuffs as I sat down to type this post. But yes the point is….

I was really excited to look at the photos they included as well as to listen to the full tracks! However, I got quite distracted as I unboxed the package because of the Korean newspapers used to cushion the CD. I don’t know why but I’ve always been fascinated with foreign newspapers and I would collect them whenever I travel so I got really distracted by the Joseon comic and the two-page mini hanja printed on the newspapers and it took me quite some time before I got back to the OST (oops).

I was melting when I listened to the more touching tracks as they reminded me of various scenes. It would be nice to shift HW’s expensive speakers up to her bedroom and listen to the OSTs while curling up in her corner with a glass of Don Perignon… I really liked the fact that the photos were included and they were chose accordingly to the tracks although I think it’ll be nice if they added more SeonHye scenes.

Didn't expect this post to be this long but just want to share two photos and end off this lengthy post! One photo of the ost (check out the comic at the back!) plus another photo of my favorite photo in the mini photo book. please pardon me for the poor angles and lightings and stuff...

Good news, I am back in urbanization with good internet access. I have been traveling in some remote places in Canada. Went through four seasons in 2 weeks! Bad news, I will not be home until the end of tomorrow. I actually showed up at the airport this morning and found out I had the wrong day of departure!. Just had to go back to our office in the city I am in. Everyone here knows I am anxious to get home. I don't think I can catch up on all the Soompi thread on the rewatch - I have not seen my family in two weeks - but I will just jump in with EP 5 and EP 6 on Sunday. And I will look over the Script for the two episodes and report on anything significant. Probably. Not until Saturday evening. Missed you guys !!!

dualnon said: galpianist said:

… …