[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

What a drama this is turning out to me! I've watched through it pretty quickly, but now I want to go back to the beginning and savor each episode and pick out the little details. Also, I'm so glad that there's a jukebox for this drama because all of the amazing music and composers featured shouldn't be missed! A lot of times understanding the history and composers of the pieces being featured actually gives us a lot of clues about what is to come, I think.
t9b62q.jpg 29gh3js.jpg
Brahms and Clara around the time they met (1853)
Watching this drama reminds me so much of the real-life story between Clara Schumann, Johannes Brahms, and Robert Schumann. I know that the writer, Jung Sung Joo was planning on writing a drama called 클라라 (Clara) and it makes me wonder if she updated the story into Secret Love Affair, because the plot is remarkably like what really happened (at least so far). Clara Schumann is my idol, so this hits a rather soft spot for me. 
Clara Wieck was one of the most famous pianists of her day. Her father, Frederick Wieck, was a piano teacher and from birth, she was trained to become the foremost piano prodigy. It was said that her mother tongue was the piano. Her father had another student named Robert Schumann, who was studying to become a lawyer, but he was so struck by Clara's playing that he quit his law studies to practice the piano. He later damaged his hand on a contraption to help his fingers and ended up not being able to play the piano anymore, but he was a genius composer. He grew up with little Clara (they were 9 years apart). The two eventually fell in love and wanted to marry, but her father opposed the match since Robert was neither rich nor famous enough.
The two ended up eloping and marrying in secret. After marrying Robert Schumann, Clara gave up a lot of her career for him. She stayed at home and managed the household while still continuing to perform, but not on a grand of a scale as before. She wanted to return to the stage and travel but he wanted a traditional wife to settle down with. Clara was a champion of many of Schumann's compositions though, and is responsible for promoting and bringing them to light.
Here's where it gets interesting: Schumann wrote regularly for a musical journal, and it was through this that he discovered the enormous talent of a young composer Johannes Brahms (who was 14 years younger than Clara Schumann). Brahms had been raised in a very poor family and spent much of his life playing piano in bars and such. Schumann recognized his talent and praised his works. Brahms grew very close with the Schumanns (I have the impression that he even stayed with them, but that might have been in a book I read ages ago), and developed a very close relationship with Clara. Whether they actually had an affair, nobody knows. 
Schumann was diagnosed with schizophrenia and later entered an asylum due to his increasingly suicidal actions. Brahms was a huge support to Clara and her young children, and even more so when Schumann died in 1856, and they remained close friends all their lives. Brahms never married and Clara never remarried. Nobody actually knows whether they were lovers and most of their letters to each other were burned. The ones that were kept and published had presumably been censored by Clara before its publication. Throughout her life, Clara was a champion of both the music of Brahms and Schumann (as well as many other composers, but then I'll be off topic). 
I don't know if anyone else sees the similarity in the story and what really happened, and I don't know if it's meant to give us any clues. I just thought it was so similar it couldn't possibly be a coincidence. 
16jswk.png

Also, the book that Hye Won mailed to Sun Jae is about Sviatoslav Richter, who was one of the most famous pianists in the 20th century. If any of you are on a drama high (like me), I would suggest listening to his rendition of a lot of the pieces featured in this drama. Richter is simply amazing!

Beethoven Appassionata

Chopin Piano Concerto No. 2

Schubert Wanderer Fantasie
  • Like 2

I have compiled a list of sources for recaps/information about SLA (especially useful for those used to depending upon Dramabeans). Feel free to add any I have missed!

SLA links:

http://noonasoverforks.wordpress.com/

Noonas Over Forks are recapping every episode, with analysis and a few gifs. Not many comments because I don’t think too many people know about this one.

http://koalasplayground.com/

Koala’s Playground just started their recap, with Episode One out; lots of gifs, sprightly commentary.

http://noisesfromthecloset.wordpress.com/

Noises From the Closet is up to Episode Three, with Four promised soon. Min is struggling with the concept, but is giving it a try. Detailed recap with a few gifs and a very thoughtful Notes section.

http://ocdramadee.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/review-of-the-21-minute-preview-of-jtbcs-secret-love-affair/

Obsessive/Compulsive did a review of the preview, with lots of squees, links, and other fun stuff in the commentary:

http://ocdramadee.wordpress.com/2014/03/12/secret-love-affair-long-preview/

And here’s another one just for fun, with gifs and a lengthy analysis:

http://fandomscape.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/review-of-the-21-minute-preview-of-jtbcs-secret-love-affair/

http://episodes-outside-seoul.tumblr.com/

Outside Seoul has a tumblr just for up-to-the-minute thoughts about SLA (and other dramas). Click on the Secret Love Affair hashtag for all the SLA goodness.

http://www.dramarecap.com/

Drama recap doesn’t have any drama recaps, but like Dramabeans does have some articles devoted to Yoo Ah In and the production.

• Like 2

atsu-chan

said:

Watching this drama reminds me so much of the real-life story between Clara Schumann, Johannes Brahms, and Robert Schumann. I know that the writer, Jung Sung Joo was planning on writing a drama called 클라라 (Clara) and it makes me wonder if she updated the story into Secret Love Affair, because the plot is remarkably like what really happened (at least so far). Clara Schumann is my idol, so this hits a rather soft spot for me. 
Here's where it gets interesting: Schumann wrote regularly for a musical journal, and it was through this that he discovered the enormous talent of a young composer Johannes Brahms (who was 14 years younger than Clara Schumann). Brahms had been raised in a very poor family and spent much of his life playing piano in bars and such. Schumann recognized his talent and praised his works. Brahms grew very close with the Schumanns (I have the impression that he even stayed with them, but that might have been in a book I read ages ago), and developed a very close relationship with Clara. Whether they actually had an affair, nobody knows. 
Schumann was diagnosed with schizophrenia and later entered an asylum due to his increasingly suicidal actions. Brahms was a huge support to Clara and her young children, and even more so when Schumann died in 1856, and they remained close friends all their lives. Brahms never married and Clara never remarried. Nobody actually knows whether they were lovers and most of their letters to each other were burned. The ones that were kept and published had presumably been censored by Clara before its publication. Throughout her life, Clara was a champion of both the music of Brahms and Schumann (as well as many other composers, but then I'll be off topic). 
I don't know if anyone else sees the similarity in the story and what really happened, and I don't know if it's meant to give us any clues. I just thought it was so similar it couldn't possibly be a coincidence. 

Guest Chemi_Girl

I've read a twitter comment in a korean fanpage of SLA. It says "My teacher said she lived near OHY's house and saw they were filming the scene that OHY rides with LSJ on his bike!

I hope they stop on the bridge for kiss to keep their love forever like Dami says.

Guest uburoi

skelly said:

I have compiled a list of sources for recaps/information about SLA (especially useful for those used to depending upon Dramabeans). Feel free to add any I have missed!

SLA links:

http://noonasoverforks.wordpress.com/

Noonas Over Forks are recapping every episode, with analysis and a few gifs. Not many comments because I don’t think too many people know about this one.

http://koalasplayground.com/

Koala’s Playground just started their recap, with Episode One out; lots of gifs, sprightly commentary.

http://noisesfromthecloset.wordpress.com/

Noises From the Closet is up to Episode Three, with Four promised soon. Min is struggling with the concept, but is giving it a try. Detailed recap with a few gifs and a very thoughtful Notes section.

http://ocdramadee.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/review-of-the-21-minute-preview-of-jtbcs-secret-love-affair/

Obsessive/Compulsive did a review of the preview, with lots of squees, links, and other fun stuff in the commentary:

http://ocdramadee.wordpress.com/2014/03/12/secret-love-affair-long-preview/

And here’s another one just for fun, with gifs and a lengthy analysis:

http://fandomscape.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/review-of-the-21-minute-preview-of-jtbcs-secret-love-affair/

http://episodes-outside-seoul.tumblr.com/

Outside Seoul has a tumblr just for up-to-the-minute thoughts about SLA (and other dramas). Click on the Secret Love Affair hashtag for all the SLA goodness.

http://www.dramarecap.com/

Drama recap doesn’t have any drama recaps, but like Dramabeans does have some articles devoted to Yoo Ah In and the production.

Started watching this drama after getting to know KHA in 'Noonas over flowers'. KHA is such an elegant lady and my curiosity of her brought me to this highly electrifying/ tension storyline between YAI & KHA's character.

Wow! I can somehow really feel the sexual tension and sparks between them. Thumbs up to YAI & KHA for accepting this massive challenges to play these roles. With cable drama, I'm anticipating some intimate scenes between them instead of the normal skinship allowed on the major broadcasting dramas.

Yes, it's a very sinful storyline but I'm already drawn into this couple and can't wait for their union. :\">

• Like 1

Guest Umrn Cbsy

@skelly

thank you for investigating the websites. Even I searched on google, I could not be able to find it :)
@uburoi
I really liket the one that you've recommended. so much fun to read. I will keep an eye on those sites...

Guest Tinkiebell

Hi, sorry if this had been asked (and answered) before, but does anyone know the name of the ending theme music? Thanks in advance. :)

I had my midterms this week so I'm again little late with my thoughts about SLA:tumblr_n2sszqek3Z1s8t96qo2_250.pngtumblr_n2sszqek3Z1s8t96qo1_250.png

This show really knows how to initiate skinship between its OTP! Caught Glued to a mouse trap, LOL! Well, that has to be a first in Kdramaland. I like the little moment when the PD lingers a few seconds on SJ’s shocked, WTF face when KJH’s rather leaves his wife stranded, while saving his own skin from mice, than helping her(it’s sad to see that HW isn’t suprised by her husband’s rudeness at all). I think it’s the first of many occasions this will happen and SJ will slowly realise that HW’s husband doesn’t really appreaciate her or love her the way he should. He might waver to start an illicit affair with her behind the back of the “kind” man who gave him a chance of his life and saved him from prison (which was actually HW’s scheme)but after he learns that KJH’s kindness is only a facade to hide his selfishness and incompetence and that he doesn’t treasure HW, it will be the moment he will stop having regrets and begin a relationship with her. 

tumblr_n2sszqek3Z1s8t96qo3_500.png

And then he actually KNEELS in front of her and encircles her slender ankle with his finger! MY FEELS! His grip looks so gentle but at the same time firm. (Oh, excuse me but my mind is constantly in a gutter whenever I’m thinking of this show.) But it doesn’t end there as SJ literally sweeps her of her feet and carries her bridal-style downstair!

I think that despite his innocence and the occasional immature moments that are inherent to his youth, SJ is, in many ways, wise beyond his years therefore after some neccesary, initial setback, once he decides to fight all the vultures in the school and resolves to fight for himself and his chance to be with the woman he loves they will be in for quite a fight because SJ has learned the hard way. They all want to win but he can’t afford to lose.

tumblr_n2sszqek3Z1s8t96qo8_500.png

SJ learned to provide for himself and his mother and proved himself to be responsible and reliable at a very young age and much more so than HW’s 42 year-old husband who hides behind his wife and her success his whole life (I’m very much looking foward to what man will SJ grow up into). This reliability of his shows again when he stays and helps HW no matter how embarressing and uncomfortable the whole situation is. It shows that if you look deeper, past the bias and prejudices age is really only a number - it doesn’t really matter how old you are but how you go about your life. SJ doesn’t recoil from hard work or easily discouraged by setbacks and that is why he has such a high chance to be a succesful pianist - playing an instument is only partially about your talent but even more about your perserverance, hard work, willingness to make sacrifices, being undaunted by your failures and keep on fighting.

I’m simply in awe of the way each episode keeps slowly building up the tension and attraction between SJ and HW as it feels like an intimate crescendo that will culminate in a dazzling climax. What is not to love about a show that starts with its male lead kneeling at woman’s feet?! It almost appears as if he lays there happily, ready to serve her and fulfill her every wish. Be still my heart!

tumblr_n361ibw3Y61s8t96qo5_500.png

When SJ is ready to clean HW’s feet you can see his genuine worry about HW’s well-being which is something that probably never happened to her with KJH in the 20 years of their marriage. He is so flustered and embarrassed that this elegant distinguished woman has to be stuck in his run-down bathroom. At first glance, she doesn’t belong there, yet, she is still there smiling at him.  Look what pains he takes to arrange her expensive shoes that probably cost more than he earns in months - he even wipes his palms before touching them like he thought himself not worthy to touch it (On other note, someone is developing a feet fetish here) - it’s such a small, simple gesture but reveals so much about his feelings towards her. The undisguised longing in his eyes when he fully registeres her bare, dainty foot, the show of sexual frustration, the sideway, furtive glances…Awwwww

tumblr_n361ibw3Y61s8t96qo3_250.pngtumblr_n361ibw3Y61s8t96qo1_250.pngtumblr_n361ibw3Y61s8t96qo6_250.png

"Why am I your teacher?" - HW

"It’s because…It’s because…When I first met you, Teacher, it was decided that way, by fate." - SJ

• Like 1

Guest Umrn Cbsy

@briseisyou are amazing in analyzing the episodes. I never realized that SJ wiped his palms. I love the way you interpret the 2 episodes. extremely good. I hope to read your live recap in following episodes and also see your comments more :) thanks a lot ;)

Umrn Cbsy said: @briseisyou are amazing in analyzing the episodes. I never realized that SJ wiped his palms. I love the way you interpret the 2 episodes. extremely good. I hope to read your live recap in following episodes and also see your comments more :) thanks a lot ;)