[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Guest avocado1430291863

Well... I try to understand Nyangia strategy....but I just hope she will realize that her goal won't be reached if she doesn't include Paeha in her fight...I think they can get talk heart to heart and compromizing for the sake of Yuan, Goryeo, baby Ayu and off course their love..Paeha can expand Yuan's land to other countries but not Goryeo, while Nyangia will stay beside him and help him ruling the court....

Guest avocado1430291863

Well speaking about the decrease of the rating...it is the same as QSD when MiShil gone.... Korean viewers love ET clans so much...that they don't buy the new evil plot just like the ET's plot... (feels bad for the other casts...which have worked so hard)...
I think the writer want to make Goryeo vs Yuan and make EK and WY as a national hero...off course this is K-drama and we understand that korean have high level of nationality....But I've relieved that they don't make TH's character as a cunning and bad character ( like  I am afraid in the beginning of watching this drama)..hope he will remain be a nice and warm person although his surrounding and the political condition push him to be more cruel..( don't have to mention it again that JCW performance make the writer change the writing of TH character)
But after looking the rating, I think some korean viewers do not prefer the political or heroic stuff, they just want the loving scene from TH-SN (which is very lacking in recent episodes....even the suppose romantic puppet show just ruined becoz SN only and only focus on treasure hunter..sigh...) ...Jebal writer nim, I know that you will be upset if your jobs is disturbed by many asking from the fans of maybe the PD (remember the King of Drama)...but please give us the nice ending....in this moment in time I will sit calm waiting for your revelation....I still believe in you ...EK hwaiting...

Guest minnie0103

Well, the still cuts look hilarious. There can be a "caption these photos" game for those pictures. :)) I don't know why MBC released those still cuts, when they could have done it for more crucial scenes. 
Anyway, I don't think Episode 41 Text Preview has been posted here. Happy Tuesday, everyone! :)http://cheshirecatswonderland.wordpress.com/2014/03/25/empress-ki-episode-41-text-preview/

@pegster - 
One more thing I wanted to check with you (not even sure why O_O) is that no one is aware El Plague and JC are still alive, correct? (besides KiSe) Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anyone seeing them. 
You're right, I know TH doesn't care one hoot about WY. :))  Thanks for the explanations!
@rinchan76 - OMO, seriously? You always give me so much to think about! (it's awesome) You and @pegster both have the ability to point things out that I've either forgotten or haven't thought about at all and it calms me down! (LMAO) It never even crossed my mind that TH might believe Ki considers herself a "Yuan" citizen now! :-O  (what with it constantly being thrown in both of their faces that she and Ayu are Goryeo) It seems very odd to me that TH didn't discuss this Yuan/Goryeo issue with Ki (or visa-versa) especially after the whole scene of Dowager "taking to the mat" to protest against her and Ayu. He did ask her what they could do but the only thing Ki said was to fight it head on.  :-?
I do think that (were Ki to discuss it with him) TH would agree with the plan for her to gain more power (protecting herself and their son) which would place TH in danger if it were discovered he helped find the treasure but turned it over to Ki. But this is exactly what I think will happen - TH will find out and be hurt/angry/disappointed that Ki didn't trust him enough to tell him, because he would have agreed and helped her. 

tessieroo said: @pegster - 
One more thing I wanted to check with you (not even sure why O_O) is that no one is aware El Plague and JC are still alive, correct? (besides KiSe) Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anyone seeing them. 
You're right, I know TH doesn't care one hoot about WY. :))  Thanks for the explanations!
@rinchan76 - OMO, seriously? You always give me so much to think about! (it's awesome) You and @pegster both have the ability to point things out that I've either forgotten or haven't thought about at all and it calms me down! (LMAO) It never even crossed my mind that TH might believe Ki considers herself a "Yuan" citizen now! :-O  (what with it constantly being thrown in both of their faces that she and Ayu are Goryeo) It seems very odd to me that TH didn't discuss this Yuan/Goryeo issue with Ki (or visa-versa) especially after the whole scene of Dowager "taking to the mat" to protest against her and Ayu. He did ask her what they could do but the only thing Ki said was to fight it head on.  :-?
I do think that (were Ki to discuss it with him) TH would agree with the plan for her to gain more power (protecting herself and their son) which would place TH in danger if it were discovered he helped find the treasure but turned it over to Ki. But this is exactly what I think will happen - TH will find out and be hurt/angry/disappointed that Ki didn't trust him enough to tell him, because he would have agreed and helped her. 

AN OPEN LETTER TO MBC

Dear MBC,

I’m one of the international viewers of drama Empress Ki. I’m very fond of your drama until lately when you decide to announce there will be sad ending for one main character. I’ll confess at first I was reluctant to watch 50 eps drama but since you have cast my favorite actor, Ji Chang Wook, I watched it from episode 1 till now. I watched it raw first even when I don’t really understand Korean because I can’t wait the subs. I read the recaps, read the news of the drama, even signed up to MBC account just so I can vote at MBC Drama Awards 2013.

The drama has been filled my life and am addicted to it because of the story and characters.  Since the drama started it has been great help for me to rest from real life problems and also inspire me. I’m now 4th year university student and since October last year, Empress Ki has accompanied my thesis writing. My thesis is due to finished late April, same with Empress Ki ending. That’s why I want to convey my gratitude and support for MBC, the production staffs and casts, especially Ha Ji Won and Ji Chang Wook for producing such quality drama and accompany me during my thesis writing.

I believe other viewers and I also very fond of this drama because the story and characters. But when you announce it will be sad ending, I’m unsettled and worried about the ending. I have watched some good, even great dramas, ruined by endings. I have experienced some sad endings myself and they really affected me. They scarred me from watching dramas because I don’t want to experience sad ending. I know it’s the producers and writers’ decision whether to bring sad ending or happy ending. But I wish every character in Empress Ki will have happy ending. 

I wish you could consider my small wish and thousands of fans of this drama worldwide. I want to remember Empress Ki as one of the greatest dramas with happy ending. I want to remember it because the good story and the amazing casts, like your other period dramas, Dae Jang Geum and Queen Seon Deok.

Sincerely yours,

Kanya

Guest critics

@pegster said @critics:  EB deserves nothing! It wasn't even him who discovered the secret to the song, it was SN, and she didn't even have to keep singing it like him.

Oh dear, well without him singing the entire lyrics of the song, WY won't be able to translate them into text resulting to KG's failure to decipher the context of it.  Maybe it is too generous to award EB with a piece of gold and it's also unfair if he's given counterfeit money as his talent fee, for sure he will burn it.  Okay just a round of applause is enough.  =D>  =D>   If it's lacking, he'll just ask from his talent manager since I don't have neither a gold or a counterfeit money.    $-)  $-)       

I think SN is not looking too much into the future.SN looking for ET's treasure to make herself the empress and gain more power is all fine but her wanting to help strengthen the Goryeo throne can cause problems to Ayu as a Ruler when he grows up. Goryeo being powerful might become a threat to Ayu when he's the emperor.

what does SN want to protect? goryeo? or goryeo's citizens?
SN wanted goryeo to be rid of slavery, why can't she do so by making it a part of yuan. I'm saying this because she wants her son to be the crown prince to yuan. Shouldn't she want to give her son a peaceful and powerful kingdom to rule?
All emperors and kings would want to expand their land, what they do with the conquered kingdoms is what makes them as a good or a bad ruler.

How did goryeo came to be? there were three separate kingdoms fighting. All 3 wanted to have the kingdoms united as one. Eventually one of the kingdoms won(shilla). The shilla kingdom united the three under her rule and became the goryeo kingdom.

TH is doing the same, he wants to expand his kingdom so that yuan will become more powerful. Conquering a land doesn't mean he is going to treat those people badly. This is where SN should help, making the goryeo citizens live a better life. Even if she's from goryeo if she tries to strengthen goryeo as a separate kingdom, it will only create problems for Ayu and the future successors of yuan.
That's what i think.

@cacazeel It's a matter of loyalty and national pride (patriotism). No citizen for their own comfort would willingly surrender and be governed by another more powerful country. That is why people like El Plague (I can't remember this guys name because everyone keeps calling him that) is seen as a traitor.

To put it in perspective, the US is seen as the land of freedom and abundance, should then all the 3rd world country submit to the US and allow them to govern their country so their citizens can have a chance at a better future?

SN's problem in this instance is that Yuan does not view Goryeo as an equal, even for someone in her position, she is seen as a 2nd class citizen as ED and BY has shown her. TH's acceptance of BY's plan to take over Goryeo shows that TH is also of the same view. TH has never seen SN for anything else then who she is, he forgets or just simply never thought of her as a Goryeo citizen, only as his object of affection.

Historically, the Yuan's differentiate between nationality, Yuan's were first class, Han's 2nd class, I'm not sure where Goryeo fits in but I would doubt they are also considered 1st class citizens.

TH's and SN's problem is no longer just the lack of love and communication, from ep 40, we can see their problem is in their nationality and values.

TH believes SN is his wife so she should be loyal to Yuan above all else, from his first appearance to now TH has not changed his view of Goryeo. What BY offered him was the dream of fulfilling his ancestors wish. There is nothing wrong with this.

SN on the other hand is a Goryeo citizen, marriage doesn't change that fact, she's loyal to her country and to Yuan, but Yuan had turned its back on her and now she's fighting to free her country. There is nothing wrong with this either.

I don't see an outcome for this for TH and SN. Neither one can betray their country.

Guest critics

Now I know why these two henchmen especially YBS are still alive until this day.  Imagine he was the one reporting to DK about KG's itinerary for that night.  Out of rage, DK led the attack just to execute his revenge perhaps leaving these two behind .
http://thetalkingcupboard.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/empress-ki-e40-140324-hdtv-xvid-limo-avi_000925458.jpg
DK ended up being the one at a lost?  DK is so pitiful!  Before all his family members were dead and now he's losing 1/2 of his sight as if everything he has is slowly leaving from him.  Now I do believe the joke definition of revenge (an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth until the world becomes blind and toothless) =)) http://thetalkingcupboard.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/empress-ki-e40-140324-hdtv-xvid-limo-avi_001241041.jpg
But mind you, guys,  the two scumbags just came to the rescue after all of WY's fighters left  from that scene where DK was as if they intentionally delayed their steps just to ensure nobody is left to finish them off?
  So lucky, the calls for death are too far away from them!  Maybe they had secret contract with Grim Reaper not to mess up [-X  [-X  with them until such time that they finally taste a life of a wealthy merchants. 

Guest avocado1430291863

Fans in Baidu said the WR will make plague in Yuan...I think that a good idea (sorry for the people of Yuan) but for SN-TH relation that will be a good news, they have to join hands again to solve the plague problem, maybe they will use the stash to overcome that problem....not for the initial separate goals

Guest sunriverwind

Another exciting episode tonight, I am soooo hoping! 
Following the pattern of Conflict Continuum, is  it too much to expect that  these episodes should already be tackling the latter part of the curve?      Resolve, tie up, tighten, connect, get going ALREADY...towards the climax or conclusion.     Last time I checked, we've gone past  the highest point  of the curve, even if it took like forever.If we can recall bi-monthly book reports in middle school, we know what's next after conflict, right?  No one tell me please these  scriptwriters are stuck?

P.S., off topic - this actor playing ybs,  guess what,  he is also in the drama I watched while waiting/loading up for 10 or so EK episodes;  also the bad guy there.   Is there a way to take a sabbatical from anything-him!   FMercury singing  "I want to break free" with me now. I didn't know after the IHYV first episode, he'd still be back to haunt the lead.  I stopped watching, I may fall in love with him.   Stockholm syndrome! Vulnerable this  poor heart :x of mine.

Looks like all the ratings for the shows for last night went down (except Secret Love Affair on the cable channel). Empress Ki dropped the most.

The shows still popular but the ratings have been declining. Anyone able to check the Korean forums and see what it says?

Credit: http://beatuscorner.com/24-march-2014-ratings/

#2 MBC Empress Ki Episode 40 – 24.4% (- 2.1%) [seoul #2 27.9% (- 1.8%)]
#19 SBS God’s Gift – 14 Days  Episode 7 – 8.8% (- 0.6%) [seoul #19 9.5% (- 0.3%)]
Not in Top 20 KBS2 Beyond the Clouds Episode 11 – 3% (- 0.5%)

JTBC Secret Love Affair episode 3 – 3.188% (+0.084%)

In the mean time...
vlcsnap-2014-03-25-19h06m44s78.png

Guest hunterdd

euyeunu said: Looks like all the ratings for the shows for last night went down (except Secret Love Affair on the cable channel). Empress Ki dropped the most.

The shows still popular but the ratings have been declining. Anyone able to check the Korean forums and see what it says?

Credit: http://beatuscorner.com/24-march-2014-ratings/

#2 MBC Empress Ki Episode 40 – 24.4% (- 2.1%) [seoul #2 27.9% (- 1.8%)]
#19 SBS God’s Gift – 14 Days  Episode 7 – 8.8% (- 0.6%) [seoul #19 9.5% (- 0.3%)]
Not in Top 20 KBS2 Beyond the Clouds Episode 11 – 3% (- 0.5%)

JTBC Secret Love Affair episode 3 – 3.188% (+0.084%) <-- new cable Noona Flowerboy ROMANCE

In the mean time...

March 25, 2014
'Empress Ki,' S. Koreans' favorite show: poll
Source: YonhapNews
SEOUL, March 25 (Yonhap) -- South Koreans' favorite TV show is "Empress Ki," an epic drama about a Korean-born empress of the Chinese Yuan Dynasty, a survey showed Tuesday.
The MBC TV drama received the largest 10.8 percent support in a telephone survey conducted by Gallup Korea of 1,216 adults around the country earlier this month.
MBC's long-running entertainment show "Infinite Challenge" came in second with 9.9 percent, followed by KBS 2TV's entertainment show "One Night Two Days" (6.3 percent) and SBS's "Running Man" with 5.9 percent.
KBS 1TV's epic drama "Jeongdojeon" was ranked the fifth with 5 percent.
"Historical TV dramas regained popularity thanks to support from viewers in their 40s and 50s," a Gallup official said.
The drama stars Ha Ji-won as Empress Ki, who was born in Korea's Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) but later married Emperor Huizong of the Chinese Yuan Dynasty. The series "Empress Ki" depicts her loves and political ambitions as she is torn between the two countries.
AEN20140325011000315_01_i.jpg

Stars of MBC epic drama "Empress Ki" pose for photographers during an event in Seoul on October 24, 2013, to promote the drama. (Yonhap)