Jeon Ji Hyun 전지현 - Upcoming Drama : Polaris

hongchae1

Guest CaroleL1430293378

if im not wrong, she went to Japan for a photoshoot after her final shoot and came back b4 the party..
hongchae1 said: Guys, I heard that JJH went to Japan for vacation after YWCFTS?? Is it true?

:(( why are there tons of news mentioning that JJH will leave the entertainment industry and go home to hv babies :(( (though seems I read online she will be going to shanghai on 15 March as ambassador of Hanhoo)

I'm now searching her old news... Seems before her marriage there are rumors about she's it she denied and then after several months it turned out to be true? T.T would it be the same again this time

You who came from Korea

Global Times | 2014-2-25 21:38:01 (China's English Newspaper)
By Wei Xi

f31775ed-f630-4532-8d71-ca947df5e1f5.jpe

A scene from You Who Came From the Stars Photo: CFP

"The day of the first snow should be a time for fried chicken and beer." If you're a fan of TV dramas this line may not be all that unfamiliar to you. It comes from You Who Came From the Stars, a South Korean TV soap opera that has become extremely popular recently in China and some Southeast Asian countries. 

A neighboring country to China, many TV dramas produced in South Korea have become quite popular among Chinese audiences. After Endless Love (2000) and Dae Jang-geum (2003) kicked off a wave of popular Korean dramas a decade ago, two new works from Korean broadcast channel SBS The Heirs andYou Who Came From the Stars are set to start another trend. 

South Korean fad

If you type in key words related to the two dramas on China's leading online shopping website taobao.com, you will see pages upon pages of unofficial show merchandise from clothing, bags, accessories to cosmetics.

After the broadcast of The Heirs at the end of 2013, 26-year-old lead actor Lee Min-ho has not only captured a great number of fans but has also begun doing commercial endorsements for taobao.com. His appearance during this year's CCTV Spring Festival Gala was also featured heavily in CCTV promotions for the event. 

As the next big drama after The HeirsYou Who Came From the Stars has made an even larger impact. 

The snack combination often mentioned by lead actress Jun Ji-hyun, fried chicken and a bottle of beer, has become a new favorite among fans in China despite rising fears over H7N9. According to a report on chinanews.com, a Japanese chain restaurant in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province sold several thousands of this meal combination during the evening of Valentine's Day on February 14.

The popularity of You Who Came From the Stars is not limited to average folk, many professionals and stars have become fans as well. Famous mainland actress Zhao Wei posted on her Sina Weibo that the drama is "really good" and she applauded the fact that TV drama had reached such a standard.  

Yu Zheng, a domestic TV drama scriptwriter, also showed his love for The Stars. "After watching 12 episodes, I still think the plot is great. It is simple but has tension. A good combination of outdoor and indoor scenes." Yu said The Stars is worth studying.

Soap opera 3.0

South Korea produced TV dramas always boast that they are a gathering of handsome men and beautiful women. Actors like Lee Min-ho, Kim Woo-bin and Choi Jin-hyuk from The Heirs all began as models and so have excellent figures that capture audiences' eyes.

Model-turned-actress Jun Ji-hyun is also widely accepted as an A-list star in South Korea. As some Chinese media outlets have commented, she easily switches between a goddess-like star and a maniac woman when playing her role.

Yet South Korean TV dramas once experienced a long depression over the past decade or so, being overshadowed in China by dramas from the UK and US. 

Criticized for old fashioned and dilatory plots, some audiences felt that these shows repeated themselves in almost every story: car accidents that result in loss of memory, incurable diseases like cancer, romance between brother and sister. 

Recent works, represented by The Heirs and The Stars, have shown a change in theme and storytelling methods. 

The Heirs, a story about romance and power struggles among the upper-class, points out the cruel truth that if one wants to wear a crown they must endure its heavy weight. 

Meanwhile, The Stars, about an alien who has secretly lived on Earth for 400 years, wins out by having two story lines, a romance and a murder case, developing in parallel. This makes for the perfect balance between relaxation and tension. 

TV variety show director Pang Bo told the Global Times that she pays extra attention to the technical parts ofThe Stars out of professional habit. She feels The Stars is far more elaborately made than many Chinese dramas. 

"I've watched a few special episodes about the behind-the-scenes production process, and realized that the special effects for certain scenes, even if they are only five to 10 seconds, will use up to 60 different frames. Domestic computer generated effects, in comparison, are too rough," she said. 

Different strokes

While tear provoking South Korean soap operas once played a dominating role among foreign TV dramas in the Chinese mainland, today's TV drama market has become more evenly divided. 

"South Korean dramas portray daily life, Japanese dramas have beautiful pictures and very literary dialogue, US dramas catch audiences with their speed and suspense, and UK dramas have strong local culture," Zhuang Yu, a Chinese TV drama scriptwriter gave her analysis. 

She further pointed out that it is difficult for current domestic works to reach such a high standard, to a large degree, due to China's current level of development.

Your vision is limited when you stand on a low platform, Zhuang said, using the example of popular 1991 Chinese TV drama Stories from the Editorial Board, in which there was a scene where Chinese were not able to understand how dishes could be washed by a machine in the US. 

A lack of capital is also an important reason that "disqualifies" many domestic TV dramas. 

According to a report on economic news portal ce.cn, actor salaries make up around 40 to 50 percent of a Korean drama's budget, but in China that amount can reach as high as 70 percent. As a result, only a little money is left for the production itself. 

Zhuang agrees, but says it's difficult to argue with this system. "The stars are what sell," she said. 

"There are government restrictions as well," Zhuang added.  
(http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/844707.shtml#.Uxcg3z-SySp)

(Singapore English Newspaper)

Life!  |   Life Home Entertainment  |  By Foong Woei Wan  |   2014-01-23

Her boyfriend is an alien superhero

My Love From The Star meshes comedy, suspense, sci-fi, period romance and wish fulfilment

She is a cranky, 29-going-on-30 queen of television melodrama whose crown is slipping.

He is her cagey, eternally young neighbour in a luxury residential complex in Seoul, and he has a secret: A scholar from outer space, he has been stranded on Earth for 400 years and may have met and loved her in her past life during the Chosun dynasty.

They are an odd couple in the South Korean drama My Love From The Star, which is itself a strange yet sweepingly romantic tale of MayDecember love. Embracing fish-out-of-water comedy, period romance, suspense, science fiction and an element of wish fulfilment, the show wants to have the best of all possible worlds. A more precise (and schizo) title would be: My Boyfriend Is An Old Alien Superhero Who Looks Way Too Young For Me.

The hero (Kim Soo Hyun) is basically an old man in a young guy's body, and the show plays out the premise on several levels.

An early episode has the heroine (Gianna Jun of My Sassy Girl fame) angrily mistaking him for a young stalker, when he is an old fogey too ignorant of pop culture to instantly recognise her. Her rage then becomes disbelief, as she wonders why the brat doesn't know who she is: "Is he from North Korea?"

Later, he turns out to be her professor - she hasn't graduated from university because she doesn't go to school often enough to graduate - and also a dreamboat in K-drama terms. Although he is much older and talks like a musty book, he is also much richer (he grew a fortune out of real estate after bartering rice for land in the Chosun era). He is not just an old-fashioned gentleman (a fear of infectious human diseases has kept him chaste for decades, possibly centuries) but also an ageless superman (his powers, shown in scenes which are surreal and sometimes beautiful, include stopping time and teleporting).

And with such a curious young-old guy, the heroine gets to be a damsel in distress, an ignorant little girl, a knowing big sister and even a cougar.

Admittedly, the show is a fantasy and the hero is less a character than a collection of Mr Right attributes. Kim has little to do beyond showing up and being charismatic.

So Jun has to be the show's beating heart, which she does well in her first TV role in 14 years.

The heroine has been a star since childhood and is no good at anything besides acting and maintaining her HDTV-ready lustre ("You're doing Photoshop using make-up, okay," she instructs a make-up artist).

Jun plays her as an uncertain, vulnerable person whose moods fluctuate wildly. She can't even be sure enough of her anger to stay angry in a quarrel with her neighbour.

Jun shows you the woman-child in the prima donna's armour: the lonely girl who feels betrayed when formerly adoring fans mock her malapropisms; the child actor who might not know the difference between adulation and love.

The show might be in la-la land, but Jun adds some real emotional weight.

woeiwan@sph.com.sg

THE NEW PAPER (Singapore's newspaper)
NEWS
  |   By JOCELYN LEE  |   2014-03-04

Craving some star power

Hit K-drama has fans hankering after placed products

jocelee@sph.com.sg

Top South Korean actress Gianna Jun's phenomenal rom-com fantasy series My Love From The Star has officially taken Asia by storm.

It is one of the most-watched dramas in Korea and has record-breaking viewer ratings, with more than 30 per cent of Korea households tuning in.

And Jun's character is so popular that almost every cosmetic product she used in the show is sold out in Asia.

In the 21-episode series, 32-year-old Jun, who returned to the small screen after 14 years, plays Cheon Song Ee, an arrogant, obnoxious A-list celebrity who falls in love with an alien (played by Korean heart-throb Kim Soo Hyun).

My Love From The Star ended its run in Korea last Thursday. It is airing here on ONE (SingTel mio TV Ch 513/StarHub TV Ch 823) on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8.55pm.

In one scene, Jun is seen wearing a coral pink lipstick (Rouge Pur Couture shade No. 52) by Yves Saint Laurent (YSL). Shortly after, it was sold out in all department stores across Asia, including Singapore.

At a cosmetics counter in Gangnam, Seoul, that particular shade sold close to 2,600 pieces in January.

K-drama fan Michelle Ang told The New Paper: "I went to Takashimaya hoping to buy that shade of lipstick that Gianna used in the show, but it was sold out.

"There were also two Korean women there who wanted to buy it, but the salesgirl said it was a very popular colour and has been out of stock for a while already."

The 29-year-old store manager added: "I like Gianna's character in the show because she is funny and doesn't care about her image. She isn't the typical type of female lead you will see in Korean dramas."

Ms Zling Ng, marketing manager of Yves Saint Laurent Beaute in Singapore, said that more than 1,000 pieces of the lipstick have been sold here in the past two months.

'OUT OF STOCK'

"The shade became out of stock on Feb 14 and we have no idea when it will be restocked. We have customers coming in every day asking for shade No. 52 and we have seen the sales increase ever since the show started airing," she said.

"The colour is very easy to wear, and it suits the Asian skin tone."

While the retail price of the lipstick here is $48, it can be seen selling on eBay for as high as US$150 (S$190).

Ms Ng added that other makeup products — such as its luminous pink lipstick (Rouge Pur Couture shade no. 57) which also resembles another lipstick colour sported by Jun — are also flying off the shelves after the drama aired, and will sell out very soon.

Other Korean makeup brands such as Iope have also experienced soaring sales, thanks to Jun.

Ms Song Jin-a, brand manager for Iope products for AmorePacific in Korea, told The Korea Times: "The sales of the (Iope) pink lipstick in Korea have doubled since January, after Gianna appeared in the drama."

It is not only the beauty market that is benefiting from the show's popularity, but the culinary world as well.

Jun's character Cheon is shown enjoying her deep fried chicken and beer regularly on the show — and fans have followed suit.

Even though this combination is already a staple dish in Korea, it is seen more as cheap fare and not something that a superstar like Cheon should be indulging in or even constantly craving.

But public relations manager Tan Huiling, 30, said: "I went out for Korean fried chicken in Tanjong Pagar over the weekend after watching the show. Seeing Gianna eat it makes me want to eat it too.

"It's crazy how the show can trigger these cravings in me which I didn't use to have."

— Public relations manager Tan Huiling

heehee so guys see the news I posted above?  JJH's acting is actually widely recognized, even those newspaper doesn't mind praising her acting when reporting the news around the drama!! There actually are a lot more in Chinese, esp. from HK's magazines and newspaper...haha but I just don't have time to have them translated and they don't have English version.
amazing JJH!!

Guest CaroleL1430293378

@loyun, thanks for the posted news, its good to hear about JJH popularity, hope this thread will be updated more often..since the drama ended :-( which im still not over it.. 

March 5, 2014
‘Love From Star’ Couple Become Rivals Outside the Show?
Source: BNTNews
2zm4lnczqxbz1izvb9cq5wqauxwojk3a.jpg[by Chloe Yun] Gianna Jun and Kim Soo Hyun meet again outside of the TV screen and, this time, they are not adorable love birds, but cold competitors. 

The sweet ‘Love from Star’ couple will be competing with each other as an ambassador of two competing drinks brands. Kim Soo Hyun has recently become a new model for fruit drink ‘Petitzel Fruity.’ Gianna Jun has also worked for another fruit drink brand called ‘Hong Cho’ for several years.
‘Love from Star’ is SBS’ latest mega hit drama that had reached 28.1% viewer ratings. Gianna Jun and Kim Soo Hyun showed great chemistry in the series as playing a couple who overcame space-time barriers between an earthian and an alien. 
According to an associate of ‘Petitzel Fruity,’ the sales have increased nearly 70% since Kim Soo Hyun became the brand ambassador, which proves his power in the advertising industry and unstoppable fever of ‘Love from Star.’ (photo by Petitzel, Chungjungone) 

Guest ilikemangoss

I fall deeper in love with her! JJH is one of those people you wanna be best friends with. Down to earth, knows how to have a good time, goofy, GORGEOUS.

Dont you think she could be a dancer too?  :)

She's never afraid to add her own quirky flair! She doesn't care about looking absolutely perfect, cool, or sexy. 

@xilukemangos thanks for the video.. i fell for her when she star in Blood: The last vampire Or the vamp slayer...

At 1st i thought she do look like a high schooler...lol...

I miss u JJH... PLZ act more in drama... if possible with KSH...

A hopeful dream from a dreamer...