[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Minasan, Happy Sunday and/or Monday (where applicable).  Aigoo, if it isn't one thing, it's another...

In addition to the Thanksgiving Holiday slowing life to a crawl here in California, I was pointed towards a rumor on a BBS that there may be a problem with 'Empress Ki' overseas licensing issues; hence, the delay with the streaming release of Episode 10.  Further investigation is warranted and I have my chingu on the ground over in Seoul looking into the purported gossip.

And this is just me thinking like the baby lawyer I be:  In a perfect world, the licensee (that would be Hulu) usually obtains the rights to broadcast the entire series in a bulk package, no matter how many episodes. It could be possible that Hulu negotiated with MBC on a per-episode basis, with the right of first refusal to re-negotiate every 10/15/20 episodes (depending on the executed contract).  Given the controversy the production was gathering up until the first episode's airing, maybe either (or both) Hulu and MBC wanted to play things close to see how the viewing public reacted to the Show.  Now that EK has turned into a runaway success for MBC (like there was any doubt *hmpf*), MBC may have decided to 'up the ante' and want more money or concessions or whatever prior to releasing the next episodes to Hulu for broadcast.

Granted, this is all conjecture on my part, so do not take this as gospel until more news is gathered.  Regardless, that would really suck donkey balls if all of a sudden Hulu loses their rights to broadcast 'Empress Ki' on a timely release schedule (or any of the other MBC America offerings, for that matter).  As we always say in the trade... this ain't over until it's over.  STAY TUNED.

@CherKell - 
No way! OMG, that would truly stink. I initially thought that might be why ViKi and/or DramaFever didn't get the license was because MBC wanted too much money? I really hope MBC isn't stupid enough to air 9 subbed episodes and then yank away the license. Wow.  :|

Well hopefully that is just a rumor or smoke is about to come out of my head. That'll be a big FU for people waiting for subs and just kill the international following by not providing any legal subs.
LOL at those two in the pictures above. Just throw them in a cage and have them fight it out. I wonder if the ED will still be against SN later on. It will be funny if the ED and TS agreed on something and joined hands.

Guest sara1117

Nooo way! MBC don't be that low! Subs gives totally stronger impression. I watched ep 9 subbed and had goosebumps when WY gave that speech to his people when he won over Yeom. But I had blank face when watching that in raw :|

@sarah.lina no problem
I wonder if this cunning plan is set up by the writers to draw a parallel between SN and Bartulo (because, as we know, SN is cunning as well). However we should not feel that SN shine is being stolen, though I understand why you guys would feel that way, but think of it this way, when there is a really good and popular authentic product out there, you will always find a copycat spring up. 
SN original disguise served the purpose of keeping her out of Yuan however at the moment she is there and it is no longer needed. Now it is time for her to take things to a whole new level, She as a woman, will make all of yuan bow down. She will not be a powerful woman disguised as a man, but a woman who will make the whole yuan court lower themselves in defeat, and acknowledge her true self as a strong woman. Using her disguise in yuan would be more of a crutch, I want to see her swing her sword and shoot her bow as a woman, making the whole Yuan court drop their jaw and make yuan regret the day that they thought it was a good idea to bring in tributes      >:)

Ep 11 PREVIEW 

TN orders SN to harm Lady Park without letting her know it.  Lady Park looks sick.  It looks like the ED empress knows that SN is the one who has been helping Lady Park.  TH orders SN to lift her face up and look at him in the eyes.  When TH finds out the identity of SN, he is very mad thinking that SN treats him like an idiot and laughs at him for not recognizing her.  He says he won't be taking the initiative to look for her any more.

rinchan76 said: @sarah.lina no problem
I wonder if this cunning plan is set up by the writers to draw a parallel between SN and Bartulo (because, as we know, SN is cunning as well). However we should not feel that SN shine is being stolen, though I understand why you guys would feel that way, but think of it this way, when there is a really good and popular authentic product out there, you will always find a copycat spring up. 
SN original disguise served the purpose of keeping her out of Yuan however at the moment she is there and it is no longer needed. Now it is time for her to take things to a whole new level, She as a woman, will make all of yuan bow down. She will not be a powerful woman disguised as a man, but a woman who will make the whole yuan court lower themselves in defeat, and acknowledge her true self as a strong woman. Using her disguise in yuan would be more of a crutch, I want to see her swing her sword and shoot her bow as a woman, making the whole Yuan court drop their jaw and make yuan regret the day that they thought it was a good idea to bring in tributes      >:)

EP 11  PREVIEW

At the battle field, the turks are plotting something.   Someone orders to set the fire.   General Baek orders the attack on the turks.   WY is questioning him as it seems the General plans to use Goryeou people as human shields. 

Does anyone know the significance of TH royal robe (the white and gold one plus he was wearing that crown from when he got married), when he was yelling at SN and saying she can mock him in the preview. The last time I saw him in that outfit he was meeting TN. Is he by chance setting up LP as his concubine? it would explain why El Temur was discussing the relationship between politics and status.  :-?

:-B I waited till today to watch episode 9 subbed with the hopes that episode 10 would finally be subbed in my area...no such luck. So, I am grateful to be able to come to this thread to read recaps and comments to 'sustain' me till I am able to watch eps 10 subbed. Thanks to everyone for making this an interesting thread to follow. There is nothing to be done, but to be patient especially since this drama is not even at its half way mark. Episode 9 subbed, was as expected: excellent. I honestly felt that subconsciously, SN's dream with WY was more about her inner struggle to accept that her vengeance would have to wait and it would only cause 'destruction' and pain for all of her people...she'd have to seek the greater good, set aside her personal vengeance and plan strategically and intelligently, rather than impulsively..accepting this fact, of course, wasn't easy for SN. It is logical that WY would be in her dream because he would want the greater good for his people. I'm not quite sure that I have explained myself well...but, I don't think it really matters because this thread has gone way past episode 9. Plus, there are so many more insightful comments, than what I could even begin to express. I'm Excited for the next two episodes and even more so for the recaps, pics and comments because it just makes waiting so much easier. Thanks again to everyone on this thread. [i do have a question. Please excuse my ignorance but what are spams. I rec'd 5 spam. I haven't a clue what spams are. I am guessing it isn't good. Could someone explain spams. I can't think that I have said anything or done anything wrong. I've decided to just read rather than comment any way; but, I still would like to know. :-/ :-?? :| ]

cattx said: [i do have a question. Please excuse my ignorance but what are spams. I rec'd 5 spam. I haven't a clue what spams are. I am guessing it isn't good. Could someone explain spams. I can't think that I have said anything or done anything wrong. I've decided to just read rather than comment any way; but, I still would like to know. :-/ :-?? :| ]