Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

Singles interview is too long and I am super busy with my job, esp. during year-end season, that i just finished only 1/4

The interview is super long but it’s read-worthy so hope you can make it till the end. Or you can read a summary from hitoritabi here & here . And what forcing me to do this because Jong Suk used to mention in the interview he will enlist the military next year perhaps. Til now, we have not even known his decision yet but I still hope he should leave us 2 more projects next year (1 movie & 1 drama, which were listed in Trugen fansign, if I am not mistaken) before going (2014)

One more thing, I should say thank you to my fav 2 Lee Jong Suk FB fanpages for doing such many amazing translating. Without your effort, I am not able to do this (even my translation is not as good as others)

[singles interview 2013 November issue - Part 1]

August 2nd , Lee Jong Suk’s work day has started from Seoul. Going Daejeon for a movie and return to Seoul, then he flied to Busan for a fansign. But due to many fans shown up, the event was cancelled for safety precausions. Hence he had 1-2 spare hours returned to Samsungdong, Seoul for a magazine photoshoot. It finally ended at 1:30 am, then followed up with the interview. Being very tired his eyes almost went to the land of Nod, but immediately he wanted to do an interview, he wanted to talk and the conversation lasted until 3am. No matter what we were talking about, he kept reverting to only one topic: "I want to get married, I want to be loved, it seemed like I really need someone".

Through Go Nam Soon, a highschool student in "School 2013", he began to show audiences Lee Jong Suk’s syndrome, follow with Park Soo Ha -  a high school boy with supernatural ability "I Hear Your Voice", he officially created himself "THE TREND of Lee Jong Suk". Not be able to enjoy his success, he has immediately started working on two new movies "No Breathing" and "Hot Boiling Youth". In order to get this hottest guy, all magazines has started many fierce competitions. And when he finally accepted this intervies, many other magazines spreaded out countless envies.

Started as a model, he was able to portray the concept perfectly during the photoshoot, even his fatigue was covered up by the infinite brightness he brought to. Never showing his masquerade, arrogance or rudeness , he is always friendly, honest and enthusiastic to everybody. All of these is the proof of "The era of Lee Jong Suk " that will not be easily lost . Thanks to him, we are able to conducted this interview, we are so proud of every details he brings into this. That’s why we decided to choose this this adorable guy for Singles covers – September issue to celebrate our anniversary.

Editor note: Seeing him shines bright right now, I feel this guy has won hearts of all women in SK. Wow,it's our Jong Suk.

Singles: The drama finally ended, there were many emotional scense in the last episode. How do you feel about Lee Bo Young’s marriage?

LJS: She told me before she annouced it. During I Hear Your Voice, Bo Young noona asked me: "Do you want to hear my secret? " then told to me she was getting married. Even after annouced it, it still filled me with wonder.

Singles: Have you ever met Ji Sung? 

LJS: I used to talk to him. Bo Young noona often called Ji Sung sunbae. I was with her during filming and every time she suddenly put me on the phone, I was on my nerve. I don’t know what to do, what I should say to him. Being so close to each other, she often asked him: “What are you doing, oppa?”  

Singles: (You) admire them, do you?

LJS: Yes, very very very very ...

Singles: There is another one. Finding out Lee Na Young admit her relationship, how do you feel? As admitted you are her fan?

LJS: I know why fans felt betrayal after hearing this, now I totally understand it. Saw the news, I actually cried out. Even though I have never met her before, there is no relation between us, but I felt very sad

Singles: "The Face Reader " will be released in September, we heard recently you are very busy for "No Breathing" and soon will start “Hot Boiling Youth”. After "School 2013", you always work continuously like this?

LJS: From my debut until now, I have never got any rest. My schedules are always packed. While filming “High Kick 3” I was also filming “Korea” and “R2B”. After that, I had to work on "School 2013" and "The Face Reader" at the same time, and this time is for "I Hear Your Voice" and the current movie.

Singles: Heard after debut, you had to work at a bar

LJS: Yes. I debuted with "Prosecutor Princess", I was not into the character at that moment, it seemed never existed. I used to think “If I can debut, I will be able to shine", but people actually had not even known my presence, so it became more difficult to me. I have always worked with the thought "Ahh, I must find a way to go". Before "Secret Garden", I had no work to do in 3 years. Because those wasted years could not help my acting, I am always ambitious in my works. Duration 3 years I had always felt pressure in my life. If I were extrovert person, my emotional expression would be improved much in the movie, right? During "I Hear Your Voice" because I did not show much affection, I was very scared when each episode aired. I did not have much time seeking for my professor, asking him for guidance or discussing with others. So I sent a message to writer: "I’m sorry. Please trust me I will work hard”, also talk the director: "Director, I have not have any lesson of emotional expression before." But the director said that my dialog is particularly interesting .

Singles : Heard that "I Hear Your Voice" had been heavily censored, nobody believed it would have this success, right?

LJS: Yes. It was initially censored by KBS which let me know its existence. I also heard from management staff mentioned about the movie: "A young man with supernatural ability and courtroom and romantic comedy". That’s all I knew about the drama but made ​​me very interested. However it was not passed censor so I had to give up and accepted “No Breathing”.  One week later, it passed SBS censorship. The production crew also wanted me for the drama. If I knew just one week before, I would give up the movie and totally focused on the drama. But I had not knew it, I did not know what should I do. "Then just go with 2 movies at the same time?". "OK!" it finally ended up like that.

Singles: All good things will come to an end, isn’t it? 

LJS: Seems to be. After "School 2013", I think all the student characters were sent to me. Even though there were a lot of offers but not many good options so I choose by my heart.

Singles: "I Hear Your Voice" is a movie successully showing the ideal love of the many girls through many single scene: a sudden kiss of a young guy, a back hug, waiting for lover in the rain ...

LJS: I and Bo Young noona had discussed about this: "It seems like a writer wants to bring all wishes of love to the drama”. For example, the scene which I carry her up and kiss her, doing this was really tired. This cannot be done in real life. It is such a lovely scene which only exists in the comic

Singles: To be honest, for any 20-ish actor, do you want to play a character that can place big impression in audiences’ heart?

LJS: I would like to take that role. But I feel my current characters are matched well with my age. That’s why I very admire Woo Bin. His image is very masculine but also bright and pure when he smiles. Conversely, my image is very limited. I think Woo Bin can work in many different types more than me.

/* Start hitoritabi translation */
Q. Can you become close friends with someone like Sooha, who can read your heart?

A. No. It’s human nature for people to smile at you but hold a knife behind their backs, no? I’m not that kind of person, but there are times when my expressions don’t match what I am thinking inside. No matter what, I don’t want that part to be revealed.

Q. Do you often find it necessary hides your emotions?

A. It’s like that around 90% of the time. I’ve actually forgotten how to get angry.

Q. Aigoo, just do what you want.

A. I lived my life compromising towards harsh reality, so I became like this. I used to think, “I will do this when I become successful”, but when I receive a tiny bit of success, and I want to take back a bit of my rights, then I’d also worry if people might think of me like “ah, after some time passes, people all change”. So, I live very carefully. Lately, I just have the feeling of “whatever”, and live like I have given up?

Q. Why does it sound so sad?

A. A long time ago, I was scolded by my manager. I went in for auditions and failed. When you have this kind of situation, it could be because my acting is bad, or it could be because of other reasons, like other actors acting very well. But he would scold me, “You can’t act…!” But when I get the part, he would say it is because he pushed me well. Whew, talking about this makes me upset again.
/* End hitoritabi translation */

Singles: But you look more happier recently? We can see differences clearly from photos of your fansign.

LJS: My luck got better recently. Last year, not any Wed-Thurs drama was able to reach over 10% so we really hoped “I Hear Your Voice” could be placed at 10% and that’s enough for us. Even the director did not expect much. But the result was very impressive.

Singles: How much have you contributed to the success of the drama?

LJS: I can’t say how much I worked for it. Bo Young noona helped me, encouraged me a lot so that I could improve much better. We often jokes together: “Who raised this Jong Suk up?" "It’s noona". Her expressions were in earnest that I could learned a lot. Never discussed about acting but we have often shared thoughts as “I will act this like!” and I replied: “Ah, I know. You jst do that wat” and that’s our way

Singles: About Lee Jong Suk in "I Hear Your Voice", what do you want to say? 

LJS: Make use of multiple emotional emotions, even not perfect 100%. To be honest, I wanted to know whether I can be into the character as same as School 2013’s. Rewatching the scenes every day make me very guilty. Moreover every time saw the director, I wanted to show him good impressions.

Singles: Just that? Why?

LJS: I don’t know. The director was very kind to me. He had never forced me do like this or that, only gently told me: “It’s not that expression perhaps, you can try this way”, I felt nervous (when did wrong) That was the first time I had that feeling. Because my face became red naturally and get sweated so he may wonder himself "Do I did something wrong towards him?". I think he just showed a part of his feeling to me and put the rest inside. But of course, I need to try my best (according to his guidance)

Source: Lee Jong Suk baidu
Viet-trans: Lee Jong Suk FC in Vietnam
Thanks to hitoritabi for the summary as a part of the interview which can be found here & here

Shin.U

said: Singles interview is too long and I am super busy with my job, esp. during year-end season, that i just finished only 1/4

The interview is super long but it’s read-worthy so hope you can make it till the end. Or you can read a summary from hitoritabi

here

here

. And what forcing me to do this because Jong Suk used to mention in the interview he will enlist the military next year perhaps. Til now, we have not even known his decision yet but I still hope he should leave us 2 more projects next year (1 movie