[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Busy so I am lurking here ! 
But so happy to see many of those soompiers whom I followed them before in other good drama forums, are dropping day by day and joining in the discussion here .. this is really such a great honor and a good sign or indicator that this drama is doing well >> at least up till what we got to see in its first episodes from the last week .

Seriously?  People think they are seeing/learning history in a drama? sheesh
 (If those people were living in the desert, they would probably buy sand.) 

Definition of history: the aggregate of past events.

Definition of drama: narrative work or program for television, radio, or the cinema.

And, there needs to be no relationship between the two.

“History is written by the victors.”
Niccolò Machiavelli
http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/16201.Niccol_Machiavelli

"I'm so scared I can barely breath." - Huizong

tumblr_mvg8u2Ogyq1s8t96qo4_500.png

When we first meet Huizong at the beginning of the story he is an exiled Yuan crown prince, who despite his eldest status, gets replaced with his step-brother by the all-powerful El Temur and then is packed off to Goryeo, where they plan to kill him as a pretext for wiping out the resisting nation.

tumblr_mvg8u2Ogyq1s8t96qo5_250.png  tumblr_mvg8u2Ogyq1s8t96qo6_250.png

tumblr_mvg8u2Ogyq1s8t96qo9_250.png  tumblr_mvg8u2Ogyq1s8t96qo8_250.png

Huizong appears to be weak, sickly and foolish coward but we soon learn that’s only an act to keep himself alive just a little longer. Under the facade he wears in front of the world, we can spot a smart, shrewd, young man who has been haunted by the constant danger he’s been living in the whole life therefore it’s no wonder he’s scared to death. Yuan wants him dead, Goryeo wants him dead, too; even though, they can’t allow it to happen on their soil, his own family abondoned him and the people who are supposed to protect him are trying to kill him. When he confessed his fear to Zhang JCW’S acting was so astute that my heart broke for this poor young man.

tumblr_mvg8u2Ogyq1s8t96qo3_500.png

Huizong may sound as a weakling but fear is no weakness because only fools don’t know fear for the only time when a man can be truly brave is when he is afraid. This is the reason why I like Huizong better than Wang Yoo - Wang Yoo is written as the perfect hero without fear, without doubts, he fight for his country, he is so self-righteous it hurts and real people are not like that.Whether Huizong is very complex with flaws that make him so much human and I’m fascinated and curious how his character will evolve from now on.

tumblr_mvg8u2Ogyq1s8t96qo10_500.png

Now, he is seems to be only a pathetic pawn in the game the powerful play andit really makes you want to see his journey -  how this abandoned young man without allies and friends who found himself in a hostile foreign country became that self-confident and regal man from the beginning of episode 1.How Ki helped him, how their relationship influenced him and shaped him, how he matured him and became one of the most powerful monarchs of the 14th century and an Emperor who reigned in his own right.

@briseis, nice characterization of Huizong. I agree with you completely. He appeared in the second episode but made a good impression. He is an interesting character. I could feel his desperation to survive. I felt so sorry for him. His own family wants him dead for political reasons and Wang Go wants him dead for his own interest. He is smart and he played the role of a fool to gain time. I am interested about his evolution as well. I can see why he will fall in love with Nyung/ Ki. Two powerfully men will love the same woman. One of them heartbroken... or both. I know Emperess Qi will love Wang Yoo in this drama but I wish she`ll have genuine feelings for Huizong too.

qzYHyfn.gif
@larus: You know, I'm suffering from the worst case of the second-lead sydrom (which is really rare for me) that I don't give a damn whether Wang Yoo and Ki are the reincarnation of Romeo and Juliet because there exists only one OTP in this show for me and that is KiZong (you see I even thought up a name for them, already <:-P )tumblr_mvg951VW8O1s8t96qo4_1280.png

I admit that before the drama aired I was a little afraid whether JCW won’t be outshined and outperformed by JJM but it looks like I worried for nothing because this boy sure knows how to act and he really might be on his way to steal the show and hearts from JJM. As far as I’m concerned, Huizong is the more complexly written of the two male leads and while the rest of the drama is in no way boring it’s those moments when Huizong appears that move the plot and raise the stakes.

tumblr_mvg951VW8O1s8t96qo6_500.pngtumblr_mvg951VW8O1s8t96qo3_500.pngtumblr_mvg951VW8O1s8t96qo8_500.png

On a more shallow note, how dashing he looks with those long hair and armor?! I adore his eunuch! He looks like Huizong’s sidekick andthey make such a hilarious duo together! It’s great to see he has someone who genuinely cares for him.

tumblr_mvg951VW8O1s8t96qo7_1280.png

katie_nguyen85 said:
3) I thought the story was TOO fast paced at times. There were so many things that could have been expanded on or shown in more detail.
For example, Wang Yoo is a young guy who enjoys looking for street fights and playing around with women, and suddenly he's a super principled King and wants to get rid of all corruption in Goryeo? It doesn't show how his character evolved to that.
Also Ki meets her father for the first time, but there's almost no detail about that.

I am confused. Did the show say that Yoo was 18 or did I miss it? Everyone seems to think so, but I remember from the time Ki joined Wang Go, the time jump was 13 years. I honestly doubt that those kids were 5 lol So they have to be at least in their early 20s or even mid if those kids were like 12. I know in sageuks they tend to have actors play their late teens when they are way older than that like in Horse Doctor.

danit said:

That's probably true, but I still think they should have fleshed out that whole storyline more. Even if Wang Yoo was not a playboy, he still was only 18 years old. There still needs to be an adjustment period to learn how to be an effective and fair ruler and how to govern an entire country. Like DLG, I think just the stories from these 2 episodes could have been made into 6 episodes without dragging. But nonetheless, I'm greatly enjoying this show.

Dammit...can't think...why'd you have out that photo there?? :P

I know there were child kings back then that were basically controlled by their mothers, essentially, but they don't show that here. They show Wang Yoo suddenly completely in control, making all these decisions by himself, putting everyone in the court to shame, etc. With most jobs, there is a learning curve, so I would imagine to be a king there would be a learning curve too, and there would be some immaturity, mistakes, or lessons learned in the beginning. But the Wang Yoo shown here is almost exactly like a 50 year old, experienced King would act. I'm not sure where his character goes from here.

Guest leaaaaa

@danit Usually childhood stories are needed to explain how a character came to a certain point i.e. why the 'adult' version acts how he acts. We saw how child Wang Yoo was put on his place by the Yuan when he tried to help child Ki. who got whipped. This scene showed us his righteous character, who already had a sense of responsibilty even as child, and at the same time we saw how he felt helpless against Yuan. Their authority was above his as crown prince. We saw his frustration that Goryeo didn't have more power. Later, we saw him trying to help the women by secretly freeing them. But it backfired and he had to witness as the crown prince- and supposedly future king their slaughter. After seeing this, as a viewer, it should be no surprise that 13 years later, he already acts beyond his years. He had no time and right to be just a child. He needed to grow up fast and learn ("You are young and incompetent"). He already saw the hard reality that one wrong step can have dire consequences, "An incompetent ruler kills his people." Hence, it was not suddenly and a surprise that he could make 'decisions by himself' and 'put everyone in the court to shame'. Either he is like that or his people and him will be dead. He can't wait until he is 50... We would have only needed some childhood episodes if he really turned out to be a player and lazy bum because that would have been a big surprise after everything what happened...And about the question where his character goes from here: In the character description by muchadoboutlove we see that he will get dethroned and shipped to Yuan. Here, he will need to find a way to get his throne back & to get Goryeo's pride back after all those years under Yuan's control (and finally to be able to say "As king I bestow honor in Goryeo". lol )

@chrissydiva said: @DJG It was already said that the prince was never a foolish playboy. That was just his cover. Though I agree the first two episodes were on full speed. From some comments they said that was those writers style to be fast paced. They are bound to slow down somewhere.

LOL you guys!!!  Only hands and stuff? Jomo, you've got to step up your game there -- dream in real time like I do! >:D<

Yup, everything gets better and I feel no pain anymore with just one smile from My Precious...

CKTwitterAvatar9813_zps591cca8e.jpg

But I digress big time.  The folks at DC JCW have been busy little Photoshoppers while I was away.  Case in point of this beautiful submission:
viewimage_zps72577aca.jpg

And I had to add this one just for giggles n' grins -- I think I've just found a new name for my next band! :D

JCWPersimmoyummies_zps07f2e9e9.jpg
Enough futzing around -- time for an early sleeps if I want to be up at the crack of dark!!  I-)

Guest foreverstar75

briseis said:

"I'm so scared I can barely breath." - Huizong

When we first meet Huizong at the beginning of the story he is an exiled Yuan crown prince, who despite his eldest status, gets replaced with his step-brother by the all-powerful El Temur and then is packed off to Goryeo, where they plan to kill him as a pretext for wiping out the resisting nation.

Huizong appears to be weak, sickly and foolish coward but we soon learn that’s only an act to keep himself alive just a little longer. Under the facade he wears in front of the world, we can spot a smart, shrewd, young man who has been haunted by the constant danger he’s been living in the whole life therefore it’s no wonder he’s scared to death. Yuan wants him dead, Goryeo wants him dead, too; even though, they can’t allow it to happen on their soil, his own family abondoned him and the people who are supposed to protect him are trying to kill him. When he confessed his fear to Zhang JCW’S acting was so astute that my heart broke for this poor young man.

Huizong may sound as a weakling but fear is no weakness because only fools don’t know fear for the only time when a man can be truly brave is when he is afraid. This is the reason why I like Huizong better than Wang Yoo - Wang Yoo is written as the perfect hero without fear, without doubts, he fight for his country, he is so self-righteous it hurts and real people are not like that.Whether Huizong is very complex with flaws that make him so much human and I’m fascinated and curious how his character will evolve from now on.

Now, he is seems to be only a pathetic pawn in the game the powerful play andit really makes you want to see his journey -  how this abandoned young man without allies and friends who found himself in a hostile foreign country became that self-confident and regal man from the beginning of episode 1.How Ki helped him, how their relationship influenced him and shaped him, how he matured him and became one of the most powerful monarchs of the 14th century and an Emperor who reigned in his own right.