Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Good Doctor Episode 12 recap

I find myself repeating the same thing week after week – “It’s another awesome episode” because this drama keeps getting better. This week, I love that we get to understand our characters more in depth. We also see how SO handles the new challenges and understand himself better.

Continue reading...

Comments

What a cliffhanger for this week! Instead of a patient at death’s door on the operating table, it’s our hero who collapses in a heap, at the face of the monster who lurked deep in the recesses of his mind.

I re-watched this scene several times and it seems that Dad was not really shouting at SO. It was rather that SO was getting the flashbacks of his Dad and confusing them with the present Dad standing in front of him.  That is why in the present, Dad was calling to SO in a soft, almost tender voice but immediately, he switches to cussing as we see it through SO’s eyes. I also reckoned that if he has been acting in such a brute manner, shouty and all, DH and the rest would have already pushed him out of the room. But they stood there looking perplexed and more shocked at how SO is reacting rather than to the “abusive stranger”.

I am getting more and more impressed with the writing. For example, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Soo Jin’s husband is not the dime of a dozen spineless, chaebol mommy’s boy. So I hope the writer will surprise with SO’s Dad. Instead of assuming that he remains the terrible person that he was, I am hoping that he will be instrumental to helping SO recover from his trauma. The Dad is still a crude person given to alcoholism but it could be that he was also stuck in the past given no chance to make good his mistakes. We know that in the coming episode, SO is very traumatized and suffers a mental setback because of his Dad’s sudden appearance. However, it will be terrific if the Dad makes up for all those hurt and pain he inflicted on his son. He may be the final jigsaw piece that helps SO in remembering his past and start him on the road of recovery.

We find out that DH and CK have not always been so cold and businesslike with each other. In YS’s words, they were a couple whose lovey dovey romance gave her goosebumps. What went so wrong? Perhaps the relationship suffered a natural decline like loss of interest or could it be that DH never found a confidante in CK like how he did with YS? It seemed that he never told the story about his brother to anyone except YS. CK had asked him before but he never confided in her. When he found out about her plans to oust her stepmother and in turn affect the hospital, it was the straw that broke the camel’s back. CK showed much awareness of the state of their relationship. After weeks of complaining about the character, CK is finally growing on me. I had thought that she will go the way of a bitchy femme fatale and imagined her getting vengeful and jealous over YS. However, from the conversation she had with DH about their relationship, I give her credit for recognizing that their relationship has waned and that they are slowly falling out of love with each other without even knowing it. I had also expected her to treat SO badly or at best, ignore him. So it is surprising that we are given some very meaningful interactions between CK and SO instead. SO’s innocent and child-like perspectives on things have opened CK’s eyes to her relationship with DH. He tells her he does not understand what it means by “for the sake” of someone when earlier, CK had told him not to commit any errors for the sake of DH. I think this prompted CK to reflect on whether her actions to make DH the Chief of the Hospital was truly for his sake or achieving her own ambition. Over dinner, CK also realizes that DH and her relationship problems have always been there but she has chosen to cast a blind eye on them. She searches for memories but cannot find them. Like what SO said, could it be that she cannot remember because there were more bad memories than good ones? Just like how the young In Hae helped SO during their “love counseling” sessions, I think it will be SO who will be the catalyst in changing CK as a person. I do not know if her relationship with DH can be salvaged but at least if she still cares for him, she should give up her plans to take over the hospital and join forces to fight the external threats.

Unlike CK who is getting revelations on their relationship, it is DH who is rather confused about his feelings. It was interesting that DH and YS were so candid about her crushing on him. As he turns further and further away from CK, it will be a matter of time before DH acknowledges his feelings for YS and confesses to her.

I don’t see YS falling for DH quickly. Sure, she had crushed on him and she still thinks a world of him but her behavior towards him after his recent gestures, are pretty normal. Contrast it with SO’s reactions towards YS. Once he fell in love. SO started to feel very self–conscious in YS’s presence, I don’t see the same thing happening to YS, maybe not yet. Perhaps it is because DH and CK are still engaged and YS had already buried any romantic feelings towards DH. It will be interesting to watch her react to DH who I am sure will be stepping up with more affirmations of his interest in her.

SO on the other hand is so deeply infatuated with YS. He thinks of her all the time and is very conscious whenever he is in her presence. SO and YS have the most endearing and adorable scenes but it is obvious that up to now, YS sees SO only as a dongsaeng. To put it more accurately, she treats him like a child, someone who can be placated with food, whom she can tease or ruffles the hair affectionately. This does not escape SO either. I love the scene where he takes her hands off his and tells her that he is not a child who only likes to eat. Though SO behaves very child-like, he thinks differently. He does not want YS to see him as a child but as a man. This also culminates in acute embarrassment whenever he fails in front of her. 

When SO told YS that he is aware he lacks the credentials to be a doctor, to be a man and to love, my heart just broke into pieces. I acknowledge and accept the fact that SO has still far to go if he wants to be a surgeon. But to think that he feels he is unqualified to be a man and to love is just so sad. Joo Won’s acting in these 2 episodes is simply awesome to watch. I cannot think of another actor who can play a child-like man with such adorableness and innocence. More than this, his mastery at emotional acting in these 2 episodes is evident. Unlike his previous characters like Lee Kangto in Bridal Mask, Joo Won has to exert very fine control in expressing SO’s emotions. I am amazed that he manages to convey the emotions so well without erring on the side of understating them or overacting. It’s a tightrope walk which he has done an excellent job in balancing. In that scene where he burst out his love confession to YS, we could feel so acutely SO’s frustrations and desperation.

Before this drama aired, I had my reservations on how the writer might treat the romance aspect. I know he did a magnificent job in God’s Quiz but is not known for writing romance. As much as I wanted to root for a romance between SO and YS, I also did not want it to be unrealistic. It is proving to be very difficult because this couple is so adorable together. Now all it takes is for YS to be like SO as a man and I will be over the moon. However, looking at how the writer has sensibly developed the relationship between SO and YS, I do not think it is a foregone conclusion that SO and YS will end up together. The challenges of autism and practicalities of relationship aside, YS must cross the bridge from a caring noona-sunbae to a woman who loves the man SO for who he is.

It seems imperative that SO has to “grow up” in order to qualify to love YS but I hope that in the process, SO will not lose his adorable child-like demeanor and more importantly his innocence. It is not only SO who needs to ‘grow’ but the other “normal” people. More than SO changing, I will love to see how people around him change for the better. So far, many patients, including their guardians, have already benefited from SO’s healing touch. His colleagues, his superiors like Dr Go and DH have begun to  transform. No matter how perfect a machine is, it is still a machine. Nothing can replace a human touch and SO is the personification of that humanity which is much needed in treating the patients. 

I just watched episode 12 and what touched me aside from what the rest have already posted was the connection between DH and SO. DH, after receiving a gift from SO, remembered his brother giving a gift to him... SO, when DH came to his rescue from the gangster, had a flashback of when his hyung also rescued him when he was young. Both DH and SO lost their brothers; but I feel that their meeting together and the circumstances that they would face together would somehow be a means that the void and the longing for their lost brothers would be filled: DH for his brother and SO for his hyung. I am looking forward to the bromance as SO's fear of DH and DH's anger towards SH would slowly be changed with brotherly love... 

Looking at the pics from the shooting of 2d1n and looking at our cutie in long sleeves while others are not (I assumed that he was instructed to do so for GD) just makes me admire him more...I know he must feel so warm with those clothes but he still manages to smile that oh so sexy and dimpled smile...

Sina – Korean Entertainment Weekly Star: Joo Won removes labeling with his acting skills

GD1_zpsdb0ae44d.jpg

Photo: Through quality drama after quality drama, Joo Won has become Korea’s hottest actor.

In the entertainment world, where the old is speedily replaced with the new, popularity is never guaranteed and may last only for a short time. A star may be making headline news today but could be replaced by a newcomer tomorrow. However, no matter where their journey as a celebrity leads them to, the star’s most brilliant moment should always be remembered. Sina – Korean Entertainment Weekly Star will touch you with a showcase of a star’s journey to success.

Earlier on, the media did a report on all the Korean actors who were born in 1987. These actors are aggressively making their presence felt and taking possession of the Korean drama world. Not only do these actors who are in their 20s possess attractive appearances, they also they have also won the hearts of countless audiences with their excellent acting.

Amongst these actors is one who had been known as Kang Dong Won – TOP before his debut. This is Joo Won, who has in recent years successfully removed the label of “lookalike” through his charismatic portrayal of various contrasting personalities through the dramas he has taken on.  Along with his well-known humility and good manners, Joo Won has become one of the hottest male actors around.

Good Doctor, a drama in which Joo Won is presently starring in as one of the lead characters, is enjoying immense popularity presently. Since the beginning of its broadcast, Good Doctor has beaten all the other dramas in the same time slot to win the highest ratings. Joo Won’s character in Good Doctor has received praise from the audience. Through this role, Joo Won not only challenges his own acting skills, he has also gained recognition from a wider group of audience. This week’s Weekly Star is Joo Won!

GD2_zps193dcd01.jpg

Photo: Joo Won plays the role of one who is diagnosed with autism in his new drama. He fleshes out his mature and sophisticated acting skills.

Maturing quickly, astounding evolvement of acting skills

Majority of the audience that knows Joo Won met him from his very first role, in which he acted as a villain. National drama Baker King, Kim Tak Gu received over 50% viewership ratings. This drama not only allowed Yoon Shi Yoon to make a sweeping at various award ceremonies, it also allowed the second lead, Joo Won, who was making his debut as a television drama actor in this very first drama he starred in, to leave a deep impression on the hearts of the audience. Gu Ma Jun became a character that allowed Joo Won to achieve his first peak in his acting career. Whilst others have appeared only as part of the supporting cast as newcomers, Joo Won came back to the screen with family drama Ojakyo Brothers, once achieving ratings as high as 35%. Although it would be a stretch to say that these ratings are all due only to Joo Won being in the drama, it is undeniable that the love-hate relationship between Joo Won and Uee took up a big part of the Ojakyo Brothers storyline. Right after Ojakyo Brothers, Joo Won continued to hit the screen with noir drama Bridal Mask and comedy Level 7 Civil Servant. It can be said that all dramas in which Joo Won has starred in have managed to achieve good ratings.

With such stellar track record, Joo Won has become one of the actors to be known as “ratings guarantee”.  In Good Doctor, Joo Won challenges the role of a savant who has autism. This character is vastly different from the previous roles Joo Won has portrayed, such as the patriotic Lee Kangto, hot-blooded detective Hwang Tae Hee and stubborn and headstrong 2nd generation chaebol Han Gil Ro. Not only does Joo Won have to change the manner in which he speaks, he also has to take care of various other details such as walking and eating, all of which must correspond to the character Joo Won is playing. This is no easy task, given that if Joo Won exaggerates his actions by just a bit more, his acting will no longer be natural. To prepare for the role of Park Shi On, Joo Won diligently read voluminous books related to autism and savant syndrome and also watched various movies. After doing all necessary preparations, based on his own understanding of his role, Joo Won engaged and moved the audience with his well-balanced portrayal of the autistic savant genius Park Shi On, who is someone who lives in his own world as if he is Peter Pan. If one says that in Baker King Kim Tak Gu, Joo Won’s acting skills were still raw, after acting in his subsequent dramas, Joo Won’s acting skills have now improved at a shocking rate and his natural and engaging acting in Good Doctor has won over many audience. Acting alongside senior actors who exude their charisma on screen, Joo Won has managed to absorb various different methods of acting and internalize them into a set of skills best suited for himself and at the same time exuding a unique charisma that only Joo Won possesses. It is certain that with the passage of time, we will be able to see an even more amazing transformation of Joo Won’s acting skills.

GD3_zpsf943b4f8.jpg

Photo: Joo Won is widely known in the entertainment circle as one who is humble and well-mannered.

Humble and well-mannered, possessing a good reputation in the entertainment circle

In the entertainment circle, Joo Won is famous for being well-mannered. Even though he has acted in many dramas which received high viewership ratings, Joo Won has not changed in the way he treats the people around him. In his worldview, the most important virtue is to be respectful and well-mannered. One of the reasons why Joo Won has such a good reputation is that he always humbly accepts the opinions of others, especially when it comes from his seniors. Amongst all the actors he has worked with, Uhm Tae Woong, Park Ki Woong, Uee, Choi Kang Hee and several other actors have all naturally shown their affection for Joo Won. In the variety show 1 Night 2 Days, it is not difficult to see that maknae Joo Won is doted upon by all his seniors, which is again another proof of how widely loved Joo Won is.

Joo Won once said: “Even since I was young, my parents have always taught me that being respectful, well-mannered and punctual are what I must always abide by. From the time I started going to school to when I started acting in musicals and then to now in every drama that I act in, I have always remembered my parents’ teaching. Although these are very simple things, I have always treated them seriously.”

GD4_zpsa52fc0fb.jpg

Photo: Joo Won is a family centered good guy

The family guy, his mother’s friend and son

Regardless of what problems he may face, Joo Won’s family is his reliable safe-habour and shelter. As the maknae in his family, Joo Won is very close to his mother. During the filming of 1 Night 2 Days, there was once when the crew visited Joo Won’s house without prior warning given to Joo Won’s family. Throughout the episode, Joo Won was constantly by his mother’s side showing lots of aegyo. This side of Joo Won was a complete image reversal from the roles he had portrayed so far. Different from the other stars who like to party and lead exciting lives, Joo Won’s life once he finishes work becomes surprisingly simple. When Joo Won has free time, he loves to spend it at home reading a book of drinking coffee. Even with his popularity now, Joo Won still goes to play soccer with his father and elder brother, after which they would proceed to a public bathhouse, showing no airs of a celebrity at all.

To this, Joo Won has also expressed his thought that he joined this profession because of his love and passion for acting. It is a good thing to be loved by fans but he would not make changes to his life just to become more popular.

Source: Sina.com (allenlu), Joo Won Baidu Tieba

Photo credits: KBS, Sina.com, Mountia

English translation: Mojobobo @ Soompi Forums

Note: Please do not take out without proper credits. No copyright infringement is intended. Please do excuse me if the translation isn't too great as it has been awhile since I've properly translated anything.