Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

“Good Doctor”  Joo Won’s acting is supported by sunbaes

h5e9.jpg

The press conference of KBS2 Mon/Tue drama “Good Doctor” was held in the Mary Hall of St Mary Hospital in Seoul on 31 July, Joo Won revealed “ I am doing my best with support of hyung and noona”.

Joo Won is playing a young man Park Shi On who has savant syndrome with developmental disorder prone to autism.  The story is about how he goes through the process to overcome the prejudice from the world and to become a paediatrician.   Joo Won said, “this is a character which any actor wants to play.  It is hard to play an autistic-oriented person who memorizes and spits out medical jargon as fast as the speed of a computer.  Because there isn’t any role model of a character with autistic tendency, it is a burden to make a new character.   It is not to the extent like getting hair loss due to stress in “Gaksital”.  As there is no correct answer to acting, it is very hard.  However the sense of burden is gradually being eased off from support of PD and sunbaes, their compliments  become my strength and I can do my acting passionately."

Co-stars Joo Sang Wook highly praises Joo Won for his acting ability “In the beginning, I was interested to see how Joo Won was going to express.  Even he was concerned about it but the Shi On he plays is leading up to loveliness and sympathy.  It looks like the purity which Joo Won possesses plays a big role.”

The premiere episode of “Good Doctor” will be broadcast at 10pm on 5 August after  “Shark”.

Source and credit  http://contents.innolife.net/news/list.php?ac_id=4&ai_id=170282

Side note:  Joo Won did not have a hair loss, it is Joo Sang Wook who is suffering from hair loss on the back of his head due to stress from filming "Ten 2" and now "Good Doctor".  He is currently receiving treatment once a week.http://contents.innolife.net/news/list.php?ac_id=4&ai_id=170258
I guess you may be able to find relative news in his soompi thread.

Guest jjsweeter0211

Joo Won Was Mistaken as Kang Dong Won by Fans

These are the problems that arise when you’re ridiculously good looking.

In a recently recording of KBS’ Happy Together, Joo Won appeared along with the handsome cast of KBS’ upcoming drama, Good Doctors

41134296.jpg

Nicknamed Kang Dong Won’s doppelganger, Joo Won shared a time when fans rushed over to him, thinking he was the actor himself. 

He explained that he went to a concert when one fan yelled, “It’s Kang Dong Won!” causing a large crowd of fans to surround him. 

“The female students really thought I was Kang Dong Won and took my bag and hat,” said Joo Won on the startling event. “My friend, who was with me at the time, was so shocked that he naturally began to protect me, causing the fans to believe he was the manager and I was really Kang Dong Won. More fans rushed towards us.”

Kim Young Gwang, who was also a guest, shared that people thought he looked a bit like Lee Seung Gi. Upon the MC’s request, the model-turned-actor sang a snippet of Lee Seung Gi’s song. 

The episode will air on August 1. 

Photo Credit: Elle, Edwin

jjsweeter0211 said:

Joo Won Was Mistaken as Kang Dong Won by Fans

These are the problems that arise when you’re ridiculously good looking.

In a recently recording of KBS’ Happy Together, Joo Won appeared along with the handsome cast of KBS’ upcoming drama, Good Doctors

Nicknamed Kang Dong Won’s doppelganger, Joo Won shared a time when fans rushed over to him, thinking he was the actor himself. 

He explained that he went to a concert when one fan yelled, “It’s Kang Dong Won!” causing a large crowd of fans to surround him. 

“The female students really thought I was Kang Dong Won and took my bag and hat,” said Joo Won on the startling event. “My friend, who was with me at the time, was so shocked that he naturally began to protect me, causing the fans to believe he was the manager and I was really Kang Dong Won. More fans rushed towards us.”

Kim Young Gwang, who was also a guest, shared that people thought he looked a bit like Lee Seung Gi. Upon the MC’s request, the model-turned-actor sang a snippet of Lee Seung Gi’s song. 

The episode will air on August 1. 

Photo Credit: Elle, Edwin

I just watched the Chinese subbed video of Joo Won's interview on Baidu. Many of the points were covered in the article I translated yesterday and also in the above feature in innolife post by @manyearsago.

In addition, Joo Won shared that the subject matter is one of the most challenging. Many people in Korea do not understand what autism is. The image that comes to their minds is closer to the character his hyung, Hyun Joon(Shin Hyun Joon who played Kangsan in Bridal Mask)'s character Ki Bong in the movie <Barefoot Ki Bong>. Howvever, the fact is that autism is such a wide spectrum that each individual exhibit autistic behavior in different ways. When he first read the script, he also thought likewise and wondered if Si On suffers such a level of autism, how can he be a doctor? But to portray him as normal is also not possible.

Before he started filming this drama, he met up with some autistic people and were amazed by how "normal" they look and sound when they greeted him. This was a fresh revelation to him. He thinks that autistic people has most difficulty maintaining eye contact when they converse. During filming, he will listen to the PD and those around for guidance and fine tune his acting accordingly.

This confirms that besides the production team, writer, PD, Joo Won did his research and talked to autistic people first hand. I had guessed he had done do despite his workhorse schedule because we all know the type of actor he is. Still, it is satisfying to know that Joo Won, himself is very aware of of the misconceptions in regards with autism and how difficult it is to portray an autistic character because the spectrum is so wide. Some parts will no doubt be influenced by the writer and how the PD wants it to be and the rest will be up to the genius of this man. If the highlights video is anything to go by, I am already standing on my feet, giving him an ovation.