Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

mrdimples said: maginterview6_zps5a863f2e.jpg

JW: Ai…this kind of thinking, seems like I have never had before-hahaha! Actually, with regards to this drama, surprisingly the viewers did not make comparisons with the movie version. Perhaps, after watching the 1st episode, they realized that these 2 productions are totally different, haha!

COOL: Before you took part in your first drama “Baker King Kim Tak Gu”, you already had 3 years of experience in musicals, what do you think your musical career has given you?

JW: Musicals……mm…In my musical career, I became the “Most Important” Joo Won, hahahaha! Because there was one musical that left me with the deepest impression. In that musical, I had 150 performances; it spanned an entire 6 months. I couldn’t allow myself to get sick, even if I did, I still had to perform. Actually, the other characters had 3 or 4 actors at any one time and they will rotate among themselves. However, I was the only one in my role. So from the beginning till the end, I always had to be on stage. There was once, my fever hit 39 degrees, I still had no choice but to perform. Because of that, I always have this sense of responsibility. The musical should not fail because of you; the story line should not go haywire because of your fault. You can’t stand there on stage and show your weakness or give the impression of weakness. Through musicals I learned a lot about life. (nodding his head)

COOL: We feel that when you are in the role of a musical actor, you looked fulfilled and you work very earnestly on stage. What led you to become a drama/movie actor? To this day, do you prefer to be a movie/drama actor or to be a musical actor?

JW: Perhaps at that time, my personality changed. I was very busy with my performances, on top of it, I was still a student; I spoke less and my parents got worried. Then I went to university to study performing arts and as I studied, I thought I should try out acting in drama or movie, I wanted to hone my acting skills. With these thoughts, I debut in my first drama.  I also felt that being an actor, I should try all areas, whether it’s musicals, dramas or movies. I thought I should gather all these experiences as I try each one. So naturally, I will try whenever I have the opportunity. When I was acting in musicals, I also thought of acting in dramas and movies. So I just tried what I could along the way.

COOL: When we watched Joo Won’s works, there are many of which Although you weren’t the lead, your characters always have this charisma and they were also very popular. No matter how we look at it, it seems that this was not a coincidence but a deliberate choice on your part. Could it be that when you choose your role, you have set a standard of your own?

(this part is really blurred, I can’t make out most words and the edges were cut off, so a lot of guesswork ahead)

JW: Actually, there aren’t many of such situations. When I came across a character, I would think: “Oh, so this is his background, this is his fate and this is his personality, I do not like. There are many like these. However, this is not the best way to go about it. Take “Go Ma Jun” for an example, there are many aspects of him which makes one feel pity and heartache for him. I would find all these areas and make myself feel for the character.  In reality, when we were filming “Baker King Kim Tak Gu” I felt that “Go Ma Jun” was more appealing to me than “Kim Tak Gu”. Because his character had depth and as I delved into him, I developed feelings and love for the character. Hence, I could grasp the role better and acted it well.

COOL: Because you acted in many excellent productions, what was your deepest impression when you received the highly acclaimed “Rookie Actor” award?

JW: Ah, my deepest impression was the awards ceremony.

COOL: At that time, you didn’t know you would get the award? Wasn’t there a rehearsal?

JW: I didn’t know. At that time, I was curious to death. So when I went on stage to receive the award, I was in a shock and just said “ Thank you” hahaha! Although I attended the ceremony, I wasn’t thinking too much of winning the award, I thought if I win it, I would be very happy but if I did not, I would just go “Ai, what a pity” So when I went up to receive the award, I was perturbed because I thought this ceremony is very significant on our national level and to think that I could actually stand here to receive an award, isn’t it amazing? It was a magnificent moment for an actor receiving the award to be standing on that stage.

maginterview7_zps6609d5ba.jpg

PINK = Maknae + Lovable

COOL: When Joo Won became a member of 1N2D, it really came as a surprise. You don’t have the experience or participated in variety shows and moreover, you have never been part of a variety group. Is this your first time appearing on a variety show?

JW: Yes, it’s my first time.

COOL: Everyone is curious as to the process which you got confirmed on the show and why did you decide to join the 1N2D?

JW: First and foremost, the biggest factor in my decision to participate in the show was that in variety, I get to show my true personality, the real me. This is where it differs greatly from dramas or movies. I have always been an ardent fan of variety shows since I was in university. So with this impression and when the opportunity presented itself, I felt that I should not miss it. Moreover, I had the confidence to do well and also to do better, so with these in mind, I decided to participate.

COOL: We are actually quite concerned. On one hand, you are busy filming a drama and movie, on the other you have to rush to film the variety show. In the course of it all, do you have problem in terms of energy level?

JW: The most difficult isn’t that the programs are too closely paced, it is not having a script and you are being filmed 24 hours on end. There is a feeling of being monitored so it can be really tiring.

COOL: There are similarities in variety, drama and movie in terms of playing a character. In dramas and movies, you are playing a certain character; in variety, you are actually also playing a character except that this “character” originates from your own personality. Have you ever thought of the type of “character” you wish to use to market yourself in variety?

JW: Regarding “marketing”, I have never thought of it. This show has allowed me to meet more people and for more people to know me. Although I do not know what kind of impression I have given but through this show, I have displayed many sides of myself. Actually I feel that this is rather good. Although previously, people know me through dramas that were aired, it is through variety that everyone understands my inadequacies. And perhaps because I displayed many different aspects of me,  people feel that I am an actor who has many charms. 

COOL: On 1N2D, you are the maknae, do you feel any burden or feel fatigued?

JW: No, not at all.

COOL: Don’t you have any complains or grievances?

JW: Actually it’s very natural because I am the maknae. So it’s only natural. Often I will help/ get certain things ready for hyungs and make everyone happier. In front of my hyungs, I will also be obedient, isn’t it natural to be so? Even if I am very tired, everyone is doing the same task, I am tired, hyungs will also be tired. Whatever I am doing, hyungs are also doing, everybody is trying their best. This is the meaning of being a team. Hyungs have their roles and I have mine so it’ll be fine just going with flow, there really isn’t anything to complain about.

COOL: 1N2D is something like a travelogue, you have traveled and been to villages, towns that are rich in Korean customs. Can you recommend 3 places of interest to China Fans- you can’t include Seoul! (reminder)

JW: Ah, 2? Then it’s Jeju ah

(softly reminding..): 3, 3!

JW: Woah, woah, 3 ah? The it’s Jeju and Jecheon 

COOL: Where is that?

JW: Cheongbuk Jecheon, Cheongbuk Jecheon, Cheong, Buk, Je, Cheon (emphasize each one), and Cheorwon.

COOL: Gangwon Cheorwon?

JW: Yes, so that’s 3.

maginterview8_zpsff164181.jpg

Orange = (Original) Self + Ideal

COOL: Do you have any actor who you admire and what attracted you to this person?

JW: I always know my answer to this question, without doubt, it’s my teacher. My teacher has been in this profession for 50, 60 years, he has really devoted himself to acting.  He really thoroughly studies and respects this work. I have been thinking that although now, I am very interested in acting, I do not know if I can be like my teacher with so much respect for this profession and always works hard, going about accomplishing it as if it is his life. Although I cannot be certain, I hope I can be like my teacher.

COOL: Joo Won’s previous works have been very successful. As an actor, he has also received recognition from viewers. Does he feel that there is some area or target which he has yet to achieve?

JW: I lack in many areas. For example, I lack experience, this is very obvious. Also, I do not have many works. Actually, the difference in acting between the 20ers, the 30ers and 40ers is so obvious that you can tell straightaway. I hope from now on, I can act more naturally.

COOL:  And your goal is?

JW: My goal is ….(stops for 15 secs) is this….(stops for 10 secs) I hope that whoever who watches the character I play or the drama will instantly feel drawn to my character and will be able to foster that kind of empathic (aargh..can’t read the words!) feelings.

COOL: Recently because of his travelling, Joo Won has been very busy, do you sometimes feel as if you are on verge of collapse? And when you are filming, have you ever thought that “I can’t take it anymore”

JW: Ah…I think I have always been busy. But because previously I wasn’t the main lead so my parts weren't that strenuous. But this time in “7th Level Civil Servant” I felt it. I was filming non-stop for 7 days a week, it felt as if there wasn’t a moment where I wasn’t filming- - Ah ah, but in the end the result was good so all the fatigue disappeared. So to me, although the process can be very tiring but if the results are good, all the tiredness are not important any more. But if it’s due to filming that I can’t get any sleep or XX is no good, then it’s really very tough(his voice drops to a low. He must have suffered a lot!)

COOL: You aren’t able to rest well when you are working so on your rest days, do you stay at home and sleep? If you have rest time, do you prefer to be yourself or spend it with a group of friends?

JW: I’d spend it alone

COOL: Actually Joo Won’s appearance looks a bit cold and detached but in reality he is a very gentle and passionate youth. Did you notice that disparity about yourself? Has anyone commented that you don’t look approachable?

JW: Hahaha! (suddenly bursting into laughter) Is it? It seems so, right? Actually I am a person who really really wants to love and receive love. If you do not care about me or give me love, it’s still all right. But if there is someone who hates me, I will really feel very very hurt. Even if there is one person who says he hates me, I will feel terrible and then I will be thinking to myself  “Why does he not like me?” Also, because I like to receive love and care from others, I will likewise give a lot of love and care to others. (I can’t read this part clearly but it’s worth trying : at this moment Cool is feeling very wonderful, especially when a 1.85m tall man is telling you such things….)

COOL: What does Joo Won think himself? Is he the type that is “easy to deal with?” or “hard to handle”

Staff(cannot control themselves): Easy to deal with!

JW: Hahahaha! You all think I am easy to deal with? I am the mild and gentle type.  

COOL: To you, what is the original aspiration of an actor?

JW: Purity

COOL: In which aspect? Acting?

JW: Yes, acting too. Although it’s very glamorous to receive things like awards but some things will gradually go away. Actually, it is all right not to receive any award, even if you are the runner-up, it doesn’t matter. More than these, I want to treasure those things that are precious to me and protect them. Just like those young children, because their minds are very clean and pure, so their acting resonates easily and are very inspirational. So to me, my aspiration is purity.

COOL: Under what circumstances, will you stop acting?

JW: Till I die

COOL: To this day, do you have any area of doubt with regards to acting as a career?

JW: In fact, I have been thinking what is acting all about? Whenever I act a character, I will try my best to immerse myself in the character. When I finished filming the drama, I will feel as though my body is very empty and my head hurts a lot, I feel really terrible all over. Because it’s like I have become him, I have become another of myself with a different life. It’s very difficult to withdraw suddenly so because of this, I suffered every time. Hence, I have been wondering what is the attraction and appeal of acting, very curious, too curious about it.

COOL: What is the biggest difference between Joo Won the actor and Joo Won the variety show person?

JW: Variety show Joo Won - - maknae? Yes, maknae. Actor Joo Won is - - brave person, dare to take challenges in various roles, hahaha!

COOL: Do you think you are the type of actor who is hardworking or naturally gifted?

JW: I think I am the hardworking type. Till now, I feel that my acting has many problems and weaknesses. In the future, I will progressively, step by step, work hard towards improving my acting.

COOL: Finally, please give a greeting to Joo Won Fans through our magazine.

JW: To the readers of (Cool Music) Magazine, how are you? I am Joo Won. I greet everyone here. “7th Level Civil Servant” which I acted in is a very interesting drama and the character which I played is very fun, please follow closely, I wish everyone happiness.

~~ End~~

daydreamsindecember said:

jwonnie

wrote:

»

@daydreamsindecember

:Thank you so very much for translating that beautiful interview! You are truly fantastic and so talented! My oh my, how can one be so proficient in not 1, not even 2, but THREE languages! I'm amazed at your talent! But thank God he gave it to the right person! If not, people like me wont be so lucky to be able to know more about cutie! Many thanks once again! Lots of BIG hugs n kisses!

:-bd:-bd:-bd:-*

:-*:-*

@mrdimples: oh master yoda... what can I say.... ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ . Your dedication is truly and deeply appreciated! :-bd :-bd :-bd :-* :-*  :-*

What??? You started having problems with your eyes? Then your mouth? Then your heart? And then..... somewhere just above your legs? Ok Ok Ok! I will be your personal bodyguard n CLEAR OUT all the other patients and make sure you'll get the much needed URGENT attention from our dear Dr Cutie Moonie!

116_zpsce8916da.jpg

what? those aren't your symptoms? sincere apologies... guess my very own sub-conscious (and extremely moaty =P~ =P~ =P~ ) mind must have just made a Freudian slip! :-O :-O :-O

Guest padme

OMIII girls @mrdimples @daydreamsindecember you guys are so amazing cutiefans THANKS!! T___T ashdasjdjksadkjsakj ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^  i'm the same like @jwonnie :)>-  love how cutie put in every interview his passion for acting and what he loves the most! that's just awww i'm find myself in every interview amazed by his passion to acting! his determination is just beyond words ;0; and more than anything love how he doesn't choose an actor as someone to admire in that place he choose his TEACHER!!! man i'm without words with Joo won everytime I say myself he is such a humble boy he really deserve all *sorry if i'm be biased* but that's it Joo wonshii you make me so proud of you :-j  and thanks to @stearly  for the amazing gifs

Now without cutie permission! I would let you girls mrdimples and daydreamsindecember I'll let you guys give cutie a pat in his butt

:D B-) :D like Cha Taehyun in this gif xD

22928258.gif

you girls deserve that and more   :)>- then will come my turn xDD  

jwonnie said: @manyearsago: Thank you so very much for your BK promotion posts! I can see how much effort you had spent compiling and writing up both posts! They were indeed very detailed, systematic and extremely informative! Well done! hahaha... guess that's where you found out about his love for Japanese castellas! I am sure that will be one of the many other gifts you'll be bearing at the FM! Thanks again for all your hard work! :-bd :-bd :-bd :-* :-* :-*

mrdimples said: ATTENTION- FANARTS Needed

Gals, we need more fanarts for the album to make it look nicer.

Please post your fanarts or if you have come across someone else's fanart on this thread and would like to make a recommendation, please post but do remember to credit the person.

I know @septmoon, @latteholic, @stearly are good in this, I am probably missing some people here, so please come forth and make your contribution. Try your hand in fanart and have fun

stearly said: mrdimples said: ATTENTION- FANARTS Needed

Please post your fanarts or if you have come across someone else's fanart on this thread and would like to make a recommendation, please post but do remember to credit the person.

I know @septmoon, @latteholic, @stearly are good in this, I am probably missing some people here, so please come forth and make your contribution. Try your hand in fanart and have fun

mydeed said: ctfrsgp said:

mrdimples

wrote:

»

ATTENTION- FANARTS Needed

I know

@septmoon

@latteholic

@stearly

are good in this, I am probably missing some people here, so please come forth and make your contribution. Try your hand in fanart and have fun

Guest septmoon16

Omfg moon chae young is considering green scalpel?!!!!! That would be my ultimate OTP!

--- edited for visuals ^^

tumblr_mnkyerd1M61rmrx5jo2_500.giftumblr_mnkyerd1M61rmrx5jo1_500.gif
credit to chrissy & daegarr

Guest septmoon16

Hot off the press from DB:

Moon Chae-won offered lead in Green Scalpel

Ooh. Suddenly interested in Green Scalpel, although Moon Chae-won isn’t yet confirmed; she’s only said to be considering the drama. Still, she adds a dash of interest to the medical series starring Joo-won as an autistic savant who’s a surgical genius with the personality of a grade-schooler.

The role Moon Chae-won is up for is of a pediatric surgeon named Cha Yoon-seo, which should offer up an interesting dynamic between her and the lead. Cha Yoon-seo chooses to become a doctor after volunteering in a children’s cancer ward in high school, and with her hard work and brains she becomes an associate professor at a relatively young age. She’s got an easy-going personality with a tomboyish nature, which is a bit of a departure but also totally up her alley. Moon may have played chic and steely in Nice Guy and portrayed a proud princess in The Princess’s Man, but she’s got the ability to play approachable and artless as well.

Plus, while age is but a number in real-life romance, I do think it’s more interesting to give the hero a potential love interest whose age disparity is on an emotional level without also being reflected in their real ages. Were this a noona relationship where the heroine is older both physically and mentally, that would just feel like too much power imbalance for comfort. (Note: The drama description does not promise romance. However, you don’t cast Joo-won and Moon Chae-won and then ignore romance, do you? I’d be happy with a romance-less story of human bonding and relationships, but I’m not sure dramaland really knows how to do that yet.)

Well, let’s hope that Moon Chae-won accepts the offer, ’cause I love her and find her one of her generation’s more compelling actresses. Also, she keeps improving from project to project, which is a good sign in any actor. Also also, I’ve only ever liked Joo-won with one of his leading ladies (UEE) and found that the relationships greatly suffered when there wasn’t that spark. (Jin Se-yeon was very green next to him, and Choi Kang-hee was never paired with him in any drama or ever shall be, the end.) Fingers crossed that these two will have it.

Joo Won Exclusive Interview -Facing Sensibly, Moving forward with Astuteness (PART 3)

I am actually very 'sober' 

JW had stated early through the interview, "I do not wish to live for the fans, I only want to put in serious efforts and hard work into my job till the day I die. My wish is to act all my life. " As an actor, JW's opinions are perfectly justified. But in truth, those (actors) with and without fame stand worlds apart. An actor's popularity and his acting - it is hard for one to juggle both.  When you attain fame, you would have to face, amongst other problems, questions about your acting. There is no choice but to strive for everything. Whereas idol actors who do not possess superb acting skills tend to receive more attention and applause as compared to the evergreen actors who can act. To the currently popular JW, the question of how he balances the fine line between fame and acting is something unavoidable. Throughout the whole interview, as long as the mention of 'acting' comes up, you will find a mature and objective JW. He watches his dramas repeatedly and never fails to check on his own inadequacies. This is a JW who is actually well-aware that without popularity, one is unable to go far. However, if he had to choose, acting would always come first.     

Interview Segment

Q: How do you regard the equilibrium between acting and fame?

A: Of course for those who act, being popular is good. It's a blessing. But it's not right if you start to be obsessed (over popularity). First and foremost, it's a mistake to deliberately shape the character in a certain manner in order to achieve popularity. Basically, one should not hanker after fame too much. If you focus on acting, understand the character and bring it out, fame will come naturally. This is how I see it.   

Q: What is your first criteria when choosing scripts?

A: I am biased towards sad characters. When I look at such characters, I feel sympathy and start to ponder why they are like that. Following then my tears will flow involuntarily. Roles like these stir viewers' hearts more and besides, they are closer to what I tend to like. This is why sad characters entice me more.     

Q: May I ask when you are alone, do you download your works to watch?

A: I do, very often. Haha.

Q: Repeatedly?

A: Yes, it's interesting. Haha. To see how my acting is. Learning through this way is interesting so I watch them frequently.   

The sensitve Man-Child

A successful character transformation has brought about fame for JW; some assuming that the JW in real life is akin to the strong charismatic roles he played. This belief crumbles the moment you watch him in [1N2D]. JW simply is a childish and adorable aegyo-monster. This is not all unrelated to the fact that he receives plenty of love from his mother and elder brother as maknae. At times, JW chats with his mother like a daughter does or cries abruptly when recalling his shortfalls from his first relationship. You can say that the JW in real life is somewhat more sensitive than JW the actor. Now, he has returned to his longed-for musical stage with [GHOST] which he will immerse himself in mind and body. It will not be long before we can see a new side of JW. It is not an easy feat to have achieved that much for an actor who has only been in the industry for 3 years. Nevertheless, the journey as actor continues; let us accompany JW as he moves towards an even brighter future.

Interview Segment
Q: As a male, have you tried hard to do something to win a girl's affections?
A: I'm the straightforward type; some may think that it's too over-the-top; but I'm the type who will say like when I like, love when I love. Of course it would be great if the other party likes my way of expression.
Q: Everyone has weaknesses, if given a choice, what would you change?
A: I'm a little childish; that's probably both my weakness and strength. Perhaps it will disappear with age, right now my childish antics are still quite serious. But by the time I hit 30 I would have to be more mature and manly. My weakness is my childishness.
Q: What is your ideal type?
A: My ideal type....is someone whom I can respect and focuses on her own work. 
Q: I heard that your new movie [Only You] depicts the love story between a burglar and cop. You would be playing the cop who falls in love, right? With regards to this role, what can viewers expect to see? What would be the charm of this role?
A: Yes, this role is that of a perfect namja. He can read others but not this woman (laughs). A setup like this is actually very interesting. Because he fails to understand the woman, he is unable to punish her even when she does bad. Furthermore, whatever she does is deemed as adorable in his eyes, thus he has no way of punishing her. It's like this perfect person who is defeated by a woman.  
Q: You debuted as a musical actor, when would be the day you will return?
A: At the end of this year I have plans to return to the (musical) stage. This year? Yes, in November. 

---------END---------
(I will be posting up the entire interview for easy reading later)
Translation by: daydreamsindecember

(FULL INTERVIEW)
Joo Won Exclusive Interview - Facing Sensibly, Moving forward with Astuteness 
Writer's remarks:Rather than referring to this interview as a chance to sit down with Joo Won and talk about acting, roles and future opportunities, it is more of a 'test' - the JW who has played handsome flashy characters, does the aegyo well in programs, loves thinking, has ambition and possesses a willingness to work hard. Is he the same JW in real life?        
We chatted a lot during in the interview, from topics like his debut drama to this year's Level 7 Civil Servant as well as his upcoming movie and musical. The impression that JW gives to others is mature and frank, with a burning passion for acting. He candidly dishes out thoughts about his past immaturity, the journey so far and the new goals he has set his sights on. Every part speaks of JW's wisdom and level-headedness. He admits to not being able to change aspects of his childishness, of which some had been vexing for him. However, to those who like him, it is EXACTLY the kind of JW they love.
From "Baker King's Brother" to "The People's Hero" 
There is never any JW interview that does not have mention of the 3 dramas - [baker King Kim Tak Gu], [Ojakgyo Brothers] and [bridal Mask]. Audiences who are familiar with JW will understand that Gu Ma Joon, Huang Tae Hee and Lee Kang To aren’t merely characters he has played before. Rather, they are his three ‘wild cards’. To someone who has only been in the industry for 3 years, the 3 roles have successfully enabled JW to make the leap from being popular to becoming a bona fide actor. 

JW's Gu Ma Joon was a secondary character and he did not manage to win any accolades for it. Using own words, he describes his debut as being ”hardly watchable”.  Nevertheless, it is because of Baker King Kim Tak Gu that made people take notice and aided his subsequent growth as actor.  Ultimately - as the saying goes, “Anything that is gold will shine”.

Interview Segment

Q: I heard that you were given the role of Ma Joon [baker King Kim Tak Gu] by the drama scriptwriter.  Did you ask about what she saw in you during/after filming?

A:  The scriptwriter said she chose me because of my eyes.  In the beginning, when she had asked if we (the auditionees) would be able to do well in this, I was the only one who answered eyes wide open without a moment’s hesitation.  The others stuttered or faltered in their answers. Later, the author commented that she had chosen the right person.

Q: [baking King Kim Tak Gu] was your first foray into the industry from musicals to television. There were some (viewers) who felt like you overacted in certain emotional scenes.  This could be linked to your prior stage experience, how then do you see your performance in this drama?

A:  So bad that it's hardly watchable (laughs). Thank goodness the audience feedback was quite favorable, and that gave me a lot of encouragement. I was very young and a newbie who knew nothing. My acting was that of a total noob. However, I took acting (in the drama) seriously. I acted hard with a mindset of wanting to do well.

Q: The KBS family weekend sitcom [Ojakgyo Brothers] had extremely high ratings, what has the success of the drama done for you? For example, the different age spectrums of the viewers since the drama aired at a time (10pm) where the elders would be watching. Did that help?

A:  It is certain that the drama exposed me to many different viewers. Through it I was able to show a comfortable and natural JW.  The elders like these (family dramas) more (than other genres). Comparing the roles between OB and BKKTG, Tae Hee is indeed slightly more likable. Because of that everyone loved me.

Q: [bridal Mask] which you acted in last year received critical acclaim.  I recall the character Lee Kang To required many song and dance scenes.  Were these scenes done impromptu (i.e ad-libs), or prepared with training beforehand?

A:  In the short span of time, I had actually learnt similar steps. However, filming for scenes like these needs (my) confidence. My experience with musicals was a big help, it was very useful to have had sung and danced simultaneously on stage.

Writer's Remarks:

The JW in real life is an emotional-centric (i.e high EQ) person who exudes an easygoing and sensitive air. But as long as the topic of acting is mentioned, JW reverts to being calm and astute. 

Joo Won who does not portray different sides of himself deliberately

In most of his past projects JW portrayed cool, mature and heavy characters that left audiences with similar impressions. You can say that these roles have become a trademark. There are some (actors) who shape their own characters, some who give it luster. JW is the latter. It is because of him that Han Gil Ro in Level 7 Civil Servant was made wonderful. JW's uniqueness had turned the drama into THE defining project that changed his image. At the end of it, what surprises viewers is the Joo Won who is a little playful and a little rascal-like. Despite that he says he did not take up the role of Han Gil Ro with the intention of wanting to show a different side of himself.

Interview Segment

Q: The acting displayed in [7LCS] must have been a result of experience being slowly accumulated from the start. Has there been any big improvement?

A: Acting-wise it is definitely easier to grasp as compared to a newbie. The most important thing in dramas is the camera; once I gradually got a sense of the camera and understood the system it was easier for me (when acting). 

Q: So what if I let you reenact the role of Gu Ma Joon in [bKKTG]?

A: I would have definitely acted better than before. Though I'm not sure what my forte is, I would have portrayed the character with greater ease. 

Q: Your female lead Choi Kang Hee and you have a 10 year age gap. Did you feel the difference in age during filming? 

A: I never ever felt the 10 year age difference. Kang Hee noona is really young and very adorable. She even looks younger than me. Very young at heart and very cute. There was no difference felt at all.

Q: The Han Gil Ro in [L7CS] is cheeky and adorable. This was a huge turnaround in contrast to your previous roles in [bKKTG] and [bridal Mask]. Did you pick the drama to try playing fresh new characters?

A: Not exactly; the main reason why I chose this drama was because of my attraction towards the character. I did not intentionally want to portray different sides of myself and pick a drama to accomplish that purpose. This is the same for all other dramas; I liked the role of Han Gil Ro and that was why I undertook this.
Q: Uhm Tae Woong did a cameo in [L7CS] in the early episodes. Could you briefly talk about what his appeal is (as sunbae) in your eyes?
A: Tae Woong hyung is totally different from reel life and real life. That's his charm. He makes you believe (in the drama); if there is a drama that he will appear in, he becomes the secret weapon. He gives a feeling that the show is not to be missed. He is that type of actor, and so he is a hyung-nim who very much deserves my respect. 
Q: [L7CS] is very funny and romantic with numerous scenes of Han Gil Ro confessing his love for Kim Seo Won. Many people felt that these scenes were cool and touching. Does the JW in real life really know women's hearts as much?
A: In actual fact I don't understand at all; it drives me crazy! A woman's heart should be the most difficult thing in the world to understand, I guess I probably will never ever fully.

I am actually very 'sober' 

JW had stated early through the interview, "I do not wish to live for the fans, I only want to put in serious efforts and hard work into my job till the day I die. My wish is to act all my life. " As an actor, JW's opinions are perfectly justified. But in truth, those (actors) with and without fame stand worlds apart. An actor's popularity and his acting - it is hard for one to juggle both.  When you attain fame, you would have to face, amongst other problems, questions about your acting. There is no choice but to strive for everything. Whereas idol actors who do not possess superb acting skills tend to receive more attention and applause as compared to the evergreen actors who can act. To the currently popular JW, the question of how he balances the fine line between fame and acting is something unavoidable. Throughout the whole interview, as long as the mention of 'acting' comes up, you will find a mature and objective JW. He watches his dramas repeatedly and never fails to check on his own inadequacies. This is a JW who is actually well-aware that without popularity, one is unable to go far. However, if he had to choose, acting would always come first.     

Interview Segment

Q: How do you regard the equilibrium between acting and fame?

A: Of course for those who act, being popular is good. It's a blessing. But it's not right if you start to be obsessed (over popularity). First and foremost, it's a mistake to deliberately shape the character in a certain manner in order to achieve popularity. Basically, one should not hanker after fame too much. If you focus on acting, understand the character and bring it out, fame will come naturally. This is how I see it. 

Q: What is your first criteria when choosing scripts?

A: I am biased towards sad characters. When I look at such characters, I feel sympathy and start to ponder why they are like that. Following then my tears will flow involuntarily. Roles like these stir viewers' hearts more and besides, they are closer to what I tend to like. This is why sad characters entice me more.     

Q: May I ask when you are alone, do you download your works to watch?

A: I do, very often. Haha.

Q: Repeatedly?

A: Yes, it's interesting. Haha. To see how my acting is. Learning through this way is interesting so I watch them frequently.   

The sensitive Man-Child

A successful character transformation has brought about fame for JW; some assuming that the JW in real life is akin to the strong charismatic roles he played. This belief crumbles the moment you watch him in [1N2D]. JW simply is a childish and adorable aegyo-monster. This is not all unrelated to the fact that he receives plenty of love from his mother and elder brother as maknae. At times, JW chats with his mother like a daughter does or cries abruptly when recalling his shortfalls from his first relationship. You can say that the JW in real life is somewhat more sensitive than JW the actor. Now, he has returned to his longed-for musical stage with [GHOST] which he will immerse himself in mind and body. It will not be long before we can see a new side of JW. It is not an easy feat to have achieved that much for an actor who has only been in the industry for 3 years. Nevertheless, the journey as actor continues; let us accompany JW as he moves towards an even brighter future.

Interview Segment
Q: As a male, have you tried hard to do something to win a girl's affections?
A: I'm the straightforward type; some may think that it's too over-the-top; but I'm the type who will say like when I like, love when I love. Of course it would be great if the other party likes my way of expression.
Q: Everyone has weaknesses, if given a choice, what would you change?
A: I'm a little childish; that's probably both my weakness and strength. Perhaps it will disappear with age, right now my childish antics are still quite serious. But by the time I hit 30 I would have to be more mature and manly. My weakness is my childishness.
Q: What is your ideal type?
A: My ideal type....is someone whom I can respect and focuses on her own work. 
Q: I heard that your new movie [Only You] depicts the love story between a burglar and cop. You would be playing the cop who falls in love, right? With regards to this role, what can viewers expect to see? What would be the charm of this role?
A: Yes, this role is that of a perfect namja. He can read others but not this woman (laughs). A setup like this is actually very interesting. Because he fails to understand the woman, he is unable to punish her even when she does bad. Furthermore, whatever she does is deemed as adorable in his eyes, thus he has no way of punishing her. It's like this perfect person who is defeated by a woman.  
Q: You debuted as a musical actor, when would be the day you return?
A: At the end of this year I have plans to return to the (musical) stage. This year? Yes, in November. 

---------END---------
Translation by: daydreamsindecember
  • Like 1