Guest Hanjae

Okay, in celebration of our Faithling home being restored, I have finished up my discussion of the sword! Just in time so that I wouldn't have to post it tomorrow, or @sia3 would redirect her tomato hurling from @shengvang to me for slowing down the recap and that simply won't do. ;))

Choi Young: At the Crossroads

eBIW15H.jpg

This scene with Choi Young standing at his life's crossroads is the climax of his personal journey, the culmination of all the trials and decisions that had brought him to this point. I had previously cited two factors that were vital in Young's eventual success in overcoming his shaking hand and shaken resolve. After further consideration, I would like to clarify these two points with the addition of a third factor that I had neglected to mention: Young's renewed conviction to continue as a warrior in the service of the king.

Eun Soo's Influence and Gongmin's Support
Over the course of the drama, we had observed the way Eun Soo's enjoyment of life initially perplexed Young, but gradually motivated him to change his own bleak outlook on life. It is perhaps Eun Soo's plea for him to value his life in Episode 12, combined by her determination to live and be happy even in the face of near-certain death, that had the greatest impact on Young. Eun Soo's courage was a source of inspiration for Young and the first crucial motivating factor in conquering the challenge to his resolve.

SfKbEAl.jpg

The second factor was Gongmin's support and understanding, which alleviated Young's burden. As a warrior and general he would always carry the burden of many lives on his shoulders - of having to kill in order to protect - but the brunt of his struggle arose from being unable to protect those who needed him, torn between the differing interests of love and duty. A major turning point came in Episode 22, when Gongmin realized the heavy weight he had placed upon Young by forcing the latter alone to shed blood to achieve the justification he wanted, while simultaneously rendering Young helpless to protect Eun Soo by forbidding him to wreak vengeance upon those who posed danger to her. It is ironic that Young saved the lives of many people with his "last stand," but was unable to protect the one person he cared about above all. As Gongmin acknowledged to Noguk later, Eun Soo wasn't just a woman to Young, but his entire reason for existence; only after meeting Eun Soo did life return to Young's eyes. Gongmin, in order to be a truly good king, must therefore protect what is important to his valued friend and subject rather than forcing him to make an impossible choice. It was only when Gongmin finally understood this weight upon Young's shoulders and offered support rather than tests of loyalty that Young was able to balance the best interests of both. I find it fitting that the two parties at the root of Young's struggle, Eun Soo and Gongmin, also provided him with the tools with which he found his solution.

Conviction
The third crucial factor is Young's renewed conviction in his duty as a general and leader of the Wudalchi. Regaining the strength to pick up his sword again was merely the first step; without renewed purpose and belief in what he was doing, it would nevertheless have been an uphill struggle to break free of the indifference that had marked his previous seven years of service. Part of Young's struggle was rooted in his lack of conviction; he had carried out Gongmin's orders because that was his duty and not because he believed in those decisions. The importance of this factor is perfectly illustrated by Eun Soo's joie de vivre - she does not only "survive" but is able to live life fully because she believes that her life has purpose.

"Don't you want to be king?"

UhcvHBr.jpg

Although Ki Chul's question was designed to challenge Young and drive a wedge between him and Gongmin, it was in the answer to this question that lay the key to Young's reawakening. While this appeared to be a transparent offer of temptation on the surface, what lurked at the heart of Ki Chul's question was an attack on Young's faith in his king and on Gongmin's faith in Young.

Earlier in the drama, Young had replied to the scholars that Gongmin is the first king he had chosen because of the potential that he saw in him, and this was rewarded as Gongmin transformed into a strong king who desired the best for his people. What ultimately enabled Young to finally answer the question that his master could only answer with his life, however, was Gongmin's faith in him and unconditional support. This, in turn, enabled Young to reward Gongmin's faith with his own trust and absolute loyalty. The very fact that Gongmin had refused to flee but chose to stand behind Young in support against Ki Chul was proof that this was a king who cared not only about the nation but individuals like Young himself; whatever challenges politics might pose, Gongmin is a king who would not just "toss [Young] into the boiling water" or treat him as a "hound." The king may not always make the correct decisions and Young may become frustrated as he had before, but their goals remain aligned - Gongmin seeking to protect Goryeo, while Young carries out and protects these ideals. As with so many obstacles in this drama, it is through faith that Young gains renewed conviction that his existence is not merely that of a easily-discarded tool, but one with meaning. He "already had a king."

Guest Gukja1430292028

Young-ah: Mommy, you and all my aunties still look like LMH. :))Gukja: Why? You don't LMH's pics? Young-ah: Not really. I like him with a pony tail better. :))Gukja: I thought you wanted to go see LMH in person. Young-ah: Yes, I do. I still want to sit on his lap and pull his ponytail. :))Gukja: Yes, I remember. Mommy does too. Young-ah: I know. I told you I'll scoot over for you. =))And who is this again **pointing at @sia3's avatar**?Gukja: Oh, that's Aunty Sailan @sia3. Young-ah: Ask Aunty Sailan @sia3 what she's eating? She's always eating when I see her. :))Gukja: Okay, I'll ask her later and let you know. ;))
@ad_faHello and welcome. :-hNice to meet you. :D
@vangsweetie637Since Young-ah is 5 I think he could be your niece's oppa. ;)) Too cute right! :x Oh and he saw your avatar again and goes "oh there's Aunty Sweet Bird. She's pretty." ;)) :D
@farstrepAwh...Young-ah says to thank Aunty Far Star for Dr. Eun Soo's hug. He says Dr. Eun Soo is pretty and touches the screen. :D:))

@myphim @Hanjae
I don't know, is it a poem, Hanjae?
Is this 文言文? If so, ahahahaha, you are definitely on your own. I have never needed to learn that in Chinese school.
Why can't they just write 床前明月光 on the screen, at least I know that one! =)) =)) =))

Bwahahaha, why is your mum not going to be pleased. It's really short, about 20 mintures.
@myphim, what do you think of How to train your dragon? :D

Guest myphim

Hanjae said:
@myphim
I'll have a look, but I can't promise anything because I've never been good at deciphering that sort of stuff. ;)) Chinese calligraphy, gah. Incidentally, my PhD supervisor wants me to timeline the history of calligraphy and papermaking within the next week. =))

Hello @ad_fa :-h Welcome to the Faith ship. Don't hesitate on sharing your thoughts on Faith as you watch the episodes ;)
@Gukja: Awww, once again, Young-ah is too adorable and cute :x >:D< Yes, since he is 5, he is Oppa :D it's too cute! And tell him Auntie Sweet Bird gets very happy when he says Auntie Sweet Bird is pretty :x

Guest Hanjae

@sia3
床前明月光 LOLLL =)) =)) I wish!

Poems/proverbs are always a safe bet when it comes to Chinese folding screens, and this sounds like it might be a poem. But don't quote me, @myphim, because I can't figure out what it says. I even dragged my mum in here just then and she read out a few words, pauses, and then goes, "...I don't know that word! :D" and ran out of my room. We might have to wave the white flag. :))

@Gukja
Go get yourself a box of tissue before you read what @Hanjae has thrown at us to babysit. :'(
iuPcCJaODl7tE.gif

P.S. Tell Young-ah, that is because I love food! :x

@Hanjae
Very well-written! :'(
I'll put it in the blog straight away, before I unglue my butt so I can start the movie.

Guest myphim

sia3 said:
Bwahahaha, why is your mum not going to be pleased. It's really short, about 20 mintures.
@myphim, what do you think of How to train your dragon? :D

Guest Hanjae

@sia3
You moved too fast! :)) I just discovered a few typos!

Since everyone seems to be watching movies, I'm going to go get something cold to drink and lie around because I'm sweating up a storm here. Why is it so hot again? :((

Hello, hello my Faithling friends!!!  :-h
@farstrep, @myphim, @LuvMinHo,@sia3, @vangsweetie,@gukja, @WutHmone,@kappy, @anomalous, @bobsavero, @yuuni, @dr25, @katymac, @shengvang, @Hanjae, @rrmski, @shengvang, @berliansiahaan, @Maja, @berliansiahaan, @mattie, @azzurri @rrmski, @minozlove, @awesomeduck and to everyone else.

I've missed you all! :-*
I've been a little busy lately. Hope you're not having posting problems here at the Faith thread. At the thread where I frequent lately, there has been some technical difficulties since last night. The posts wouldn't appear even if you have reloaded the page.

About the movie night...I'm afraid my friend can not make it again because of the early time schedule. She really wants to attend the movie night, but circumstances prevent her from joining us.

That's all for now. I brought muffins for everyone!  :D

blueberry-muffins.jpg

cr: as labeled

BTW, My Indonesians friends are happy because LMH is holding his fan meeting there today!
Bye Now!

Guest Gukja1430292028

OMG OMG OMG OMG @HanjaeRight after I post and refreshed, I see one long Richard Simmon post from uri PT @Hanjae. @-)Am I going to do this when I read it later? tumblr_lxuvj6mJ951rnq1l6o1_250.giftumblr_lxuvj6mJ951rnq1l6o1_250.giftumblr_lxuvj6mJ951rnq1l6o1_250.gif

Thank you, in advance, for feeding us again. :-*As always, I know I will love it. :x :x 
LOL @MajaNo, I'm not drunk. [-XOmo...I can see where his left hand is ;)) :P
OMG..is THAT what he changed into for the press con? ~X( Are you kidding me? X( X( X(Yes...talking to you there miss coordi noona. X( It's BUTTONED up too? :((I thought it was really hot there? What happened to shirtless? :((I've been waiting since last night. tumblr_lxuvj6mJ951rnq1l6o1_250.giftumblr_lxuvj6mJ951rnq1l6o1_250.giftumblr_lxuvj6mJ951rnq1l6o1_250.gif

Guest Gukja1430292028

@sia3I know. I have it all ready. You need some? It's probably too late for you, right? :))
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCgkzYvDxJ3scRA5S11RS

Thank you @sia3 @Maja for all those HD photos of hot smexy modern Daejang. :-*Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiish...when is he going to feel hot being in Indonesia? Time to pull a @Hanjae again. :))
i6kJR91FpAXUw.gif

I still don't feel better. Maybe I'll feel better if I kill @myphim's ex instead... :))
ibkAJ3JKC3GSat.gif
Daejang's on fire here...smoking HOT here too =P~ =P~ =P~Okay, I feel better. :D
Hello @pechumori :-hWelcome home. >:D<Thank you for the muffin. :-*

Hello @pechumori :-h how have you been? Aww, it's alright. Come and visit anytime you want. We will be here ;) As for your friend, tell her not to worry about it too much. There will still be plenty of more movie nights as well :D ah, yes, there was some problems earlier. We had a hard time posting. but it is okay now. :D
@Hanjae: I just started reading your post and I'm already :(( :((
@Gukja: Be prepared. You will for sure be doing this:
tumblr_lxuvj6mJ951rnq1l6o1_250.gif

@tigereyespeppy: See you later, Auntie Tigger :-h

Guest farstrep

@pechumori: Hello! :-h How have you been? Love the muffins. Thank you. :x

@tigereyespeppy: Talking about "Innocent Guy", I was very taken with a line LJK said to PSY about the mistake he has committed - that he should not have gone to prison on her behalf. He should have made PSY pay for the crime she has done and he would then spend the rest of his life making it up to her for his deed. I thought that's such a powerful but heartrending line.

See you later! :-h

EDIT:
@awesomeduck: See you later! :-h

Gals, I will be going to bed now. I've been up since 4 am and haven't gotten any rest at all today.
Now, my eyes are about to go like this on me:
sleeping-on-keyboard.gif
So, I must bid you all a goodnight, Faith-lings! Talk to you all again tomorrow. I will be very late to the recap since I get off work late at night. But, I will be sure to make my way to the end of recaps ;) >:D<
@Maja @farstrep @Gukja @WutHmone @sia3 @myphim @pandaeve @azzuri @pechumori @Hanjae @tigereyespeppy @lynlily @awesomeduck @bee_ipa @shengvang @everyone (sorry if I miss anyone. My eyes are shutting on me :D )

tumblr_lyqxu89gb11rotkzgo1_500.gif

And, Goodnight Young-ah :-h
ab.gif