[Drama 2013] That Winter, The Wind Blows/Wind Blows in Winter, 그 겨울, 바람이 분다

Guest sunshine4ever

What's up with that MC guy? He keeps beating up the hot boys in their faces! First was Oh Soo and now Jin Sung. Whyyyyy!!! I can't stand MC!
Does anyone notice, how come everyone always meet up at that same cafe? Korean version of Starbucks? 
Btw, I was looking at the picture of the colorful chapters 1-16 of this drama. I noticed the last chapter is light purple/violet? What's that suppose to mean? Purple = love/romance but it can also mean death/funeral. OH HELL NO! Please do not tell me it is whatever I'm thinking!
Sorry for my crazy obsession. It's been awhile since I last watched a KDrama, since I'm not really a fan but I love this drama, just everything about it. And it's a plus that the leading actor JIS is friggin gorgeous from head to toe and of course, SHK is beautiful, as always. Together, they will make pretty babies (if only!).

[PANN] Photos That Should Be Humiliating But Aren't Because The Star Is So Perfect
06.jpg
"Even with her hair like this, she's still pretty #2...ㅠㅠ"
07.jpg
08.jpg

20.jpg

"Still love you"

21.jpg
Source: Pann via netizenbuzz

those pics and comments :)) it's really nice to see how popular SHK & JIS are! seems like they're really loved in korea, and deservingly so! 

Guest monkie2804

Ep 11 was amazing. I personally prefer it to ep 10. I just want to say two things: 
- Mira girl needs to stop making everything about herself. Although her character hasn's said anything in particular but the way the actress is playing this role give me this feeling. Especially the scene at the coffee shop when lawyer Jang told the shop owners Oh Soo is fake. Her reaction was something I would expect from Oh Young. I laughed so hard when OS just randomly left her at the hospital and drove off by himself in ep 10 LOL That was rude but since he looks like Jo In Sung so it felt kinda cool somehow (i'm crazy, dont mind me)
 - when can we see Oh Soo in bright colors again? Maybe we're now in the more serious part of the drama so they've toned it down a bit. But I miss seeing JIS in red, purple, etc.

and now Im confused with SW all of a sudden she was so kind to OS , pushing OY to do surgery, I hope SW will not continue the wedding..
the writer is giving us surprised when SW found out about the real OS, I think there are still more revelation to see for the next ep..and Im dying to know it! regarding the eye, regarding OS's real identity, 
I just wanted to slap SR, and will shout to her moved u little freak! he is not yours anymore! hahaha she doesn't know yet that OS is not threaten of what she said..

I believe that MC will not kill OS here instead he will save him , that is why he is giving OS an ultimatum days because his days of leaving is only 2 months .. and OS didnt know his sickness yet. poor OS all his special close to him are always leaving him

Guest OreoVampire

The different is now between MC and Wang Biseo is much like "Better the Devil you know than The Angel you don't"
Wang Biseo Shes so Mysterious and Vague.
At least we know what happened between OS and MC. But there is none a single clue yet, who is Wang Biseo.
She's much like a witch in Hansel and Gretel

Guest kikay14

class="title" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 30px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(72, 66, 63); letter-spacing: -1px; line-height: 1em; font-weight: normal; font-family: Kreon, Arial, sans-serif; text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 1px; "
class="title" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 30px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(72, 66, 63); letter-spacing: -1px; line-height: 1em; font-weight: normal; font-family: Kreon, Arial, sans-serif; text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 1px; "Drama Review: That Winter, The Wind Blows (그 겨울, 바람이 분다)

Posted by Guest Writer on Mar 12, 2013 in Films & TVKorean DramasReviews | 1 comment

(16 episodes/ currently airing/ watch on DramaFever.com/ Image from http://baramibunda.sbs.co.kr)

(16 episodes/currently airing/watch on DramaFever.com/image from http://baramibunda.sbs.co.kr)

You can already guess by its name that “That Winter, The Wind Blows” is an intense melodrama. After watching almost half of the series, I can say that the makers and actors are doing a pretty great job in presenting the complicated plot and keeping the story very intriguing. I am not usually a fan of heavy dramas, but this one is just right for me. Nothing seems overdone or lacking. At first, I thought that maybe I can skip watching it. But I was very curious because I have not seen Jo In-Sung and Song Hye-Kyo in any project together. Because of the two strong actors, watching a melodrama has become a new experience!

So okay, what is this all about?

Well first, the story is based on a Japanese series, “I Don’t Need Love, Summer “. The South Korean movie, “Love Me Not”, starring Moon Geun-Young and Kim Joo-Hyuk, was also based on this. However, I have not seen either one so I am not sure how different the drama is from those two.

“That Winter, The Wind Blows” tells the story of two very lonely people, Oh Soo and Oh Young. Both of them have a solid group of people who support them but despite this, in their hearts, they are still alone. Oh Soo is a gambler who got himself in a sticky situation and must find a large amount of money in order to stay alive. Oh Young is a blind, young heiress looking for her only older brother, who she has not seen since she was a little girl. Soo decided to pretend to be Young’s lost brother to take her money but his plan is, of course, not going to be easy. Feelings get involved, and more and more, these two people start to protect and care for each other.

The Main Characters

Oh Soo 오수 (Jo In Sung/조인성) is a handsome gambler and playboy. He was still a baby when his mother left him under a tree during a cold winter. He grew up in an orphanage and lived with his friend’s family during most of his youth. He became a very prominent player later in his life. He was living a high-class and very posh lifestyle until his jealous and slightly crazy model girlfriend plotted against him and got him arrested. The story becomes very interesting when he got out of jail.

Oh Young 오영 (Song Hye Kyo/송혜교) is the heiress to a big company. Her parents divorced when she was still young then her mother and older brother moved out. Young was left with her father and her father’s household staff.  She had brain cancer shortly after her parents’ divorce and her illness has caused her to lose her eyesight. Years have passed and Young’s father died and she is now alone, without anyone who she can truly trust. She hopes that in finding her brother, she will feel happiness again.

The Supporting Characters

I am also excited about the fact that two of my favorite young actors are in this drama.

Jin-Sung 진성 (Kim Bum/김범) – who is from Boys Over Flowers – is Oh Soo’s long time friend and right hand. His loyalty is shown when even after Oh Soo got out of jail, he still met with him and swore that he’ll stick with him.

Hee-Sun 희선 (Jung Eun-j/징은지) – who is from Answer Me  1997 – is Soo’s and Jin-Sung’s other friend. Hee-Sun’s older sister was Oh Soo’s first love. Although she hates Oh Soo for what had happened, she still likes him for the person that he is. She’s struggling with her emotions towards Soo most of the time, but she finds that what always prevails is her desire to help her friends.

The Setting

A screenshot from That Winter, The Wind Blows

A screenshot from That Winter, The Wind Blows

The story is set in a city. Oh Soo used to live in a modern and spacious condominium unit, while Oh Young lives in a big mansion, probably located just in the city’s vicinity. There are some scenes that are more cozy and personal, like Young’s room, the garden, and the cafe. The entire story happens during the winter. I feel that whenever they are outside, they should be wearing at least 2 more layers of clothes!! :-)

Verdict (so far…)

I like this drama mainly because of the main characters. They are both victims. Since they are very young, their rights to a happy life have been taken from them.  Oh Soo, an orphan, became pathetic and selfish. When he was a teenager, a girl fell in love with him and she became pregnant with his baby. But he turned her away in fear that he will not be able to give her and the baby a good life. The girl met a terrible accident and died. Since then, Oh Soo has hated himself for the incident and he has been haunted by her memory. 

Oh Young, on the other hand, had a very secure life. However, she has become completely dependent on her father’s staff since she became blind. She suspects that her father’s secretary had prevented her from getting well. Her hopes of getting better have slowly faded when her condition worsened with time. In one episode, as a high-schooler, Young has said in a video that her oppa will find out what happened to her and he will fight for her.

I will continue watching this for 3 reasons:

First, Jo In-Sung was actually one of the very first Korean actors I’ve seen. I was still in high school when I watched him in Nonstop Sitcom Season 2. Now, I realize how great of an actor he has become. After every episode, I would ask my mom “Did you see that?!?!” LOL. He’s just incredible.

Second, I am almost convinced that Song Hye-Kyo is a blind person. I want to catch her in a scene where her eyes would meet with someone else’s. But NO. She is always gazing outward with no focus in her eyes. Also, she would seem cold and irritating in a scene, then she delivers a line and tears would start flowing! I can’t stop myself from getting teary-eyed sometimes, too. Great acting!  This is truly an amazing cast.

And lastly, I want to know how all this would end. I am in the middle of Episode 8 and I still cannot figure out how things will turn out. Will Soo succeed in taking the money? Will Young find out that Soo is not her real brother? What is up with Secretary Wang and Attorney Jang? All these questions must have answers!! I can’t wait for the next episodes. ^^

I have had several “drama dates” with my mom since I started watching. She thinks that In-Sung is so charismatic and Hye-Kyo is as beautiful as she was in Full House, maybe even more beautiful. If you’re also watching the series, what are your thoughts??

Happy watching, everyone! ^^

-Noreen

credit: http://atkmagazine.com/2013/03/12/drama-review-that-winter-the-wind-blows/

forevergirl said: and now Im confused with SW all of a sudden she was so kind to OS , pushing OY to do surgery, I hope SW will not continue the wedding..
the writer is giving us surprised when SW found out about the real OS, I think there are still more revelation to see for the next ep..and Im dying to know it! regarding the eye, regarding OS's real identity, 
I just wanted to slap SR, and will shout to her moved u little freak! he is not yours anymore! hahaha she doesn't know yet that OS is not threaten of what she said..

I believe that MC will not kill OS here instead he will save him , that is why he is giving OS an ultimatum days because his days of leaving is only 2 months .. and OS didnt know his sickness yet. poor OS all his special close to him are always leaving him

I some how found comforting to know that this drama is penned by the 'padam padam' writer.  It sort of rang a bell, the colour scheme, the unique lyricism that surrounds every single take.  The way the characters are forever stuck in the concept of death, being pawns on a  chess board seemingly controlled by others.  I still hope this time both are 'saved' like the padam couple were through fandom support...

Finally watched eps 10 and 11 with subs. 
If ep 10 is about OY, i would say ep 11 is about MC and SW. (the story will always be about OS and OY so i left that out heh)
Ep 11 really fleshed out MC and SW's character. MC: Hardened gangster, scorned by everyone including his own sister and hardly has any redeeming quality but yet in ep 11 he came across as not any less humane than the other characters are. Perhaps it's because he has shed his past and grudges and came to the realization that he just like anyone else, is just another person in this world fighting to live. He might even be disgusted with himself judging from how he said he is sorry for bringing his underling into this dirty line of business. His methods may be wrong and his way of thinking might be stubborn/extreme,but by the end of ep 11, i just wanna give him a hug and tell him what OY told OS: it's okay not to be okay. 
I like this picture cause he looked like a little boy being reprimanded by his sister. In front of her, he doesn't have that gangster feel or pose. He is back to where he should be (although it is probably temporary but its a nice respite) 51zq0.png

SW: Really the best explanation i can give for how she acts is that she does things from her POV. Unrelenting and stubborn. Her intentions might be good, but her execution often falters. I especially liked how in ep 11, she is able to for once, look beyond her scope of reference; by acknowledging that OS is in love with OY. To her, she probably thinks it is impossible for anyone else to truly love OY because everyone around her is just in for the money. Therefore, she thinks only her, herself and only she can protect and love OY truly. Her recognition of OS's love for OY is a big step i think in her character. For perhaps the first time since she assumed control of the household, she has to share that love with someone else. Which might explain why in ep 11, she was disheartened to see OS hugging OY in the hospital; because she was not the one beside OY and she has to come to terms with that fact. 
I esp liked this scene: swag5x.png
It is very symbolic of their relationship. They are being held together by a thin string that can snap anytime. Whether is it when OS's time is up, OY dies etc. It also reflects how fragile their current situation is. 
OK rant is over and personal obsession time.
beeckx.pngSMEXY. how can a man look so good sleeping? My brother looks like crap when he sleeps. >.<
foj1nr.png
t5n2hc.png
JS: Because YOU and I, WE belong together! 
1zqy8gg.png
OS: No we don't. I belong with OY. But WHY she doesn't want to sleep with me?!
alizxe.png
ok sorry for the long post! 
The countdown starts for wed!

Guest magnolia

Hi, just wanna share these articles. Enjoy... ^^
class="cb b15" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 15px; border: 0px; font-size: 27px; outline: 0px; line-height: 30px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); clear: both; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);""That Winter, The Wind Blows" The Real Reason for Creating Remake

February 13, the very first episode of the SBS drama "That Winter, The Wind Blows" was broadcasted. Even before the first episode, the drama drew attention for casting top stars like Jo In Sung and Song Hye Kyo. The expectations were high and SBS did not disappoint.

Regarding the remake of the story, the director of the production department of SBS stated, "Even though we haven't been receiving the best viewing rates for the past episodes, we absolutely idolize writer No Hee Kyung."

A lot of people believed that the popularity of the drama was the result of the high profile actors. Others even said that the drama is not directed viewers of all ages and that the story is not as good as the original.

Currently, a total of eleven episodes of "That Winter, The Wind Blows" have aired. Although many people expected a viewing rate of over 20%, it appears as though it will be a very difficult goal to achieve. Since the KBS drama "IRIS 2" is created for viewers of all ages, it will definitely receive high viewing rates. There is also, "Level 7 Civil Servant" which is another popular drama of the season.

In the beginning, the actors in "That Winter, The Wind Blows" played a huge role in the impressive viewing rates but as the story began to fully develop, the viewing rate began to decline.

Unlike other dramas, the production crew of the "That Winter, The Wind Blows" is working under a completely different system from the production crews of other dramas. They are working under calm conditions without feeling the need for more time to create an episode. The cast and crew are currently working as hard as they can to provide their viewers with a satisfying story.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

class="cb b15" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 15px; border: 0px; font-size: 27px; outline: 0px; line-height: 30px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); letter-spacing: -0.5px; clear: both;""That Winter, The Wind Blows" Secret Behind the Figure in the Mirror

The production crew of the SBS drama "That Winter, The Wind Blows" had already completed filming 8 episodes of the drama even before the first episode was aired. Writer Noh Hui Kyung had previously mentioned that there will be a total of 16 episodes. The actors received the scripts for four episodes at a time and got together each time in order to go over them together, including the director Kim Kyu Tae and writer Noh Hui Kyung.

During the press release on March 14, director Kim Kyu Tae stated, "Noh Hee Kyung and I are not a good match" and joked about their relationship. He then added, "Once again, I am in awe from seeing the result of her work. I really hope that we can express her writing effectively. We rehearse countless times before we film but it is still very hard. She is such a difficult writer. We would be good as long as us, the production crew, can do our job correctly."

However, another crucial factor in the success of the drama is the quality of the scenes. Director Kim Kyu Tae added, "In order to make the emotions of the characters more dramatically, we use a lot of close up shots."

He added, "The reason we are able to create beautiful shots is because both Jo In Sung and Song Hye kyo are beautiful people" and "They are beautiful whether we do a full shot or a tight shot. I feel like I'm getting praised because of how beautiful they are" and became very shy. Kim Kyu Tae also stated, "I'm just able to film beautiful things as much as I want."

Regarding the drama, director Kim Kyu Tae stated, "The tone of the drama itself is very heavy so I thought the viewers may get very frustrated. So I thought the only way to soften up and relax the drama is to capture beautiful scenes." He mentioned that he is focusing on the artistic side of the scenes and places great importance on colors.

"The original scenes are very different from the ones that are aired on television."

Director Kim Kyu Tae also stated, "I wanted to try something new and fresh for the remaining episodes of the drama. I think this drama is a bit more detailed," He mentioned that the colors are not emphasized during the filming process because he wants the editing crew to bring out the colors he wants. "If you see the actual scenes before editing, the colors and textures are completely different. You would be surprised."

Currently, the cast and crew of "That Winter, The Wind Blows" are in the process of filming the 13th to 15th episodes. Director Kim Kyu Tae stated, "I think we will be done with everything about two days before the last episode is about to air. However, there will be an epilogue scene in the last episode. I think the script for this will be released right before the episode airs."

Lastly, he mentioned, "You can expect great things since the love story between the two main characters have officially started. We want to keep breaking a lot of hearts in the future."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
class="cb b15" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 15px; border: 0px; font-size: 27px; outline: 0px; line-height: 30px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); clear: both;""That Winter, The Wind Blows" Expected Finale, Life or Death

SBS "That Winter, The Wind Blows" will the ending be similar to the original story?

Oh Soo (Jo In Sung) set his mind on death and Oh Young (Song Hye Kyo) is hopeful about life for the first time in her life. Oh Soo kisses her on the lips and Oh Young gets jealous when another woman appears in the picture.

There are currently 5 episodes remaining. Everybody in the drama basically knows everything about Oh Soo except Oh Young and there are only two weeks left until Jo Moo Cheol's (Kim Tae Woo) requested deadline. As the end is approaching, viewers are anxious to find out the fate of Oh Young and Oh Soo.

** Just like the Original, Oh Young Lives and Oh Soo Dies?

The first thing that comes to mind is the death of Oh Soo. "That Winter, The Wind Blows" is based on the Japanese drama "I Don't' Need Love" and appeared to have an almost identical story. Therefore it would be logical to predict that "That Winter, The Wind Blows" will have the same ending as the original story.

However, it doesn't seem like Oh Soo will die from the same reason he died from in the original story. It will probably be more dramatic. Currently, Oh Soo is thinking of sacrificing his own life in order to save Oh Young. Of course, Oh Young's brain tumor is not curable and surgery won't improve her life or her sight.

One possibility is Oh Soo giving her his own eyes. Oh Soo wants to give Oh Young the gift of sight before she passes away. Since he is already set on death, he may actually give her his eyes. We can expect a dramatic story where Oh Young receives Oh Soo's eyes and later finding out everything about him. Feeling responsible, she becomes more passionate for life and endures through painful chemotherapy to hang on to her life.

** Heart Wrenching Tragedy

Another ending could show both Oh Young and Oh Soo dying. From concluding from everything, this seems to be the most likely finale.

If Oh Soo cannot avoid death, the most important thing to him is Oh Young. If Oh Young wants to live, she must endure though chemotherapy and several surgeries, not to mention surgery for her eyes. Even a highly respected doctor has said that Oh Young's case is hopeless, which makes us believe that her fate is already set.

If they both die at the end, what kind of ending will this drama be? It will be the greatest gift for Oh Young if she could see Oh Soo with her own eyes before she dies but it really wouldn't matter even if she didn't. Whether this will be the case or not, there will definitely be a sad ending that will break a lot of hearts.

** Happy Ending

The last possible ending is a happy ending. It is actually what the viewers are hoping for. At a press conference on March 14, Song Hye Kyo revealed, "I think I'll remember this drama for a long time because of the sad ending but sometimes I feel, 'they've been through so much already, there must be a happy scene somewhere' and really feel that the ending should be a happy ending." This means that a happy ending is not completely impossible.

Jo In Sung also stated, "How about the drama has an ending where Oh Soo and Oh Young were not actually humans?" and make people even more curious.

Regardless of what the finale will contain, it will be remembered for a very long time.

full credit to kdramastars.com  Visit the site if you want to know more about "That Winter" articles...they're really up to date. 

thanks a lot for all the updates either bts pics or articles .. 
just reading this title
class="cb b15" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 15px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: 400; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 30px; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); text-shadow: white 1px 1px 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); clear: both;"That Winter, The Wind Blows" Expected Finale, Life or Death 
I have abdomenal pain 
:(   
I do not want to even think that there is a final episode ..   :-SS

@wlst: i agree babe \m/ he looks so good n hot n sexy even when sleeping =P~ looking back at our real brothers. they r just ugly ducks compare to this man   [-( my mood turns bad when thinking about my brother's swollen face while he's sleeping  =))

wow, thanks for the articles, @magnolia :x

I haven't watched these videos with engsub. Sorry if they are posted :)

Song Hye Kyo & Jo In Sung shoot the interview ENGSUB [part 1]

Song Hye Kyo & Jo In Sung shoot the interview ENGSUB [part 2]

subbed by dramafever

By the way guys, did you notice this pic below? Why are they holding hands when Hye Kyo's clearly reading the script and I'll understand if it's part of the scene but there's no such scene during the snow man/ snow fight scene. I wonder  :-?  :\">  8-> 91ef76c6a7efce1b449e4ec.jpg

bunbun2391 said: @wlst: i agree babe \m/ he looks so good n hot n sexy even when sleeping =P~ looking back at our real brothers. they r just ugly ducks compare to this man   [-( my mood turns bad when thinking about my brother's swollen face while he's sleeping  =))

Guest yanglove

Currently, the cast and crew of "That Winter, The Wind Blows" are in the process of filming the 13th to 15th episodes. Director Kim Kyu Tae stated, "I think we will be done with everything about two days before the last episode is about to air. However, there will be an epilogue scene in the last episode. I think the script for this will be released right before the episode airs."Lastly, he mentioned, "You can expect great things since the love story between the two main characters have officially started. We want  to keep breaking a lot of hearts in the future."
* Let us brace ourselves for a sad ending.

Guest monkie2804

Thank you for posting the subbed interviews. I cracked up laughing when Jo In Sung introduced his role as "That Winter" and when he randomly clapped after SHK's answer. He was like giggling by himself. Such a cutie. What's best is SHK's reaction. She was like so used to it already LOL

yeahhhh.. this... I just finished ep11 again.. I hate her.. and i think slapping her is not enough :)) she has a thick skin.. how come a person will continue to chase the love that is obviously not hers anyway? this is not love... totally obsession... i can't forgive her for what she has done to OS.. and now, after OS rejected her again, she's using another dirty tactic to get him..

@gyo insung yap I agree with you, doesnt she think of OS's life she only thinks of herself she is totally selfish, didnt just realize that she is risking OS's life again...