Looking for Shoujo (Shoujo Recommendations)

Guest xFloOwuffBB

Guest xFloOwuffBB

Hello everyone! Lately I've been on a manga roll... and particularly I've been wanting to read shoujos that involve a lot of heart-wrenching moments that are really moving. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? It would be nice if the series had many chapters up already, but I'm not that picky ^^

Some shoujo manga that I've already read/are currently reading:
Bokura Ga Ita                    Hiyokoi
Strobe Edge                      Kyou no Kira-kun
Hana to Akuma                 Yajirobee
Ao Haru Ride                    Yumemiru Taiyou
Orange (Takano Ichigo)      Bokura wa Itsumo
Shinobi Life                       Sukitte Ii Na Yo
Seiyuu Ka--!                      Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Akagami no Shirayukihime Taiyou no Ie
Kamisama Hajimemashita  Hibi Chouchou

>< Sorry for the big list, but it would be a big help if you all offered new shoujo to read.
Thank you very much! ^^

If it helps you get a better idea, or you're also looking for things to read, please look at my manga list on myanimelist.net! I've read quite a lot.
My Manga List

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love shoujo as well!!!

Can you recommend a specific title from the list you posted above. Mostly a completed one?

As you looking for an ongoing series or a completed? And heart-wrenching right? Not light hearted?

Kimi ga Suki

Just yesterday I read this 3 volume manga from Watanube Ayu. It was very heart wrenching.

"Aki has always liked her basketball club friend, Mase. However, she can’t seem to gather her courage to confess to him. On the day when she finally decides to tell him, she is confessed to by a guy from a different Junior High!! A horrible accident follows and Aki finds herself not being able to choose between the two – Mase, whom she truly loves or Koichi, whom she’ll always feel indebted to…"

Sumire wa Blue

A two volume manga. Very heart wrenching and reminicent of Strobe Edge.

"Kinoshita Sumire… Does not participate in any co-curriculum activity and does not even like her own name. She first saw Makimura Daichi in the library. For some reason, she was very attracted to the way he twirls his pencil, and from then on, she started taking interest in him. Makimura Daichi… Part of a famous ice hockey team and is secretly in love with his childhood friend, Shouji… These two people have nothing in common at all, yet they are slowly getting closer to each other…!"

Nanaco Robin

Slightly more light hearted. Dunno if you would be into that. The same writer as the famous Lovely Complex. 3 volumes.

"In her sister's place, Nako-chan steals the groom of an arranged (political) marriage and helps them elope. But when the Hayami group starts failing, she must pay the consequence by housing the delinquent brother..."

Sakura Irony

"All too aware of being "just a teenager," Chiho is willing to do what it takes to confess her love to Somei-sensei, her teacher and the guy of her dreams. Still haunted by nightmares of a confession gone wrong years ago, she hopes for some high school romance... but wait, the nightmare himself is back, and he's going to her high school?! Things just got a whole lot more complicated for Chiho..."

Suki Kirai Suki

One of my favorite. I've read it more than once. Only one volume though.

"He hates to lose and is a little shorter than other boys. A little cheeky, but when he smiles, he's really cute. This is the Miyamoto that Hitomi loves so much. Just before the entrance exam for high school, she has two chances to make a confession. But she is dazzled and doesn't really have to courage to do it, so she decides to leave it for after the exam. Or at least that's what she thought..."

^These are all stories I enjoyed. I am a oneshot fan but these are longer stories (but as you can see not that long). They are all completed

More.... older and longer stories

I Wish....

It is my absolutely favorite manhwa but 1) it has an older type art and 2) the story doesn't pick up until later. 10 volumes.

"K is a wizard who can grant wishes--all he asks in return is that which is most precious to the wisher...

Mourning from a horrific loss, Jin Ryu wants K to bring back her parents and brother from the dead. But when K tells her that a wish such as this can only lead to greater tragedy, he agrees to take her on as an apprentice. Now Jin observes K with his various and sundry clients: A father who wants to put a stop to his son's relationship... A young woman who longs for her lover to remember... A boy who will do anything to be accepted..."

Peach Girl

Older but the one of the best shoujos out there period. And the art style is still modern looking. Loved it. 20 volumes.

"It's not easy being beautiful. The envy, the jealousy, the vicious rumors spread by your best friend. That's life for young Momo. While everyone thinks that Momo is a wild party girl, the reality is that she is just shy and lonely. Can Momo confess her love to her classmate, Toji, or will her best friend Sae steal him away? It's a bittersweet drama of growing up and fitting in that will charm readers everywhere."

More....so these are not completed and are the ones I'm currently reading:

Kimi ni Todoke

I you haven't read this I'd be surprised but just in case since I don't think it was in your list above.

Tonari no Atashi

"Nina's neighbor, Kyousuke, is starting high school while she's still stuck in junior high. Just walking to their nearby schools together isn't enough for her--especially since they keep running into Yuiko: a beautiful, outgoing girl in Kyousuke's grade who also seems to harbor feelings for Nina's next-door neighbor."

Aoharaido

"Now in high school, she is determined to be as unladylike as possible so that her friends won't be jealous of her. While living her life this way contentedly, she meets Tanaka-kun again, but he now goes under the name of Mabuchi Kou. He tells her that he felt the same way as she did when they were younger, but that they cannot go back. Will Futaba be able to continue her love that never even started from three years ago?"

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji

"Erika lied to her friends about having a boyfriend by showing a picture of an anonymous guy who turned out to be a a schoolmate of hers and was shortly recognized by her friends. Their conversations then was overheard by the guy, Sata Kyouya. Erika went to explain and proposed her idea of faking as lovers. However, Sata who gave off the nice-charming feelings guy turns out to be a black prince and used her reasons to blackmail her instead."

And that's it....I have more if you need :-) And if you try any of them let me know! And please recommend me one you really liked :)

I have another one!!

Deep Love Virus
"Mako and Haru have been friends forever. One day when Haru suddenly kisses Mako she starts thinking that this is a sign of a new beginning! However, soon after, Haru tells Mako that he has found a new girlfriend! How will Mako react to the news!?"

It has the heart wrenching that you like. One volume.

Guest xFloOwuffBB

@cutiek028 Oh gosh, thank you for your recs! XD Well let's see... if you're looking for good completed series then from the ones I recommend from my list are:

Bokura Ga Ita (We Were There) - this manga was also adapted into an anime series that covers the first half of the manga. It's seriously super sad. I cried so many times, I've even resorted to buying actual copies. Pretty sure it's got around 70 ish chapters, but it's a definite read for any Shoujo lover. Don't judge it by the synopsis (cause you know how summaries can be really cheesy)-- it's got a lot of drama (and personally I connected to the main character a lot). Manga Reader says ongoing but it's completed.

The start of high school life. To the girls, that also meant the start of their love lives. For brand new first year student, Takahashi Nanami (Nana for short), it was no different... She happens to end up in the same class as the incredibly popular Yano Motoharu, who rumors say that two thirds of all the girls are guaranteed to fall in love with. But will that hold true for Nana, who says that if she had to choose between like or dislike, she\'d say she dislikes him!?

Shinobi Life - This manga's a really fun one. I like the concept of it, and it's cute! It has battle and fight scenes (you'll understand when you read the summary) so there will be blood sometimes; if you don't like blood, I don't think it will be very bad for you since it's in moderation. Like Bokura Ga Ita, I cried so many times reading this manga. At first I was like, "What a silly story"-- but I was so wrong. It gets really intense as it goes on and there are just more stories unraveling, it's really great. There are 64 chapters.

Many, many years ago, a ninja named Kagetora devoted his life to protecting Princess Beni (”Beni-Hime”). Unfortunately, they were attacked and Kagetora was flung into a lake, and sank to the bottom… And is somehow warped to the future where he sees the princess Beni being kidnapped.
Little does Kagetora know that Beni is not the real princess, but rather her descendant. Beni, on the other hand, thought that Kagetora was just a cosplayer. Beni, the daughter of a rich man has already been kidnapped a hundred times already... But fear not because Kagetora is here. Will Kagetora be able to go back to the past, or will he remain by Beni’s side forever?

Saruyama! (Monkey High!) - is also a manga I will recommend. It's actually the very first manga I bought for myself so I have sentimental attachment to it :P. It's only got 30-ish chapters (I have bought all the volumes)--not very long compared to the previous two--but it's still a nice little shoujo to check out for yourself. ^^

After her politician father is disgraced in scandal, Haruna Aizawa transfers to a new school. Haruna is convinced that school life is just like a monkey mountain—all the monkeys form cliques, get into fights, and get back together again. She even meets a boy named Masaru (aka Macharu) who reminds her of a baby monkey!

If you need any more manga recommendations, you can also check out my manga list on myanimelist.net :P
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Mikurai
I try to score fairly based on how I felt after reading the manga, and art and all that. Don't pay attention at all to Priority because I don't really care for that section :P

@xFloOwuffBB:

Thank you!

I have already read Monkey High (very cute) :)

I think I am going to read Bokura ga Ita since its finally completed =)

I am glad you liked the recs. If I come across any really amazing stories I will let you know.

It seems like we like the same type of manga art type! Shinobi Life looks really cute too.

Guest xFloOwuffBB

@cutiek028 Awesome! :D And you're welcome. The art is such a big deal to me because if it doesn't look good from the cover or first few pages I won't even look at it >.<;
Bokura Ga Ita's awesome c: Trust me!
And yeah Shinobi Life is super cute. :D It gets better as time passes

• 4 weeks later...

^

It sounds super interesting!!!! :D

But my heart can't take another uncompleted story. I'm already following three (and I'm waiting on the final volume for a fourth).

Also, if you like that story you might like Special A, although Special A was to "gimmicky" for me. If you have read/seen Special A, is Last Game more serious than Special A?

Guest xFloOwuffBB

:0 I thought Last Game was completed? Or maybe it's just me.. I see that manga a lot when I'm searching for new ones to read and my friend also showed me a section of it. >.< It seems very cliche like Kimi Ni Todoke.. am I wrong?

I'm by Chapter 6 of Last Game.

Each chapter is really long and it's pretty cute. It's a little gimmicky cause the main girl is one of those "forever oblivious" types. But it's one of the best of this type of story I've read, although I don't love this type of story. There has been *some* progress. But hopefully it won't stagnate forever from here on out.

I really like how it goes from elementary, to middle school, to high school, and then college.

Guest ailynlee

Hello, new member and first time posting. I like reading shoujo manga too!! These are my favorites: Watashi ni xx Shinasai Kyou, koi wo hajimemasu Maid-sama! Love so Life L-DK etc... I recommend these to you!

^

Watashi ni xx Shinasai Kyou sounds like Last Game in some ways. I think you would like it ^^

I caught up to date with the Last Game releases and it was enjoyable and there was *some* progress although its still a big tease lol I am so traumatized with this type of story after reading about 50 chapters of Perfect Girl Revolution and having nothing happen for 50 chapters T_________________T But Last Game is pretty good. I like how the story is a little unique and the author fleshes out the side characters and the families of the main characters really well.

Guest xFloOwuffBB

@ailynlee Awesome that your first post would be in this thread! :3 Welcome.
Thanks for your recs but I've read/have been reading/glanced at all of those. LOL XD you can look at my manga list if you need help with looking at any more manga :3

@cutiek028 I HATE IT WHEN THERE'S A NEW CHAPTER RELEASE AND NOTHING HAPPENS XD IT'S LIKE OMGGG

Guest xxkurenaixshixx

Akuma de Sousou http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1337 I like this one ^_^ Was going to recommend the Deep Love series but I see you have already read it ^_^ Awesome yet sad series.
Ugh, Peach Girl. Such a raging manga/anime to read/watch lol

^

OMG! I super second Akuma de Sousou, known to me as The Devil Does Exist.

My best friend and I had soo much fun with this series in HS! (I'm in my 4th year of college now...) We would fawn over the main guy character in this story and all the cute moments. The girl is a bit of a dunce but she is a nice protagonist. There is a certain scene with a trenchcoat...omg my friend and I died over that scene, wishing something like that would happen to us!!!

Guest xxkurenaixshixx

If you also haven't read them yet, Hana Yori Dango, Ouran High School Host Club, Hanazakari no Kimi-tachi e, Skip Beat, and some more ^^

Archived