1. Joo Won, the Good Son, the Good Dongsaeng
  2. Joo Won, the Actor
  3. Joo Won, the Hoobae, the "Dongsaeng", the Oppa
  4. Joo Won, the Man in Variety
  5. Joo Won, his Real and Reel Loves
  6. Joo Won, the Anatomy of a Man
  7. Joo Won, the Boy, the Man and His Dreams

Part 2 - Joo Won, the Actor

This man is born for the stage. In real person, he is quiet and shy but when he is on stage, he becomes a totally different person. There are many videos of Joo Won in earlier days, singing at a club or in one of performances in Grease, the musical. He is so charismatic on stage and can be totally goofy when he is impersonating some other singer or pop group.

b3ef751ed21b0ef4172a07deddc451da80cb3e18

I wished I had the opportunity to see him perform on stage be it a musical or play but I don’t think he will return to it anytime soon given his soaring popularity on the small screen. He revealed that he received several offers to take part in theatre works and the productions were bending backwards to accommodate his schedule. However, Joo Won said he turned them down as he was not confident if he could do a good job and was uncomfortable that he could not commit time to whole-heartedly prepare for it. He added that although he would be frightened if he had to stand on stage now, he would like to return to stage one day.

d62a6059252dd42a4ae5c434033b5bb5c8eab845

Since theatre musicals cannot be recorded or sold in form of DVDs, I have little idea how Joo Won sounded in theatre. I could only listen to a very short clip of him singing in the Spring Awakening. Even though it was a very short segment, I was taken aback by how strong and deep his voice was. Besides his singing, he won good reviews for his acting in this play as well. He started out as the original cast lead actor Kim Mu Yeol’s understudy and during that time, he watched every single one of Mu Yeol’s performances except when he was having exams or matters he had to attend to. All in all, he watched 80 out of 100 of Kim Mu Yeol’s performances. Later when Kim Mu Yeol left, he took over as the lead character Melchior. 

Although the theater is a great place for performing arts, its reach is limited. Thus, we are grateful that Joo Won moved on to dramas otherwise many people will miss out on this man’s talents. In just a short span of 3 years and with just 3 dramas, Joo Won is knocking it out of the park, creating waves in the Korean entertainment industry. This is indeed phenomenal because their industry has so many talented and good looking actors that it is not easy to stand out even if one possesses either trait.  Joo Won has both and more, he has the charisma.

9a3d09e93901213f36d0aad054e736d12e2e958c

Much has been said of him being the ratings man but to me, it’s his superb acting and undeniable talent that has been nothing short of awesome. In Baker King, Joo Won’s acting was a little shaky.  Nonetheless, that one being his very first, I will say it was a very good performance. Against odds, he managed to win the audience’s sympathy for the conniving, hateful antagonist Ma Jun. Many viewers were rooting for Kim Tak Gu, the protagonist played by the sweet and cute Yoon Shi Yoon. So they hated Ma Jun who was always scheming and plotting to hurt Tak Gu and who committed the greatest sin by snatching Tak Gu’s childhood sweetheart. Surprisingly, there were also quite a number of people rooting for Ma Jun. I think this is because Joo Won was so good when he played Ma Jun in his vulnerable state. You could relate to his desperate need for love and understanding from his parents, his shame of being the illegitimate son, his embarrassment at having a spineless thud for a father and his hatred of himself. In one particular scene when he cried, reading his master’s letter written to him, I was more touched by him than by Tak Gu’s similar scene. Joo Won’s crying seemed to come from somewhere deep within him; you could feel the wretchedness of his soul, the outpour of guilt and sorrow. There was this other scene where he revealed to his father(not biological) that he knew the real circumstances behind his grandmother’s death, his apology to his father for being born, was so gut-wrenching. Last but not least, in the final episode where he went to the prison to bid farewell to his biological father, I was totally surprised at how good he was in emotional scenes. Many actors have to scrunch up their faces big time when they cry. It’s almost like they have to squeeze the tears out. You also have those actors who do “beautiful crying” where you’d see a single teardrop rolling down their cheek. Joo Won is none of these. In this particular scene, it was the exact opposite. You can see he was trying his very best not to cry but the tears came anyway. You can see his eyes reddening, the nose running and the mouth crumbling but he was trying in futile to control it. I admit I was floored by Joo Won’s crying scenes and of course his acting. Baker King just gave me a glimpse of his great works to come

0cf8a56eddc451dae4df6c7cb6fd5266d016322c

Those who have watched Joo Won in Baker King and then moved on to Ojakgyo Brothers must have been wondering if he is the one and same guy. His character as Hwang Tae Hee is the exact opposite of Go Ma Jun. This is a guy who is steadfast in his principles to point of being inflexible. It is no wonder he is a policeman. His fervor and dedication to catching society’s thugs had earned him the label “Dog Tae Hee”

558400_185976081533317_621572384_n.jpgojakgyobrothers7.jpg

He can be really violent and nasty when he deals with thugs but at home, he is the dependable son whom the elders favor and listen to. He is also very sweet to his mother and particularly grandmother. In the first episode of Ojakgyo Brothers, you will see an unshaven Tae Hee who had spent nights either at the police station or in his car, waiting to nab the suspect. I find him so cute and sexy in his checkered shirts and the baby-like fuzz on his chin. Beneath that stoic front, we soon learn that Tae Hee is man who has been suppressing his real emotions so long that he cannot even recognize his true feelings. 

383175_221879251218419_996483006_n-1.jpg

Because he never speaks much and has been exemplary in studies and work, no one knew how much he was hurting from his mother’s abandonment. Joo Won acting as Tae Hee opened my eyes to how great this guy is at conveying a broad spectrum of emotions just using his eyes.  Because Tae Hee is a taciturn man, his lines are few and short and it even applies when he is in love with the first woman in his life. Joo Won pulled such a convincing act as Tae Hee in love with his sunshine girl Ja Eun that viewers were left thinking it must be real somewhat because you can literally see love oozing out from his eyes and every pore of his being. It even made a shipper out of a die-hard cynic like me. It was like the sweetest heaven watching these two lovebirds. They didn’t have the most awesome kisses or make outs and they require none because every gaze, every smile, every hug was enough the melt the stoniest of hearts. 

ec98a4ec9e91eab590-ed9895eca09ceb93a4-e4

If I put it that through Ojakgyo Brothers, Joo Won melted the audience’ hearts, then I would say it is through Bridal Mask that Joo Won blazed his way into the audience’ hearts and left his indelible print. I was already a diehard fan of Joo Won since Ojakgyo Brothers. So it was with tremendous anticipation and some trepidation that I awaited the start of Bridal Mask. This was a mega production that cost 10 billion won and it was Joo Won’s first lead role. I wanted so badly for him to do well and I must say he not only achieved all my expectations, he far exceeded them. I had read whatever synopsis I could lay my hands on before the show started but nothing prepared me for the character Lee Kangto when I saw the first episode. Having been so used to associating Joo Won with the sweet and quiet Hwang Tae Hee, I was shocked to see the hot tempered, ambition crazed Lee Kang To who was prone to yelling and even slapped a girl. Wasn’t he supposed to be the hero, the Bridal Mask? 

550579_343800925692917_999313433_n-1.jpg

166501_343801149026228_1319084440_n-1.jp

He looked nothing close to it. And the girl he slapped is supposed to be his love. I am no stranger to those love stories where the couple starts off as less than friends but never have I witness such a level of animosity that these two had for each other.Expectedly, many viewers were also shocked at how far or rather how low the scriptwriter would take the protagonist to before his turnaround. Some hated him and I don’t blame them as Lee Kang To went from bad to worse in the subsequent episodes. He beat up his own people, tortured Mok Dan, put her on the execution block and he kicked his hyung Kangsan with such viciousness that was too painful to watch. Much as I was shocked at Kangto’s character, I could never bring myself to hate Joo Won. Actually I was impressed that he could play the role of Lee Kangto with such intensity and his fighting scenes were really good and totally believable. When I watched Lee Kangto, I did not see the actor Joo Won, I see Lee Kangto. That is how awesome Joo Won’s acting is. Already from Baker King to Ojakgyo Brothers, it was a huge difference. And it just could not be starker when you compare Joo Won as Tae Hee in Ojakgyo Brothers and as Kangto in Bridal Mask. That’s the beauty of his art. When he acts, he becomes that character. He even creates a unique set of facial tics and non-verbal body language for each character. As to his transformation from a hated antagonist to a hero who was worshipped by his people, I knew that if anyone can pull off this act convincingly, it would be Joo Won. Even as early as episode 4, when Kangto broke down, cried into his hyung’s back, pouring out his true feelings, many viewers cried with him. And then in that tumultuous chain of events in episode 6 where Kangto killed Kangsan, not knowing that it was his hyung behind the mask, Joo Won was nothing short of magnificent. And who would forget that terrible wail which he let out when he discovered his mother was dead too. There has been many praising Joo Won in that scene but also some detractors. The latter felt that Joo Won had overacted. How they reached that conclusion is beyond me. Was he supposed to cry silently or cry buckets without letting out too much sound? Just imagine, he had shot his own beloved hyung just a while ago and then he finds his mother motionless with her clothes all bloodied under the covers. Anything short of a scream or a wail would be illogical. 

And having watched Joo Won cry in both Baker King and Ojakgyo Brothers, I know he is totally capable of subtle crying that is no less gut wrenching. Just take episode 52 of Ojakgyo Brothers where Tae Hee and Ja Eun had to break up and bid each other farewell, it was one of the saddest break up scene I have watched. Joo Won was so good at acting the part of Tae Hee who was totally grieved but had to put up a brave front. When Ja Eun bid her farewell, and left her couple ring on the table, you should see how his face crumbled. I know that some actors cry pretty or they have to work some histrionics but Joo Won always get the crying scenes pat down. As recent interviews show, his tears are real by the way. In the final episode of Bridal Mask when his beloved Boon Yi died in his arms, he said he could not stop crying even after the cameras stopped rolling. 

306984_348208448585498_1992455127_n-1-1-eab081ec8b9ced8388-e20-120809-hdtv-xvid-Untitled-25-1-1-1.jpg

In Bridal Mask, Joo Won was very charismatic, he literally oozed sex appeal. Lee Kangto was a smart and capable man who had no lack of female admirers. Joo Won just looked so good and fine in all those tailored suits that every screen cap was so drool worthy. In addition to this, he was an awesome fighter. There was so much vitality and power in his action moves that it always made the fight scenes doubly exciting. Yet for a man who knew women and could easily knock out many of his opponents, Kangto was so vulnerable and helpless when it came to his Boon Yi. Joo Won as usual played this part to the tee. He was totally believable as a man who will give up everything including his life to save his girl. When Boon Yi died, I cried for her and I cried some more for Kangto. I have seen many onscreen couples lose the other half but never had I cried for so many days other than Mok Dan-Kangto couple. For a couple who had only 2 kisses, just some hugs and hand holding, this speaks volume. 

296990_515798101769467_315038948_n-1.jpggaksital18avi_001203631640x360-1-1.jpg

When Bridal Mask started airing, there were criticisms on Joo Won’s acting, namely these critics didn’t like his shouting and find him too dramatic. Some even suggested a few famous names that could have done the job better. Having watched Joo Won’s other works, I knew that his interpretation of the role had meaning. After all, Kangto is not your typical suave dude who would pull the trigger, blow off the smoke, gives that come hither look and then coolly walks off. Lee Kangto is a hot-blooded young man; he uses his raw strength including his voice box to plummet people under control. In any case, we could see the change after he took over the mask and gradually learnt how to control his emotions; his self-restrain became better than anyone else. Joo Won fleshed out Lee Kangto as a hero who had inner turmoil, can get conflicted and just about as human as anyone else. Above all, Joo Won made Kangto a totally believable hero. Not many 25 year old actors can play this role with such maturity and masculine appeal. 

484486_413603845369643_1608640526_n-1.jp

We, the viewers also become so invested in his character that we analyze his thoughts, his motivations, his struggles and actions. I even wrote a fanfic on Lee Kangto's pain.  As Park Ki Woong commented, Joo Won “dupes” his audience into believing that Kangto is a real person. If that is not awesome acting, I really do not know what is. I dare not say he was perfect in his art as Lee Kangto as that would mean he has no more room for improvement. Also, there were a few lapses in his acting but I would still give him full marks if I were to take into account his effort and his willingness to put self aside and throw himself whole-heartedly into the character. Joo Won totally owned this character. I cannot imagine any other actor in his age group who look the part and can pull such a performance. Joo Won is Lee Kangto and Lee Kangto is Joo Won. Period.

250292_417079465022081_910526726_n-1.jpg

I enjoy watching Joo Won best when he is acting. Although he is such a darling on variety show, talk shows and interviews, for me, nothing beats watching him act. He is what I would call a “Thinking Actor” You can see it in his works. I can watch his scenes over and over again and find something new each time. That’s because when Joo Won is acting, he does not just deliver the lines, he acts with his entire body. Look carefully and you will see the little details in his body gestures, his hand movements, the way he walks, that little tremor in his lips or chin, the straightening of his back or the fetal position he assumes. To add to viewers’ amusement and amazement, you can also see the stark difference between the way Joo Won carries himself physically in real life versus reel life. For example, you can see in BTS and on 1N2D, that his mannerisms are cute and full of aegyo. Even the way he walks is more like a dork. So viewers are shocked to see how suave Joo Won was as Lee Kangto. His mannerisms, his wink, his cheeky playboy smile, his confident swagger, the smart way he carries that white police uniform, the cool and heroic way Gaksital entered every scene and the awesome fights he did himself(often without the stunt double), the contrast is like night and day.

eab081ec8b9ced8388-e01-120530-hdtv-xvid- 

560943_418735854856442_1214241853_n-1.jp

credits: photos from joo won facebook pages, Joo Won Tie Ba on Baidu, King and various web sources

mrdimples@soompi

ctfrsgp said:

coolreborn wrote: »

ctfrsgp said:

coolreborn wrote: »

Afternoon Delight : Inviting Lips

Hey, I changed it!

@coolreborn then the scene no longer funny anymore

@ctfrsgp: Well, its still funny for me. Why... I'm looking at him and holding a lipstick. ;))

@coolreborn oh! tatz wat u meant by u changed it. then itz funny... Cutie putting on lip gloss

ctfrsgp said:

coolreborn

wrote:

»

ctfrsgp said:<br />

<br />

<br />

coolreborn wrote: »<br />

ctfrsgp said:

coolreborn wrote: »<br />

Afternoon Delight : Inviting Lips<br />

Hey, I changed it! <br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

@coolreborn

then the scene no longer funny anymore <br />

<br />

<br />

@ctfrsgp

: Well, its still funny for me. Why... I'm looking at him and holding a lipstick.

;))

@coolreborn oh! tatz wat u meant by u changed it. then itz funny... Cutie putting on lip gloss

@ctfrsgp: Deary, where did you're imagination go... of course he needs to put it on first... coz after that he'll put it on me doing this :-* .... hahahahaha. Ah moaty afternoon.

@coolreborn U get moaty while I grow moldy in my imagination while trying to dart grenades thrown at me by my QBs and the other worker bees here in my office :D

@mrdimples And the moaters.  Looks like all of the moaters here are anticipating the number 6 segment. And if they can only petition that you will post the segment 6 immediately, they will

Moaters, that is why its in number six!!!! It is as sexy as the number 6 ok.

158347s.jpg
fr ownerInDevianartPerGoogleImages