Do You Need Korean Help?

Jaeho

Guest heartkiller

i have a question for those who have taken first year korean in college would you reccomend i take it online or regular? they are offering it in the summer but the only class open is online

Guest HERMIT

This can't possibly be the correct way to order a Coke in Korean, could it?

Watch instructional link: 

Ordering a Coke in Korean

tumblr_m4cammZJNi1qgolbro1_500.jpg

I'm not convinced.

I think I'm just going to order a Pepsi instead.  Just to be on the safe side.  :ph34r:

^ lol

Hey what is the difference between the following sentences?

난 사과를 먹었어.

난 사과를 먹었는데. 

난 사과를 먹었잖아. 

난 사과를 먹었지. 

난 사과를 먹었다고. 

난 사과를 먹어.

난 사과를 먹고있어.

난 사과를 먹지.

난 사과를 먹다.

난 사과를 먹어야.

난 사과를 먹어야되.

난 사과를 먹어야지.

난 사과를 먹기.

난 사과를 먹어거야.

난 사과를 먹어겠어. 

난 사과를 먹을래.

난 사과를 먹을거예요.

난 사과를 먹을게.

Hmm, this is really difficult to explain all at once. They all mean different things and some of the sentences are incomplete. I haven't been to any Korean-learning sites in a while. Does anyone have a good site that explains the grammar here?

Hey what is the difference between the following sentences?

난 사과를 먹었어.

난 사과를 먹었는데. 

난 사과를 먹었잖아. 

난 사과를 먹었지. 

난 사과를 먹었다고. 

난 사과를 먹어.

난 사과를 먹고있어.

난 사과를 먹지.

난 사과를 먹다.

난 사과를 먹어야.

난 사과를 먹어야되.

난 사과를 먹어야지.

난 사과를 먹기.

난 사과를 먹어거야.

난 사과를 먹어겠어. 

난 사과를 먹을래.

난 사과를 먹을거예요.

난 사과를 먹을게.

Thanks! *quoted image*

Not sure about all of them, but I can tell you some:

난 사과를 먹었어. = I ate an apple.

난 사과를 먹었는데. = I ate an apple, but _____

난 사과를 먹었잖아. = I did not eat an apple.

난 사과를 먹었지 = Yes, I ate an apple. (sort of like confirming that you ate an apple)

난 사과를 먹어. = I am eating an apple.

난 사과를 먹지 = Yes, I am eating an apple. (again with the confirmation thing, except this time it's in present tense)

Guest vanillastarlight

Hi! I have a 13 y/o Korean student who was sent here by her parents to study for a year. She's really really sad and still cannot adjust. I can't blame her though. 

anyway, I really want to comfort her and give encouragement but her English is still very poor. can you translate this for me please? Thanks a lot.

Hello! Please always remember that I am not only your tutor but your sister and friend as well.

don't think that you are alone because I'm always here for you. you can tell me your worries anytime.

study hard so you can get good grades. I know you can do it! continue to work hard and do your best always! 

Thanks a lot! :) 

Not sure about all of them, but I can tell you some:

난 사과를 먹었어. = I ate an apple.

난 사과를 먹었는데. = I ate an apple, but _____

난 사과를 먹었잖아. = I did not eat an apple. I ate an apple, you know. I ate an apple, didn't I. Well, I ate an apple.

난 사과를 먹었지 = Yes, I ate an apple. (sort of like confirming that you ate an apple)

난 사과를 먹어. = I am eating an apple. + I eat an apple

난 사과를 먹지 = Yes, I am eating an apple. (again with the confirmation thing, except this time it's in present tense)

Added corrections/additions in blue. 

~잖아 is a little hard to explain. Literally it's the shortened form of ~지 않아, but it let's the person know you really did something.

Hi! I have a 13 y/o Korean student who was sent here by her parents to study for a year. She's really really sad and still cannot adjust. I can't blame her though. 

anyway, I really want to comfort her and give encouragement but her English is still very poor. can you translate this for me please? Thanks a lot.

Hello! Please always remember that I am not only your tutor but your sister and friend as well.

don't think that you are alone because I'm always here for you. you can tell me your worries anytime.

study hard so you can get good grades. I know you can do it! continue to work hard and do your best always! 

Thanks a lot! :) 

안녕! 

(What she calls you)는 (her name)의 선생님이기도 하지만 (her name)의 언니랑 친구이기도 하다는 걸 잊지마.

언니가 옆에 있으니까 혼자라고 생각하지마. 마음이 안 좋을 때 언제든지 언니한테 기대도 돼.

좋은 성적 받도록 공부 열심히 해. (Her name)는 잘할 수 있어! 꼭 최선을 다하고 앞으로도 열심히 해!

Guest shizus

Hello! I'm applying to level up at Infinite's official daum cafe but sice last week they don't accept English answers anymore. Could somebody help me translate this?

-I knew about INFINITE through the internet around their debut with Comeback Again. Since I liked their music I started following their activities but I REALLY got into them around the BTD era. Since then onwards I bought all of their albums. I usually don't sign up for fancafes but with INFINITE I felt I needed to support them by signing up so I did.

-I expect INFINITE to keep on growing while maintaining their own color and music style. I look forward to see them singing, acting, doing musicals, and whatever they want to do because I'm sure they will do great in anything they choose to do. I'd like to see their composing and lyric writing, also playing instruments since I've read they are interested in that and are learning about it. It would be awesome if they could have a World Tour including South America in the future. In short, I look forward to see INFINITE express themselves freely through their music and keep on growing and making wonderful songs.

Thnak you in advance!

Guest jessicaheesica

hellooo i need your help T^T^T

i bought hair roll at etude when i was in korean. but i dont know how to use. lol.

'how to apply' is in korean of course.. could u help me translate to english?? T________T

http://twitpic.com/9over3

http://twitpic.com/9ovfhg

thx in advance ♥ ^^

Guest sudu1won

Hello! I'm applying to level up at Infinite's official daum cafe but sice last week they don't accept English answers anymore. Could somebody help me translate this?

-I knew about INFINITE through the internet around their debut with Comeback Again. Since I liked their music I started following their activities but I REALLY got into them around the BTD era. Since then onwards I bought all of their albums. I usually don't sign up for fancafes but with INFINITE I felt I needed to support them by signing up so I did.

-I expect INFINITE to keep on growing while maintaining their own color and music style. I look forward to see them singing, acting, doing musicals, and whatever they want to do because I'm sure they will do great in anything they choose to do. I'd like to see their composing and lyric writing, also playing instruments since I've read they are interested in that and are learning about it. It would be awesome if they could have a World Tour including South America in the future. In short, I look forward to see INFINITE express themselves freely through their music and keep on growing and making wonderful songs.

Thnak you in advance!

인터넷으로 첫 미니 앨범의「다시 돌아와」에 통해 인피니트를 처음 알게 되었고요. 원래는 인피니트 오빠들의 독특한 노래와 춤을 그냥 좋아해서 조금씩 따라하곤 했었는데 BTD를 발매했을 때 이 강렬한 비트가 있는 노래를 듣자마자 인피니트에 관심이 많아지고 바졌어요. 인피니트에 정말 바졌으니까 응원하고 싶어서 앨범을 지금까지 다 샀어요. 그래서 인피니트를 더욱더 응원하고자 팬카페를 등업신청하겠어요.

인피니트의 색다른 음악 콘셉트가 끝까지 한결같이 변하지 않았으면 좋겠어요. 오빠들의 노래나 연기나 뮤지컬이든지 다 잘될 것 같아서 진심으로 기대하고 있어요. 개인적으로는 무대에서 오빠들이 스스로 악기를 연주하는 모습을 진짜 보고 싶어요. 앞으로도 남아메리카를 비롯해 전세계로 진출이 한번 진행될 수 있다면 정말 좋을 것 같아요! 간략하게 말하면 인피니트가 계속 좋은 노래를 만들고 음악을 통해 자신을 자유로이 표현하고 끊임없이 개발해 발전해 갈 것을 기대하고 있어요.

Guest sudu1won

Thank you very much sudu.won ^__^

you're welcome~

There's actually a small typo in the first translation above. I've bolded the corrections below:

인터넷으로 첫 미니 앨범의「다시 돌아와」에 통해 인피니트를 처음 알게 되었고요. 원래는 인피니트 오빠들의 독특한 노래와 춤을 그냥 좋아해서 조금씩 따라하곤 했었는데 BTD를 발매했을 때 이 강렬한 비트가 있는 노래를 듣자마자 인피니트에 관심이 많아지고 졌어요. 인피니트에 정말 졌으니까 응원하고 싶어서 앨범을 지금까지 다 샀어요. 그래서 인피니트를 더욱더 응원하고자 팬카페를 등업신청하겠어요.

Sorry, I didn't tell you before. I spend so much time searching high and low for an "edit" button but I couldn't find it. In the end, I realized they haven't restored the edit function yet. I totally missed reading the announcement above! T_T

Oh and be sure to follow every single steps and requirements when posting the application to level up at INFINITE's Daum Fan Cafe because if you missed one step, they're going to reject your application and then you have to start all over again~

Guest rogue870304

i'm trying to buy something from a vendor in Korea. i have a few questions to ask him/her. can someone please help me with the below sentences? thanks a lot :D

1. When is the manufactured date and the expiry date?

2. Can you please ship it without the box?

3. Please bubble wrap it and ship without the box.

4. Where is made in?

Guest shizus

you're welcome~

There's actually a small typo in the first translation above. I've bolded the corrections below:

Sorry, I didn't tell you before. I spend so much time searching high and low for an "edit" button but I couldn't find it. In the end, I realized they haven't restored the edit function yet. I totally missed reading the announcement above! T_T

Oh and be sure to follow every single steps and requirements when posting the application to level up at INFINITE's Daum Fan Cafe because if you missed one step, they're going to reject your application and then you have to start all over again~

Ah, thank you! Soompi's new version is a bit confusing for me too, it will take a while to get used to it ^^

I'm reapplying again because it got rejected once again xD (but I'm not giving up!). The first time answers 2 and 7 were in English so I thought that was the problem but even though this time it was in Korean I got this message again: "2, 7번 오답입니다. 정확히 확인하신 후, 재신청 바랍니다". Maybe I have the translation to the questions wrong?

2. 인피니트를 알게 된 계기 또는 관심을 가지게 되어 카페에 가입하게 된 경로 두 줄 이상 작성

(엔터, 특수문자, 띄어쓰기, 자음모음 분할 안됨)

7. 인피니트에게 바라는 점을 세 줄 이상 작성(엔터, 특수문자, 띄어쓰기, 자음모음 분할 안됨)

Also, I just realized that the text says "오빠" but I'm older than Infinite members, should I replace it with "동생"?

Sorry for bothering so much *bows*

I have questions!! okay here's the lyrics of Ailee's Heaven that I'm having issues understanding.

1. 니가 있는 곳에 나도 함께 할게..

2. 니가 가는 곳에 나도 함께 갈게..

From what I've seen, this is how both sentences break down (literally):

1. You, in, where, I, together, I'll

2. You, going, where, I, together, I'll be there.

*Correct me if I'm wrong...

This is what both sentences translate to according to several translations:

1. Wherever you are, I will be there too.

2. Wherever you go, I will go there too.

My problem is with the word hamkke. What is the reason that it's in that sentence if it means together? It's a little confusing. Is it a placer or something?

Thank you for your help!

A lot of Korean sentences will sound weird if they're translated too literally.

The translations drop the "together" or "with" because it's redundant in English. So, the more literal translations would be "Wherever you are, I will be with you there, too" and "Wherever you go, I will go there with you, too."

Guest sudu1won

Ah, thank you! Soompi's new version is a bit confusing for me too, it will take a while to get used to it ^^

I'm reapplying again because it got rejected once again xD (but I'm not giving up!). The first time answers 2 and 7 were in English so I thought that was the problem but even though this time it was in Korean I got this message again: "2, 7번 오답입니다. 정확히 확인하신 후, 재신청 바랍니다". Maybe I have the translation to the questions wrong?

2. 인피니트를 알게 된 계기 또는 관심을 가지게 되어 카페에 가입하게 된 경로 두 줄 이상 작성

(엔터, 특수문자, 띄어쓰기, 자음모음 분할 안됨)

7. 인피니트에게 바라는 점을 세 줄 이상 작성(엔터, 특수문자, 띄어쓰기, 자음모음 분할 안됨)

Copy the translations and paste under the questions and then, make sure there's no empty spaces between the full stop and the next sentence in both translations.

For example,

[...되었고요. 원래는 인피니트....](there's a space here between the full stop and 원래, right?)

change this to>>[...되었고요.원래는 인피니트...] (no more space)

Do you understand this?

Also, other than that, don't change anything else, just copy paste as it is.

Also, I just realized that the text says "오빠" but I'm older than Infinite members, should I replace it with "동생"?

Sorry for bothering so much *bows*

Ah I see, you're older. I thought you're younger than them...ㅋㅋㅋ

Just change 오빠 to 인피니트 then if you feel uncomfortable calling them 오빠.

No need to use 동생.

Guest sudu1won

I have questions!! okay here's the lyrics of Ailee's Heaven that I'm having issues understanding.

1. 니가 있는 곳에 나도 함께 할게..

2. 니가 가는 곳에 나도 함께 갈게..

From what I've seen, this is how both sentences break down (literally):

1. You, in, where, I, together, I'll

2. You, going, where, I, together, I'll be there.

*Correct me if I'm wrong...

This is what both sentences translate to according to several translations:

1. Wherever you are, I will be there too.

2. Wherever you go, I will go there too.

My problem is with the word hamkke. What is the reason that it's in that sentence if it means together? It's a little confusing. Is it a placer or something?

Thank you for your help!

The translator just chose not to use the word "together" here. That's all.

Of course, the lyrics can be translated as:

1. I'll be together with you where you are.

2. I'll go together with you where you go.

Yes, my translations above are slightly different in nuance(?), perhaps quite awkward too than the ones you mentioned, but if you want 함께 to be translated then that's one way to do it.

You have to remember, song lyrics are not meant to be literally translated. Some words are just left behind to give a more natural translation. :)

Guest sudu1won

rogue870304

wrote:

»

i'm trying to buy something from a vendor in Korea. i have a few questions to ask him/her. can someone please help me with the below sentences? thanks a lot

:D

1. When is the manufactured date and the expiry date?

2. Can you please ship it without the box?

3. Please bubble wrap it and ship without the box.

4. Where is <Product Name> made in?

Guest Jennifer Harcourt

thanks jaeho that is quite a help!!!! need to improve my korean so i ca actually go further than how are you?

thanks!! *-*

The translator just chose not to use the word "together" here. That's all.

Of course, the lyrics can be translated as:

1. I'll be together with you where you are.

2. I'll go together with you where you go.

Yes, my translations above are slightly different in nuance(?), perhaps quite awkward too than the ones you mentioned, but if you want 함께 to be translated then that's one way to do it.

You have to remember, song lyrics are not meant to be literally translated. Some words are just left behind to give a more natural translation. :)

Yeah that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something. ahha. Thank you!!

@Jaeho Thank you!