Notebook/laptop/tablet Pc Buying Guide *updated 2011*

Godotology

Ivy is merely a die shrink of Sandy with 3D tri-gate and improved integrated GPU. 5-15% performance gain on processor side, up to 60% increase on GPU, and some power savings due to smaller size and configurable TDP. The Tick release isn't that impressive but still progressive. If you can't hold out until summer or later, go for Sandy. 

I'm hearing Haswell is the one to wait since it is a new chip architecture. Windows 8 is always available anytime. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ ok, thanks for the advice & techno info re: Intel's next gen processors. Guess I can hold off till summer then. yeah, the most important features I'll look for in my next laptop will be the screen & keyboard/touchpad. They are the two user interfaces you use the most on a laptop but it's amazing how many manufacturers decide to skimp here. :(

Samsung has its own version of IPS called Super PLS. I don't know if they use it in laptops yet but they do have the technology and capacity to manufacture any size so desired.

Touchpads aren't so hard to improve but Windows is fundamentally a problem because the operating system does not have a gestural interface design in mind. Maybe 8 will finally progress into a modern platform.

I have heard of that Super PLS that was developed by Samsung to counter LG's dominance of the IPS panel market. I know they have released some monitors with that tech last year & as well as this year's CES but I don't know if they have plans to manufacture it for laptops yet. I haven't seen it in person either but I've read reviews that say it's definitely superior to Samsung's older S-PVA tech especially in terms of color gamut and it's basically a wash with IPS in terms of viewing angles & picture quality.

Yup, I agree about Apple's superiority in terms of their touchpads over equivalent PC touchpads. Let's hope Windows 8 can finally rectify this issue. Speaking of Apple, I have always preferred their 16:10 screen aspect ratio over the 16:9 commonly found in PC laptops. I think Lenovo was the last holdout with the Thinkpad line until they finally succumbed to the 16:9 screen trend.

I'm currently looking at the new HP Envy 15, Sony Vaio SE & the Samsung Chronos 7 as my everyday workhorse laptop. The first two have vastly superior screens compared to the Chronos 7 even taking into account their IPS related red saturation issues. The HP & Sony also have full HD 1080p screens whereas the Samsung makes do with a 1600 x 900 but that doesn't really matter so much to me. I would gladly buy the 7 series if Sammy decided to put in a Super PLS screen. Unfortunately, it seems they are saving their best panels for the more aesthetically pleasing but less full featured 9 series laptops.

All the notebooks launched at CES 2012 had a virtually identical but non-infringing design heavily borrowed from Cupertino. Interesting emerging market but the companies are not taking the big risks to differentiate themselves (from each other) and innovate. 

Imagine walking into a store this fall and seeing a whole row of silver laptops that have the same processors, same screens, and with only slightly different bezels and keyboards. Would you be aggravated by that scene? I would walk away and never look at them again.

*quoted image*

Build quality should be improved if they don't cheap out but I haven't seen many of these out in the wild yet. ULV processors are downthrottled in normal use but they can turbo up to more than adequate speeds. Throw in solid state drives and even the $800 configurations will be fast. The 22nm die shrink should improve performance but CPU performance will not improve much until Haswell in 2013; 2012 is mainly about getting this smaller size and improving the integrated GPU.

The real question is how the overall experience will be for the user. If Windows 8 doesn't improve on things, people will have the same old complaints and be inclined to jump over to OSX. Depending on the models, the price gap is small between these and the Macbooks. Does the original or copy usually win the tests?

my thoughts exactly, how do they intend to build brand identity when it looks similar to the MBA? The few new ultrabooks that look distinct (IMHO) are Lenovo's offerings that looks like a thin book, and Samsung's one.

speaking of Lenovo, I think the one thing that most interested in me that was at CES is the Lenovo Yoga.. one step to my ideal Tablet/notebook combination.. many have tried but haven't gottenn it the way I'd like it to be.

Guest macchiato!

Hi! Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be very clear :')

I'm a college freshman majoring in Photography and I need a new laptop that has good portability and the ability to run many processor-intensive programs at once.

I'll definitely be carrying my laptop around often at school and most likely even my DSLR on the same days. I also have my other school work, maybe text books, etc... so I wouldn't like to carry anything so heavy.

I'm going to use a lot of Adobe products (Photoshop, Lightroom, etc) and most likely many at the same time. I'll probably write essays and normal school work too, but I have a PC at home that I can use.

All my friends are recommending that I get a MacBook (a lot of the Graphic Design majors said they really like the handy gestures/shortcuts), so I took a look at the Apple site and have my eyes on the 13" Air and Pro. With the specifications I'm looking at, the Pro would be about $30 more for basically the same features except with 2.8ghz instead of Air's 1.7ghz.

By no means is $1300 pocket money, but I want to have a laptop that I won't want to throw away in the next few years. I think both look nice, but I admit I'm a bit more attracted to the design of Air.

The basic specifications/features of the ones I chose:

* Pro: 2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 * 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB * 128GB Solid State Drive * 4.5lb

* Air: 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 * 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM * 128GB Flash Storage * 2.96lb

Which MacBook is most suitable for my type of use and/or the better (long-term) investment? Do I need more than 4GB RAM? I don't know about many of these technical specifications so please tell me if any of these features are wrong for me!

Please also recommend me other laptops (I prefer 13") you feel are right for me... unless they're more expensive, then probably not haha!

The Air's processor isn't slow. It runs at a lower clockspeed because it is designed to produce less heat and consume less power on typical loads. When needed, the cores can turbo up to around 2.XGhz depending on the model. This performance complaint was refuted when the models were first released.

4GB is fine for most Photoshop files buy 8GB provides a good cushion if and when you edit multiple large files at once. I've ran and done work in Photoshop and Lightroom with 1GB so memory isn't necessarily the main concern. 

I'd personally hold out for the next refresh in a few months. The unibody Macbook Pro has thermal issues and the newer Intel chips might finally resolve those problems. There's also talk of the Pros ditching the optical drive and having some different internals and maybe external appearance. 

Guest macchiato!

The Air's processor isn't slow. It runs at a lower clockspeed because it is designed to produce less heat and consume less power on typical loads. When needed, the cores can turbo up to around 2.XGhz depending on the model. This performance complaint was refuted when the models were first released.

4GB is fine for most Photoshop files buy 8GB provides a good cushion if and when you edit multiple large files at once. I've ran and done work in Photoshop and Lightroom with 1GB so memory isn't necessarily the main concern. 

I'd personally hold out for the next refresh in a few months. The unibody Macbook Pro has thermal issues and the newer Intel chips might finally resolve those problems. There's also talk of the Pros ditching the optical drive and having some different internals and maybe external appearance. 

Thank you!

I wish I could wait for the next one (I read a couple of the previous posts about it), but I need a laptop within the next few weeks. Do you think buying an Air or Pro right now wouldn't be worth it because of the next refresh?

The concern is whether you care for the optical drive or not. They'll probably be removed in future revisions and if you really hate that thing but want the higher-performance of a Pro, wait it out. Future Pro models assuming the optical is out should have a better battery life and thinner profile, making it lighter also (under 4 pounds). 

If you can live with the optical drive and the weight that comes with the current Pro models (as opposed to the Air), go for it. Whatever happens, you can pop in some memory down the line and swap the optical drive for a drive caddy later on.

Guest macchiato!

The concern is whether you care for the optical drive or not. They'll probably be removed in future revisions and if you really hate that thing but want the higher-performance of a Pro, wait it out. Future Pro models assuming the optical is out should have a better battery life and thinner profile, making it lighter also (under 4 pounds). 

If you can live with the optical drive and the weight that comes with the current Pro models (as opposed to the Air), go for it. Whatever happens, you can pop in some memory down the line and swap the optical drive for a drive caddy later on.

An optical drive is not something I need. I'd definitely be interested in a Pro if it were lighter... unfortunately, I can't really wait out the few months to get that. I know Apple has a recycle program though so if I do end up getting a Macbook now and really can't stand not having the new Pro instead of whatever I got later on, it's an option :)

Thank you for the replies!

Guest hikari-tadashi

I thought OSX was a nice fresh start too, I have no complaints about the software. During the first year, I loved my MB and detested windows, until I realised how bad the hardware was compared to windows notebooks that were half the price. I don't ever expect to use the hardware to full capacity (bad idea anyway) but I like having the additional power?

What's your reason for wanting a MB exactly? Tired of windows? Want something different? You won't run into many issues regarding compatibility nowadays, so I wouldn't really worry about that, but are you willing to spend 2x as much money for a notebook that's noticeably less powerful for its aesthetic appeal? My main complaint about MB's is their price for performance which is shockingly bad, although the software is nicer. I'm set on getting the 5750, just sayin'.

yeah, i wanna try sth different (:

i think i would go for a MB, sigh. i dunno much about computers and laptop though. so yea -__-

the new refresh is coming soon aite? when at the latest do you guys think? because i dont think i can wait for long ~_~

in the meantime i will just use my mom's ultrabook >.>;

April is when the first mobile i7 chips are slated for release and there is a model that corresponds to the current i7 quad-core chip at a similar price bracket. May is when the mainstream chips are released so they could wait for a May/June announcement to refresh everything at the same time.

• 3 months later...
Guest Luuuri.

Hey guys!

I'm going to the US in December and I'm planning to buy a new laptop there, since it's much cheaper than where I live. 

Which laptops do you guys recommend to a college student? Btw I'm majoring in accounting and I'm only gonna use it for college purposes and to read emails, watch videos and a little bit of photoshopping (CS5).

I can only pay $500, so I can't afford a MacBook Air or an ultrabook. My country puts a lame tax on electronic products bought abroad if the total price of the products are above $500. :(

I already own a Sony Vaio and was thinking of buying a Sony laptop again, but people said it's not worth the price. Any suggestions? I don't want a dell or an HP - I've got a lot of friends that had a lot of trouble with laptops from those brands.

The HP Probooks are fair for their price but if you have the extra money a few months from now, their Elitebook line is worth checking out. Heavy (compared to thin laptops) but built to last. Dell business line is alright but the newer Latitude line feels cheaper than their old one. If you buy any laptop, reinstall Windows on it.

My other suggestion is an iPad, whatever version is not important. Does what most people need on a laptop and is far more convenient to carry around. This varies depending on your demands for Photoshop.

Ask the same question in a few more months - a lot of laptops are still waiting to be announced.

Guest iyagi

I've been looking at the Asus U46SV for a little while now and I think I'm pretty much set on it. I most definitely need a better laptop for my major since I run a lot of demanding programs, and my current laptop is turning 3 this year and has began showing problems with how many programs I need open for schoolwork. I heard the graphics are better on the U46SV in comparison to the U46E because of the Nvidia graphics processor. The problem is I'm finding the U46SV very difficult to find in stores or online. It was released October of last year, so I'm surprised it's not as available? The other U46 laptops seem to be plenty in stock, but the SV I just cannot find, at least not new.

Anyone own an Asus U46SV? My decision is pretty much set, but I'd love to hear opinions and also where I could find it. Or if you have alternatives that would be great too. I'm pretty set on continuing my PC trend, but my personal requirements are 6GB RAM and up (preferably 8GB and upwards actually), better than average graphics/display, and long battery life. Size is not a huge issue, though I'd prefer one that's a little more portable, like around 5lb or less. But not looking for a netbook. Eventually I plan on doing a dual screen setup anyways, so I'm fine with say a 14" display.

Do you play games? Most graphic cards are good for that at the cost of heat and decreased battery life. Performance-wise, the new HD4000 integrated option from Intel should be enough for a boost from GPU acceleration. Most programs still depend on the CPU and hard drive so whatever money you can save should go towards a solid state drive.

The above-average screens are harder to find. Thinkpads have this FHD+ with high color gamut and HP has their expensive Dreamcolor and the Radiance display that sometimes comes into stock. Samsung has the PLS in their Series 9. Some screens on Dells use TN panels + a better backlight. Since you'll be using a second monitor, I would not stress over screen quality on the portable machine.

Memory is cheap. Not something to look at when buying the system.

List the programs you use, how much of it, and I can see what will fit your needs.

Guest iyagi

@orangeman Thanks for the input! I normally play games on my PS3 but I planned on getting back into League and my old MMORPGS when I got a new laptop since my current one just can't handle the gaming programs. I heard the U46SV and Asus laptops in general are really quiet and don't have a tendency to overheat, whereas Sony Vaios (like mine) have a bad reputation of overheating. Asus seems to have a decent line of gaming notebooks, but I wasn't sure if I should spring for those. Overall I just really like the company, but I can always look into other brands. Admittedly aesthetics are a part of my choice as well (as a design student I can't really help it lol), so I'm kind of picky about how it looks.

I will most likely be running programs like Photoshop CS5, After Effects, Flash, Illustrator, etc. My major deals heavily with animation, so I'll most likely be running more than one of these at the same time. Also later down the road we'll be using Maya for 3D animation. I'm just sort of a heavy computer user in general so I run Chrome, iTunes, GOM player, Skype, etc. on a daily basis, plus gaming.

U46SV seems to be discontinued as of February. A new model should be out in the summer. 

A dedicated GPU tends to produce more heat when it's stressed (such as gaming). It's an inherent design constraint for all machines although the bigger and bulkier they are, the better heat management. Newer laptops have on-demand switching. I don't feel you will need a dedicated graphics card for your daily tasks. Photoshop doesn't really use it (benefits more from RAM and faster drives), After Effects might load previews slightly faster, and Maya will most likely stress your CPU more than anything else. If you want to play demanding games, surely consider it but otherwise, the discrete GPU is optional and can save a few hundred dollars for some other upgrade.

Battery life is generally the compromising factor. Longer life = without dedicated GPU.

^ yup, that new model to replace the older U46SV looks decent save the typical crap 768p screen resolution.

http://notebookitalia.it/asus-u47-ultraportatile-intel-ivy-bridge-13909

http://www.pcworld.com/article/249350/asus_u47_ultraportable_stuffs_power_into_13inch_chassis.html

I like the thin bezel & overall decent specs for the price but I wish Asus offered a higher rez panel as an option. I'm not expecting an IPS panel but at least 1600 x 900 300nit panel would've been nice. Also, their standard low grade TN panels are nothing to shout about either & unfortunately, it appears this model is no exception. I know Asus will be offering full HD IPS displays in their Zenbook line of ultrabooks but it's a shame as there doesn't appear to be a supplier of IPS panels in the 14" size atm.

Archived