Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Joseph Kony

Replies

• TuffcoreTuffcore Karmic RedemptionPosts: 5,204Member

IDOL

How does he even look like?
    Pain is temporary
    Glory is forever
    whistlei
  • SunniRiseSunniRise Someone... feed me. Baker StreetPosts: 3,297Member

SUPERSTAR

Can someone give me more explanation of why Invisible Children is a scam? And how did we gain information on his name? Also why is 2012 more important than last year or the year before? Why capture him now and not before? (Why bring awareness now instead of earlier before instead of waiting?)

Anyways, I do hope they capture said man and will bring him to justice.
    (411)
    Feel free to follow. 
    green.peaI||usi0nzchrissavickaryeetinatran_
  • sweetfantasy09sweetfantasy09 Still searching for myself... 慶太の世界Posts: 1,564Member

IDOL

edited March 2012
    watch this people. i didn't know what this is until i see everyone on my list are liking this video and posting this.

joseph kony

we got to make this stop!
    Please read the signature rules
  • angels.disguiseangels.disguise Posts: 1,846Member
    Malice_Kaiser wrote on 07 March 2012 - 07:00 PM:

Joseph Kony is an awful man, but Invisible Children is a SCAM.

I am an avid supporter of Invisible Children. That being said, I acknowledge that there are flaws in the organization that need to be looked at but
    the message they send have inspired and educated thousands of people to look beyond their own problems, connect with one another, and stand up
    for a just cause. Don't overlook the good they do and don't jump on the bandwagon.
    Do your own research and come up with your own conclusions.

OP you should link articles.
    SammyCoutureI||usi0nzNEYUGN93ZoidbergMDchrissavic
  • whistleiwhistlei dream with me a place aligned with you.Posts: 2,300Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited March 2012
    ronald. wrote on 07 March 2012 - 06:24 AM:

I believe that Kony is a wicked man, but there's two sides to every story. If you take a bit time to do a little research, you'll find out that the Invisible Children organization is highly doubted for its movement.
    This writing pretty much summarizes my point:
    http://www.reddit.co...spicious_about/

I'll add these as well.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble - this site is currently down for some reason. Most likely because tumblr is always like that. But I already saved the entire post, so I'll quote it here:

We got trouble.

For those asking what you can do to help, please link to visiblechildren.tumblr.com wherever you see KONY 2012 posts. And tweet a link to this page to famous people on Twitter who are talking about KONY 2012!

I do not doubt for a second that those involved in KONY 2012 have great intentions, nor do I doubt for a second that Joseph Kony is a very evil man. But despite this, I’m strongly opposed to the KONY 2012 campaign.

KONY 2012 is the product of a group called Invisible Children, a controversial activist group and not-for-profit. They’ve released 11 films, most with an accompanying bracelet colour (KONY 2012 is fittingly red), all of which focus on Joseph Kony. When we buy merch from them, when we link to their video, when we put up posters linking to their website, we support the organization. I don’t think that’s a good thing, and I’m not alone.

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal for an issue which arguably needs action and aid, not awareness, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they lack an external audit committee. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.

Still, the bulk of Invisible Children’s spending isn’t on supporting African militias, but on awareness and filmmaking. Which can be great, except that Foreign Affairs has claimed that Invisible Children (among others) “manipulates facts for strategic purposes, exaggerating the scale of LRA abductions and murders and emphasizing the LRA’s use of innocent children as soldiers, and portraying Kony — a brutal man, to be sure — as uniquely awful, a Kurtz-like embodiment of evil.” He’s certainly evil, but exaggeration and manipulation to capture the public eye is unproductive, unprofessional and dishonest.

As Chris Blattman, a political scientist at Yale, writes on the topic of IC’s programming, “There’s also something inherently misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous, about the idea of rescuing children or saving of Africa. […] It hints uncomfortably of the White Man’s Burden. Worse, sometimes it does more than hint. The savior attitude is pervasive in advocacy, and it inevitably shapes programming. Usually misconceived programming.”

Still, Kony’s a bad guy, and he’s been around a while. Which is why the US has been involved in stopping him for years. U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has sent multiple missions to capture or kill Kony over the years. And they’ve failed time and time again, each provoking a ferocious response and increased retaliative slaughter. The issue with taking out a man who uses a child army is that his bodyguards are children. Any effort to capture or kill him will almost certainly result in many children’s deaths, an impact that needs to be minimized as much as possible. Each attempt brings more retaliation. And yet Invisible Children supports military intervention. Kony has been involved in peace talks in the past, which have fallen through. But Invisible Children is now focusing on military intervention.

Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re supporting the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.

Is awareness good? Yes. But these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow. Giving your money and public support to Invisible Children so they can spend it on supporting ill-advised violent intervention and movie #12 isn’t helping. Do I have a better answer? No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean that you should support KONY 2012 just because it’s something. Something isn’t always better than nothing. Sometimes it’s worse.

If you want to write to your Member of Parliament or your Senator or the President or the Prime Minister, by all means, go ahead. If you want to post about Joseph Kony’s crimes on Facebook, go ahead. But let’s keep it about Joseph Kony, not KONY 2012.

~ Grant Oyston

Grant Oyston is a sociology and political science student at Acadia University in Nova Scotia, Canada. You can help spread the word about this by linking to his blog at visiblechildren.tumblr.com anywhere you see posts about KONY 2012.

Please do not email Grant except to provide alternative causes, or with media requests, as I am no longer able to read emails (which I’m receiving at a rate of over 1000 an hour).

http://seet.weebly.com/1/post/2012/03/concerning-kony-2012.html - pretty much on one side of the story, but use it to understand the situation a little better.

http://justiceinconflict.org/2012/03/07/taking-kony-2012-down-a-notch/

My facebook friends are completely ignoring this btw.
    take me to a safe place. || sha. our. *findingyou.
    lets place the hardships aside and embrace life. tumblr.

endeavorI||usi0nzichigo_no_powderwitcheryfabrications.Saseumi
  • endeavorendeavor Posts: 4,011Administrator

ADMIN

edited March 2012
    ^ Thanks for the links.

I can say that I was one of those people that probably didn't know a whole lot about Invisible Children before this happened. I was asked by a close friend to sign the Kony 2012 pledge and post it on my FB/tweet it so I did. Kind of mindless of me to do that without knowing anything but a part of it came from the trust I had for my friend.

Funny enough I received a phone call from another close friend telling me, "WTH is wrong with you supporting Kony 2012?!" Bewildered by that phone call I did some research of my own. After reading more about Invisible Children I can't say that I can fully support the group as there are way too many suspicious things about it. I do, however, support spreading the awareness of Joesph Kony just not Kony 2012.

(Yes, I know that pledging and posting it on FB/tweeting it aren't anything compared to donating but I was so close to donating had it not been for my other friend.)
    whistleidreamy21ichigo_no_powderwitcheryfabrications.LittlePinky82
  • monkeyinabarrelmonkeyinabarrel Posts: 1,371Member

IDOL

edited March 2012
    ronald. wrote on 07 March 2012 - 09:24 AM:

I believe that Kony is a wicked man, but there's two sides to every story. If you take a bit time to do a little research, you'll find out that the Invisible Children organization is highly doubted for its movegTment.
    This writing pretty much summarizes my point:
    http://www.reddit.co...spicious_about/

ok I finally read through that and watched the video. They did make some good points, I'm a sucker for (tastefully done) sob stories (I'm going to be honest, some of the organizations TV commercials have gotten on my nerves). I would have fallen for it too. IC has good intentions but clearly doesn't have the best solution (though another issue is what is the best? It's not like we can just freeze this guys bank account)

Off topic: I looked at the red cross's CEO salary and s/he makes IC's CEO look like a dump (his isn't a bad amount-around $80,000). isn't $1 m a hefty sum? I could understand around $300 k because it's one of the biggest international charities and a lot of work has to go in to manage it but more than double of Obama? ludicrous! I probably wouldn't care so much if it weren't a charity...
  • dreamy21dreamy21 Posts: 859Member

IDOL

edited March 2012
    Invisible Children is such a scam.
    Kony isn't even active anymore...he's disappeared an been inactive since 2006 or so.
    Killing one man isn't going to stop what's been going on for DECADES.
    There are hundreds of other mass murderer chiefs in Africa...yet why are we only singling out Kony????
    I literally was shaking my head when my friend said she bought a stop Kony "Action Kit" from the website roflllllll.

Yes kill Kony...but not before the fraudsters make millions off of mob mentality!

Did you guys know that Invisible Children sends their funds to the Ugandan Military (which is under the control of President Museveni) to fight the rebels?
    This is like fighting fire with fire. They're only instigating more WAR and more DEATH.

The truth about Kony
    Spoiler:

I||usi0nzCharmingbestfriend96dreamerismLittlePinky82karyeetinatran_Saseumi
  • whistleiwhistlei dream with me a place aligned with you.Posts: 2,300Friend of Soompi

IDOL

IC made an official response to questions and critiques.

Invisiblechildren.com is officially back up & running & ready to handle all the love you've been sending our way. We've posted our official response to the various questions and concerns we're seeing around the blogosphere. Check it out and keep spreading the word.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html

angels.disguise
  • 58805880 Local Misanthrope CaliforniaPosts: 634Member

IDOL

>watch 27 min video
    >spam every social media website
    >don't bother researching
    >assume truth
    >become armchair activist

This generation. ಠ_ಠ
    The oxymoronic truth about people is that they will never fail to disappoint you.
    dreamy21PDURRRnauticalblueCharmingbestfriend96dreamerismwitcheryfabrications.karyeeSaseumiwinterofdiscontent
  • reinleereinlee Posts: 226Member
    I started a Kony 2012 event for my city on Facebook before properly researching, and I have to agree that some of the websites against IC has some logical arguments.
    This one is pretty good, for both the articles and the comments that people posted in response (it covers most of the perspectives people have on this): http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/03/07/guest_post_joseph_kony_is_not_in_uganda_and_other_complicated_things

I think the main thing is raising awareness, not necessarily donating or getting the kit. The saddest thing is that many people aren't aware of children soldiers (my mom wasn't aware of it either, which was a bit surprising). I don't see much harm in putting up Kony 2012 posters, because although the IC has some shady business going on, almost all the other charities are questionable also. There are two faces to every issue, it's a question of what you believe in. These organizations were created for a reason.
    tinatran_
  • 2partsvodka2partsvodka NanaXRen Posts: 3,832Friend of Soompi
    edited March 2012
    this guy needs to be stopped.,,it's sickening
  • ThisismblaqThisismblaq Posts: 19Member
    5880 wrote on 07 March 2012 - 08:33 PM:

>watch 27 min video
    >spam every social media website
    >don't bother researching
    >assume truth
    >become armchair activist

This generation. ಠ_ಠ

I should've worded my first post differently, I also wanted to see what other people thought of this, cause my entire school freaked out over the hype and is ignoring the other side of the story. Also just wanted to provide a bit of support, cause well support still helps.
  • I||usi0nzI||usi0nz New YorkPosts: 721Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited March 2012
    Its a huge twilight zone feeling going on with this Kony thing right now. Everyone on a friend' facebook page is writing about it, even the youth in middle schools. How did something thats dated back 10 years all of a sudden after 2 days spreads this fast? Propoganda for the US to go in and take over those newly found oil fields?

Why is everyone worried about 30,000 children becoming soldiers to fighting against a military thats just as immoral and corrupt. These things have been going on in Africa all the time and now its all of a sudden important for the common folk? Theres something fishy going on here. Youtube view counts on Ron Paul related videos never get updated like we want them to. Yet on this kony video its being updated constantly. 4 mil this morning and now currently at 7 mil. views.

American citizens are so focused on this yet they dont see the hypocracy of it. Our taxes fund our military that has killed 500,000 iraqi children through sanctions. The number continues to rise and these are just the children we are talking about. Theres something really john teshed up going on.

Kony hasnt even been active in uganda since 2006. The amount of "raping and pillaging" that he did is over exaggerated. Do not support the Kony 2012 movement as you will be suporting the ugandan army and ugandan army/sudanese peoples liberation army which have done there fair share of raping and pillaging. The conflict in uganda is not black and white, and there is no reason for us to have to pick sides. The people who made this documentary want the US to give weapons to uganda, and use US troops in uganda(already happening since last year). We are surely not in uganda to find the LRA either as there not even active there anymore, we are probably there to secure the newly found oil fields.

Kony may be a bad guy, but so are the people who are fighting him. It is not our job to stop him.

In addition to the image posted above by dreamy21 it's apparent to me that KONY 2012 is also part of an Obama re-election  campaign. I didn't start catching on until about 18:30 in the video  (where they get the triumphant response of "support" from Obama), but  from there the pro-Obama images and symbolism became more obvious.

@ 18:30 - 19:10 is the celebrated response from Obama.
    @  22:18 a "KONY 2012" poster that closely resembles the famous  Obama  campaign poster.
    @ 23:03 a "KONY 2012" sign right next to an  Obama 2012 sign (also the frame right before that is similar, but paired  with a Romney 2012 sign instead. Pick your poison I guess.)
    @ 23:12 -  23:19 a "2012" logo with the famous Obama red & blue theme again  (followed by a segment about petitioning a plethora of Illuminati  cohorts in Hollywood and government).
    @ 25:17 an "artivist" for the cause posing in front of Obama campaign posters.
    @ 25:36 more media resembling the Obama campaign posters.
    @ 25:39 another "KONY 2012" sign paired with an Obama 2012 sign.
    @ 25:45 red/blue Obama theme again.
    @ 26:46 another Obama-themed "Kony 2012" poster.
    @ 26:58 and again, but on a full side of a building this time.

There's also quite a few pro-globalist elements to the video as well.                                             
    This is for america for re-electing obama and excuse for obama  having a 2nd term... Gah is sickening!

Ron Paul for Peace and liberty for in defense in America not obahma...
    Stop meddling on other country. is none of your(our) business!
    Care about your(our) own country!

the visible problem with invisible children

Invisible Children And Kony 2012 Exposed
    whistleiPDURRRCharmingbestfriend96dreamerismwitcherySaseumi
  • AngelAngelAngelAngel Posts: 610Member
    There are sites that tells you whether a charity is shady or not http://www.givewell.org/ is one and http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3628 tells you how different charities spend their money.

Awareness is good but really now, Invisible Children does more harm than good and there are better charities so I don't know why some people will still defend IC. Here's a good alternative if you want to stick to Uganda.
    Misfits_203_1318-1.jpg

My sanctuary: http://joyciel.livejournal.com

IDOL

I||usi0nz wrote on 07 March 2012 - 09:44 PM:

...it's apparent to me that KONY 2012 is also part of an Obama re-election campaign.
    ...the pro-Obama images and symbolism became more obvious.                                          

You caught that too? I definitely remember watching the video and thinking about Obama. Especially the posters...

With the presidential elections coming up in November... :mellow:

I||usi0nz
  • catchlightcatchlight ~Awkward Squale* Florence, ItalyPosts: 1,699Friend of Soompi

Just read this today, I encourage you all to check it out too:

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/03/07/guest_post_joseph_kony_is_not_in_uganda_and_other_complicated_things

Joseph Kony is not in Uganda (and other complicated things)

"So the goal is to make sure that President Obama doesn't withdraw the advisors he deployed until Kony is captured or killed. That seems noble enough, except that there has been no mention by the government of withdrawing those forces -- at least any I can find. Does anyone else have any evidence about this urgent threat of cancellation? One that justifies such a massive production campaign and surely lucrative donation drive?"