SOOMPI IDOL 9 - Online Vocal & Dance Contest

Jaeho

si9newbanner.jpg
Youtube ★ Tumblr ★ Twitter ★ Directory ★ Skype Chat
Hey, Soompiers! Get ready to release your inner idol because Soompi Idol is back in town! . What is Soompi Idol? Soompi Idol is our annual talent competition where we search for the best performers among our community. It is a tradition enjoyed by Soompiers that gives our talented performers a chance to shine. The contest goes way back, making this our 9th! 
What is different in this year's Soompi Idol 9? Soompi Idol has traditionally been a vocal competition, but we are accepting singers, rappers, and dancers this year!
So how does it all work? Different themes are given each round, and it's up to the judges and YOUR votes to determine who gets to advance! Have fun, make new friends, win prizes... and release your inner K-pop idol!
How do I sign up? Submit your Application Form and Preliminary Round Entry to this topic. More information is included below.
Registration opens March 5 and ends March 25, 2012. We will start accepting entries starting March 5, and you will have until March 25, 2012 to sign up. Only 75 Soompiers will move on to the First Round, so make sure you give it your all! . .Make sure to check out Soompi Idol 8 Winners GENEYOONIT and BAMBISHANNY!
Check out the Soompi Idol 9 Directory.
Soompi Idol 9 Official Youtube Channel Make sure to subscribe! Check the playlists to view your entries!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RULES, INFORMATION, & APPLICATION FORM

[send your Applications to 

Jaeho by Private Message]

If you have less than 5 posts, please post your entry in this topic.

REGISTRATION DEADLINE

Registration opens on March 5, 2012 and closes on March 25, 2012 (11:59 PM EST).

Preliminary entries MUST be sent in with your application forms.**

1441p5i.gif

ELIGIBILITY

Soompi Idol 9 is open to everyone regardless of age, gender, nationality, etc.

This is a solo competition. Group entries are not allowed. 

1441p5i.gif

TIME FRAME

Soompi Idol 9 is scheduled to last from March 5, 2012 (Registration) to July, 2012. 

Please note that these dates are approximate and may change due to certain circumstances.

1441p5i.gif

PRIZES

1st Place Winner: $100 Gift Card, Soompi T-Shirt, & Trophy

2nd Place Winner: $50 Gift Card, Soompi T-Shirt, & Trophy

3rd Place Winner: Soompi T-Shirt & Trophy

1441p5i.gif

CONTEST FORMAT

1.    Applications with preliminary entries are sent in by March 25, 2012.

2.    75 Contestants will advance to the First Round.

3.    Each round’s specific rules will be announced 1 to 2 weeks prior to their deadlines.

4.    Advancement to the next round is determined by the judge’s scores, Youtube likes, and Soompi polls.

1441p5i.gif

ENTRY RULES

1.    Please fill out the application form.*

2.    You must submit your preliminary entry with your application form to Jaeho.**

3.    You must have a Soompi account and a Youtube channel in order to enter.

4.    You must subscribe to the Soompi Idol 9 Youtube channel.

1441p5i.gif

*APPLICATION FORM

Please open the Application Form here, copy/paste the information, and fill out the form.

1441p5i.gif

WHERE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION

Please submit all applications to me by Private Message.

In the Subject line, please enter: Soompi Idol 9 Application

If you have less than 5 posts, please post your entry in this topic. [The PM feature might not work] 

1441p5i.gif

**PRELIMINARY ROUND INFORMATION

In order to advance to the First Round, you must submit an entry for the Preliminary Round. 75 contestants will advance to the First Round. They will be decided by the judges and audience votes (Youtube likes & Soompi polls).

Please prepare a Youtube video clip under 1:30 (one minute and thirty seconds) but over 1:00 (one minute) of yourself singing, rapping, or dancing to a K-music song. 

Please read the FAQ for important information regarding categories and languages!

Videos must be titled: [soompi Idol 9] Your Soompi Username - Artist - Title

Singers and Rappers: Please do not sing over an artist’s voice. Please use an instrumental, vocal cut, or sing acapella. 

Dancers: Please make sure your dancing is clearly seen and properly synced to the music.

1441p5i.gif

FAQ

General FAQ

Q. On the application, it says to choose at least one category. Can we apply for two or three? Or change categories?

A. You can do 1, 2, or all 3. You can even change categories for each round! But remember that you will be judged based on the category you choose to do. So if you choose to sing AND dance for the preliminary round, you will be judged on both. 

Q. I'm confused about the categories. Can you give me a breakdown?

A. 1] The contestants are not separated by categories. If you are a singer or rapper, you will still compete against dancers and vice versa. 2] Please submit only one video for each round. 3] "I am entering as..." refers to what you'll be doing for the preliminary round.  What you enter as does not determine what you'll be doing for the rest of the contest. 

Q. If I decide to sing and dance for one round, can I sing in the first part of the video and dance at the end?

No, you must sing and dance to one song (or a medley).

Q. May I use an old performance that I have already recorded?

A. Yes, but only for the preliminary round!

Q. Can we choose two or more songs to dance or sing to? Or do a medley?

A. Yes! But please submit only one video with everything included.

Q. Is it OK if my video is longer than 1:30 (one minute and thirty seconds)?

A. Please shorten your video, or we will only judge the first 1:30 if it exceeds 2 minutes. This will be a disadvantage if the highlight of your performance is after the time limit.

Q. Will Youtube dislikes affect my entry?

A. No. Only the judges' scores, Soompi polls, and Youtube likes will be counted.

Q. How many rounds are there?

A. There will be about 5 rounds in total.

Q. Does my video have to be live?

A. No.

Singers & Rappers FAQ

Q. I am entering as a singer/rapper. Do I need to show myself in the Youtube video?

A. If you do not want to record a video of yourself, your video may include an audio file and an optional photo (album cover, artist photo, etc).

Q. If I am singing/rapping, can I just use Box/Soundcloud/Soundclick/etc?

A. No. Please use Youtube. If you are concerned about sound compression, please include a Box.net mp3 link in your video description.

Q. I can't mix very well. What should I do?

A. You may ask someone to mix for you. Please credit them!

Q. Can we sing acapella? 

A. Yes!

Q. Can we use the original instrumental of the original artist?

A. Yes, you may use any instrumentals.

Q. Must the song be in Korean? Can I sing in another language?

A. The song should be by a K-music artist, but you may translate it into another language. If there is a different language version of a song, you may choose to sing it.

Q.  Are we allowed to change the pitch of a song? Will it affect the judgement?

A. Yes, you can definitely change the key of a song to match your range. It won't affect the judgement UNLESS, for example, the key you choose restricts the potential of your voice.  

Q. Are we allowed to sing a collaboration song between a foreign artist and a K-Pop artist? (Ex. Aoyama Thelma ft. BIGBANG Taeyang - Fall in Love)

A. Yes!

Q. If I pass the preliminary round, can I submit the full version of my entry for a future round?

A. No, you will not be able to sing the same song again.

Q. Can I use Auto-tune?

Yes, you can use Auto-tune if the song uses it as an effect. Pitch correction in general, like Auto-tune and Melodyne, to fix your singing is discouraged. However, we can tell if the singer is already good or not if they decide to use it.  

Dancers FAQ

Q. Can I freestyle instead of doing the song's actual choreography?

A. Yes! 

Q. Can I duplicate myself in the video?

A. Yes!

Q. Can I dance to a non-Korean language (English, Japanese, Chinese, etc) song?

A. Only if it is by a K-music artist. (Ex: BoA's "Eat You Up" is acceptable. BEAST's Omarion and SNSD's Britney Spears dance covers do not count.)

Q. Are we allowed to dance to a medley/mash-up?

A. Yes!

1441p5i.gif

Good luck! Please post all questions and comments in this topic.

Guest changyluver

if we choose..... could we possibly do an english version of a korean song since it said Korean Artist???

or does it have to be their original English Version like SNSD the boys???

just wondering

if we choose..... could we possibly do an english version of a korean song since it said Korean Artist???

or does it have to be their original English Version like SNSD the boys???

just wondering

Yeah, it can be any English version! :) 

Guest LucKy#1

Where do you submit the application? and also is persay i have no time to make, record, edit a video, can i use an old video that i made and just change to the appropriate title?

Guest CherJiWoo

Hello there :sweatingbullets: !!!

I've been a really long time ago reading all your post,

but this is my first time that i post something on the forum!

Im soooo interesting in this contest but i have some doubts about it

like if you put the songs to the contest or i have to choose my own song?

How many songs do i have to record for the contest? The concerts are every week?

Im sorry for so many question but i really want to participate on this amazing contest!

By the way im a huge k-dramas and k-pop fan :wub:  im from mexico and huge fan of

CNBLUE, MISS A, GIRLS GENERATION, FT ISLAND, BIG BANG, BLOCK B and some

other groups and singer, and K-Drama i love Choi Ji Woo, Jung Il woo, Kim Soo Hyun,

Lee Si Young, Lee Dong Wook, Lee Min Ho, Rain, and some others :wub:

Hugs and kisses!

Hey guys, don't worry if you don't think you're good enough... This is for fun and you never know what could happen!

Where do you submit the application? and also is persay i have no time to make, record, edit a video, can i use an old video that i made and just change to the appropriate title?

Applications should be submitted in this thread like it says. lol sweatingbullets.gif

Yes, you may use an old video for the preliminary round.

like if you put the songs to the contest or i have to choose my own song?

How many songs do i have to record for the contest? The concerts are every week?

Im sorry for so many question but i really want to participate on this amazing contest!

You can choose any song you want for the preliminary round.

The rounds aren't every week, but every other week. 

Last time for Soompi Idol 8, we had 7 rounds (7 songs), but we are trying to shorten the number of rounds this time. :)

Guest chryssel16

will try just for fun and experience :) goodluck to everyone! smile.gif

Soompi Idol 9 Application

Soompi Username: chryssel16

I am entering as a Singer/Rapper/Dancer:

Dancer

First Name: Donna

Youtube Channel: chryssel16

Other Websites (Optional):  multiply

Preliminary Round Entry Information

Artist and Title: B.A.P - Warrior

Youtube Link to Entry: My link

Guest kdramafan89

Just wondering if I could do a C.N. Blue song. I consider them rock but people always label them Kpop...

Guest Viniy1994

Soompi Idol 9 Application

Soompi Username: Viniy1994

I am entering as a Singer/Rapper/Dancer:

Dancer

First Name: Viniy

Youtube Channel: Viniy1994

Preliminary Round Entry Information

Artist and Title: Girls' Generation - Tell Me Your Wish (Genie)

Youtube Link to Entry: http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Guest CherJiWoo

Thanks so much for your answer!

I have another one :sweatingbullets: The songs

have to be in korean or can be in other

languages?

Archived