Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Dates Yes or No??

kangta26kangta26 Posts: 276Member

ROOKIE

edited February 2012 in the real world (20+ ONLY)
Well today my coworkers picked lots to take turns setting me up for blind dates.. I'm kinda like yes uh noo.. it's funny how people like matchmaking.. everyone has a friend or neighbor they know for me.. ~sigh.. blind dates seem too much like "all" or "nothing" situations.. i've never fallen for a person like that.. so i'm kinda like ooh crap.. plus a situation like that makes it more nerve racking...

had a blind date this weekend... she was so "ehh i don't care, anywhere's fine" on the phone.. same thing in person.., she hadn't had a boyfriend in a while and i think i know why.. newayz, there was one awkward moment when we started to eat our burgers.. i grabbed my fork and knife thinking, it'll be messy if i pick it up?, i'll just eat it like a steak.. so i started cutting up pieces to eat.. and i look up and she grabs her burger and starts munching.. :D i felt so gay.. haha..  xD.. I kinda knew i wasn't interested when the phone thing, and when i first met her i wasn't attracted, but it's hard to just eat and say good bye.. so we ended up getting coffee, bowling, and walking/talking around the mall, but no sparks.. -_-.. oh well... 

blind dates or just wait??

~:)

Replies

• rachilderachilde United StatesPosts: 2,332Member
    edited February 2012
    I've never been set up on a blind date so I wouldn't know... But, my general policy is to not go on a date unless I know that person fairly well so I very rarely go on dates at all. I know people who do the whole dating thing with people they've met for two seconds in line at the coffee shop and they wind up signing themselves up for a whole night at a restaurant for 1-2+ hours with no escape route. I always think, "What if they turn out to be suffocatingly boring?" It just seems like such a waste of time and money. I much prefer meeting people multiple times in the context of dinner parties or small gatherings. Thus, if they're really boring, I at least have other people I can talk to. If I get to know them at a social event and have time to talk about our mutual (or lack thereof) interests, then I might consider going on a dinner date. But, truthfully, I prefer to go on 'dates' that require no money when I first get to know someone. So I much prefer to arrange a meeting at a bookstore or take a walk in the park with someone I've met a few times at a party than to sit down and have the guy buy me dinner. That sort of formal event just seems so artificial to me...

Not to mention, I'm a stickler for table manners so I prefer not to have someone's bad table manners be their first impression on me. It's just easier to overlook those sorts of things if you actually know him as a person. It's kind of like, "Oh he doesn't chew with his mouth closed, but he has interesting things to say about French avant garde authors so who cares?" as opposed to, "So right now I know his name and where he's from and what he does for a living...and that he doesn't chew with his mouth closed."

If I had to go on a blind date, I'd insist on a coffee date. At least it only takes 15 minutes to drink a cup of coffee...
  • Poop-Shoop-A-LoopPoop-Shoop-A-Loop ^ xoxo esoteric. <3 Posts: 5,510Friend of Soompi
    I like things to happen naturally (friends first, then relationship).
    I've never fallen for or been instantly attracted to someone at first glance so I never understood the concept of how people who were able to go on a date with someone they just met for the first time. I know that the date is to get to know each other, see if there's common interests, etc but I'm just the type of person that if feelings bloom from a friendship then I'd give it a try, but other than that you don't catch my interest, lol.

Howeverrr, I think it'd be an interesting/fun/new experience to go on a blind date, just to see how that's like lol. But I'd more likely treat it as making a new friend.
    I, Poop-Shoop-A-Loop, are King of the [stupid people] world [which does not exist].
    [ theSHOP ]
    .tumblr // redballoon
    Y G F A M I L Y : O N E LV E
  • princessberryprincessberry Posts: 218Member, New Member
    personally, blind date is fine to me i think :P Just hang out with somebody, and get to know more about that person. 

you can proceed if you feel comfortable, if not, then just let it ends right there.

sounds irresponsible eh? But it's okay to make new friends right :P
    I find and share inspiration with everyone! Where?  Here :D
  • TuffcoreTuffcore Karmic RedemptionPosts: 5,204Member

IDOL

I've done blind dates before and have had some memorable dates (in a disastrous way). Despite the fact that nothing ever came out of those dates, it nice to just meet a new friend and go for the learning experience. I would never turn down a blind date given the opportunity. I would also never put any high expectations on them either. Just go for fun.
    Pain is temporary
    Glory is forever
  • happybubblehappybubble Posts: 553Member

IDOL

I've never done it and wouldn't mind being set up with someone (as long as I'm single) It's another way to make new friends 
    find the one who makes your heart smile :)

Christmas Shopping Discount Code: XMAS (valid until 25th Dec)
  • RayeRaye HawaiiPosts: 264Member

IDOL

At this point in my life, I'd be more amused than anything if someone were to set me up on a blind date. My sister wanted to pair me up with a co-worker's niece, but that fell through since no one really did anything to make it happen. It wasn't something to regret, because a few months later, my sister told me she saw what this girl looked like and told me she probably wouldn't be my type. But if everything went through, I think I'd give it a shot. When I read your post, I actually thought you were pretty lucky that people want to set you up. My friend only wanted to set me up with this one girl because she wanted me to wreck her relationship with her boyfriend whom she dislikes. <_< Also, you can look at it this way -- the more you date, although it may not be serious, you'll become more aware of what you want out of a potential significant other.
    f0reveralways
  • itrayyaitrayya latchkey princess. California.Posts: 7,221Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited February 2012
    if you don't mind the time, i think blind dates are interesting.
    you get to learn about yourself and what you want in your partner.

and i want to give that girl props for eating her burger the regular way.
    many girls are scared to be normal in front of guys.

i would probably go on a few blind dates but not all the time.
    it keeps you polishing your skills and building your confidence in finding the right person.
  • bellelagonbellelagon Posts: 28Member
    Raye wrote on 28 February 2012 - 01:31 AM:

At this point in my life, I'd be more amused than anything if someone were to set me up on a blind date. My sister wanted to pair me up with a co-worker's niece, but that fell through since no one really did anything to make it happen. It wasn't something to regret, because a few months later, my sister told me she saw what this girl looked like and told me she probably wouldn't be my type. But if everything went through, I think I'd give it a shot. When I read your post, I actually thought you were pretty lucky that people want to set you up. My friend only wanted to set me up with this one girl because she wanted me to wreck her relationship with her boyfriend whom she dislikes.  <_< Also, you can look at it this way -- the more you date, although it may not be serious, you'll become more aware of what you want out of a potential significant other.

Great way to look at it!

I never went on a blind date, but I did go on a date with a guy I saw at a store, because he was really cute. We got some coffee and walked around town. Nothing came of it but it was a fun experience. 
    I prefer to be friends with someone first these days. I've been on dates with a few guys I didn't know too well and they all ended out poorly. The way I see it  if you can't be friends with someone first then how are you going to be in a relationship with them? So for me it's now friends only. If you're going out with someone new as a friend it takes the pressure off and you can bring other people too.  

• UVERfanUVERfan Posts: 30Member
    I have never tried blind dates before, but I don’t even think it’s a usual thing here in where I live (Finland). I wouldn’t mind going to a blind date, especially when I’m usually so bad at meeting people, so I think this could be something that would be an appropriate thing for me.
  • HERMITHERMIT Posts: 10,573Friend of Soompi

EXALTED ONE

Sure, I'd go on blind dates.  The blinder the better.
    If they also didn't have the sense of smell, that would just be the tops.
    I could do away with wearing deodorant.  Well, actually having to put it on for once, I mean.

hikari619Nutik
  • rachilderachilde United StatesPosts: 2,332Member
    HERMIT wrote on 28 February 2012 - 11:04 AM:

Sure, I'd go on blind dates.  The blinder the better.
    If they also didn't have the sense of smell, that would just be the tops.
    I could do away with wearing deodorant.  Well, actually having to put it on for once, I mean.

Haha reminds me of that episode of Family Guy where Brian dates a blind girl. "Oh I can't believe you've taken me to Paris," (Brian puts her on the stair master and pretends they're going up the Eiffel Tower, puts a croissant on a plate near a fan), "I can practically smell the croissants from here!"
  • kangta26kangta26 Posts: 276Member

ROOKIE

I'd have to agree.. i kinda feel like dating is very hard.. you meet someone that you could have no chemistry, and it feels like first meeting is "go" or "no".. and if it's no.. you're committed to finishing the date just to be "nice".. i felt stuck for three hours on my date, but it's hard to say "okay bye bye?".. having a cup of coffee sounds nice and non-commital? that' might be a good idea for a meet-up.. hmm..  i still don't think i'd mind a date here or there.. the idea is kind of "fun".. but yeah, i shouldn't expect too much.. i think i'll let them fix me up occasionally.. eheh..

i love these forums very therapeutic.. ^_^.. 

• dukenukemdukenukem Posts: 57Member
    if you are ok with going i think it would be fine.I've had my cousin almost trick me into a blind date,a co worker that tried to get mne to meet one of his freinds,mom that tried getting me with one of her co workers which i obviously said hell no with every one of them.Blind dates scare the hell out of me just like regular dating.
  • candymooncandymoon Posts: 234Friend of Soompi
    edited March 2012
    haha. you seem like a funny guy. So, you guys talked on the phone before you guy met?
    Perhaps that is good idea than just meeting the person face-to-face the very first time.
    I was asked to go on a favor to a blind date, which I decline several time already but finally agreed to.
    WOW. It was such an awkwardness moment.
    As you say, you can really tell and feel there is no "spark" within first few second of meeting someone..
    You should not feel weird about ending the blind date if you do not feel attracted to her.. you def. dont want to lead them on to think that you do by continuing after meal. I heard a story from a friend, where the guy just took her to a bakery and got a small cup of tea and sat down for less than 15 min. chatting, and in-between he was taking two 3-5 minutes call and then he just say goodbye. BUT, before he left, he asked to exchange number. Of course, he never call!! I guess he just feel bad and thought that the way to end it.. I think that just worst, he could of just say "good-bye" then they both can move on with life. Later, the mutual friend that set her up was told by the guy that "she wasnt pretty enough!" (fyi: she is pretty and with great personality, it is his loss!!!) He was looking for a model/celebrity beauty!

Tuffcore wrote on 28 February 2012 - 01:09 AM:

I've done blind dates before and have had some memorable dates (in a disastrous way). Despite the fact that nothing ever came out of those dates, it nice to just meet a new friend and go for the learning experience. I would never turn down a blind date given the opportunity. I would also never put any high expectations on them either. Just go for fun.

I guess you are right. My mom tells me that too.. "never turn down a blind date given the opportunity" She likes "you should go and meet all, heck you can choose and pick if you like." She just wont let me be single for a while.... I've gone on one and it was a disaster. So, I refused to continue more because I just assume, nothing good ever come out from those dates. I just tell myself, those "good ones" are already taken and probably wont go on blind dates even if they did, prolly force by parents/friends etc and not willing to be there at the first place...
    Nothing lasts forever.
    If you were asking me if i had met any of them before hand nope.My cousin did that on the 3rd day after i had just moved to arizona,needless to say i kept myself in her car and didn't get out.Seems every person that tries setting me up they try to force it on me which really pisses me off.Unfortunately for me extended conversations are not my virtue.I like to keep stuff very short and simple.Not sure if i woulsv'e gone on one even if i met them first since i am not a very open person.

ROOKIE

candymoon wrote on 01 March 2012 - 10:31 PM:

haha. you seem like a funny guy.   So, you guys talked on the phone before you guy met?
    Perhaps that is good idea than just meeting the person face-to-face the very first time.
    I was asked to go on a favor to a blind date, which I decline several time already but finally agreed to.
    WOW. It was such an awkwardness moment.
    As you say, you can really tell and feel there is no "spark" within first few second of meeting someone..
    You should not feel weird about ending the blind date if you do not feel attracted to her..  you def. dont want to lead them on to think that you do by continuing after meal. I heard a story from a friend, where the guy just took her to a bakery and got a small cup of tea and sat down for less than 15 min. chatting, and in-between he was taking two 3-5 minutes call and then he just say goodbye. BUT, before he left, he asked to exchange number.  Of course, he never call!! I guess he just feel bad and thought that the way to end it..  I think that just worst, he could of just say "good-bye" then they both can move on with life. Later, the mutual friend that set her up was told by the guy that "she wasnt pretty enough!"  (fyi: she is pretty and with great personality, it is his loss!!!)  He was looking for a model/celebrity beauty!

I guess you are right. My mom tells me that too.. "never turn down a blind date given the opportunity" She likes "you should go and meet all, heck you can choose and pick if you like."  She just wont let me be single for a while....   I've gone on one and it was a disaster.  So, I refused to continue more because I just assume, nothing good ever come out from those dates.   I just tell myself, those "good ones" are already taken and probably wont go on blind dates even if they did, prolly force by parents/friends etc and not willing to be there at the first place...

yeah we talked on the phone for about 30 mins.. i was at my friend's house so i stepped out to my car to take the call.. but i tried to keep it brief..  i had no expectations or even any photo to go on of how she looked like, but i was thinking "as long as she has a cute smile".. oh boy it was awkward when there is no attraction/spark, but it's my coworker's wife's coworker.. so i guess thought best not to be rude.. :D.. is it true.. all the good ones are taken?? that would suck for all the single people.. hope it's not true.. gees.. life is so hard.. :)

dukenukem wrote on 01 March 2012 - 11:40 PM:

If you were asking me if i had met any of them before hand nope.My cousin did that on the 3rd day after i had just moved to arizona,needless to say i kept myself in her car and didn't get out.Seems every person that tries setting me up they try to force it on me which really pisses me off.Unfortunately for me extended conversations are not my virtue.I like to keep stuff very short and simple.Not sure if i woulsv'e gone on one even if i met them first since i am not a very open person.

emmh maybe a blind date would be good so you could open up ^_^?.. 
    I doubt that would open me up,dating is just too much effort.

ROOKIE

dukenukem wrote on 02 March 2012 - 12:53 AM:

I doubt that would open me up,dating is just too much effort.

it is alot of effort ~sigh

(...it's interesting how many persons in this forum would consider themselves quiet/reserved/not open, yet to be able to post here in this forum, to such topics/things to almost complete strangers is quite the opposite.. ?? :) )
    Those who have asked me why i haven't dated i tell them up front that it's too much work and that i;m not  very talkative person.I think it's usually easier if the situation is just known as being a freind situation and not to have any real meanings.So far any really good women i have met are already married and have kids.Supposedly some of my coworkers said they wanna sometime try and hook me up with some mexican women but i just looked at them like not really.
  • SoulAce2SoulAce2 Posts: 304Member

IDOL

[EDIT] Blah blah blah. Delete. Sorry.