Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

laxatives

nobody knowsnobody knows what I thinkoutof thisworldPosts: 13,073Member

IDOL

edited February 2012 in fitness & sports
should I?
i know it's probably not recommended that i take laxatives if I can just consume high-fiber foods, but I normally do, and have been (for the past few days), but no poop is coming out

it's really frustrating, especially when I sleep later than I need to because I spend an hour on the toilet hoping for feces to come out but all that happens are numb legs and wasted time

should I just try taking laxatives, or keep eating and waiting? honestly my stomach occasionally hurts and it looks more bloated than it should be (I highly doubt it's too much salt because we use very little salt in our cooking, never eat out, and when I cook, I use no salt at all (mostly because i forget, but I also don't like salty things) and I drink pleeeeeeenty of water)

I'm thinking of using laxatives once to just clean my system out, and hopefully never have to touch it again

has anyone else taken laxatives before? what brand is recommended?
and should I take it like the night before I have nothing to do so it has time to go through my system and I just spend all day on the toilet, or is it immediate affects?

the most experience I've had with laxatives was seeing my dad consume this huge bottle of it (powder mixed into gatorade) for a health check up thingy
hopefully i don't need that much, because this isn't for check up reasons :crazy:

thank you ~

Replies

• mintcrackermintcracker Posts: 7,279Member

IDOL

Eat alot of kiwifruit. It helps with bowel movements lol.
  • ~ BunnyliciouS ~~ BunnyliciouS ~ Mum OregonPosts: 26,309Friend of Soompi

SUPERSTAR

edited February 2012
    I'm currently having a bit of stool problem >_<

My doctor said drink Metamucil or eat prunes

• achuachu A. Posts: 733Member

IDOL

if you dont want to take the chemical remedy (laxatives), you can opt for the mechanical remedy (shoving an oil coated wedge up your anus)

the mechanical remedy is fast-acting, simple. and is much safer. you'll have to find someone to help you, unless you have the willpower to shove something up your anus.

laxatives you dont wanna take it before you sleep, because you might literally poop in bed.. as with all solutions, anything involving chemicals should be avoided if possible, but laxatives shouldnt have much side-effects. all it does is irritate your bowels.
    laxatives can be oral or intravenous.

if you wanna go natural, try drinking cranberry juice or prune juice.
    eating more fibrous foods wont help much at this point because the feces that are blocking the bowels would have dehydrated so much already

your dad would have taken large amounts of laxatives to purge the GI tract of non-self material (e.g. food and feces), i assume for a colonoscopy, or MRI, checking for tumours, etc.
  • BrannethBranneth Posts: 30Member

ROOKIE

If you haven't gone for a few days then I'd suggest using laxatives. The way the body is structured means that if you get backed up with poop, the canal is constantly stretched and can't contract to push the poop down; so the more you don't go the harder it will be to fix as you lose sensitivity. There are different types of laxatives - ones that just stimulate intestinal and bowel movement and others that draw all the water in your body into the bowels to help move. If it's only been a few days then opt for the first, I'm not sure what brands they have where you live but anything that's like Actilax or Coloxyl should help. If it gets to a week or so then I'd invest in the stronger type that draw the water from your body which are fast acting tablets, here a brand is Colocap Balance tablets but again not sure what you have available sorry >< after you've been 'washed out' try eating fruit & continuing your intake of water & exercising regularly!
  • nobody knowsnobody knows what I think outof thisworldPosts: 13,073Member

IDOL

mintcracker wrote on 23 February 2012 - 02:39 AM:

Eat alot of kiwifruit. It helps with bowel movements lol.

I'm allergic to kiwis ;__;
    lol
    I think that's the main issue I have with fiber, is that I'm allergic to a crapload of fruits >:

achu wrote on 23 February 2012 - 03:50 AM:

if you dont want to take the chemical remedy (laxatives), you can opt for the mechanical remedy (shoving an oil coated wedge up your anus)

I think I'll go with the chemical method ... lmao
    I don't care if it's safer, I don't wanna stick something up there and I don't want someone else to do it either ;___;

it's good to know that it's normal to have a harder time to poop if you haven't gone for a few days
    my mom told me "if it's filling up, they should push out more easily" so I was like do i have issues then ...

I'll go to the supermarket/drug store to check out the suggested brands
    thanks for replying everyone :blush:
    Grey.Drops
  • sweetfantasy09sweetfantasy09 Still searching for myself... &#24950;&#22826;&#12398;&#19990;&#30028;Posts: 1,564Member

IDOL

enema? haha! you can do it on your own. you don't need someone else to do it for you.. i have done it for my patients though. very simple.

anyway, you may to eat prune first as it has natural laxative effects. whenever i find myself munching on prunes, i will go to toilet. haha!
    Please read the signature rules
  • itrayyaitrayya latchkey princess. California.Posts: 7,221Friend of Soompi

IDOL

sea salt with luke warm water??!!
    coffee and warm milk (not together) also makes me go use the bathroom.

i used Phillips Milk of Magnesium. it was helpful to me. try it out.
  • loop.statementloop.statement Posts: 62Member

TRAINEE

edited February 2012
    your dad was probably going for colonoscopy, his laxative was described by the doctor which you can't have access to.. and usually  has high salt content.

if you have a juice at home, juice up some vegetables and fruits. if my brothers suffer from constipation (poor diet), i usually juice up with 1 cucumber, 5 celery, 1 bittermelon, 1 green pepper, and 1 green apple. within less than 1 hr, they go BOOM!

alternatively, you can always buy metamucil constipation -I don't think its bad in your case as you are only trying to relieve your problem for this occasion. if you were to go to your family doctor, he/she will probably tell you to get that. there is a lot of misconception about laxatives so please research on that, mainly it depends on the type. the low quality laxatives which are "bad" are ones located everywhere (metamucil, etc). so using metamucil everyday is not good, rather using metamucil once in a blue moon is fine.

lastly, enema. you can go to drug store (baby section?) and get it to poke your hole to go number 2.
  • OnimalOnimal Posts: 51Member, New Member
    I was once on a ketogenic diet, which has a constipating effect due to the lack of fibre, that was until I tried a MCT ketogenic diet. Lol it totally emptied out my guts, the toilet seat became my place of residence for a whole day, I guess it's due to the water pulling effects of glycerol component in triglyceride. If there's glycerol in the colons the water can't easily be pull out. Unlike long chain fatty acids, medium chain fatty acids don't re-esterfy with the glycerol as easily making it harder to store as body fat, and they're absorbed differently than LCT. For a normal person 1-4 tbsp is enough to cause intestinal problems, my MCT diet was a devastating 60% coconut oil, I don't even think I absorbed 1/4 of what I ate. This is such a nasty topic :blush:

The soluble fibre in prunes will probably let your microbial gut flora turn you into to a flatulence factory, I'm not sure if that would even work if your already on a high fibre diet. If you don't want to try drugs, MCT is worth a try, just go easy with it.
  • pixie.dustpixie.dust Posts: 359Member

ROOKIE

edited February 2012
    Like stated above, definitely Metamucil.

My mom had trouble going to the bathroom so my grandma recommended Metamucil and she has been going every single morning.
    This is totally irrelevant to your question, but my mom's skin has also cleared up because of Metamucil.
    She had a bit of acne/skin problems but ever since she tried it out, her skin has cleared up and barely applies any makeup before she goes outside. (:

There's also this drink that makes me go no matter what.
    I went through the same situtation as you when I was in Korea during my summer break.
    I would spend a lot of time in the hotel bathroom squatting on the toilet....waiting.
    But my mom would always buy 두유 (don't know the proper word in English) for me.
    I drank every morning = always successful lol.
    두유 is a milky substance that consists of a mixture of grinded beans.
    I still drink them and I usually buy them in Asian markets here in the states.

I really don't recommend laxatives but if all else fails, try it.
    Good luck!
    piggy-1.jpg
    A m e r i c a n o ;; 좋아 좋아 좋아 ♥
    Shop || Status
  • LoliTzAlLoliTzAl somewherePosts: 91Member

ROOKIE

Try mixing 2 teaspoon ofsea salt, or Non iodised salt in a 8oz water. and drink it. You must not eat anything for 4hours before drinking the mixture and drink a lot of water. You will poop like a waterfall. I drank like 2-3 cups of water before and after drinking the sea salt mixture.
    5044299.png
    Feed me

IDOL

so many responses! ;__; thanks for the concern about my pooping guys hehehe :wub:

jk

the sea salt method? how long is that supposed to take?
    cos I actually have a ton of non iodised sea salt (for my piercings)

I asked my mom to use laxatives, and it turns out we still have some leftover, so I guess I'm just gonna take these
    they need 6-12 hours to start working (???) but I don't wanna be like wake up at 12, eat the laxatives, and at 12am when everyone's sleeping I'm there pooping away

if the sea salt method only takes like 3~6 hours to start working, or even immediately, I'd rather to that tomorrow, and if it's unsuccessful, I'll try the laxatives on Sunday

SORRY SO MANY QUESTIONS hahaha
    I'm so new to this
    can/should I eat anything beforehand? or during the time it needs to activate? I can't imagine not eating for 12 hours unless i'm sleeping D:
  • MayKayyMayKayy Posts: 88Member

ROOKIE

Omg I'm having a pooping problem too LOL! These suggestions are like lifesavers. God it feels so uncomfortable not pooping, all I'm releasing is nasty gases -_-.

I actually think Icebreakers (the mint, not gum) would also work, I ate a box once and man I was going like crazy :o. Too bad it's too late for me to go buy it right now, maybe I'll try the salt method.
  • Grey.DropsGrey.Drops United StatesPosts: 1,454Member, Friend of Soompi

IDOL

Too much calcium can also cause constipation.

I second the prunes.
  • bombb_bombb_ BOMbb_ california, usaPosts: 1,283Member
    pixie.dust wrote on 23 February 2012 - 10:53 AM:

i think pixie.dust means soy milk?
    it works for one of my brothers (but it also might have aided his moobies..lol).

i find tea works. and coffee.
    or just hot food/drinks in general.

also, you know how in some cars they have heated seats--yeah, gets me all the time. lol. i can't sit on one of those seats with the heat on without having to go number two ten minutes later.
    walking/running/exercise always gets my number two going as well.
    f101fs.jpg2uhbtow.gif
  • duh123duh123 Posts: 1,378Member

IDOL

nobody knows wrote on 23 February 2012 - 08:10 PM:

so many responses! ;__; thanks for the concern about my pooping guys hehehe :wub:

jk

the sea salt method? how long is that supposed to take?
    cos I actually have a ton of non iodised sea salt (for my piercings)

I asked my mom to use laxatives, and it turns out we still have some leftover, so I guess I'm just gonna take these
    they need 6-12 hours to start working (???) but I don't wanna be like wake up at 12, eat the laxatives, and at 12am when everyone's sleeping I'm there pooping away

if the sea salt method only takes like 3~6 hours to start working, or even immediately, I'd rather to that tomorrow, and if it's unsuccessful, I'll try the laxatives on Sunday

SORRY SO MANY QUESTIONS hahaha
    I'm so new to this
    can/should I eat anything beforehand? or during the time it needs to activate? I can't imagine not eating for 12 hours unless i'm sleeping D:

the salt water flush or sea salt method should work within in a hour. since you haven't gone in a while, it would most definitely be between an hour to 3. for people who are pretty regular, it might not come as fast. the salt water flush is common in the master cleanse. i did research on the master cleanse but i have never tried it. but from all the personal stories i have read, the salt water flush is best in the morning before you eat anything. but you can pretty much do it whenever you haven't eaten anything. i hear that it's pretty intense though but it's the most natural way to flush everything out. i also read that you will feel the movements but it's best to wait a bit before actually going. some people said this is because you won't be able to clear everything out in one go and there's a lot of gas involved.

once you get past this, i suggest eating a lot of fiber through vegetables and possibly whatever fruits you aren't allergic to. i don't get most of my fiber from fruits. i get almost all my fiber from vegetables. i used to have trouble going when i was younger and it would always cause problems. my body was just weird then. but in high school, i somehow just forced myself to go a little each day. but over the years, i find that vegetables are the best lol. i like a lot of the asian vegetables or choys. i also get a big portion of that during dinner. i also love corn. it flushes things out nicely as well. yogurt helps also but it takes more time than vegetables. the probiotics help over time rather than right away like fiber. i also love kimchi. i know that spicy food isn't that great for people who have trouble going but the fiber and the bacteria from fermentation is great.

you might also want to get a stool for your feet when you go. i hear that it helps position your body to a way that makes it physically easier to go. something about evolution and how way back when, our ancestors would squat down and go in the woods or something like that. i haven't personally tried it since it's just a hassle to get a stool every time i go.

best of luck and i hope you find an easier way to incorporate fiber into your diet so you don't have this problem again.

IDOL

freaking

the salt water thing is SO SALTY
    blehhhhhhhh ahahahha
    normally i can down a bottle of water within like 3 sips
    but this is omg

ROOKIE

edited February 2012
    nobody knows wrote on 24 February 2012 - 08:42 AM:

freaking

the salt water thing is SO SALTY
    blehhhhhhhh ahahahha
    normally i can down a bottle of water within like 3 sips
    but this is omg

Did you manage to poop?

The salt water taste just like the water in the Beach, very salty. Drink something very sour to make the drinking a little bit more pleasant. (Lemon)
    And remember to drink a lot of water before and after drinking the salted water, or else it wont work
    5044299.png
    Feed me

IDOL

yes, I did! thank you ~ :')

I was afraid of burning my tongue (cos I boiled water for this), so the water probably wasn't hot enough to dissolve all the salt. there was a crapload of salt at the bottom of my cup, which means it should've been a lot saltier

I only drank a little bit of water before the salt solution because I don't like the taste of water before eating, but I still

lol no one wants to hear the details
    let's just say I couldn't tell if it was pee or poop, it just slid right out LOL

I tried this method mainly cos it was only a ~1 hour wait time, but the water was so salty, I doubt I'd ever wanna try it again in the future even if necessary ;__;

my stomach feels so relieved and unbloated now thanks everyone for helping, even though I ended up not using laxatives hahaha
    Onimalzarafay

ROOKIE

If you dont want to drink the salt, You can try changing your diet.
    Some small changes can really help you out. Like eating some papayas before sleeping. In the morning you will be going to the bathroom.
    Try drinking Oatmeal as breakfast. It is said to help cleaning the body + its healthy.
    5044299.png
    Feed me