Chinese Help

Guest putasmileon

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sleepless.

Thank you so much for this! ^^ It was driving me crazy. Could you possibly help me with one more thing?

该放手的终归要放开,这世上没有谁是谁的最爱,只有谁是谁的最适合。。

Now I think this says something like: Let go on the end. Nobody in this world has a favorite (or soul-mate?), only who is most suitable. Haha I'm probably completely wrong, or translated it in a strange way, but I at least wanted to try myself before I asked for help again.

Thank you so much for this! ^^ It was driving me crazy. Could you possibly help me with one more thing?

该放手的终归要放开,这世上没有谁是谁的最爱,只有谁是谁的最适合。。

Now I think this says something like: Let go on the end. Nobody in this world has a favorite (or soul-mate?), only who is most suitable. Haha I'm probably completely wrong, or translated it in a strange way, but I at least wanted to try myself before I asked for help again.

A good try, and you sort of got the gist of the sentence.

"What must be let go must eventually be let go. There's no love of one's life in this world, only who is most suitable."

Guest Kathy K.

Thank you very much for your help! :D

Can you tell me one other thing...? I've messed up my notes on reduplication and I'm now confused about using it with disyllabic verbs and disyllabic adjectives. I'd be thankful for some short, universal and easy to remember rule...

Guest linhybear

I'm going to highschool next year; even though I get mistaken for older. I'm debating whether to take the IB program and along with that you can choose to learn another language; so right now I'm learning French and the school I'm looking at also offers Mandarin. Is it easy to learn? I remember going to Chinese school and I didn't learn anything. I want to learn it but I don't think I would understand it. There are other options to fill the spot so I don't have to learn Mandarin also, but I feel like it'd be better for me in the future and communication wise with family.

Thank you very much for your help! :D

Can you tell me one other thing...? I've messed up my notes on reduplication and I'm now confused about using it with disyllabic verbs and disyllabic adjectives. I'd be thankful for some short, universal and easy to remember rule...

Found this:

Reduplication of verbs

Reduplication is an important morphological process in Chinese. Part of verbs can be reduplicated to signify either the shortness of time, the repetition of the action, or an informal casual action, or simply to emphasize the verb. Generally speaking, monosyllabic verbs are reduplicated more freely and frequently than disyllabic verbs. Two-syllable verbs usually are reduplicated in ABAB form. Two-syllable adjectives are generally reduplicated in AABB form. A verb can be reduplicated in AABB form to be used as an adjective, while an adjective which is usually reduplicated in AABB form can be reduplicated in ABAB form to be used as a verb.

Despite that, a lot of Chinese words and phrases are associative and dependent on context. A lot of times people are very flexible with how they use certain words and phrases. I think it's much easier for you to read and listen more, than to depend solely on rules.

I googled "disyllabic verbs" and found a couple of books:

The establishment of modern Chinese grammar

Chinese: a comprehensive grammar

I'm going to highschool next year; even though I get mistaken for older. I'm debating whether to take the IB program and along with that you can choose to learn another language; so right now I'm learning French and the school I'm looking at also offers Mandarin. Is it easy to learn? I remember going to Chinese school and I didn't learn anything. I want to learn it but I don't think I would understand it. There are other options to fill the spot so I don't have to learn Mandarin also, but I feel like it'd be better for me in the future and communication wise with family.

Mastering a language takes time, passion, commitment and effort. Asking whether Chinese is easy to learn is the wrong way to approach it. Ask yourself WHY you want to learn it and whether you can commit to mastering it to a level of relative fluency. Otherwise it's just going to be a lot of pain for you to study something you don't like.

• 4 weeks later...

i always use this tool to search words by radicals.

http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/sinograms.html?r=

main page.

http://www.chinese-tools.com/

Guest lovevirus.

Hi there! If you have time, please help me with my Chinese question. I'm taking a Chinese class online, there's about 50 questions, I got everything else except these that I'm struggling with. I'm really bad at reading Chinese >< Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

**Sorry, for some reason I couldn't upload the image directly here. It said "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board." =/

Q1, Q2, Q3

http://img109.images...52/chinese1.png

Q4, Q5, Q6

http://img220.images...3/chinese2p.png

Q7, Q8

http://img252.images...20/chinese3.png

What are these mean in English?

06_08_48.gif

06_08_44.gif

Just so you know, I'm very liberal with translations.

1. B (觉得)

我[觉得]端午节最好玩

"I think the Dragon Boat Festival is a lot of fun!"

2. D (然后)

我们先打扫卫生[然后]一起出去赏灯

"Let's clean up first and then light the lanterns together."

3. A (霜)

床前明月光,疑是地上[霜]

This one is actually a famous old poem by 李白, it's difficult translating his exact emotions so I'll leave this one up to you.

我喜欢庆祝中国人的传统节日.

I like celebrating traditional Chinese holidays.

你们最大的节日是春节.

Their biggest one is Chinese New Years.

春节前一天的晩上是除夕, 要吃年夜饭和守岁

The day before Chinese New Years is New Years Eve where we eat with our family and stay up for the new year.*

春节最好玩的是鞭炮和烟火.

The most exciting thing about Chinese New Years are the firecrackers and fireworks.

从春节到元宵节还可以看龙灯和狮子舞

You can watch the dragon lantern and the lion dance from Chinese New Years until the Lantern Festival.

*年夜饭 = custom for Chinese families to have a reunion during CNY

*守岁 = staying up to celebrate the new coming year

::EDIT::

>Aziraphale

Yea, you're right regarding those. I just don't like sounding as stiff as the sentences are in Chinese textbooks, so I will admit that my translations might be a bit off at times.

7. [圣诞][节][是][什么][时候]

D> 35214

"When is Christmas?"

8. [妈妈][和][我][一起][庆祝][中秋节]

B> 165423

"Mom and I celebrate the Moon Festival together."

Just so you know, I'm very liberal with translations.

If I may, I'd like to make some corrections as there are inaccuracies in the translations. My corrections in blue.

1. B (觉得)

我[觉得]端午节最好玩

"I think the Dragon Boat Festival is a lot of fun!"

- "I think the Dragon Boat Festival is the most fun." (the use of 最 indicates a maximum degree of something)

2. D (然后)

我们先打扫卫生[然后]一起出去赏灯

"Let's clean up first and then light the lanterns together."

- "Let's clean up first before going to admire the lanterns." (赏灯 does not mean "light the lanterns", rather it is more of admiring the beautiful and brightly lit lanterns)

你们最大的节日是春节.

Their biggest one is Chinese New Years.

Your most important/biggest festival is Chinese New Year (no plural for "Year", and 你们 in this sentence is "your", plural).

The other sentences translated are:

元宵节是中国人的情人节,大家都到街上赏灯。

The Lantern Festival is the Chinese Valentine's Day, and everyone goes out to the streets to admire the lanterns.

我最喜欢的是中秋节,有很多月饼。

My favourite is the Mid-Autumn Festival, as there are a lot of mooncakes.

I think you should be okay answering the questions once you get the gist of the paragraph.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sleepless.

有谁能够了解做舞女的悲哀。

原来都是打晕会惹的祸啊。。

Can someone translate these for me? Thank you.

有谁能够了解做舞女的悲哀。

原来都是打晕会惹的祸啊。。

Can someone translate these for me? Thank you.

有谁能够了解做舞女的悲哀。 - Who can understand the sorrow of being a dance hostess?

原来都是打晕会惹的祸啊。。 - Ah, so this is the trouble that comes after being knocked out...

Guest Sleepless.

有谁能够了解做舞女的悲哀。 - Who can understand the sorrow of being a dance hostess?

Do the characters that mean dance hostess have a special meaning here? For example do they simply mean a 'dance hostess', or do the characters have a richer (or seedy undertone) meaning a stripper or a woman that preforms sexual favors? I'm just wondering if this sentence implies something about the dance hostess, seeing as the person who wrote this thinks their job/life is sorrowful. 

Do the characters that mean dance hostess have a special meaning here? For example do they simply mean a 'dance hostess', or do the characters have a richer (or seedy undertone) meaning a stripper or a woman that preforms sexual favors? I'm just wondering if this sentence implies something about the dance hostess, seeing as the person who wrote this thinks their job/life is sorrowful. 

The characters mean dance hostess, so the job involves dancing with male customers and probably also serving them drinks and entertaining them a little at nightclubs and such. Whether stripping and sexual favours are involved will depend on the individual. It does have an unfavourable note to it, certainly not a profession parents want to see their daughters be involved in.

Archived