Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you know that SoompiTV now has "We Got Married," "Dad! Where Are We Going?" and "Infinity Challenge" with subtitles? ^^v

The Acne thread (mods please close)

Replies

• OnimalOnimal Posts: 51Member, New Member
    edited February 2012
    Your vitamins and nutrients effects your hormones ;) Normally hormonal induce acne affect the neck, back and chest aswell, do you have it there? If it's hormonal a few bolus of Vitamin B5 would help, it's a water soluble vitamin so you'd need a very high concentration, I recommend 10g. Vitamin B5 increases progesterone thus inhibits 5-alpha reductase and DHT. Since you've already tried accutane which is a derivative of vitamin A, I doubt vitamin A supplementation is going to be effective, since you'd need a bolus of that to equal a small dose of accutane.

Facial acne in isolation without neck/back/chest is usually due to food intolerances/sensitivity with most dairy products being a culprit, along with refined carbohydrates, both of which cause large insulmeic response raising inaddition to raising IGF-1. Sugar also changes the saturate fatty acid composition of your skin. Transdermal vitamin B3 seems to help facial but not neck/back/chest acne. Do I even need to talk about caffeine, trans fat and alcohol?

Fish oil and Vitamin D3 are both anti-inflammatory which does seem to correct deficiencies in most people aswell as reducing outbreaks. Low quality sleep, stress, poor diet too many toxins and not enough nutrients tend to aggravate spots.

Hydroquinone with alpha hydroxy acids might work for skin depigmentation.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22002814
    Or if you prefer the laser route
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20629693
  • hot-chocolatehot-chocolate FrancePosts: 311Member

ROOKIE

Onimal wrote on 17 February 2012 - 11:40 PM:

Your vitamins and nutrients effects your hormones ;) Normally hormonal induce acne affect the neck, back and chest aswell, do you have it there? If it's hormonal a few bolus of Vitamin B5 would help, it's a water soluble vitamin so you'd need a very high concentration, I recommend 10g. Vitamin B5 increases progesterone thus inhibits 5-alpha reductase and DHT. Since you've already tried accutane which is a derivative of vitamin A, I doubt vitamin A supplementation is going to be effective, since you'd need a bolus of that to equal a small dose of accutane.

Facial acne in isolation without neck/back/chest is usually due to food intolerances/sensitivity with most dairy products being a culprit, along with refined carbohydrates, both of which cause large insulmeic response raising inaddition to raising IGF-1. Sugar also changes the saturate fatty acid composition of your skin. Transdermal vitamin B3 seems to help facial but not neck/back/chest acne. Do I even need to talk about caffeine, trans fat and alcohol?

Fish oil and Vitamin D3 are both anti-inflammatory which does seem to correct deficiencies in most people aswell as reducing outbreaks. Low quality sleep, stress, poor diet too many toxins and not enough nutrients tend to aggravate spots.

Hydroquinone with alpha hydroxy acids might work for skin depigmentation.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22002814
    Or if you prefer the laser route
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20629693

So I've just called my dermatologist and I've fully translated your "theory" to him. Sadly it isn't valid for everyone and especially not for me, hence insisting further isn't useful to me personnally. Though it is quite interesting since it does put out a lot of information.
    I'll make sure to look it up though personally I am not willing to opt for any f these options.

My acne is genetically transferred since my PCOS is and knowing it is actually the real source of te problem he told me that taking cuts min supplements won't be very effective side you have to administrate a permanent dose (continuously) to actually counter attack the hormonal activity which is permanent, active every second. Clearly the cysts around my right ovary might be obstructing the secretion of progesterone which is the inhibitor o testosterone (of which the level is significantly high in my body).

Fish oil is part of my Asian tradition and I do have a regular in take of it. As for my life style, having corrected habits from eating to sleep and daily physical activity, I saw no progress which was of great deception. Te only thing I disagree with in your post is you seem to base everything down to a simple list of numerates factors when there are countless of sources in terms of acne such as there are many for cancer.
    Some of the factors you give out surely are proven by the scientical field but some you seem to lay out from personal experience which I do understand.

Sharing your information is a great thing and I am quite happy someone has posted massive information here after a long time of boring activity in this thread. Though, we all must impose on ourselves an extensive point of view as we talk about acne sources. Hopefully this those work for someone, having confirmation from my doctor that this surely won't work for my cystic acne sadly, won't make do anything of the above listed "therapies" you've given.

Thank you so much for your contribution, now that you've gotten me quite interested I most likely will research about this. Probably even blog about it.

P.S. Hopefully I didn't come off as a female dog, it generally happens without me noticing it. All typos shall be forgiven! :)
    I am a sucker for KIM HYUN JOONG.
    ThexxAcnexxChick's thread - A place to discuss acne and help acne sufferers.
    My YouTube channel - A place to discuss acne and beauty.
    FloralAnatomy - A place for makeup!
    After watching your acne story, everything seems a lot clearer now. Considering that your not hormonally blessed my do it yourself strategy probably won't do jack. You maybe right about PCOS and low progesterone, which is something that supplement and lifestyle can't address, bummer -_-

ROOKIE

Onimal wrote on 18 February 2012 - 06:20 AM:

After watching your acne story, everything seems a lot clearer now. Considering that your not hormonally blessed my do it yourself strategy probably won't do jack. You maybe right about PCOS and low progesterone, which is something that supplement and lifestyle can't address, bummer -_-

I know right? Real bummer but hey, my acne majoritarily cleared up (I mean I don't know how it even happened really, but my skin was awful).
    Though really, thanks, it's nice to see people who take their time and give out info and experience to others. I'm actually planning to elaborate more of the info I give, just ugh, medical school won't allow me to breathe and have an hour of free time .
    My post is nothing compare to the thread you dedicated. You must be very hard working and committed if your doing medicine. Btw do you eat a lot of vegetables?
    Just asking since your before picture seem to have this golden glow.

ROOKIE

Onimal wrote on 18 February 2012 - 07:21 AM:

My post is nothing compare to the thread you dedicated. You must be very hard working and committed if your doing medicine. Btw do you eat a lot of vegetables?
    Just asking since your before picture seem to have this golden glow.

Thank you.
    But people who contribute to this thread bring more life here.

Oh I do eat a lot of vgetables, but I'm guessing I had orange/oxydized foundation on that day which gave it a more "golden" color. And I use to be a very tan person. I'm actually really pale compared to before now.
    Maybe we should encourage a holistic approach to treating acne as well as benefiting overall skin health. Hopefully this would liven the thread inaddition to providing incentives for acne amelioration along with healthy aesthetics.

I believe most people on viewing this thread have mild acne and they're looking for easy one step solutions that they could do at home without profession consultation and treatment. Hence, why I emphasise OTC vitamins, supplements and life style approaches. For people with severe acne and hormonal imbalances I doubt I could help them with their acne without knowing much of this field. Although I still feel we shouldn't over look a healthy lifestyle due to additional benefits it brings in regards to overall skin health.

Here's a start:
    More vegetables, carotenoids improve skim complexion, another reason to eat your vegetables.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/feb/08/attractiveness-healthy-food

Beauty sleep promotes facial rejuvenation and circulation, something totally ignored these days.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11993944

Too much refined carb and sugar ages the skin, so it not only bad for the belly but the skin too.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8929108/High-blood-sugar-speeds-up-ageing.html

I should layoff pubmed and science paper from now on.
  • fu yuenfu yuen Posts: 101Member

ROOKIE

Just wanted to add my own two cents.

I used to have a pretty bad case of acne in my middle school and high school year. But somehow, during the summer between high school and college, I managed to clear up. Now my friends in college don't believe that I used to have really bad acne lol.

A few things that changed during that summer: 1) I slept a lot more and was a lot less stressed 2) I religiously used the Jan Marini Teen Clean system the entire summer It was recommended to me by the salon lady who my mom goes to for facials.

Teen Clean comes with a Benzoyl Peroxide wash, Benzoyl Peroxide, and an anti-oxidant sunscreen. I would wash my face with the wash, then put the benzoyl peroxide on after, or after I shower. I actually really like the sunscreen, too, because it goes on very light and it's not oily at all.

I even let my friend try this system when she had a huge pimple, and she was amazed because the pimple went away after she used if for 2-3 days.

The only sad part is this system is on the pricier side, but I only use a little each time, so the whole system lasts me a really long time.
    imageimage
    Andy <3
    Credits to Project Orange: Operation Graphics

ROOKIE

Onimal wrote on 18 February 2012 - 11:01 AM:

Maybe we should encourage a holistic approach to treating acne as well as benefiting overall skin health. Hopefully this would liven the thread inaddition to providing incentives for acne amelioration along with healthy aesthetics.

I believe most people on viewing this thread have mild acne and they're looking for easy one step solutions that they could do at home without profession consultation and treatment. Hence, why I emphasise OTC vitamins, supplements and life style approaches. For people with severe acne and hormonal imbalances I doubt I could help them with their acne without knowing much of this field. Although I still feel we shouldn't over look a healthy lifestyle due to additional benefits it brings in regards to overall skin health.

Here's a start:
    More vegetables, carotenoids improve skim complexion, another reason to eat your vegetables.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/feb/08/attractiveness-healthy-food

Beauty sleep promotes facial rejuvenation and circulation, something totally ignored these days.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11993944

Too much refined carb and sugar ages the skin, so it not only bad for the belly but the skin too.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8929108/High-blood-sugar-speeds-up-ageing.html

I should layoff pubmed and science paper from now on.

Oh god, you're the 100th person telling me I seem to ignore holistic care. I'm not, I just need time of medschool to write about it.

Thanks x
  • YoliePYolieP Posts: 700Member

IDOL

Lately what's keeping my face stay clear is just using Benzoyl Peroxide 10% (from Clearasil) all over my face. But just a thin film that you can't even tell I have any cream on my face. Ah and Tamanu Oil cause I read that it's really good for the skin and helps with the scarring too. So far it hasn't broke me out or anything bad. And I just wash my face with an all natural ingredient soap...I don't know if they sell it anywhere else that isn't in my country...plus I forgot what it's even called lol. But I'm happy that I finally found something to wash my face with that doesn't make it worse. And hopefully this benzoyl peroxide and tamanu oil regime keeps working forever LOL. It isn't bad to use BP everyday right?

ROOKIE

YolieP wrote on 19 February 2012 - 03:54 PM:

Lately what's keeping my face stay clear is just using Benzoyl Peroxide 10% (from Clearasil) all over my face. But just a thin film that you can't even tell I have any cream on my face. Ah and Tamanu Oil cause I read that it's really good for the skin and helps with the scarring too. So far it hasn't broke me out or anything bad. And I just wash my face with an all natural ingredient soap...I don't know if they sell it anywhere else that isn't in my country...plus I forgot what it's even called lol. But I'm happy that I finally found something to wash my face with that doesn't make it worse. And hopefully this benzoyl peroxide and tamanu oil regime keeps working forever LOL. It isn't bad to use BP everyday right?

Hi thanks for sharing (:
    Normally if you use the prescripted dose of benzoyl peroxide or at least what is says on the box, normally you'll be ok.

x
  • amberlightsamberlights Posts: 30Member
    hi i hope you can help me with a scar a have :X
    at the start of 2012 i began to develop a really deep pimple near my left jawline and it lasted quite a long time. it didnt look too bad as it was really deep and it wasnt red. however, it began to reach the surface of my skin in february and thats when i began picking at it. (sorry!!!)
    at this moment its scarred with a small lump and an ice pick scar in the centre with a purplish colour to it. im afraid that the scar might be a permanent hypertrophic scar with the purplish tint and its been bugging me for quite some time. i dont mind the ice pick being there as long as the surrounding hypertrophic tissue goes away!!
    do you have any tips or anything to share to help me get rid of it?' thanks a lot :)
    "laugh, and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone"
    hot-chocolate

ROOKIE

amberlights wrote on 20 February 2012 - 06:30 AM:

hi i hope you can help me with a scar a have :X
    at the start of 2012 i began to develop a really deep pimple near my left jawline and it lasted quite a long time. it didnt look too bad as it was really deep and it wasnt red. however, it began to reach the surface of my skin in february and thats when i began picking at it. (sorry!!!)
    at this moment its scarred with a small lump and an ice pick scar in the centre with a purplish colour to it. im afraid that the scar might be a permanent hypertrophic scar with the purplish tint and its been bugging me for quite some time. i dont mind the ice pick being there as long as the surrounding hypertrophic tissue goes away!!
    do you have any tips or anything to share to help me get rid of it?' thanks a lot :)

Hi there huney!

So first of all,
    I need to see a very clear picture of your scar, if you don't mind, you might be mixing up hypertrophic and a dead blemish still containing blood and puss.
    The purple contouring it quite normal since hyperpigmentation scar can be associated with hyperthrophic of even box/rolling scars.
    If it is indeed hypertrophic you might have to wait for the picmentation around it to fade and see how bad it really is (dark contours can make a scar look like it's a big deal when it actually isn't).

Hoping it's nothing seriously, I'll be waiting for your photo.

x
    edited February 2012
    It's cool with me, I understand that your very busy training to become a good doctor, nor do I want to talk about holistic health care for now.

Ok I've had some time to be more familiar with PCOS, which was very interesting learning experiance to me, the geek within me loves endocrinology :D

Apparently PCOS is caused by insulin resistance and I'll let the diagram explain.
    Insulin%2Bresistance%2B%26%2BPCOS.png
    For more info check this out

Insulin resistance along with carbohydrates leads to excessive insulin and Insulin like growth factor-1 out put along with the higher DHT and lower progesterone level to promote acne. Just to clarify I'm not saying all PCOS have acne or high insulin & IGF-1/high DHT/low progesterone but there is a increased tendency.

You don't even need to have cysts to have PCOS just excessive insulin output and insulin sensitive ovaries which leads to a whole new hormonal cascade

ROOKIE

Onimal wrote on 20 February 2012 - 03:27 PM:

It's cool with me, I understand that your very busy training to become a good doctor, nor do I want to talk about holistic health care for now.

Ok I've had some time to be more familiar with PCOS, which was very interesting learning experiance to me, the geek within me loves endocrinology :D

Apparently PCOS is caused by insulin resistance and I'll let the diagram explain.
    *quoted image*
    For more info check this out

Insulin resistance along with carbohydrates leads to excessive insulin and Insulin like growth factor-1 out put along with the higher DHT and lower progesterone level to promote acne. Just to clarify I'm not saying all PCOS have acne or high insulin & IGF-1/high DHT/low progesterone but there is a increased tendency.

You don't even need to have cysts to be PCOS just excessive insulin output and insulin sensitive ovaries which leads to a whole new hormonal cascade

Of course insulin is related.
    Proof of that is it creates FSH/LH disorders which directly influence gonad hormone secretions. And progesterone is use to actually block your testosterone secretion. So all leads to what I actually initially pointed out about acne. Not to be rude, but I don't know why you seem to be pointing out that I'm saying PCOS=cyst. I've never mentionned it, though of course I base my knowledge on what I learn about my own body, having stayed in the hospital for almost a year due to personal reasons.
    I'd hate to say it but you can't just be too sure and dab down that PCOS is only induced by insulin. I can give you an example which is myself. I am diagnosed with PCOS and I've never been the carbohydrates/sweets person, my nutrition is base on white meat and steamed vegetables and yet I have PCOS.
    I'd like you and all other readers to have an extensive point of view of what PCOS and acne is, as a future doctor, I insist on it. I've handled people trying to give me concrete scientific explanations/advice (major pet peeve actually, like many people who suffer of 3rd degree acne) about what my problems really were, as if I've never tried everything. Anyway they weren't extensive, they were useful yet not enough to help me get rid of my nor my cysts. Plus, having a general blood test taken up (insulinemia checked), nothing was wrong.

Ah, I feel like I'm being somehow mean. Though I have to applause for your interest of the subject, because it's a much more complexe problem if seen in a less cartesian way. Hormones aren't as simple as you put them too, even with your impressive research you have to take in account that even doctors can't completely heal 80% of PCOS cases generally speaking. I know this, because my gynecologist and even better, my endocrinologist admitted it.

Anyway, kudos for the research. Maybe you can start your own acne business or soemthing, you seem pretty good at what you do.

x
    edited February 2012
    It's certainly very difficult to alter in situ ovary insulin sensitivity with a systemic insulin resistance. I haven't stated its all insulin, but it's the major factor in the root cause, not to be rude either. The ovary insulin sensitivity/systemic insulin resistance ratio doesn't go away even if you do change your diet, an analogy of this is that a diabetic going on a low-carb diet doesn't cure diabetes, it's merely masking the symptom of the disease by side stepping the high blood glucose. As soon as the high carbs diets is back they'd have high blood glucose because they're still diabetic.

Stop over thinking, your pulling too many straw mans in the last few posts, most of which is not what you think I imply.

ROOKIE

edited February 2012
    Onimal wrote on 20 February 2012 - 04:17 PM:

It's certainly very difficult to alter in situ ovary insulin sensitivity with a systemic insulin resistance. I haven't stated its all insulin, but it's the major factor in the root cause, not to be rude either. The ovary insulin sensitivity/systemic insulin resistance ratio doesn't go away even if you do change your diet, an analogy of this is that a diabetic going on a low-carb diet doesn't cure diabetes, it's merely masking the symptom of the disease by side stepping the high blood glucose. As soon as the high carbs diets is back they'd have high blood glucose because they're still diabetic.

Stop over thinking, your pulling too many straw mans in the last few posts, most of which is not what you think I imply.

First of all, your posts are helpful. So don't get your panties in a twist when I reply. I'm being as polite as I can be here since your initial posts/the majority of what you've come to have done is shove things in my face, to someone who's suffered with almost a decade of severe acne, who's still suffering from it and doesn't so openly talk about it. Excessive advice giving, you should know is a great pet peeve to many people who have/have had my type of acne. And that's what you've done in most of your posts by initially dropping it down my throat almost thinking I haven't researched/thought about most of what you're giving out to me, even if I don't know absolutely everything about it.

And if you read your posts over again and actually consider what I've just said, maybe you'd realize that there are many ways to approach people who have acne, some harsh unconsciously and some good. Clearly, I've seemed to have been very clear that approaching my personal case with your insistence and research has been part of excessive advice giving which can actually get my throat in a bunch. It's almost as if I'm going to tell people who have cancer exactly what you just did, "it's majorly/surely because of this that you cancer" + massive information bulk, thinking the very person who has cancer doesn't know that.

Personally, I enjoyed reading your posts, honestly even if I was greatly peeved by the first 3. But they have good content that is not full of smileys and it is seriously typed out with references. But I very much dislike the part of inconsideration you bring out, not only for me but for many people to whom you may have possibly addressed it the way you have.

Now having all this said, I won't continue the conversation here. Since obviously, we're not going to get along which was clearly from the start. So please, out of the respect for the few readers I have and for my thread, proceed to PMs. I've already had a hard time trying to keep this thread peaceful enough having dealt with arguments in here before.

Surely you might be a major in the medical field or at least an experienced person, so I hope it stops here and that not much harm was done. You can think exactly what you want about the way I react, but you probably won't understand.

So, now let's go to PMs if you really want to continue this line of conversation.

You are still free to post here but hoping you've understood what I truly meant.

EDIT: typos fixed.

x
    deadgiveaway

ROOKIE

edited February 2012
    ANNOUNCEMENT

Due to the numerous tests/exams (med school) I am going to be having for the next month, I'll be on a hiatus.
    Depending on how long I'm off and how my YT videos go, I might move this thread to an official site and have this one closed.

My friend has been trying to build up a personal website for me. For my readers and those interested, I'll keep you posted.
    edited February 2012
    First off I admire your passion for these issues, and I believe that you have great devotion for helping people cope with acne, which is a reflection of your career as doctor who truly cares. The blogs, thread and video that are loaded with your sound advice, experience and encouragement that shows your commitment.

To be honest it's mutually uncomfortable for you to think of me that way. On the other hand I do have to admit, my first three post has indeed came out as great peeves prior to viewing the blogs and videos. Unfortunately this gave me the vibe of your defensiveness, after observing some of your rebuttals pulling straw mans in addition to sarcastic comments. I do agree with some of it as there were some very valid points of criticisms, it's just that when I talk about the general context, it's obviously doesn't applies to specific contexts with different settings. I could comprehend why I might seem passively aggressive towards you after the bad start, to be fair I couldn't really blame you based on your position, after all this is a sensitive topic especially since you were a long term sufferer.

Lastly my purpose here is not to be maligning you or other people, I don't really mean to make a stir. I've tried to keep this thread peaceful from refraining to enter a destructive debate. I haven't refuted your assertions; some of which were insignificant in detail that'd be petty for me to rebutt, nor did I doubt you experience or challenging your knowledge when I show a few of my findings. If you want a constructive debate on let's say "the causes of acne", I'm willing to challenge you in substance and detail. Although this isn't my field, I have had a chance to go through some dermatologist papers to familiarise myself over the weekend,I have a few key points that I'd like to mention. If you want I could just PM my hypothesis to you so could decide whether to add on some of it to your next video. You could always refuse and say no.

Eventhough there's obviously too much testosterone around for comfort, but unlike you I could still enjoy it's raging presence. Granted I am a guy after all, but don't let this ruin your thread, you shouldn't need to close it.

ROOKIE

Onimal wrote on 21 February 2012 - 07:49 AM:

First off I admire your passion for these issues, and I believe that you have great devotion for helping people cope with acne, which is a reflection of your career as doctor who truly cares. The blogs, thread and video that are loaded with your sound advice, experience and encouragement that shows your commitment.

To be honest it's mutually uncomfortable for you to think of me that way. On the other hand I do have to admit, my first three post has indeed came out as great peeves prior to viewing the blogs and videos. Unfortunately this gave me the vibe of your defensiveness, after observing some of your rebuttals pulling straw mans in addition to sarcastic comments. I do agree with some of it as there were some very valid points of criticisms, it's just that when I talk about the general context, it's obviously doesn't applies to specific contexts with different settings. I could comprehend why I might seem passively aggressive towards you after the bad start, to be fair I couldn't really blame you based on your position, after all this is a sensitive topic especially since you were a long term sufferer.

Lastly my purpose here is not to be maligning you or other people, I don't really mean to make a stir. I've tried to keep this thread peaceful from refraining to enter a destructive debate. I haven't refuted your assertions; some of which were insignificant in detail that'd be petty for me to rebutt, nor did I doubt you experience or challenging your knowledge when I show a few of my findings. If you want a constructive debate on let's say "the causes of acne", I'm willing to challenge you in substance and detail. Although this isn't my field, I have had a chance to go through some dermatologist papers to familiarise myself over the weekend,I have a few key points that I'd like to mention. If you want I could just PM my hypothesis to you so could decide whether to add on some of it to your next video. You could always refuse and say no.

Eventhough there's obviously too much testosterone around for comfort, but unlike you I could still enjoy it's raging presence. Granted I am a guy after all, but don't let this ruin your thread, you shouldn't need to close it.

I don't feel like replying in a developed matter, since this is seriously tiring the crap out off me. Which is really not beneficial on my side.

As admirable and as eloquent your replies are, as happy I am to see there's someone out there who can explain acne better than I can, I'd just like you to know that I'd never insert any of your theories/research for there aren't mine, if I have never had time to research and study it myself, I will never put up anything here.

I am following a certain rythm that even those void of science knowledge can follow easily without having to cram content that they can't ingest due to the different field each and on of us specialize in. That said, I do my brainy work else where. This thread is initially an outlet for everyone to express their story and not necessarily to bombard one another with scientific hypothesis (which can e interesting yet segregating for a lot of us here, myself included).

Last point, my apologies if you've taken my last line claiming you should open up an acne blog/business as sarcasm. Though it wasn't intended, I did mean it.

Now that I just got out from class and I had brain fuse, I'd like to proceed to a different type of conversation.

Knowing I am planning to move my entire thread out of soompi maybe you can take the relay since honestly, you have more potential in explaining than I do, knowing all the knowledge I have is in French. I'm here to make this my personal outlet and outlet for others. Not more nor less.

Thanks for the lively conversation.