Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nursing Students!

Comments

• ishme4nowzishme4nowz Posts: 9Member
    edited December 2011
    m1sh_glooor1a wrote on 11 December 2011 - 04:05 AM:

I finally finished my first quarter of nursing school!

I am seriously SO proud of myself for finishing it.
    When people told me it was hard... they really meant it!

I miss pre-reqs! Anyways, to all of the nursing students out there, be proud of yourselves :)

"Nurses don't practice to get it right, they keep practicing until they can't get it wrong" -Professor H. (professor at my school)
    Hope you all can go off this quote too.

Wow, congrats!! ^.^

I'm a Pre-Nursing major right now at a community college planning to transfer and I already feel like the prereqs are a lot of work >.< I also heard that nursing school was hard so I pretty much feel like this >> Dx

Anyway, congrats again!! Good luck through the rest of your program!! :D
    ~ Hi ~
  • gloriajayjunggloriajayjung CALIFORNIAPosts: 377Member

ROOKIE

ishme4nowz wrote on 12 December 2011 - 10:18 PM:

Wow, congrats!! ^.^

I'm a Pre-Nursing major right now at a community college planning to transfer and I already feel like the prereqs are a lot of work >.< I also heard that nursing school was hard so I pretty much feel like this >> Dx

Anyway, congrats again!! Good luck through the rest of your program!! :D

Heehee, thanks.
  • prechuz_aznprechuz_azn Posts: 3,037Member

IDOL

m1sh_glooor1a wrote on 10 December 2011 - 11:05 PM:

I finally finished my first quarter of nursing school!

I am seriously SO proud of myself for finishing it.
    When people told me it was hard... they really meant it!

I miss pre-reqs! Anyways, to all of the nursing students out there, be proud of yourselves :)

"Nurses don't practice to get it right, they keep practicing until they can't get it wrong" -Professor H. (professor at my school)
    Hope you all can go off this quote too.

Nursing is freakkin' hard. Its probably way harder than actually being a nurse.
    At least when you're a registered nurse you have tons of autonomy but as a nursing student
    you are told to do it like one way and thats it. *sigh*

I am wrapping up my first quarter of nursing school and man...I just gotta tell ya
    those exams are freakkin' hard as hell! I am passing but I fear for next semester because
    now I know what to expect, it might be even harder.

Good luck to all the Hopefuls who are planning on transferring to BSN programs or ADN programs.
    Seriously, its ridiculously competitive to get into nursing programs these days o_O
    credits to serenityx3 
  • zhujializhujiali San FranciscoPosts: 1,199Member

IDOL

edited December 2011
    Is being pre-nursing just basically taking the pre-reqs to get into a nursing program?

Hmm..I was thinking about doing a CNA training program nursing program and man is it expensive...good idea to do it or no?

*Edit
    Should I be retaking my statistics class? I got a C+ =/ I'm really bad in statistics :( Or would it be okay as long as I get mostly A's and some B's with volunteer experience? I'm scared I won't be able to get into a nursing program because of this C+ but I'm sure that if I retake it, I'll most likely get the same grade or even lower =/

*Edit again
    Never mind -.- I don't think I can retake my class since I didn't get an F..
  • OMGitzYOUOMGitzYOU o.o CaliforniaPosts: 1,148Member

IDOL

after 2 and a half year of pre-req I made it into my state uni nursing program with a 3.7 yayayay I'm nervous yet super happy :-)
    FnF!
    prosperitasDaylightfulsara-tart
  • prosperitasprosperitas Posts: 201Member
    for all of you who are in ADN, BSN, ABSN programs

do you think it's okay to work 20-30 hours a week when doing an ADN program?
    another big question: would you wait a year and a half to see if you could get into a ABSN program instead of wasting 3 years total to get an associates and a bachelors?

IDOL

prosperitas wrote on 24 December 2011 - 09:52 AM:

for all of you who are in ADN, BSN, ABSN programs

do you think it's okay to work 20-30 hours a week when doing an ADN program?
    another big question: would you wait a year and a half to see if you could get into a ABSN program instead of wasting 3 years total to get an associates and a bachelors?

I am in a BSN program but what I know about the intensity of nursing classes tells me that working
    20-30 hours is hard. Especially since the classes especially science classes might be time-consuming
    if you're not a science nerd. I recommend working part-time during your pre-requisite semesters
    and cutting it down to about 10 hours when you're taking nursing classes.

I think you should wait a year and a half to see if you get into a ABSN.
    credits to serenityx3 
  • AntzAntz 211107 ? Perth, AustraliaPosts: 16,953Member

IDOL

I've just graduated from my nursing course at uni, and I just want to say good luck to everyone here who are currently undertaking some kind of nursing course, or to those who are thinking about it. It was a long 4 years for me but it was well worth it, and hard work pays off in the end. It's so rewarding, and I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did (apart from those dreaded morning and late shifts (prac in general LOL) and those daily struggles of going into uni early... or at all!). I've got a graduate program at a major teaching hospital here for two years, which will definitely test me as a nurse! And I'm hoping to be registered in the next week or two (after some minor hiccups). :)

Good luck everyone! :)
    ❥
    tumblr twitter
    prosperitas
  • cheerydumdumcheerydumdum bay area :DPosts: 2,256Member

IDOL

edited January 2012
    @anjerlaninja, i believe you can become a CNA after completing one year of nursing school. just something you might want to consider. i'm not really sure how it works though. i don't know if you have to take a test or something. lol i really need to look into that for myself.

i have a kind of random question. i have this phobia of little things (usually holes or circles) clustered together. i've just started learning about physical assessment and i had to look at lots of pictures of different kinds of skin problems. i mean, i'm not scared to death of clusters of holes/circles, but i did get kind of freaked out looking at the pictures. i can't imagine how i'd feel looking at the real thing. i guess i'm scared of blood and wounds too. how do you guys get over that? do you just get used to it? i remember a professor once said that most nurses don't actually like working with blood, but they just do it because it's part of their job and they get used to it. clinicals are starting soon, and i just want to be more prepared. :P
  • AntzAntz 211107 ? Perth, AustraliaPosts: 16,953Member

IDOL

cheerydumdum wrote on 16 January 2012 - 05:20 AM:

@anjerlaninja, i believe you can become a CNA after completing one year of nursing school. just something you might want to consider. i'm not really sure how it works though. i don't know if you have to take a test or something. lol i really need to look into that for myself.

i have a kind of random question. i have this phobia of little things (usually holes or circles) clustered together. i've just started learning about physical assessment and i had to look at lots of pictures of different kinds of skin problems. i mean, i'm not scared to death of clusters of holes/circles, but i did get kind of freaked out looking at the pictures. i can't imagine how i'd feel looking at the real thing. i guess i'm scared of blood and wounds too. how do you guys get over that? do you just get used to it? i remember a professor once said that most nurses don't actually like working with blood, but they just do it because it's part of their job and they get used to it. clinicals are starting soon, and i just want to be more prepared. :P

I never really had a fear with blood or any bodily fluids like that, so I'm okay with blood. I don't mind it, but that doesn't mean I like it. So I don't mind working with blood. Wounds can be pretty gross but they're fun, maybe because they're more hands on. I know most nurses love wound care, but I know some that are scared of blood, which I find really weird because you're going to encounter blood nearly every day, depending on where you are. It's going to be a struggle if it's stopping you from doing nursing care, though. I dunno how the nurses will feel during your clinicals though... hahaha.

I suppose if you work with them more, you can try overcoming your fear. That's what I'd do. I used to be so scared even communicating with patients but I'm fine with it now after lots of experience from many years of clinical.
    ❥
    tumblr twitter
  • cheerydumdumcheerydumdum bay area :DPosts: 2,256Member

IDOL

^ well, i hope i'll be good at hiding it and eventually learn to get used to it. thanks for your advice. :)
  • wutermelonwutermelon Posts: 70Member

ROOKIE

Im a freshmen in college going into nursing
    Idk if someone posted about this in this 49 paged thread but What are the pros and cons of studying for RN in community college?

IDOL

^ Cheaper tuition. Close to home.

Cons
    - Cutthroat competition because of cheaper tuition
    - Low faculty to student ratio (depends)
    - Clinical placements are not easily accessible or the school might not have many agreements with nearby hospitals or clinical sites
    credits to serenityx3 
  • wutermelonwutermelon Posts: 70Member

ROOKIE

prechuz_azn wrote on 21 January 2012 - 01:24 AM:

^ Cheaper tuition. Close to home.

Cons
    - Cutthroat competition because of cheaper tuition
    - Low faculty to student ratio (depends)
    - Clinical placements are not easily accessible or the school might not have many agreements with nearby hospitals or clinical sites

sorry if this sounds stupid but what do you mean by the competition being hard? Are you talking about in school? or like certain positions at hospitals? Because i heard Nursing has the best job security

IDOL

wutermelon wrote on 20 January 2012 - 08:52 PM:

sorry if this sounds stupid but what do you mean by the competition being hard? Are you talking about in school? or like certain positions at hospitals? Because i heard Nursing has the best job security

Why would I be discussing employment when we're obviously talking about school. -_- Yeah. Community college is a cheaper option than public university or private so there will be a lot of competition from other like-minded people like yourself who realize its actually smarter to go to a CC knowing that nursing education is practically the same everywhere.

Lol, don't you think I already know that nursing has one of the best job securities?
    credits to serenityx3 
  • Angel_luvusaAngel_luvusa ptc, GeorgiaPosts: 537Member
    I hope I'm not too off topic, but I just wanted to say hi to all the fellow nursing student soompier's! I just started a BSN program down in Savannah, and would love to meet anybody who also might be at a school down here.

Good luck with the semester everybody!! =]
  • AiriinxKumoriAiriinxKumori ??????. south caliPosts: 4,035Member
    Hi, I'm currently studying for Bachelor's degree in Child&Adolescent studies then taking nursing as graduate.
    What should I expect or do more to prepare?
    Also should I worry that my memory skills is not up to par/weak?
    vn1ifr.jpg
    {credit:j_k_icons}{tumblr}{411}
  • babyy luckiibabyy luckii NYCPosts: 898Member
    Hi, I'm currently studying for Bachelor's degree in Child&Adolescent studies then taking nursing as graduate.
    What should I expect or do more to prepare?
    Also should I worry that my memory skills is not up to par/weak?
    Hi!

I graduated with a BSN recently and passed my boards and i have to tell you DO NOT slack off! 
    1. read the materials before you go to class basically (you want to be ahead of the class). this will help you understand and memorize since you are going for accelerated program i assume? 
    2. make sure you understand the nursing process 
    3. i have poor memory skills as I am a on hands type of person so it takes me twice as long to memorize so i say spend at least 1-2hrs reviewing the materials after class. 
    4. also try to understand the difference of a nurse/doctor it will help!
    I hope this helps ^^, if you still have more questions i be glad to answer them if i can ! Good luck with nursing everyone! Nursing FTW!
    별은 희망의 표시이다. 
    우리가 그것을 원하는 이유입니다.

IDOL

^ congrats on passing your boards! 

I have 6 semesters left of my BSN program.  I'm going into my third year and thats when things get serious. I'm so scared. I'm brushing up 
    on my fundamentals this summer at this minute (taking a break) as well as revisiting all the nursing skills I had learned. Truthfully, my nursing fundamental class didn't really focus on a lot of the topics in fundamentals such as trach and wound care. We only spent one day on wound care and one day on trach care. I'm really concerned about my foundation going into OB this semester so I'm definitely focusing all I can on brushing up on my fundamentals. 

I also bought some nursing school supplements that I read were really good for content and practicing for the NCLEX-RN. I bought Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX 5e as well as Prioritization, Delegation and Assessment by Linda LaCharity. I've read so many good things about these two books and how people wished they had those books during nursing school. I am definitely going to need all the supplemental stuff I can get since nursing school is a real killer but I've heard Med-Surg was the absolute worse. 
    credits to serenityx3 
  • timbointimboin CaliforniaPosts: 1New Member
    s4r4 -Saw your post about male nurses and had to give a shout – 100% male nurse here taking  online nursing programs - gotta support us!

s4r4 said:
    QUOTE(kahmeng_srey @ Oct 10 2005, 06:11 PM) »
    how can u going to a nursing major? do u have to major in a science course or what?
    Depends what program you're aiming for. Are you going for LPN, RN, or BSN? Community colleges offer LPN and RN programs while universities offer BSN. I'll be graduating next semester with my BSN and will take my boards shortly after. I hope I pass on the first try. For the nursing program, there are certain prerequisites that you must take and you apply for the program at your college. See a counselor for more details. I'm not very good at explaining all of this. image
    QUOTE(koreanshorty5 @ Oct 12 2005, 10:45 PM) »
    Yeah! Male nurses are in high demand! Now some of the patients prefer male nurses than women and also they are saying they can lift and move patients better!
    Quite sexist but quite true. I had to lift a 400+ lbs. patient today and if there wasn't my 2 male nurse friends with me, the only thing I could have probably lift of her was her toe.

That's great you guys are doing this to improve the health care field. I have some really dumb and mean people in my clinicals that I just want to choke. image