Digital Perm!

hanie

Guest Aria_Rheina

:) A shorter perm for moi! I was hesitant to have my hair cut just above my chest before it was permed. I thought i might end up with an ajjhuma perm but it turns out that the curls aren't really that tight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ♥Love♥

HELLO everyone! =)

Can somebody recommend a good salon for a digital perm in NYC at a reasonable price? I would like to get big bouncy curls.

For example: digital-perm.jpg

Or something like this would be great too.

digital+perm%252C+perms%252C+body+wave+perm%252C+perm.jpg

Thank you so much!

Guest crisply

I got a steam perm.my hair is so puffy and voluminous. I love it. I remember the first time I got a steam perm years ago, I got really tight little ahjumma curls..by the same stylist. so make sure you communicate well with your stylist. I actually just went in to get my edges trimmed and at the end she kinda waved my hair using a flat iron and it was pretty and voluminous and I asked if she could perm it to look just like that and she did :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alichoooo

I just got my digital perm done this morning after contemplating it for months. When it was finished, the guy at the salon said that my hair curled really well and he styled it and I was on my way. I loved the way it looked and I didn't mind the curls being a bit tighter because I knew it would relax a little.

But now, 6 hours later, my hair is looking limp and just messy like I had my hair up in a bun for two days and didn't brush or wash it. Even my mom just said to me "is THAT what you paid money for?!"

Is it normal for the hair to look like this even after 6 hours of getting it done?! I know people have said that once you wash it the curls will bounce back. Also, do I need to wait 24 or 48 hours to wash it? The stylist said either but I'd like to know from your guys experience. Any help would be great. With my job it'd be a pain to have to go back and get it re-permed

Guest sasa_1993

I just got my digital perm done this morning after contemplating it for months. When it was finished, the guy at the salon said that my hair curled really well and he styled it and I was on my way. I loved the way it looked and I didn't mind the curls being a bit tighter because I knew it would relax a little.

But now, 6 hours later, my hair is looking limp and just messy like I had my hair up in a bun for two days and didn't brush or wash it. Even my mom just said to me "is THAT what you paid money for?!"

Is it normal for the hair to look like this even after 6 hours of getting it done?! I know people have said that once you wash it the curls will bounce back. Also, do I need to wait 24 or 48 hours to wash it? The stylist said either but I'd like to know from your guys experience. Any help would be great. With my job it'd be a pain to have to go back and get it re-permed

Yeah, it happens to curly hair. Now, we have to experience the frizziness! I just got mind done today and she styled it really nicely and it was soft, but then hours later, it got dry and frizzy. You shouldn't wash your hair within 48 hours (what I was told). When you do, start to use natural moisturizer variant products. Also, buy a mousse or hair wax that you can apply to your hair. If blowdrying is what you also prefer, then use a diffuser that attaches to the head because it gathers up the curls. 

When naturally drying your hair, don't rub the towel in. Wrap sections of curls around your fingers and scrunch the towel over them to soak in the water. Rubbing the towel will only loosen the curls. 

This is my first time, so I don't know much either, but I hope that helps! 

You should see how it goes after you wash it the first time. I wasn't happy with my perm after I washed it because they turned into REALLY light curls... like they weren't even curls anymore, they'd turned into like kinda unnoticeable waves. So a week after I got my hair permed I got it done a second time (free of charge, since my stylist is super nice and felt that she needed to do a really good job on my hair ^^) Now it's fine and I just put my hair up into a bun every night and when I wake up I take it out and my curls are fine :) And when I asked about it she said that I didn't need to wait anytime after my perm to wash my hair (I was finished at about 4 in the afternoon and told me it would be fine to do at night and I did this after getting both of my perms [i'm kinda a clean freak when it comes to my hair >.>]) but if you don't feel comfortable washing your hair so soon then you should wait a while. I know it's troublesome to have to go back and get it done again, but if you're really unhappy with the results then you should go back and get your money's worth!

Guest sasa_1993

I am really somewhat lost on what products that I should use. I bought the ORGANIX Acai Berry Avacado shampoo and the Moroccan Argon Oil conditioner because they didn't supply the same type of both shampoo and conditioner (reliability, I know). Then, I spent a measly two bucks on the Suave Professionals "Captivating Curls Mousse" - which I've found generally good reviews on, but I'm skeptical about it's cheap pricing. Is there any leave in conditioners made for this kind of hair?! 

Guest alichoooo

I am really somewhat lost on what products that I should use. I bought the ORGANIX Acai Berry Avacado shampoo and the Moroccan Argon Oil conditioner because they didn't supply the same type of both shampoo and conditioner (reliability, I know). Then, I spent a measly two bucks on the Suave Professionals "Captivating Curls Mousse" - which I've found generally good reviews on, but I'm skeptical about it's cheap pricing. Is there any leave in conditioners made for this kind of hair?! 

so i finally washed my hair after 48 hours and thank goodness the curls revived themselves. i am experimenting today so i used some products and dont like the wet look of it so i'll have to keep trying. as for products, i just used my normal shampoo and conditioner. i've always used dove damage repair daily moisturizer line (it has a light blue label) even when i had straight hair because it kept it soft and moisturized. i also used the argon moroccan oil renewing hair mask treatment today after i shampooed and conditioned. it makes a difference. afterwards i just did what everyone else did and scrunch and twisted and i also put it my CHI silk infusion. the key is to condition condition condition! good luck with your hair!

Guest Panda Kisses

Fwee~ jumped the digiperm wagon during the summer when I vacationed to the Philippines. I thought it would be cheaper there, but I went for a Korean salon (Tony & Jackey) that cost me about 8k pesos, which is roughly $185. It cost so much because they persuaded me that some extra hair treatments were necessary for me since my hair was thin (the owner, a Korean lady who had to be translated, was really hesitant on perming my hair if I refused). But I thought it was worth it, seeing as how I'll at least be able to try out having wavy hair. They told me it would last up to 6 months with proper care. Here is a picture of the progression:

hair_progress.png

Before: my hair was smooth and straight, but was unevenly dyed (the photo was taken during December 2010).

Same Month: this photo was taken during the same month I got the perm. The curls were really bouncy and my hair was still really soft. They also evened out my hair color for free and cut it. This photo was taken with flash, but the actual color was a nice subdued brown.

September: this was taken after a beach hangout with friends. It was really cold that day, and so the sea breeze calmed my hair a bit. It was a very beachy look, which I liked haha.

Current: so my hair is much longer now, and the waves have relaxed a bit more and have shifted lower. Recently, I haven't been styling my hair as much; I just let the waves come out the way they want to. Sorry this photo is a bit grainy; I had to up the contrast so you can see how the waves look like now haha.

So here are some basic care for digital perms I was instructed to do (and some tips I've come up with that have worked for me):

• DON'T comb your hair when it is dry. Only comb it while you're in the shower and you have conditioner in it (preferably just use your fingers).
  • Style your waves by twirling sections of your hair and then scrunching them.
  • DON'T use heavy styling products such as wax or gel; they will only weigh your hair down and your curls will not show up as nicely. Mousse also makes your hair a bit more tangly. (But if you're using nice products that work for you, then by all means, continue to do so).

LOL ok, so I don't really remember a lot of the stuff they told me to do. Basically, don't comb your hair with a brush or comb when it is dry. It will take out the waves/curls more quickly. Everyone's hair is different, so do what works best for you. I was recommended to use styling products for my hair, but it made it really rough and the waves weren't as prominent. I don't know if the treatment they gave my hair prior to the perm worked or not, but it definitely helped my hair maintain its softness and manageability.

I do miss brushing my hair though :<

I also don't use any special products, shampoo, conditioners, etc. to maintain my hair (and hey, it's lasted 5 months so far). I only use Tresemme shampoo/conditioner most, if not all, of the time.

Note: My bangs were permed along with the rest of my hair as well, but since I like my bangs styled a certain way, I started using a curling iron to get it the way I want. Although I don't mind, it's important for me to let you know that the effect of the perm went away for my bangs because of me ironing it constantly.

Sorry for the long post! Goodluck if you're planning on getting a digital perm~!

Guest flyingmochi

My hair has been dyed several times and it has some damage at the ends due to excessive curling ^-^"

Would a digital perm completely kill my hair? Are digital perms less damaging than regular perms?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chickyl3aby

I've been lurking and following this thread for years now.....and I finally made the jump! I have an appointment to get a digi perm for my hair tomorrow.... I'm excited but nervous at the same time... I hope it turns out okay! Will post later! 

• 3 months later...
Guest MouseMouse:)

Hii! I was just wondering, is there a particular way to keep the curls nice in the morning? Because I just recently got a digi perm and whenever I sleep on it, the curls go very limb and don't have much shape.. Is there a particular way you can sleep on it?

Guest little-fawn

Does anyone have any suggestions for Los Angeles area? Even just around southern cali.

Preferably on the cheaper side... I'm on a tight budget these days :x However, if you really had a quality perm I'd like to know nonetheless for the future!

Guest little-fawn

I just got my 2nd digital perm at Goa. I've been getting my hair done by Hanna for maybe 2-3 years now. I love her.

I have long hair as well, both times she's charged me $180 (plus $10-20 for tip). It's a little more expensive but I've found that it lasts for close to a year.

*quoted image*

The day I got my first perm.

*quoted image*

About 3 months after. I'm pretty lazy so the only product I used was leave-in conditioner, my ends got a little dry after perming, and I always air dried. I think curls started to come out around 5-6 months. But my hair was still fairly wavy for the rest of the year.

*quoted image*

This is on the day I got my 2nd digital perm.

It's been a month. It's not holding up as well as the first time. I've started using mousse.

I think Hanna's gotten busier, she did 2 haircuts while I was getting my perm. The first time I got my perm she was also doing a cut but she had two other girls doing my hair as well.

oh my god, your hair turned out great. this is the kind of perm i'd want, the kind that looks like you just curled your hair with a curling iron.

how would I explain to the stylist that this is what I want? especially if they mostly only speak korean... would pictures be good enough? anyone have any good examples of what I'm talking about to show?

• 1 month later...
Guest scrump92

Does anyone know of any good (and not too expensive) places  to get a digiperm  in the New Jersey/New York area?

I got mine done at Wax in Palisades Park and I really like it! I brought in a picture of the curls I wanted and they made it really similar! Also they're super nice! One thing is they don't really speak English that well and it was on the pricer side (around $170) but my hair is a bit long (was a bit above the chest). I also saw that Hair Banc had a sign up for hair perm and it only said $50 and up, so idk how much it really is? 

Guest scrump92

Hi so I got a perm recently and I just washed it for the first time in 48 hrs yesterday, but I feel like my curls look stronger and more curly when my hair is wet as opposed to dry (which i thought was werid bc I thought digital was opposite of cold perm?) anyways, i ran out of conditioner so my hair is also a bit dry...will conditioning my hair help the curls stay springy? 

Also if my shampoo doesn't say that it's for permed hair (I use Nexxus?) is that ok? 

Guest alisonwonderland

does the perm damage your hair? personally, I just sleep with my hair in a bun and I get curls all day.

Guest EnglishAntiqueDolly

I'm sick and tired of curling my straight Asian hair everyday. I want a perm like this:

333zhwl.jpg

5220625969_17445843d6_z.jpg

I love these curls and the volume.

Should I consider a digital perm or a normal perm? I heard digital perms only give you waves, not the curls I want. :o

I have long hair half way down my back, so it will probably be right above my chest if I get a perm.

Archived