Episodes: 20

Date of airing: January 4th - March 15th, 2012
Airing time: 21:55 KST
Writer: 진수완 Jin Soo Wan
Director: 김도훈 Kim Do Hoon
Adapted Book: 해를 품은 달 by 정은궐 / The moon that embraces the sun by Jeong Eun Kwon

Official site: http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/sunNmoon/index.html

Story:

Yeon Woo who was betrothed to the crown prince, Lee Hwon was plotted against and believed to be killed by the people who are both jealous and fearful of her beauty and wits when she was just a young girl. Having being saved by a female Shaman after her killers deemed her to be dead, she grew up to become a shaman just like her adopted mother under the name of Wol. She encounters the adult "Lee Hwon" who grew up to be a cruel, cold and uncaring person after the pain of losing his most beloved Yeon Woo. As Lee Hwon began to returned back to his orginal kind nature due to his love for Wol whom attracted him with her similarities with Yeon Woo, the truth behind the plotting of Yeon Woo's death comes to light and he finds himself again in a difficult position as he finds out his grandmother and sister being involved in it.

===================

Main Cast

yw.jpg
Han Ga In / Kim Yoo Jung (young Yeon Woo) as  Wol / Heo Yeon Woo

She was saved by a female shaman when she was young when she was plotted to be killed by the people who are both jealous and fearful of her beauty and wits when she was just a young girl. Having grown up to be a female shaman under the name of Wol (Moon), she re-encounters Lee Hyon whom she was once betrothed to. Upon noticing the many similiarities between Wol and Yeon Woo, Lee Hyon begins to fall for her. Lee Hyon's half older brother, Yang Myung Gun who gets attracted to her kind nature begins to fall for her as well. Will she be able to survive when the suspicions are once are aroused that the supposely dead Yeon Woo is still alive?

hwon.jpg
Kim Soo Hyun / Yeon Jin Goo (young Lee Hwon) as Lee Hwon

Lee Hwon became a changed person after the killing of his betrothed, Yeon Woo. Not longer is he the kind-hearted boy that everyone in the palace/court used to like but a cold, hearted person who refused to love nor accept love no matter how hard Yoon Bo Gyung, the girl who had replaced Woo as his wife tries to win his heart. But his heart began to start beating again after his encounter with Wol who has lots of many similiarities with the already dead Yeon Woo.

ym.jpg
Jung Il Woo / Lee Min Ho (young Yang Myung) as Prince Yang Myung / Yang Myung Goon

His given title is Prince Yang Myung / Yang Myung Goon. He and Lee Hyon are half-brothers who have the same mother but different father. Due to Lee Hyon's father being the king, the position of the crown prince was passed down to Lee Hyon although he is older in age, talented and more well mannered than Lee Hyon. And most likely because he is the elder brother, he is always trying to give in / not fight with his brother for anything. He projects an image of a playboy especially after the death of his first wife. But then with the appearance of Wol, he finds himself fighting for something he wants against his brother for the first time.

bk.jpg
Kim Min Seo / Kim So Hyun (young Yoon Bo Kyung) as Yoon Bo Kyung / Queen Yoon

She became the first official wife of Lee Hwon after the death of Yeon Woo but received none of his love as a woman.
Although she appears to be a kind and warm person, she hides her real face under the mask of lies and pretending to be nice.

hy.jpg
Song Jae Hee / Si Wan (young Heo Yeom) as Heo Yeom

He is the elder brother of Yeon Woo who adores his sister dearly. Although he is marries Princess Min Hwa through an arranged marriage, his heart remains with "Sul" the serving maid of Yeon Woo whom he had grown up with, causing Min Hwa's hatred of him of not thinking of her as a woman.

woon_2.jpg

Song Jae Rim as Woon

Woon (Song Jae Rim) He is the loyal bodyguard of Lee Hwon who is cold on the outside but warm within. Although he is blessed with good looks, brains and fighting skills, he is faulted as being born as the son of a concubine which gives him a lowly status although he is the son of a nobleman.

minhwa.JPG01.jpg
Nam Bora / Jin Ji Hee (young Min Hwa) as Princess Min Hwa

Due to a childish streak of jealous towards Yeon Woo when they were young, Min Hwa unwittingly becomes involved in the plot to kill Yeon Woo. She has been carrying the guilty conscience ever since she knew that Yeon Woo was killed because of her childish act and hopes to make amends towards her family especially after marrying Yeom, Yeon Woo's brother whom she loved with all her heart but he doesn't even think of her as a woman to love after their marriage.

sul.jpg
Yoon Seung Ah as Sul [snow]

She was the maid serving Yeon Woo before her supposed death and had grown up with both Yeom and Yeon Woo since they were young. She followed and served Wol who lost her memories, protecting her with the martial arts she learnt from the enemies who are out to harm her.

Supporting Cast

hyj.jpg

SunWoo Jae Duk as Heo Young Jae, Yeom and Yeon's father

shin.jpg

Yang Mi Kyung as Lady Shin, Yeon Woo and Yeom's birth mother

sung.JPG

Ahn Nae Sang as Great King Seong Jo, Lee Hwon's father

dbyun.JPG

Kim Young Ae as Grand Empress Yoon, Lee Hwon's grandmother

jang.JPG

Jeon Mi Seon as Nation's shaman, Jang Ssi / Wol's adoptive mother

01.jpg

Yoon Hee Seok as Court officer, Hong Gyu Tae

Character Chart

cast_map_bottom.jpg

===================

Added by @partyon :

Rules for the re-watch party (autumn 2020)

1. The re-watch party starts on Monday August 17th 2020
  2. We will watch 2 episodes every week
  3. You can post your thoughts about the week's episodes no earlier than on Wednesday each week
  4. Posts about episodes 1 and 2 can be added to the thread no earlier than on Wed August 19th 2020
  5. You have time to post until Tuesday the following week
  6. The same rules apply as on normal drama threads; there will be staff available on each re-watch party thread
  7. It doesn't matter if you are a first time watcher or if you have watched the drama before - everyone is welcome to join the party! :kiss_wink:
  8. Please be aware that there will be chingus who have not watched the drama before, so no spoilers, please!
  9. The most important thing is to have fun!

:piggydance:

The re-watch drama schedule:

Aug 19-Aug 25 -- ep 1 & 2

Aug 26-Sept 1 -- ep 3 & 4

Sept 2 - Sept 8 -- ep 5 & 6

Sept 9 - Sept 15 -- ep 7 & 8

Sept 16 - Sept 22 -- ep 9 & 10

Sept 23 - Sept 29 - ep 11 & 12

Sept 30 - Oct 6 - ep 13 & 14

Oct 7 - Oct 13 - ep 15 & 16

Oct 14 - Oct 20 - ep 17 & 18

Oct 21 - Oct 27 - ep 19 & 20

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

Update #4 - New rule: "No Instagram embedded posts

Yayyyy!!!!!!!! waiting for this thread to be opened. Thanks @yeohweping for this thread. I am really looking forward to this drama. Really curious reg. the chemistry bet. KSH and HGI, as they have a 6 year age-gap and HGI being senior actress in this field. Will he be able to bring his DH's level of acting/more.

I see lot of top stars supporting this drama. I hope this sageuk drama entertain us like TPM, which i loved so much.

MES fighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest dramaok

first shooting = november 10th, 2011.

right now, they are doing ongoing casting of various palace maids, commoners, ministers, royalties, etc.

Guest nuuryzaan

OMG, i'm so excited!  been waiting for this updates since SKKS!! w00t.gif LOL

so Joo Won is confirm? yeahhh~~~  hmm, I thought his still filming for Okjagyo Brothers?? This guy never rest ain't he.

kayy. i'm so excited for this. this will be my third sageuk drama (: and the casts are my fav. with han gain(i really miss her. the last time i saw her in "Yoo Hee The Witch"), soo hyun and joo won! and the child actor too, Yeo Jin Goo. nice to see him again in another sageuk drama. the plots and the characters seems interesting. can't wait for its pilot episode next year!

Yay, see some TPM fellows here *wave*

Oh, my friend told me that Han Ga In hasnt confirmed yet, is that true :wacko: Whatever, I will definitely enjoy it with only Kim Soo Hyun, my lovely Sam Dong :wub: Lee Hwon is "a cold, hearted person" ---> it means we can see a Joseon's version of the young Kang Jin oppa in Will It Snow For Christmas, right??? Haha, cant wait...

Dying to know more news about this drama ^^

Guest dramaok

On Dramabeand it's said it's a fantasy sageuk...fantasy, really?

i think it's used loosely. probably fantasy because it's completely fictional.

the king and the queen and all the princes are completely fictional.

the era is unknown and it's just all made up, hence, fictional historical, as opposed to, historical or fusion historical.

it doesn't mean we're gonna have weird smoke puffing out of wings or anything, i don't think.

anyways i'm still holding out hope that Han Ga In might somehow drop this project :ph34r:

but nevertheless the story is beautiful hope they make it good!

the company entertainment art services, that makes props from dramas and movies made these for Moon that Embraces the Sun. they are balls played inside the palace. i guess we'll see the princes running around playing ball. woohoo! :wub:

img7253e.jpg

the company is the same company that made the Geumdeungjisa container for SKKS:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9097/47373600.jpg

oh the good old days.

Guest Lily_Rose

@Luna 179

It the shooting started on 10th November...how is tit possible Han Ga In has not been confirmed yet? when will we know for sure who's the female lead? I've not read anywhere about this not confirmation...

It the shooting started on 10th November...how is tit poccible Han Ga In has not been confirmed yet? when will we know for sure who's the female lead? I've nor read anywhere about this not confirmation...

I believed sometime around last month, I read the news about Han Ga In's comeback film after 7 years away, and she will appear in a movie named ‘Introduction to Architecture’, co-starring with Uhm Tae Woong. As I remember, the news said filming for the movie would start in December ---> so if she really accept the role of the drama, it means that she will film both movie and drama, at the same time ---> is it possible for the filming condition??? I doubt it ^^

And yes, the shooting started on 10th of Nov, but I think it just went with the child casts ^^ My friend, who is a fan of Kim Soo Hyun, told me that there are still no news about shooting this drama in his schedule ^^

Guest rintintintin

Whoah, some TPM fans are jump on these new saeguk drama! Hi there guys! I couldn't wait for next year to see this drama so much, And i hope that I can watch the entire episode next year. :)

• 2 weeks later...

HAAAAAYY! FINALLY, it's OFFICIAL!!!!!

Actress Han Ga In is confirmed for the female lead in the new MBC drama ‘The Moon That Embraced The Sun’.

According to the information provided by her management company on the 28th, the drama will premier in January of next year, it will be produced by Panda Entertainment and directed by director Kim Do Hoon.

‘The Moon That Embraced The Sun’ is a fantasy period drama, which depicts the life of a woman (Yeon Woo) who is embroiled in a scandalous incident and she is forced to live the rest of her life as a shaman. By chance she is met with King, Lee Hwon (Kim Soo Hyun) and the two fall in love. The story will unfold as Yeon Woo recovers her lost memories and the three men in her life are revealed one by one.

The king, Lee Hwon will be played by actor Kim Soo Hyun and prince Yangmyungun will be played by actor Joo Won.

This is a first period drama for Han Ga In and the fans of the original novel agree that she is perfect for the role of the mysterious shaman.

The drama marks Han Ga In’s comeback after 1 year and 6 months since her last drama, ‘Bad Guy’. She accepted the role firstly because the original novel is a fantastic piece, secondly because is being directed by Kim Do Hoon PD who is also responsible for the drama ‘Royal Family’, and lastly because writer Jin Soo Wan is taking charge of the scripts.

Han Ga In’s management company J One Plus‘ rep stated, “The character Yeon Woo is destined to live an unfortunate life and unlike the average female roles, she promises to have a far more complex appeal. The most important factor for Han Ga In as she made her comeback on the small screen, was for her to take up on a role that would allow her to showcase a wide range of acting skills”.

The rep continued, “Han Ga In has made the decision to accept the role after a long consideration and she is very much looking forward for the drama as well. She is currently hard at work experimenting and practicing the role she’ll be playing to display a wider spectrum of her acting talents, so please look forward to her comeback”.

Source: MTStar News via Nate

Guest yeohweping

06241229.jpg

http://news.nate.com/view/20111206n07980

Joo Won drops out of MBC "The Moon that embraces the sun" due to his current drama, Ojakgyo brothers's extension

201112061102773360_1.jpg

http://news.nate.com/view/20111206n09510

Jung Il Woo takes over Joo Won's role in MBC "The Moon that embraces the sun"

Guest shelbyrafitri

Jung Il Woo Cast in New Drama Following “Flower Boy Ramyun Shop”

Jung Il Woo (“49 Days,” and “Flower Boy Ramyun Shop”) has been cast for the new MBC drama, “The Moon Embracing the Sun.” He will take the role that was recently offered to “Ojakyo Brother’s” Joo Won. Earlier today, a representative of MBC told local media “OSEN” that Jung Il Woo has indeed accepted the offer and is scheduled for a costume fitting today.

“The Moon Embracing the Sun” is a fantasy historical drama set in the Joseon Dynasty. Jung Il Woo will play the role of Prince Yang Myung, who is next in line for the throne and the half brother of Lee Won. “Dream High’s” Kim Soo Hyun will play Lee Hwon, the male lead, and “Bad Guy’s” Han Ga In will play his love interest Wol. The drama is written by Jung Eun Gwol, who also wrote last year’s “Sungkyunkwan Scandal,” starring JYJ’s YoochunPark Min YoungSong Joong Ki, and Yoo Ah In.

“The Moon Embracing the Sun” will premiere on MBC next January following Lee Ji Ah’s “Me Too, Flower!”

source : Soompi

Support this FB pages : The Moon Embracing The Sun.

Guest shelbyrafitri

64494d2130ec18f4fa73aa8a53a6143c_large.jpg

Kim Soo Hyun Cast for New Drama "The Moon Embracing the Sun"

Kim Soo Hyun has been cast for the new MBC drama, "The Moon Embracing Sun."

On November 11, it was announced that Kim Soo Hyun will play Lee Hwon, the male lead for "The Moon Embracing Sun," which is a historical fantasy drama. Kim Soo Hyun was apparently the number one pick ever since the drama's production team got together and after much contemplation, Kim Soo Hyun has accepted the offer.

"The Moon Embracing Sun" takes place in the Choseon era and is a romance between Lee Hwon, who is a king, and Wol, who is a female shaman. This drama is based on the novel written by Jung Eun Kwol, who also wrote "Sungkyunkwan Scandal."

Han Ga In has been cast as the female shaman, Wol. The forthcoming onscreen chemistry between Kim Soo Hyun and Han Ga In is already gathering much interest.

Earlier this year, Kim Soo Hyun successfully portrayed the role of Song Sam Dong in "Dream High" and received a lot of love due to his excellent acting skills. There are high expectations for Kim Soo Hyun because he will have to transform into a completely new character for "The Moon Embracing Sun."

Along with Kim Soo Hyun and Han Ga In, other notable stars have been cast for this drama, including Kim Yoo Jung, Yeo Jin Gu, Ji Jin Hee, Lee Min Ho, Seo Ji Hee as well as skilled child actors and actresses. "The Moon Embracing Sun" will succeed "Me Too, Flower" and will air in January of next year. 

source : soompi

omoomomomo Joo Won (NOOOOO!) but Jung Il Woo taking over (YAY!!!!!) I don't know who am I going to root on but can somebody please change the lead actress. i want a newbie or generally same age actress to play the lead. not an ageless actress!

omoomomomo Joo Won (NOOOOO!) but Jung Il Woo taking over (YAY!!!!!) I don't know who am I going to root on but can somebody please change the lead actress. i want a newbie or generally same age actress to play the lead. not an ageless actress!

Me too, before the news Han Ga In has confirmed her role in the drama came out, I somehow hoped that she would drop this project, just focus on her comeback movie. But then... :mellow: a little bit disappointed, though I love her very much.

Hope that the age gap between the lead actress and actors wont make too much *anti* effect :mellow: