P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Guest HavenInMuse

So I just got a puppy, and I have another dog of 2 years in the house. Whenever I scold the puppy (for peeing, biting, etc), the big one thinks I'm yelling at him, and he gets all anxious, depressed, or runs away scared, and once, defensive and growling. When I try to teach the pup to sit or heel, and he doesn't and do something bad,and i say "no!" the other one gets confused cuz he was doing the right thing. I was wondering how I can communicate with both dogs? Do I start using their names before a command? Not sure what to do right now, or if this is common and they'll understand with time? I can train one separately, but the scolding thing is still a problem with the big dog.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest musicsmylife

I have to Chihuahua's 1 is 3lbs and the other is about 8 lbs...Thinking about getting an english bulldog...does anyone know if these breeds tend to get along good?

A little late and you probably won't see this soon haha. I have two mix chihuahua 5-7lb and we adopted a pit bull she's 52lbs now and one year old and well they can "live" together, sometimes but rarely play with each other, always have to watch out when we give them treats because the chihuahuas thinks they can handle the pit bull.... So I assume it's alright to have an english bull dog with chihuahua's. Just really depends on there personality honestly. My chihuahua is really protective of her things and gets jealous a lot so she doesn't get a long super well with the pit bull but the pit bull is super friendly haha but gets a bit overexcited leading to too much aggression. So bottom line it doesn't matter what breed they are just as long as their personalities don't clash.

So I just got a puppy, and I have another dog of 2 years in the house. Whenever I scold the puppy (for peeing, biting, etc), the big one thinks I'm yelling at him, and he gets all anxious, depressed, or runs away scared, and once, defensive and growling. When I try to teach the pup to sit or heel, and he doesn't and do something bad,and i say "no!" the other one gets confused cuz he was doing the right thing. I was wondering how I can communicate with both dogs? Do I start using their names before a command? Not sure what to do right now, or if this is common and they'll understand with time? I can train one separately, but the scolding thing is still a problem with the big dog.

I would try the name before the command so they know who you're directing it at. Idk if this is relevant but when we just got two chihuahuas and when there would be an accident in the house we couldn't tell who did it so we would take both dogs near the area and say "who did this?" in like a loud angry-ish tone and the one that did it would quickly walk away. Eventually they both started walking away...so we had to ask them individually with their names like "karrot did you do this?" and we would know who did it.

*quoted image*

Here's my love, my life, my everything!! Haha :)

My kitten loves to suck on my fingers... Should I be worried? She'll usually search for our fingers around 3-4 times a day but I don't want to turn it into a habit. Will she grow out of it?

And also, she doesn't seem to like the food we're giving her. She used to like them, but she suddenly lost interest? I don't know what food she likes, and it's making me worry. sometimes she doesn't eat her food and she will disturb us when we're eating ours..If only I could speak to her in cat lingo and understand what she wants..:(

Adorable kitten!

Don't offer your finger for her to suck, or it'll be a habit that'll be hard to break. Get her a chewy toy (that's safe for kittens) or distract her with string/ribbons etc when she attempts to suck your finger. Tell her firmly no when she tries. Hopefully she gets the message.

As for food, is it too hard? Not suitable for kittens? They don't eat a lot at one go, so distribute the food into small meals about 4-5 times a day and always provide fresh water. Also check with a vet to see if he or she has any recommendations/suggestions.

^ Aziraphale, is that your cat in your icon? it's sooo CUTE ♥ ♥ ♥ I have a seven month kitty who looks like that with the same gray fur with white chest, except she has a smaller frame and smaller eyes

One problem is that she has longer fur at the tail/back and sometimes when she poos, it gets stuck to her fur and consequently, all over the floor. Is there a way to fix this problem? Or do I have to trim her fur? Thanks!

^ Aziraphale, is that your cat in your icon? it's sooo CUTE ♥ ♥ ♥ I have a seven month kitty who looks like that with the same gray fur with white chest, except she has a smaller frame and smaller eyes

One problem is that she has longer fur at the tail/back and sometimes when she poos, it gets stuck to her fur and consequently, all over the floor. Is there a way to fix this problem? Or do I have to trim her fur? Thanks!

Thanks! :D Here's a clearer pic that I posted in the 20+ section. If you're 20+, do share your kitty's pics in that thread.

As for your kitty, I suggest taking her to a pet groomer and explain your problem. The groomer could help trim the fur and make it look nice as well. Sometimes DIY at home doesn't always work out well, plus the bum is a sensitive area for animals and I think it's better to leave it to an expert the first time round. You could ask the groomer to teach you how to trim the fur so that you can do it yourself when it grows out, or you can just make it a regular grooming session.

<3 I have a turtle, and have had her for almost ten years I believe... IDK I lost count.

Anyways, I wanna put live fish on her tank but idk if that's a good idea....

I saw my friend had a turtle with live fish in it and the turtle ate them... o__o 

• 1 month later...
Guest kounichi

401060_10150672937910830_716985829_12104558_1505970729_n-1.jpg

This is my bf and i's new puppy! His name is Gintaro, and ohhmyygoodnesss...when he's asleep he's super asleep, and when he's up hes up all night -_-

Guest liveasyou-please

I really really like any animals. I love cats, I wanted one, but my mum is allergic... i_i I envy who actually own a cat! There's one I took secretly who was in the streets without an owner, my mum started to get red eyes and her allergic sypmtoms, so I have to give him to my aunt who lives in another city.

How do you pet owners deal with your pets old age and then death? My chihuahua is about 10 this year and she's still happy and healthy. But I am super close with her, shes like my own daughter. I really don't know what I'll do if she suddenly passes. So my question is..how do you guys detach yourself from your pets who would soon pass away soon?

How do you pet owners deal with your pets old age and then death? My chihuahua is about 10 this year and she's still happy and healthy. But I am super close with her, shes like my own daughter. I really don't know what I'll do if she suddenly passes. So my question is..how do you guys detach yourself from your pets who would soon pass away soon?

My old dog didn't die of old age .. it died around 2 yrs old... it was freaking attacked by a neighbour's larger dog (THE F'ERS I swear I wanted to fcking rage and bash the shiz outta their dog, but that's another story). But grief is grief.

How I dealt with it, was cry my eyes out for days on end. I would just cry and be so miserable because it hurt so much. I loved him so much. Make sure you do see it for the last time, because if not you'll regret it so much. Another thing I did to cope and move on is a put together a box of things related to my dog, wrote a letter to my and then buried it in a safe spot. I go visit it on some of my dog's death anniversary or month-versary. It's a place of comfort for me. It's a bit better now, it's been almost 2 years and while I do miss it often, I guess, since my family got new dogs who are wonderful and who I've grown to love, it did get easier to deal with. But what I did learn is, no matter what, I need dogs in my life. They are so loving and loyal that they brighten my day endlessly. They taught me unconditional love and I don't know where I would be (emotionally and mentally) without them. No joke.

Oh and I personally wouldn't try to detach myself, because honestly, that might just a little selfish. It might be easier to let go, but I cannot imagine withholding any of my love for my pets just to be able to let go easier. If I knew they're going to go soon, I'd hug them everyday and just give them all the attention they want and need. Then I'll deal with the grieving and sadness later. But that's just me.

Why would you do that? Do you detach yourself from your loved ones (parents, siblings, close friends) because in the end we all die? No, you don't. So shower your chihuahua with all the love you can give, and when she does pass on, you'll be comforted in the thought that when she was alive, you loved her as much as you could. Don't waste time doing something so pointless when you can spend the effort ensuring your chihuahua's remaining years are wonderful ones.

how do you guys cut your dogs' toenails?

ive never cut my dogs' toenails despite having them for so long since their claws would naturally file down by walking/running/playing outside.

but since im at school i cant do that, and my mom doesnt want to.

i tried cutting their nails when i was back home, but to no avail; they wouldnt let me. i took hours sitting and lying on the ground and trying to play with them to get them tired so i could just flip them right over.

also, i dont know how to do it without cutting too deep. im afraid of hurting them/causing them to bleed a lot.

recently one of them went to the vet and had his nails cut--the vet asst did it so fast! but idk if $20 is worth it, plus my dogs richard simmons themselves when they see strangers (like the vet) too close to them (which is charged another $10 to clean up).

how do you guys cut your dogs' toenails?

ive never cut my dogs' toenails despite having them for so long since their claws would naturally file down by walking/running/playing outside.

but since im at school i cant do that, and my mom doesnt want to.

i tried cutting their nails when i was back home, but to no avail; they wouldnt let me. i took hours sitting and lying on the ground and trying to play with them to get them tired so i could just flip them right over.

also, i dont know how to do it without cutting too deep. im afraid of hurting them/causing them to bleed a lot.

recently one of them went to the vet and had his nails cut--the vet asst did it so fast! but idk if $20 is worth it, plus my dogs richard simmons themselves when they see strangers (like the vet) too close to them (which is charged another $10 to clean up).

Don't do it if you aren't confident. Dogs keep their nails in check naturally, so I wouldn't worry too much. Once in a while, you can take your dogs to a pet groomer who will do the job, and spruce up your dogs nicely in the process.

we used to take them to the vet, because only the first IW we had let my dad file his nails. He didn't need them cut as often because he was walked on the road. The mixed breed was no problem--tiny nails. Our two Labs weren't bad--but we've since had dogs that hate it...only one that would let us do anything..the rest hated it. Our current one is taken care of by our mobile vet, who started coming here to take care of our older one that we lost before we got the puppy. She had nail trauma left over from the psycho that had her before us (the creep would get mad at her if she didn't 'cooperate', and throw the nail cutters at her), and even though she wasn't crazy about it, she wasn't too bad with him...probably way less nervous (even though she loved going in the car, and seeing everyone at the vet's office--she didn't like what was done to her there)too. The puppy we have now loves him-but she hates her nails being cut--so she sometimes gets a little worked up. I haven't been able to do much with her nail-wise--I can hold her paws, and even put the nail cutters on them--but that's about it.

to us, it's worth having him come to the house just to do her nails.

ReckLESS_-- losing my animals has been the worst times of my life. Some of them have been my own (identified with me instead of being a 'family' animal), also like my own kid or sibling. It affects me every day. You never get over it, you just learn to deal with it better. You can't 'prepare yourself' (like some people have said to me, including past vets), and you definitely shouldn't detach yourself...it's hurtful and your child won't understand if you do-it doesn't work. like Aziraphale says...you just take care of them, and love them. TRY not to worry until you have to--it's never easy--then you just handle things the best way you can as they happen.

Guest parkjimin

This is the first time one of my cats behaves likes this so I'm very worried. Since he was small, I sometimes found him ate geckos. Earlier, I saw the head of a mouse on my house. It may be my neighbours' cats but I'm quite positive it is my cat that ate the rat. I don't know what to do with him since I think this is getting more serious.

This is the first time one of my cats behaves likes this so I'm very worried. Since he was small, I sometimes found him ate geckos. Earlier, I saw the head of a mouse on my house. It may be my neighbours' cats but I'm quite positive it is my cat that ate the rat. I don't know what to do with him since I think this is getting more serious.

Cats like to hunt lizards and stuff, so it's not uncommon for your cat to be doing this. However, make sure that what your kitty is hunting and killing is not poisonous. If you notice your cat is feeling unwell, take it to the vet asap.

Guest parkjimin

Cats like to hunt lizards and stuff, so it's not uncommon for your cat to be doing this. However, make sure that what your kitty is hunting and killing is not poisonous. If you notice your cat is feeling unwell, take it to the vet asap.

I saw cats catching and killing rats before but for them to actually eat one is my first. I see him as a cute little kitty so I guess this is a bit too much for me ^_^ Thank you for your reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived