Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you know that SoompiTV now has "We Got Married," "Dad! Where Are We Going?" and "Infinity Challenge" with subtitles? ^^v

BEAUTY & FASHION FORUM RULES

endeavorendeavor Posts: 4,011Administrator

ADMIN

edited February 2012 in beauty & fashion
AND SUGGESTIONS
R U L E S & G U I D E L I N E S

1. ALL GENERAL SOOMPI FORUM RULES APPLY
Forget? Not Sure? - Click Here to Remind Yourself

2. NO REFERRAL CODES OR LINKS ARE ALLOWED.
A referral code or link is a type of url or string of numbers and/or letters that is unique to their screen name. Gaining hits from the code will earn the poster a type of reward and enroll the one who clicks on the code in the same program. This is called a referral system and is prohibited on Soompi.

3. NO MATERIAL THAT PROMOTES EXTREMELY UNHEALTHY LIFESTYLES
Any type of media or link that promotes extreme and psychologically damaging lifestyles are not allowed. An example of this would be spreading thinspiration or anorexia community links in the forum. Violation of this rule will be taken seriously.

*We honestly do not want to warn members for actions which can simply be avoided by reading the rules*

S U G G E S T I O N S

We're trying to collect feedbacks on how we can improve the beauty and fashion section of Soompi to help serve you. Please let us know if you have any thoughts/ideas that you would like to see happen here. It can be anything related to beauty and fashion or even to us as moderators. I guess to get you going with ideas, is there anything that's being done now that you would like to see do differently? Is there something that's not being done now that you would like to see?

Thanks for your co-operation and for making Soompi the best forum on the web,
pandriuma, PDURRR, and &endeavor.

Replies

• KeayaraKeayara fizzerific AustraliaPosts: 653Member
    edited November 2011
    I think sub forums are a pretty good idea.

Possibly also a neater way for reviews to be organized.

Improving the stickies in the forum, some very large threads aren't stickied yet.

Quicker response on mods banning spambots, although it's pretty good already, faster could always be better.

Move the ulzzang thread to celebrities, all the other different races of ulzzang threads are in the "other celebrities" section, I don't see why korean ulzzangs are the exception.

Edit:
    Also the obvious nasofix advertising one. =/
    dearrhannahsouris3fabrications.
  • endeavorendeavor Posts: 4,011Administrator

ADMIN

xoxo_sdbib wrote on 15 November 2011 - 03:14 AM:

I think that it would be good to have separate sections within 'beauty & fashion', such as cosmetics, plastic surgery/body modification, clothing, hair, etc. This way, it'd be easier to find threads as opposed to sorting through threads that you're not interested in. And maybe sticky some of the main threads, such as the Nail Thread, Where to Find thread, and Creations thread. These are just some ideas based on lurking here for a while (:
    Keayara wrote on 15 November 2011 - 05:04 PM:

I think sub forums are a pretty good idea.

Possibly also a neater way for reviews to be organized.

Improving the stickies in the forum, some very large threads aren't stickied yet.

Quicker response on mods banning spambots, although it's pretty good already, faster could always be better.

Move the ulzzang thread to celebrities, all the other different races of ulzzang threads are in the "other celebrities" section, I don't see why korean ulzzangs are the exception.

Edit:
    Also the obvious nasofix advertising one. =/

Thanks for your replies! :)

The reason why there's no sub-forums and probably won't be any anytime soon is because B&F is really as simple as it sound. The whole idea of the forum is pretty much just based on those two things. Sub-forums wouldn't make that much a difference as it does in other sections of the forum like Selling & Trading. But we will keep this in mind for potential updates to this section though!

As for the pinned threads, we're really reluctant to pin all the popular threads like the ones you've mentioned because looking at it in a purely aesthetic way if we were to pin the amount of popular threads on B&F it would feel so clustered at the top of the forum. Maybe if you have some suggestions on which ones you think should be pinned and which one you don't think needs to be pinned then we can probably work around that and change it.

Another thing we're looking into is possibly doing beauty swaps within Soompi (like the ones you see on MakeupAlley), let us know if you guys have any ideas on that? Or if it's something you would even like to do (also let us know if you think it's a lame idea too)?

Lastly on the spamming/advertising stuff, it's really hard for us to know when there's a spammer because their post(s) are not flagged automatically and sometimes we're not on the forums at the time to see the spammer. So a great way to help us ban these spammers quickly is to use the report button at the bottom of their post. That way if pandriuma or I am not on the forums other moderators will see the flagged post and take of it quickly. The neg. rep does not do anything so please report it instead.
  • KeayaraKeayara fizzerific AustraliaPosts: 653Member
    &endeavor. wrote on 16 November 2011 - 01:01 PM:

Another thing we're looking into is possibly doing beauty swaps within Soompi (like the ones you see on MakeupAlley), let us know if you guys have any ideas on that? Or if it's something you would even like to do (also let us know if you think it's a lame idea too)?

I think that's a great idea, but requires a lot of implementation and regulation. I mean it'd really suck if some girls were dissapointed because they had scammers for their partner. :(
    myelizacitra
  • pandriumapandriuma ColoradoPosts: 2,401Friend of Soompi

IDOL

edited November 2011
    Keayara wrote on 15 November 2011 - 11:00 PM:

I think that's a great idea, but requires a lot of implementation and regulation. I mean it'd really suck if some girls were dissapointed because they had scammers for their partner. :(

Beauty swapping definitely requires a lot of regulation and we have taken that into consideration. Plans as of now, we're trying to bring up the idea of swaps strictly beauty related and to have it in this forum. As opposed to Selling&Trading, because I've looked in the request thread in S&T and there are quite a few members requesting beauty items; plus it is harder to find beauty-related items in the S&T forum with all the shops.

It's all dependent on your input, regular or new B&F visitors! :) Good idea or not? Also, please keep the feedback coming on how we can improve the Beauty&Fashion forum :D

blog;
    makeup & below average life
    ★shop
  • nailbunnynailbunny YARRR USPosts: 1,318Member

IDOL

For some reason, I thought there was a thread that listed and linked many of the major topics. It would take work to maintain, but something like that would be nice instead of having so many pinned topics.

I don't know what the MUA beauty swap is, but just those two words sounds like something I'd be interested in!
    fabrications.
  • iPhetsiPhets Perth, AustraliaPosts: 4,235Member
    Mmm... I don't like the subforums idea. The B&F forum isn't very active IMO and I like to have it as a whole because I can see most of the new threads/new posts on the first page. An idea for those who want to look at specific threads/specific topics is to perhaps implement tags for posts so one could click on a tag, and posts with the tag will show up?

@nailbunny's idea is good too.

The beauty swap sounds like a great idea - I am assuming those who buy products, and find that they didn't like it can swap for something else? It would save some people some money and it seems fun too :). About the scamming thing, its definitely troublesome but users can maybe accumulate points for having done successful swaps. Also users can be required to have proof of postage, etc. Maybe the rules that can apply to this can be brought over from the S&T forum..
  • monkeyinabarrelmonkeyinabarrel Posts: 1,371Member

IDOL

edited November 2011
    nailbunny wrote on 18 November 2011 - 01:44 AM:

For some reason, I thought there was a thread that listed and linked many of the major topics. It would take work to maintain, but something like that would be nice instead of having so many pinned topics.

I don't know what the MUA beauty swap is, but just those two words sounds like something I'd be interested in!

Hmm how about like a FAQ? I just went through the past few pages of B&F noticed a few 'acne scars' threads, growing more hair, etc... that always have the same answers (health & fitness needs this also 75% threads created are about weight loss/muscle slimming, usually same answers)

It would also list the major threads

Mmm... I don't like the subforums idea. The B&F forum isn't very active IMO and I like to have it as a whole because I can see most of the new threads/new posts on the first page. An idea for those who want to look at specific threads/specific topics is to perhaps implement tags for posts so one could click on a tag, and posts with the tag will show up?

if it were set up like soompi forums main page with + - on each section, problem solved though it'll only list a certin amount of threads before you have to go into it to find older threads

Certain sub forums don't need to display as many threads as others because of less supply (ie: plastic surgery and tutorials/DIY should display 3 new reply/topics each compared to a B& F general discussion that should display 8 or so)
    ^o.O I'm not too sure if you understood what I meant?

I don't have a specific preference for topics in this forum and I just click into whatever seems interesting so it would be nice to keep it this way with everything in one page o.O..
    Especially for people with help threads, or just random topics in general, it helps them get views and answers too.

Clicking into each subforum to check if there was any new topics/replies then coming out again would be too troublesome =/
  • monkeyinabarrelmonkeyinabarrel Posts: 1,371Member

IDOL

^The only sub forum I would want to see is a tutorial/DIY, those thread gets easily lost and those soompiers put a lot of effort into it.
    Plus I can easily look back at all the others. Other than that I don't mind the clutterness
    dearrhannah
    edited November 2011
    ^ Oh okay. I guess there are enough users interested in those topics, and as you mentioned they require more effort from the posters so they deserve it I suppose.

Oh yeah, and I just thought of something else. Could we possibly discourage those threads where people ask you to vote for them for some competition?
  • Ali.Ali. Posts: 216Member
    I agree with those who say we should have sub forums. Sometimes the old post gets so lost in the list, it becomes so hard to find.
    I suggest you have sub forums pinned to the top but also have ALL threads show up when you click on b&f. That way those who choose to find threads in specific forums can search by clicking on one of the sub forum. While For those who likes to just read the most popular threads on the main page can still find it on the main forum. I hope that makes sense.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, DIY section would be nice. I like DIY projects and seeing what other people make.

Another thing i would like to see is an updated list deticated to reliable, trusted websites of Asian fashion, beauty, and shopping agents. I do a lot of shopping but am new to this whole Asian thing so I broswe around soompi a lot to look for reliable websites. I am sure a lot of people do. To have one sub cat for that would be nice since so many suggest it and it can get lost in a really active forum.
                                   Surveyaboutme-1.jpg?t=1294120692                            
                                 [:My Shop .:] [.: Survey.:] [ .:Status.:]                           
  • katesavillkatesavill Posts: 33Banned
    i agree a DIY section would be great!
  • 9hellokitty9hellokitty Posts: 80Member
    Agreeing with DIY! Will add more fun to the thread and can share more fashion and beauty DIY secrets and tips!
  • MysticalBeingMysticalBeing Posts: 130Member
    I think you guys should split the "what did you buy today" thread, because all I see is women clothing so I'd like to see one for men, unless there's a lack of soompiers that are men... 

• endeavorendeavor Posts: 4,011Administrator

ADMIN

For those asking for a DIY/Tutorial sub-forum, I received the word that there won't be a sub-forum for that any time soon. This is because there's just not enough DIY/Tutorial threads now that would require Soompi to add another sub-forum. Please don't let this discourage you from posting DIY/Tutorials because I personally enjoy reading them. And think of it in this way....the more DIY/Tutorials thread we have up the better chances of us opening the sub-forum! :)

MysticalBeing wrote on 10 December 2011 - 08:48 PM:

I think you guys should split the "what did you buy today" thread, because all I see is women clothing so I'd like to see one for men, unless there's a lack of soompiers that are men... 

It's the latter one of your reasons. There's just a lack of male Soompier that post in the thread but we do have some frequent male Soompiers that post there like PDURR. I encourage you to post your recent buys there too!
  • tadukhipatadukhipa Posts: 50Member
    follow fashion blogs and diy blogs. just recycle your old clothes and by that i mean make new ones out of them ;)
  • crapcrap Posts: 220Member
    It would definitely be nice to have the B&F forum to be somewhat protected, especially with the Samples/Freebies thread. Annually, when codes and gift cards (Sephora, VS, etc.) are posted up, it's taken by a lot of lurkers. I understand that it's a free for all, but it'd seem nice to protect that specific thread.
    just because =)
    xoxo_sdbib
  • HICandy!HICandy! Posts: 3New Member
    I think that we should have our own topic!
  • jojonparkijonjojonparkijon Posts: 8New Member
    Agreeing with DIY! Will add more fun to the thread and can share more fashion and beauty DIY secrets and tips!!