Tea Tree Oil Makes skin worse?

Guest racheeh

Guest racheeh

is tea tree oil causing more breakouts?
I bought some thursday plantation tea tree oil products (face wash and tea tree oil gel) and have been using it recently because benzoyl peroxide just made my skin itchy and red. 

Ive only been using it a couple days so far, but ive noticed that the pimples i had before (just some small red lumps under skin) turned into whiteheads after i use the TTO products. 

But also, ive noticed that the areas where i had pimples got maybe 3-4 more smaller pimples after i started using TTO. I'm not sure if it means that it is working or not? I don't really know how tea tree oil works. Am i supposed to get a couple of pimples before it completely clears up?

Also does tea tree dry out skin?

Guest panda.rider

I had the same problem with Tea Tree Oil. It gave me massive red lumps which turned into whiteheads. I stopped using it and it cleared up.

I think the tea tree tries to purge your skin and get all the dirt and bacteria out of skin.

Guest polkadotlace

Tea tree oil does dry out skin and should always be diluted before you use it because it's very strong. (much better than benzoyl peroxide though, you shouldn't have that anywhere near your skin) I don't know why your pimples have turned into whiteheads though, because it works for me. I only dab a tiny amount using a q-tip.

Guest lindaaanguyen

I had the same problem, I think it helps get out ALL the dirt and oil which will leave clear clean skin in the end? idk LOL

Guest sunstori

I tried a bottle of Tea Tree Oil blemish lotion stuff from the Body Shop and I developed heaps of tiny red bumps on my face. I ended up having to see a doctor about it because it wouldn't go away, even though I stopped using it. :mellow:

Guest Sannyson

I bought some thursday plantation tea tree oil products (face wash and tea tree oil gel) and have been using it recently because benzoyl peroxide just made my skin itchy and red. 

Ive only been using it a couple days so far, but ive noticed that the pimples i had before (just some small red lumps under skin) turned into whiteheads after i use the TTO products. 

But also, ive noticed that the areas where i had pimples got maybe 3-4 more smaller pimples after i started using TTO. I'm not sure if it means that it is working or not? I don't really know how tea tree oil works. Am i supposed to get a couple of pimples before it completely clears up?

Also does tea tree dry out skin?

This is actually pretty normal. You're going through a purging process which means the pimples are moving to the surface, so existing red spots are turning to white heads, dirt and oil trapped under the skin are becoming red spots and will eventually turn into white heads.

I'd say keep it up for a week. If the skin doesn't get better or even gets worse, discontinue. You could be allergic or sensitive to some of the ingredients.

And tea tree oil does dry out skin so make sure you are keeping yourself moisturized.

Tea tree oil shouldn't give you pimples. Tea tree oil is an astringent and antibacterial ingredient, so it actually should help clarify breakouts and calm the skin.

The reaction maybe be down to another ingredient in the product you using, perhaps a perfume.

And it maybe that the concertrate of the oil is not very effective.

Also, your skin type will really important. Do you know what type you are?

Sometimes if you have dry/combination skin using something quite astringent on your skin, can dry it out and sometimes it reacts in creating more oil, thus you are more likely breakout. Having a balanced skin routine is quite important. :)

I had to learn this stuff to work at Lush ;)

whaa? Ive been using tea tree oil to treat my acne for about a year now and I hasn't caused me to break out at all, its been keeping it at bay actually. Maybe your skin just does react very nicely with it so stop trying to force it on your skin

Guest sweetfantasy09

tea tree oil doesn't work for me even though it's known for its natural anti-bacterial property and etc... but i have tried a few tea tree oil thingy out there for my acne and basically, it just didn't work for me. so, whenever i heard of any other products out there that promised to clear off acne with tea tree oil as the ingredient, i won't be bother to try it.

Guest apatheticskittle

tea tree oil is amazing, you just have to give your skin time to get used to it because TTO is really strong. you should dilute it at first, maybe mixing a tiny bit of it with moisturizer or with olive oil, maybe even plain water. It took my skin 3 weeks to get used to TTO and my pimples did get worse at first (im guessing b/c of purging, like everyone said above) but once your skin gets used to it, TTO works like a charm

Guest rachelle07

I used Tea Tree Oil lotion from The Body Shop and it made me break out. It's also very drying on my skin. Now, I stopped using it and I didn't experience break outs.

Guest turquoise_and_takoyaki

Tea tree oil works differently on everybody. In my personal experience, I was very desperate to get rid of acne and I have read about TTO on the internet and its positive effect on acne so I went and bought one from the Body Shop and tried their TTO formula and the TTO mask. Unfortunately after a few tries my skin got highly aggravated and my acne got worse. I think it was the so called 'purging' stage but it actually gave me cystic acne so I stopped using it. It took me 2 years to get rid of my cystic acne along with thousands of dollars on acne products, dermatologist consultations and professional facials for acne skin. In the end I have decided to never go back to tea tree oil again and just assume that I am allergic to it. Some people have negative and positive results, yours is probably at the purging stage but it could be worse. Try stopping it and see how it goes.

• 9 months later...
Guest supercao

^ 65inches is right. Your skin's probably getting irritated by one or a few of the added ingredients to Body Shop's TTO... I've used TTO for my every-now-and-then pimples and it works wonders. When you're purchasing a bottle, make sure it's 100% pure oil! What I've been using.. Sorry the picture is so big! 20120812140740.jpg
PS. Don't get it anywhere near your eyes, even if it's diluted. It hurts. :'|

Guest littlesoompishop

I use tea tree oil mixed in with my face wash every night. Tea tree oil is a bit strong for me so I dilute during my washing process. If it's really irritating your skin, I guess it can be an allergic reaction. TTO dries out your skin a bit due to drying out oils which causes bacteria spread and growth. Use moisturizer after and you'll be ok =]

• 5 weeks later...
Guest KTran1430291864

I use a tea tree shampoo and conditioner. When I wash my hair, the shampoo would trickle down my face, making it feel really minty and fresh but it really makes my scalp and skin dry and irritated. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest happygoluckyph

I've tried Body Shop's Tea Tree product and, unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone :( I don't get pimples often, but when I do, they're angry huge. Even if I only get one, it's embarrassingly noticeable. I decided to give their product a try but only on affected areas. The product ended up aggravating the skin area more and I'd get smaller angry red bumps around my pimple.

I use Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Tea-Tree Oil soap mixed with rose oil, lavender oil, and water (mostly water) on my face, and it works wonderfully. Since TTO is so strong, it has to be heavily diluted, else it'll strip your skin and make it crazy dry. As with any new facial product, at first my skin broke out because it was purging, but after a few days, I could see my skin clearing up really well.

Archived