[Drama 2011] Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror 광개토태왕

Guest asadal

Guest farhah1986

Just my personal opinion. I don't like Hangeul. Turkey adopted the Latin alphabet. Korea should have done that too. I find Hangeul hard to read. Maybe Sejong made the country more literate than it would have been without Hangeul but from what I understand Hanja was still used by all the nobles, the government officials etc after Hangeul was invented right up until mid-20th century. Korea only made Hangeul the national alphabet after the Japanese occupation ended.

If the purpose was to improve literacy then adopting the Latin alphabet would have done the trick. But Koreans are very wedded to Hangeul now and would not dream of changing the system to the Latin alphabet. Inventing a phonetic alphabet is not really that hard. Anyone can invent one in less than a day if they put their mind to it. 

But I guess this has very little to do with the drama. I just think that Gwanggaeto is the only king that deserves the title "dae wang". Inventing a hard-to-read phonetic alphabet (when there was no need to do that, it's reinventing the wheel all over again) compared to conquering a great swathe of territory ...

About who is great between Sejong and Gwanggaeto is not up to us to indicate that because both of them living in a different era...I don't think its right to belittle another great king just because we didn't like he did or vice versa.This is my opinion....For me both of them was a great king in their own way.From what you've been written here it seems you didn't watch yet drama The Great King Sejong from KBS...from there you can see why he's been depicted as a Great king...I  don't think its an easy job to invent a written hangul.

Well, it seems that Go Mu always appears in time to rescue Damdeok.  Thus it's likely that it's him again.  The army is definitely on Damdeok's side because Damdeok's men are happy to see them.

After watching ep 44, it could be Seolji shooting the arrow at Guksang.  She was at the rooftop then.  It can't be Go Un as he was still outside the palace when Fengba stopped him.

As for Yeon Salta, he is against his father (Dobu?) siding with Guksang to kill Damdeok.  His father is not even worry that Salta is fighting against his soldiers and getting injured or killed.  As Salta is royal to Damdeok and the royal family, he will surrender his father to Damdeok.  He knows his father has done wrong, very wrong indeed, thus he will not hate Damdeok if his father is executed.  But he would rather kill his father instead.  Most likely, it may be his father pleading with Salta to kill him rather than to be captured and executed by Damdeok.

I'm quite curious about Go Un, as to why and how he goes against Damdeok.

Watching ep 45 preview makes me feel good too.  I like how pathetic Guksang has become.

Guksang will never kill his children.  Go Un is probably trying to stop Guksang from escaping or trying to surrender his father to Damdeok so that Guksang won't be punished so severely, thus causing a commotion when Guksang injured him.

Doyoung has wanted to enter Goguryeo as fast as she could but was stopped by the soldiers.  Wonder why they didn't recognise her in the first place.  When asked who she was, Doyoung couldn't reveal her identity.  How was she going to reveal - PM's daughter or the crown prince's wife?  Besides, on which side the soldiers were with?  She might put herself in great danger.

She has to find a way in, to protect Damdeok and to prevent her father from causing more harm to the royal family which he already did.  I hope she won't disappear because of the shame and sins Guksang has incurred.  

As for Guksang, he is already more than half defeated in ep 45.  I am not surprise that he kills himself sitting on the throne before or when Damdeok finds him.  He would rather kill himself than let Damdeok does it because of his pride.  He wants to die as a 'king'.

I find it weird that a marriage can take place for a couple of 2 generations gap.  Yak Yeon is afterall Damdeok's aunt, and they have blood relationship.  Personally, I don't like this kind of marriage.  Damdeok would likely respect Yak Yeon as his aunt than being his wife. 

I still want Damdeok to be with Doyoung eventually.  Thus I really hope Doyoung won't disappear just like that.

As for Guksang, will he die in ep 45?  There's no way he can escape anymore as the palace has been taken over by Damdeok's men.  All the generals siding Guksang have to be executed or punished severely for being traitors to the King and Queen.

I think you are right about Yeon Salta...he is loyal to Damdeok and royal family so likely he will surrender his dad as he know very well that his dad commit a great sin toward the royal family.Just like you I want Damdeok with Doyoung no matter what happen and I don't like the idea that Damdeok marry again.I really hope they won't repeat the story that the first born gone missing like in Jumong and Geunchogo.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest honzbear

The story is starting to drag again. I don't like the direction the drama is going. Not liking any of the stories: the Doyoung story, the Damjoo story, and the Go Un and Houyan story.

Want to see more of Cheonggun.

I'm not belittling Sejong; I just don't think Hangeul is a good alphabet. Compared to English it's hard to read. If they wanted an easier alphabet they should have just adopted Latin characters or created something similar - written linearly and not in two directions and squashing everything into a box shape. It's not as if Korea was so cut off from others that they weren't aware of the existence of this alphabet at the time. What's the point in creating a new alphabet that's hard to read and write and looks like Chinese characters? He had a good idea trying to simplify the characters but the execution wasn't as good. So I don't think Sejong should be called "great". He improved the practice of agriculture in Korea, but I don't think his actions in making Confucianism more deeply rooted in Korea were a good thing. So overall, he was OK to good, but not great.

I don't think Geunchogo should be called "great" either. The term should be applied very sparingly. I think a king who conquers a lot of territory and expands the boundaries of the nation considerably can be considered great. Like Genghis Khan or Gwanggaeto. A king can do several good innovative things that benefit his country but that's not a great king. A good king perhaps, but not great.

Guest katherinekang

My opinion is that King Sejong is called Tae Wang, not because he 'invented' Hangeul. It is probably the trials and tributions he went through in promoting new laws in his time. I think u know that the die-hard old ministers can't accept new changes, be it alphabet, rain-gauge or such.

Similarly, King Gwanggaeto has the same problems, such as using war to defend his country, suchly the ministers can't accept war as the final decision. The Guksang and his followers merely wish to have peace (which is not wrong, just interpreted in their funny ways). Damdeok's father is a weakling, he doesn't war with his neighbors, so his ministers have a very easy daily life...go to court; report this and that; end of court; go home and have a few drinks and; call it a day.

We must understand that different kings have different ways of settling problems. I suppose they are all called Tae Wang because they are wang. Tae or no Tae, we really have to understand ancient history. Some of us call this king Tae Wang and some of us calll this king a scum. Way of Life!

Anyway, I really enjoy and like all comments made.

Except Guksang is a fictional construction. Damdeok didn't really have any problem with the ministers. Which allowed him to conquer territories. His father wasn't the weakling this drama portrays here either. Goguryeo went into self imposed isolation for decades because they depleted their resources fighting Murong Chui and Geunchogo. Not because they were weak. In fact, his father strengthened royal authority. Which later helped Damdeok rule.

Guest katherinekang

Sori about the remarks about the present King. I was actually talking and dreaming about the drama. It has practically gone into my blood.

To me, the title 'the Great' which was given to the king after his name, means that a ruler was not afraid to fight in the battlefield together with his soldiers, in order to defeat and overthrow his enemies out of his territory.  He then rebuilt and retained its province gravely weaken by its enemies.  In order to defend itself from future invasions, and even the possible destruction of its state, he was inclined to avoid conflict with its peninsular neighbours.  He attacked and conquered his enemies' territory when they tried to attack its state again and again.  He strenghtened its state and his army during his reign.  He commanded respect for his intelligence and capability as a warrior as well as a king, and was not afraid to die for his country and his people.  Besides, he has compassion for his people too.

As such, I would consider King Gwanggaeto as the Great King. 

On the contrary, no offence to history and the king, I wouldn't consider King Sejong as the Great King but rather a respected king.  Although he had introduced technological advances during his reign, Jang Yeong Sil should be credited for the inventions.  King Sejong was significantly remembered for introducing the written language of hangul.  And like other good kings, he has compassion for his people.

Well, this is just my definition and opinion on The Great King,  As I don't know much about history, I may be wrong.  But this is what I have always understood about the kings.

As for Go Un (Gao Yun in history), he became enemy against Damdeok when his father was defeated.  "You (Damdeok) are my father's enemy thus I cannot be your friend."  - as per Go Un's statement on KBS site.  

In history, it was Feng Ba who saw the wisdom and tolerance of Gao Yun.  It's no wonder in the drama, Fengba keeps pestering Go Un to join the Later Yan.  In history, Gao Yun was a descendant of the royal house of Goguryeo, whose ancestors were captured by Former Yan. Gao Yun was adopted into the Later Yan imperial house.  Gao Yun would eventually become the king.  However, he was assassinated, not killed by Damdeok. 

In the drama, when Guksang was defeated and killed, Go Un has to leave or flee Goguryeo.  That's when he decides to join the Later Yan to go against Damdeok.  Go Un will be adopted by Emperor Yong Soo.  Somehow, Go Un's storyline and his family are somewhat fictitious although the writer has tried to bring his character as closely to the real Gao Yun. 

I wonder what will happen to Doyoung when Guksang is killed because the punishment is always extended to his entire family.

As for Dol Bisu who rarely appeared in ep 28 - 30 and went missing from ep 31 onwards, I understand the reason for his complete disappearance now.  Kim Jung Hyun who played the role of Dol Bisu has joined MBC daily drama, Dangerous Women as the lead actor, which is being aired since 10 October 2011.  So I guess he was written off from his role as Bisu.  Well, I'm gonna miss him.

And for Jo An who played Damjoo, she also has a lead role for OCN friday drama, Ten, to be broadcasted on 18 November 2011.  I wonder if she is also going to be written off too unless she is allowed to act in both dramas at the same time since she doesn't have much airtime in this show.  I hope she won't disappear just like Bisu.  Likely she is killed by Yongbo or Yong Soo when they realised she is a spy for Damdeok.

With actors calling it quit, the poor writer has to change her scripts over and over again.  However, the writer, Jo Myung Joo is not well-received by most viewers.  Some condemn her of her poor writing materials.  Looking at her past projects, I've only watched One Mum and Three Dads.  I wouldn't say it's bad but it's only so-so.  My sister who watched Autum Shower, commented that it was bad. 

So far, King Gwanggaeto is consider good in my opinion; I like the overall actors and actresses in it.  It's a must-follow drama for me.  Because of this drama, I become interested in historical show now, to the extend of reading up on the kings and their history

I wonder what will happen to Doyoung when Guksang is killed because the punishment is always extended to his entire family.

As for Dol Bisu who rarely appeared in ep 28 - 30 and went missing from ep 31 onwards, I understand the reason for his complete disappearance now.  Kim Jung Hyun who played the role of Dol Bisu has joined MBC daily drama, Dangerous Women as the lead actor, which is being aired since 10 October 2011.  So I guess he was written off from his role as Bisu.  Well, I'm gonna miss him.

So far, King Gwanggaeto is consider good in my opinion; I like the overall actors and actresses in it.  It's a must-follow drama for me.  Because of this drama, I become interested in historical show now, to the extend of reading up on the kings and their history

Bonds, that's what i thought about the character Dol Bisu that the actor is in a different drama so they wrote off his character. is it final that KGTG going to be up to 60 episodes?

Guest farhah1986

As for Go Un (Gao Yun in history), he became enemy against Damdeok when his father was defeated.  "You (Damdeok) are my father's enemy thus I cannot be your friend."  - as per Go Un's statement on KBS site.  

In history, it was Feng Ba who saw the wisdom and tolerance of Gao Yun.  It's no wonder in the drama, Fengba keeps pestering Go Un to join the Later Yan.  In history, Gao Yun was a descendant of the royal house of Goguryeo, whose ancestors were captured by Former Yan. Gao Yun was adopted into the Later Yan imperial house.  Gao Yun would eventually become the king.  However, he was assassinated, not killed by Damdeok. 

In the drama, when Guksang was defeated and killed, Go Un has to leave or flee Goguryeo.  That's when he decides to join the Later Yan to go against Damdeok.  Go Un will be adopted by Emperor Yong Soo.  Somehow, Go Un's storyline and his family are somewhat fictitious although the writer has tried to bring his character as closely to the real Gao Yun. 

I guess Go Un sudden change is not because of his hate for Damdeok...but rather because of his sense of pride...He maybe think that how could a son of a traitor live freely in Gogoryo without being punish so he decide to leave Gogoryo and while he's leaving Fengba approach him to work with him and eventually he become an enemy for Damdeok and Gogoryo..After all Guksang is the one who start the rebellion while for Yeon Salta is different,his father although also a traitor but only become a follower for Guksang...I guess this incident just strengthen Yeon Salta loyalty for the royal family to clean his father's sin toward the royal family....

Right now Doyoung position is in question....will the court minister let her enter the court while his father is a traitor or asking Damdeok to dismiss her that cause Go Un spiteful toward Damdeok? Although like Go Un,they are Guksang children, I don't think Doyoung should be punish because of his father action...She's already become part of the royal family and pregnant with Damdeok child and Damdeok know these...I just hoping that Doyoung and Damdeok won't separate for long.

Bonds,  that's what i thought about the character Dol Bisu that the actor is in a different drama so they wrote off his character. is it final that KGTG going to be up to 60 episodes?

Bisu is one important soldier to Damdeok.  He has always followed Damdeok wherever he goes.  They should have him killed instead if they want to write him off.  Kim Jung Hyun as Bisu is not likely to come back and continue with his role as the other drama Dangerous Women will definitely take much of his time.

When Jang Shin Young as Yeon Hwa, Damdeok supposed love interest, called it quit in the early stage of the drama, they should have her completely written off, instead of having her around for a mere 2-3 minutes of screentime, just because of the poison flute or musical instrument that Yongbo had given Damdeok as a gift.  She came and gone just like that, which I thought was kind of weird.

Maybe for a period drama, it's hard to retake the scene again later on thus the disappearing act, I think, hoping that the viewers will forget them eventually.  However, it's hard to forget Bisu as Damdeok's faithful follower.

I don't know how many episodes KGTG has.  But looking at the current situation, 60 episodes may not be enough to complete the drama.  Damdeok and Go Un are not the kings yet.  The Later Yan, the Malgal and the Baekje have not been defeated too.  Damdeok has not rebuilt and strengthen Goguryeo.  Unless more actors have called it quit, I doubt the drama will end abruptly.  I don't think it will happen because viewers will condemn the drama and everyone involved.  It's insulting to the title and the king himself.

So far the rating has been good and constant although it has not peaked yet.  The writers have better come out with a better script for the 2nd half of the drama, especially Jo Myung Joo if she wants to be recognised for her hard work.

I guess Go Un sudden change is not because of his hate for Damdeok...but rather because of his sense of pride...He maybe think that how could a son of a traitor live freely in Gogoryo without being punish so he decide to leave Gogoryo and while he's leaving Fengba approach him to work with him and eventually he become an enemy for Damdeok and Gogoryo..After all Guksang is the one who start the rebellion while for Yeon Salta is different,his father although also a traitor but only become a follower for Guksang...I guess this incident just strengthen Yeon Salta loyalty for the royal family to clean his father's sin toward the royal family....

Right now Doyoung position is in question....will the court minister let her enter the court while his father is a traitor or asking Damdeok to dismiss her that cause Go Un spiteful toward Damdeok? Although like Go Un,they are Guksang children, I don't think Doyoung should be punish because of his father action...She's already become part of the royal family and pregnant with Damdeok child and Damdeok know these...I just hoping that Doyoung and Damdeok won't separate for long.

Go Un may be displeased with Damdeok when Guksang is killed, whether by Damdeok or Guksang commits suicide.  He is already upset with Damdeok when Damdeok stopped searching for the missing Doyoung.  Like Guksang, Go Un may be punished and executed for his father's sins, ordered by the imperial ministers and generals.  That's probably why he has to flee Goguryeo

With his family completely wipe out, a sense of loss, confusion and hatred overtake him.  Even though Guksang is a bad PM, he is afterall Go Un's father.  Having to witness his father's death, and probably thinking that it's Damdeok who has killed Guksang, his friendship with Damdeok ends and Damdeok becomes his enemy instead.  And with Fengba keeps pestering him to join the Later Yan, Go Un may then agree to his request.

Yeon Salta and Go Un have always been faithful to the royal family.  Salta is Damdeok's strong man and follower while Go Un is a spy for Damdeok and the imperial house.  Unfortunately, both have evil fathers who want to overthrow all the royal family.  The only difference is that Salta chooses to surrender his father and continues to stay with Damdeok as a loyal follower while Go Un chooses to go against him.  If Go Un doesn't choose this route to join the Later Yan, he and Damdeok can continue with their friendship and Go Un is definitely a great help to Damdeok. 

Nothing will happen to Salta as he is on Damdeok's side and has also fought against his father.

As for Doyoung, she may be equally punished and executed for Guksang's sins even if Damdeok objects to it.  I wonder how is Damdeok going to rescue her and reunite with her.  I also hope that Damdeok will not forsake her because of what Guksang has done.  She is afterall a victim to Guksang's evil plot. 

I doubt Doyoung will be dethroned as a princess and become an outcast since she is carrying Damdeok's child, unless she has a miscarriage.  I really hope that Doyoung is safe.  But I doubt she will reunite with Damdeok in the next few episodes.  I guess the writer will make her life so tragic in order to obtain sympathy for her.  Just don't make her disappear for long, please. 

Poor Doyoung, how is she going to take it when Go Un goes against Damdeok?  She probably has a tragic ending which I hope not.

Guest honzbear

Bonds, I don't think the royal family will seek the punishment of the daughter and the son because if they did they will look very vindictive in the drama and I don't think the writers would want that. 

I think it IS Ko Mu who rescues Damdeok. (There is a scene near the end of Ep. 44 where an army is about to enter the castle's gates. It looks like Ko Mu's army.)

I think it's going to be difficult for the writers to convince us that Go Un has a good reason for turning against Damdeok.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Personally I think the writers have dug themselves into a hole.

I think Doyoung has to be outside of Damdeok's life because their relationship will be awkward after all that has happened - Damdeok's mother shot with an arrow due to Guksang's treasonous actions, and Damdeok wanting to kill her father (and most likely succeeding).

So I think that's why the writers make her wander off in Episode 44. According to the KBS charts she ends up marrying Asin. We saw a hint that this might happen earlier when Asin kept looking at her as if he were in love.

Maybe she runs into the Baekje man that brought her there and he persuades her to go to Baekje, or she faints or something and is found by the Baekje man and is taken to Baekje. There she ends up marrying Asin and eventually she gives birth there and dies some time afterward. (This is a bit like Jumong/Kingdom of the Wind.) After a while, Damdeok discovers his long lost son, Jangsoo. By then Damdeok has married his aunt and then Seolji. I hope what I've predicted doesn't happen but there is that KBS chart showing a line between Asin and Doyoung.

I think perhaps Go Un is seriously injured in next week's story and he is taken to the Houyans' country by Feng Ba. I don't see how he would go there voluntarily. Once there, he might decide to stay in Houyan because he realizes he has little future in Goguryeo after what his father did.

I still don't buy these storylines involving Go Un and Doyoung but this is the best that I can come up with.

---

Another scenario that I've thought of to explain Go Un going to Houyan is: There is a confrontation between Guksang and someone on Damdeok's side. Go Un comes in on the confrontation and because he is his father's son, he can't stop himself defending Guksang. There is a fight and Go Un kills the Goguryeo person and is injured himself. Guksang is seen grieving over him in the preview. Because trusting relations between Guksang and Houyan have been established already by Guksang's first visit there, Guksang asks Fengba to take his son to Houyan and look after him there. Fengba agrees to do so. There is a confrontation between Damdeok and Guksang and Guksang is killed. While there in Houyan, Go Un realizes that he will be punished for killing a Goguryeo soldier and saving his father and decides to stay in Houyan. Gradually, he assimilates himself into Houyan society becoming a loyal citizen and even stopping an attempt on the emperor's life by one of his sons. Go Un is rewarded by becoming the adopted son of the emperor. Eventually he becomes emperor of Houyan. Damdeok becomes king of Goguryeo soon after the rebellion ends because his father decides to hand over the crown early (we already saw he wanted to do that in an earlier episode).

Apparently Go Un marries Damjoo in the mean time.

So they are king and queen of Houyan. Gwanggaeto tries to establish friendly relations with Go Un but something happens and they go to war. I don't know what this is but it has to be something quite bad to cause them to fight each other. This is what Kim Seung Soo referred to in "Happy Together" when he says he becomes king and he and Gwanggaeto have a big fight.

It is still sad to see these two become enemies. I don't want to see that. And Go Un being married to Damdeok's sister complicates things. Also he's Doyoung's (Gwanggaeto's wife) brother.

Guest honzbear

Maybe for a period drama, it's hard to retake the scene again later on  thus the disappearing act, I think, hoping that the viewers will forget  them eventually.  However, it's hard to forget Bisu as Damdeok's  faithful follower.

I agree, they should have come up with some plausible explanation for Dol Bisu disappearing like that: either he is killed or he has to return home or something. His sudden disappearance after we have gotten used to seeing him as part of Cheongun is puzzling to many viewers. Maybe the writers couldn't think of a good story to explain his going away and just left it like this, hoping the viewers wouldn't notice.

As for Yeon Hwa, she wasn't really in the drama long enough for the viewers to remember her. It was just one scene so I think that's why they didn't bother tying up this loose end. I wonder why the actress decided to drop herself from the drama. That role is a really good one for any actress.

Guest farhah1986

As for Doyoung, she may be equally punished and executed for Guksang's sins even if Damdeok objects to it.  I wonder how is Damdeok going to rescue her and reunite with her.  I also hope that Damdeok will not forsake her because of what Guksang has done.  She is afterall a victim to Guksang's evil plot. 

I doubt Doyoung will be dethroned as a princess and become an outcast since she is carrying Damdeok's child, unless she has a miscarriage.  I really hope that Doyoung is safe.  But I doubt she will reunite with Damdeok in the next few episodes.  I guess the writer will make her life so tragic in order to obtain sympathy for her.  Just don't make her disappear for long, please. 

Poor Doyoung, how is she going to take it when Go Un goes against Damdeok?  She probably has a tragic ending which I hope not.

Rather than seeing Doyoung marry Asin, I rather  see her hiding herself and raise her child while watching Damdeok from afar....but I hope during that time Damdeok won't marry other person...It will be interesting to see who gonna play Damdeok's son here.

Rather than seeing Doyoung marry Asin, I rather  see her hiding herself and raise her child while watching Damdeok from afar....but I hope during that time Damdeok won't marry other person...It will be interesting to see who gonna play Damdeok's son here.

i agree with you farhah1986 about Doyoung. i would rather see her go through hardships, living poorly while raising her son than being married to Asin. maybe just like Jumong's first wife.

Honzbear, wow... interesting analysis.

I hope that they don't make life too complicated on Doyoung's story.  Although Asin would have fallen for Doyoung, I doubt she will marry him even if Asin were to save her in the later episodes.  She wouldn't allow Damdeok's son to call Asin 'dad', right?  Besides, she would want to stay by Damdeok's side, to look after him from afar, even if she can't reunite with him or be with him.  I still hope that their reunion won't drag too long.

In ep 44, Doyoung didn't wander away.  She simply walked away when she was not able to reveald her identity to the officer in charge when she was trying to enter Goguryeo.  With the palace in a chaotic situation, there is no way she will disappear just like that.  She has Damdeok, her father and the royal family to worry about.  No matter how, she will try to enter Goguryeo.  

Doyoung looked shocked when she saw the troop entering Goguryeo.  The flags which the troop were carrying didn't belong to Goguryeo army.  I may be wrong but it could be from the Later Yan.  In ep 43, the Baekje man who safely took Doyoung back to Goguryeo, mentioned about Yong Bo.  It looks like Guksang might have collaterated with the Later Yan to defeat the royal family.  But why has Guksang become so defeated in ep 45, I don't know.  Unless the Later Yan betrays him.  Somehow, I feel relief that Damdeok will defeat Guksang in ep 45.  Bye bye, Guksang.

Actually, I like Guksang even though he is a bad PM.  If the King is not weak, Guksang would not have the power to do whatever he likes.  Guksang would not extend his greed to become a king himself.  I believe he was a good PM before the enemies attacked Goguryeo.  Afterall he has groomed his children well, to be good and kind-hearted people.  Doyoung once mentioned to the Queen and Damjoo  that her father had always reminded her that whatever she had - her clothings, food and lodging, they were from the taxpayers' money.  Thus she had been advised to be thankful to them and help them when they need it.  Unfortunately Guksang's greed overtakes his goodness and concious.  He also destroys his children's lives.  Because of him, Doyoung has to live as a sinner while Go Un goes against his own province and fellow men.

As for Go Un, it's likely he's injured by his father.  There is no one else besides Go Un losing concious and lying on the floor.  Guksang may have injured him when Go Un tries to make his father surrender to Damdeok.  Guksang would rather die than admit defeat.  Not surprise that Guksang may commit suicide in front of Damdeok or before Damdeok's arrival, on the throne he has long for.  That's when Go Un thinks that Damdeok is the one kiling his father instead.

Fengba may have found the unconcious Go Un and take him back to the Later Yan.  With Guksang and Doyoung's demises, he may be influenced to join the Later Yan.

With Jo An having another drama in her hand, I wonder if the writers will kill of her character as Damjoo.  If they intend to, then Damjoo is likely to be killed by the Later Yan when they find out that she is a secret spy to Damdeok.  Go Un may reveal her secret mission since he is no longer on Damdeok's side too.  Or he may save her by marrying her when the Later Yan wants to have her killed.

But If Jo An continues to stay in this drama, then Go Un may marry her in the later episodes.  Damjoo will still be killed when her secret mission is revealed.

With Guksang's evil plot to overthrow the royal family, I hope Doyoung is given an immunity as Damdeok's wife.  Besides, she is carrying his child.  Some generals may vote to have her punished and lived in exile.  Only Damdeok's men know that Doyoung is a kind-hearted lady who also helped Damdeok, unlike Guksang.

I do not understand why Jang Shin Young has decided to quit KGTG although she cited the reason as stress.  I find that the women in here don't have much screentime, unlike most guys who have the fighting scenes.  Maybe it's because they are always with Damdeok.  Only Yakyeon and Seolji have the fighting scenes too.  Maybe Jang Shin Young didn't like the custom clothings or she felt that she has no chemistry with Lee Tae Gon.  In one of the past interview, she was joking and laughing about something and Lee Tae Gon turned his head away.  Actually, I am glad that Oh Ji Eun has taken over her role.  And I like Doyoung's clothings.  Personally, I feel that Jang Shin Young's acting is not good after watching The Road Home.  If Jang Shin Young has stayed in KGTG, I may not have enjoyed this drama as much as now. 

As for Dol Bisu, the writers are wrong if they think that they can just write of his character just like that.  In fact, alot of viewers are asking for him and wonder why his sudden disappearance.  Yeo Seokgae is always with him and now he's alone with other Damdeok's men.

Guest honzbear

In one of the past interview, she was joking and laughing about something and Lee Tae Gon turned his head away.

Bonds, have you got a link to this interview?

I think if Jang Shin Young had stayed on there wouldn't have been any storyline about the PM's daughter and Damdeok. I think that would have been better.

As for Go Un (Gao Yun in history), he became enemy against Damdeok when  his father was defeated.  "You (Damdeok) are my father's enemy thus I  cannot be your friend."  - as per Go Un's statement on KBS site. 

I missed this posting earlier. This must be the reason Go Un turns against Damdeok.

Doyoung looked shocked when she saw the troop entering Goguryeo.  The  flags which the troop were carrying didn't belong to Goguryeo army.  I  may be wrong but it could be from the Later Yan.  In ep 43, the Baekje  man who safely took Doyoung back to Goguryeo, mentioned about Yong  Bo.  It looks like Guksang might have collaterated with the Later Yan to  defeat the royal family.  But why has Guksang become so defeated in ep  45, I don't know.  Unless the Later Yan betrays him.  Somehow, I feel  relief that Damdeok will defeat Guksang in ep 45.  Bye bye, Guksang.

It's possible what you say that it is Houyan entering the gates of the castle through prearrangement with Guksang. I don't know who fires the arrow and is about to enter the courtyard and why Guksang looks surprised.

Maybe a fight ensues between Later Yan and Goguryeo inside the fortress, and some Goguryeo people are taken hostage including Go Un. Goguryeo finally defeats Houyan and drives them outside of Guknaeseong. The PM is killed.

How horrible for Yeon Salta to have to face the fact that his father committed treason and may have to be executed. I hope his father is killed before he is captured so that Yeon Salta doesn't have to go through life knowing his father was  executed. I think the only punishment possible for the rebelling ministers is execution which means there will be many executions, unless some of them manage to flee to Houyan.

It must be awful for Yeon Salta to have to stay on as one of Damdeok's men after his father is caught/executed/commits suicide/dies in the fighting. He must be conflicted. Go Un takes the other route and decides to cut off ties with Damdeok.

Perhaps it's partly Damdeok's fault that all of this happens. He didn't tell the king about the PM's actions in hiding the discovery of Fengba's nameplate from the court. If the king had known about this, he would have stopped trusting the PM, and perhaps been on the lookout for possible treason. Maybe Damdeok didn't fully trust his father not to fight Houyan over the attempted assassination business. In that case, I don't understand why he dresses down the PM for concealing the discovery when he himself keeps this information from the king. It seems hypocritical to me.

Actually, I like Guksang even though he is a bad PM.  If the King is not  weak, Guksang would not have the power to do whatever he  likes.  Guksang would not extend his greed to become a king himself.  I  believe he was a good PM before the enemies attacked Goguryeo.  Afterall  he has groomed his children well, to be good and kind-hearted  people.  Doyoung once mentioned to the Queen and Damjoo  that her father  had always reminded her that whatever she had - her clothings, food and  lodging, they were from the taxpayers' money.  Thus she had been  advised to be thankful to them and help them when they need  it.  Unfortunately Guksang's greed overtakes his goodness and  concious.  He also destroys his children's future directly.  Because of  him, Doyoung has to live as a sinner while Go Un goes against his own  province and fellow men.

I wonder why Guksang tries so hard to get rid of the royal family. His grandchild would have become king if he had waited long enough. I think he wanted his son to become king instead of Damdeok. He said something to Go Un in an earlier episode about something to do with this, that as a future leader he has to behave a certain way or something like that. Go Un just takes it in his stride and doesn't seem to show surprise that his father considers him to be a potential king of Goguryeo. 

As for Go Un, it's likely he's injured by his father.  There is no one  else besides Go Un losing concious and lying on the floor.  Guksang may  have injured him when Go Un tries to make his father surrender to  Damdeok.  Guksang would rather die than admit defeat.  Not surprise that  Guksang may commit suicide in front of Damdeok or before Damdeok's  arrival, on the throne he has long for.  That's when Go Un thinks that  Damdeok is the one kiling his father instead.

That's a highly plausible scenario. I think Guksang would rather die by his own hand than be caught and executed. The humiliation of being executed in front of the people he once presided over as prime minister would be too great. And if Guksang thinks he's killed his own son, it makes the suicide scenario even more probable. And dying on the throne is a fitting place for him.

In ep 44, Doyoung didn't wander away.  She simply walked away when she  was not able to reveald her identity to the officer in charge when she  was trying to enter Goguryeo.  With the palace in a chaotic situation,  there is no way she will disappear just like that.  She has Damdeok, her  father and the royal family to worry about.  No matter how, she will  try to enter Goguryeo.

I meant she walks away or wanders off for a little distance to gather her thoughts. I agree that she wouldn't decide to leave Goguryeo forever. Because she can't gain entry to the palace without revealing her identity which she doesn't want to do, perhaps she decides she will go to a nearby place and watch what happens from there. And then something happens to her there.

Or maybe a fight breaks out between Goguryeo and Houyan and she is caught up in the fighting and she starts to flee. She is rescued by a Baekje man who whisks her off to Baekje. I am trying to think of a scenario where she ends up in Baekje. I don't think she would go there voluntarily on her own.

I guess we will find out tomorrow night what happens.

I am kind of sick of Guksang's family. It seems to be a drama about Guksang's family more than about anyone else. I wish they didn't have Doyoung marrying Damdeok. Or that she wasn't the PM's daughter.  I wish Damdeok and Go Un weren't friends. Or Go Un was not related to the PM. I just want the drama to focus on other people and other plots and not so much on the Guksang family.

I think the Doyoung story is corny if it ends up being like Jumong, and I find it hard to believe that Go Un goes over to Houyan, stays there and becomes a Houyan emperor. 

Let's see some wars between Goguryeo and other nations/tribes, and plots and intrigues by his enemies and the clever way Damdeok extricates himself and his nation from them. Cheongun is less interesting now that Dol Bisu is gone.

There are 16 more episodes left if it's a 60-episode drama and 36 episodes if it's 80 episodes long. I think I prefer just 16 more episodes. The story will go a lot faster if there are only 16 episodes left. It can drag if there are 36 episodes left.

Honzbear, here is the link. My apology if I have misunderstood Lee Tae Gon's gesture.

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu

Lee Tae Gon seems close to Kim Jung Hwa aka Seolji and Lee In Hye aka Yakyeon. They looks comfortable with each other during the photo takings and interviews.

There was no mentioning in the drama who Yeon Hwa really was. So, it's everyone's guessing whether she was the PM's daugher, or the general's daughter as she could enter the palace freely.

However, I don't think there's any difference whether it's Jang Shin Young's role as Yeon Hwa or Oh Ji Eun's role as Doyoung. I feel that Yeon Hwa was likely the PM's daughter. The writers would not be able to change the script too drastically. It would be weird if she had appeared as the PM's daughter and disappeared all the sudden; then came along another PM's daughter, Doyoung. Thus, in order for Doyoung's existence to come into play without any difficulty, as Damdeok's love interest as well as PM's daughter, the PD might have decided to write off Yeon Hwa completely, all except the poison flute or instrument scene when she met up with Damdeok.

If Yeon Hwa was one of the general's daughter, then most likely her role would be boring to a certain extend. This could lead to Jang Shin Young's decision to call it quit. She probably felt that her role as Yeon Hwa was not challenging enough, unlike Kim Jung Hwa and Lee In Hye who have distinctive roles as warrior and fighter.

I actually feel that Jang Shin Young has missed the opportunity to act with Lee Tae Gon who is a very good, very popular and very handsome actor. Any actress would be so excited to act with him, especially as his love-interest.

As for Yeon Salta, like Doyoung, he may feel guilty and lacks courage to face Damdeok, after what his father has done. But Damdeok will comfort him and assure him that Yeon Salta is different from his father and he won't hold grudges against him. And if Yeon Salta wants to make up for his father's sin, he should fight along with Damdeok against the enemies and invaders out of Goguryeo.

I have a feeling that Go Un may have lost his memory when he is injured by his father. Without knowing who he is, it's easier for Fengba to make up stories to him, telling him that his father is killed by Damdeok and to take revenge against him.

Damdeok knows that Guksang is against him as Crown Prince. That's why he takes precaution against him. But it didn't occur to him that Guksang would overthrow the King too. By then, it's too late.

Guksang wants to be a king himself, to an extend of not bothering that Doyoung will become a widow if Damdeok is killed. And he would want to hand the throne to Go Un. Doyoung's marriage to Damdeok is just a convenience sake for Guksang to plan his moves smoothly. If the plan backfires, he has an immunity as the King's in-law.

Guksang really hates Damdeok. Even with Doyoung's pregnancy, Guksang would still want Damdeok killed because Damdeok will become much stronger and powerful king which Guksang doesn't like because it means that he will lose power eventually. Guksang wants the whole kingdom and power to himself.

I don't want Doyoung to get injured, rescued by the Baekje men and ends up in Baekje once again. Because it will be harder for her to leave Baekje since Goguryeo is in chaos. I don't want the repetition of Jumong where the first wife has gone missing for years.

Doyoung is likely to feel guilty towards Damdeok and lacks the courage to face him. Even if she has decided to leave Damdeok, I hope that some kind-hearted souls will put her up, knowing who she is, inform Damdeok on her whereabout. I really want to see their reunion soon.

Guksang may have the main role to play in here so as to make the King looks weak. Because of him, Goguryeo is in a chaotic situation. Guksang's treason will cause Damdeok to lose his focus against his enemies because he has to protect his parents first. It's hard to fight against the invaders with the palace in chaos and his parents' lives at risk. That's when the invaders are able to launch their attacks on Goguryeo. It's only with Guksang's demise that Damdeok has to pick up the pieces as fast as he can, in order to focus on the invaders and fight them.

With the Queen's demise, the King is likely to hand over his throne to Damdeok.

KGTG may have 60 episodes instead of 80 which ends on Christmas Day. The 16 episodes should be enough to cover Damdeok defeating his enemies and conquering their provinces. However, it may also have an abrupt ending.

Guest honzbear

Honzbear, here is the link.  My apology if I have misunderstood Lee Tae Gon's gesture.

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu

Lee Tae Gon seems to be closed to Kim Jung Hwa aka Seolji and Lee In Hye aka Yakyeon.  They looks comfortable with each other during the photo takings and interviews.

Thanks for the link, bonds.

I think there was a lack of chemistry between them. They are more like brother and sister or just good friends than love interests.

Jang Shin Young acted in a drama with Lee Tae Gon before - in Winter Bird - so they already knew each other before meeting on the Gwanggaeto set.

Jang Shin Young gives off a different vibe to Oh Ji Eun. She seems more mature and Damdeok's equal than Oh Ji Eun. I think she would have been a good wife for Damdeok, someone highly supportive, and able to give wise counsel and good advice. She seems like someone less likely to get into trouble than Oh Ji Eun.

Oh Ji Eun is OK as his wife but I don't like the story of Doyoung and I don't want her to marry Asin. I want to see her either re-united with Damdeok or killed off. But it's unlikely the writers will kill her off before she gives birth. I really don't want to see the plot go down the same path as Jumong. When they introduced the Lady Yesoya character, it ruined Jumong for me.

The writers should close off each story after a few episodes. In Gwanggaeto they have a tendency to let the stories drag on for a long time without resolution. Only the Khitan, Dammang and Garaji stories ended timely.

My patience for Doyoung is wearing thin. She's been gone for how long? And when she makes it to the city gates, she wimps out at the last minute and doesn't reveal her identity. She wasted the Baekje man's efforts in bringing her all the way to Guknaeseong. What is the worst thing that can happen to her if she tells the guards her identity? That she is thrown into prison? Doubt it. Guksang would have protected her. Neither Damdeok or Guksang are interested in harming her. And it's likely now that the story will drag on for many more episodes.

Anyway, I am looking forward to tonight's episode to see which direction the drama goes.

Guest goatslayer1983

The flags which the troop were carrying didn't belong to Goguryeo army.  

It's three legged bird flags which is the symbol of Goguryeo

Guest honzbear

It's  three legged bird flags which is the symbol of Goguryeo

I was just to post something about this but you beat me to it. I watched Episode 44 again and the voice that says, "Let us in!" sounds like Ko Mu's voice. Also the helmets and suit of armor look like Goguryeo's. So I will revise my predictions.

I don't think Houyan and Goguryeo fight. Some Houyan people slip in including Fengba but there aren't that many of them. The PM's side will be routed out. At last Ko Mu does something useful. How did the PM not know to stop Ko Mu? He knew that he had to stop Haemowol and Damdeok but he didn't do anything about Ko Mu when he must have known Ko Mu would have learned about the revolt by now.

Archived