[KBS] Lee Tae Gon, Oh Ji Eun, Kim Seung Su, Lee In Hae, Kim Jung Hwa

Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror 광개토태왕

B1A4B0B3C5E4B4EBBFD5_BCF6B9ACC6F7BDBAC5CD_C3D6C1BE_0519.jpg

Title: 광개토태왕/Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror/Gwanggaeto the Great

Genre: Sageuk

Episodes: 50

Airing date: June 4-5, 2011

Official website: http://www.kbs.co.kr/drama/greatking/index.html

Writers: Jo Myung Joo (조명주) [Over the Rainbow 2002], Jang Gi Chang (장기창)

Director/PD: Kim Jong Sun (김종선) [Dae Jo Young 2011]

Synopsis: Story of Gwanggaeto the Great of Goguryeo, one of the only two in Korean history (other is Sejong the Great) to have been called "Great King". Brief biography about him

here.

Cast

sub14_01_11.jpg

Damdeok/Lee Tae Gon

19th ruler of Goguryeo, and son of Yi Ryun, brother of King Sosurim.

sub14_04_11.jpg

Do Young/Oh Ji Eun

Sister to Go Oun.

sub14_02_11.jpg

Go Oun/Kim Seung Su

Friend of Damdeok, elder brother to Do Young.

sub14_03_11.jpg

Mo Yong Bo/Im Ho

Emperor Hui's son, heir to the throne.

Damdeok's faction

sub14_05_11.jpg

Yeon Sal Ta/Hong Kyeong In

sub14_05_21.jpg

Yak Yeon/Lee In Hae

Goguryeo army

sub14_06_11.jpg

Go Mu/Kim Jin Tae

sub14_06_21.jpg

Go Chang/Nam Sung Jin

sub14_06_31.jpg

Mo Du Young/Lee Won Bal

sub14_06_41.jpg

Mo Du Ru/Im Dae Ho

*not pictured*

Ma Su/Go In Bum

Goguryeo royal house

sub14_09_11.jpg

Dam Mang/Jung Tae Woo

sub14_09_21.jpg

Yi Ryun/Song Yong Tae

sub14_09_31.jpg

Go Ya/Lee Bo Hee

sub14_09_41.jpg

Dam Joo/Jo Ahn

Malgals

sub14_10_11.jpg

Sul Do Ahn/Kim Gu Chul

sub14_10_21.jpg

Sul Ji/Kim Jung Hwa

Others

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for creating a new thread for this upcoming drama.  Although I'm not so keen in Sageuk, I'll be watching it because of Oh Ji Eun and Lee Tae Gon.  I'm glad that she's the lead actress for this drama.

However, Dramawiki states that it has 80 episodes.  Kindly confirm.  Thanks.

I hope Semifly will upload this drama for us, please...   Thank you in advance.  Appreciated.

Guest asadal

Thank you for creating a new thread for this upcoming drama.  Although I'm not so keen in Sageuk, I'll be watching it because of Oh Ji Eun and Lee Tae Gon.  I'm glad that she's the lead actress for this drama.

However, Dramawiki states that it has 80 episodes.  Kindly confirm.  Thanks.

I hope Semifly will upload this drama for us, please...   Thank you in advance.  Appreciated.

I love Oh Ji Eun too. Really excited for this, since it's set during the the height of Goguryeo.

The official homepage has 60 episodes listed. Don't know if others are using secondary sources for that info.

If semi-fly doesn't do it, I will ...but that also means I have to get up at 4 am and post the torrent links before people whine and swear at me for being late. Seriously though, is semi-fly getting paid for that? She should.

Guest farhah1986

I hope the rating will be better than King Geunchogo.

I'm fan for historical drama,so that I hope this drama get high ratings..Just looking at the preview it look great and so the quality.Is there any summary for each character?I watch The Legend(Bae Yong Jun) before.When the former include some myth,I wonder how this drama turn out.Usually drama about titular role will include from young age...how about this drama?

Guest PhoenixAngel

kim jung hwa!!!!!!!!! :D i like her the best :D but hers is supporting i hope they give her more air times it been so long since i last saw her :)

Farhah1986, happy to see you in here.  You have always posted a good discussion.  Hope to read more of your posts in here. 

Asadal, you are right.  KBS official site indicates that this drama has 60 episodes.

The preview looks interesting.  Hopefully, it does not have a dull and boring background.

Sela_07, I didn't watch King Geunchogo.  Usually, how is the rating like when it comes to historical drama?  Does it always have low rating?  I didn't watch Jumong but I understand it had a very high rating.

Asadal, I appreciate your kindness and generosity of wanting to share this drama with us by helping to upload it for us.  Thank you very much.  Nobody has the right to scold you if you are late for the uploading.  For without your kind effort or Semi-fly and even Devilsob and others, we won't be able to enjoy the dramas at all.

I don't know if Semi-fly is being paid to upload the dramas and everything.  But you are right, she deserves to be paid for her hard work and time.

With much appreciation, may God bless you, Semi-fly, Devilsob, and others who are so willing to share the dramas with us.

Since I'll be following this drama and being ignorant of history, I hope you guys are able to provide a brief summary of the episodes so that I can understand and appreciate it better.  Thank you in advance. 

Lastly, I hope WITH2 or Haru will provide us with the english substitles.  Thank you in advance.

Oops, I hope I'm not asking too much.

May 27, 2011

Stills of Lee Tae Gon in ‘Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror’ Unveiled

Writer: KBSi Jin Young Ju Resource: Bliss Media Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi - KBS Global

Actor Lee Tae Gon plays the protagonist named Dam Deok (King Gwanggaeto) in KBS 1TV’s historical drama “Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror (directed by Kim Jong Sun),” which will begin airing from June 4, and his stills taken on the set with the image of a great conqueror were unveiled for the first time.

981_2599_l.jpg

Lee Tae Gon, the protagonist of KBS 1TV’s “Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror”

On the unveiled stills, Lee Tae Gon revealed the realistic portrayal of a great king with his sword, bow, armor, and costume along with his facial expressions filled with emotion. In particular, with his 185 centimeter height and the fit physique of a former swimming trainer, he played the role of a king with the best appearance of a king among all those in Korean historical dramas. Actor Kim Seung Soo, who plays a friend of Dam Deok and strategist named Ko Won, said, “Lee Tae Gon’s appearance and personality are very close to the images that I have imagined about the great king Gwanggaeto. He will become a king who really looks like a king among actors who have played kings in dramas so far.” He gave unreserved praise to Lee Tae Gon. Lee Tae Gon will first appear in a historical drama by appearing in this drama and he has prepared his appearance and practiced very hard for this drama. He reportedly obtained confidence through the encouragement of other actors and staff members on the set.

981_2600_l.jpg

Lee Tae Gon said, “It is true that I have felt pressure about playing the greatest king in the history in a historical drama. I was really nervous when I began filming, but I could gradually feel confident with the help of other people around me, and now I am comfortable filming the drama.” “Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror,” which will be a follow-up drama to “The King of Legend,” will tell the story of the life of the 19th king of Goguryeo, Gwanggaeto, and his desire and passion towards conquering the China over a total of 80 episodes. This ambitious work will be produced by KBS, which has produced other notable works, to restore Korea's lost history and to seek the strategies for managing Korea in the 21st century. In particular, the most well-known historical drama producer Kim Jong Sun, who has produced popular dramas such as “King and Queen,” ”Emperor Wang Gun,” and “The King Dae Joyoung,” will direct this drama after a four-year break, and his directing has raised anticipation in and outside of the broadcasting industry.

Rubie, thanks for the great pictures and the news.  There are many pretty girls in this dramas but guys?  Hmmmm....   Haha...

Oh Ji Eun looks like Lee Young Ae in the photos.  She was probably still acting in Smile, Dong Hae when this drama started filming, that was why she was not in the earlier photo-taking, news and interviews.

I've just read up on the biography of King Gwanggaeto so as to understand this drama.  Gwanggaeto the Great, the nineteenth monarch of Goguryeo, was ascended to the throne at the early age of 18 until he died at the age of 39.  I feel that he died fairly young especially when he was a great man.  According to Wikipedia, he died of an unknown disease.

I'm confused.  Was The Legend in 2007, acted by Bae Yong Jun, related to this history?

Will this drama starts off from the time when King Gwanggaeto ascended to the throne at age 18 to his death or as a child?  Well, let's hope it's a good drama to watch.

Guest farhah1986

Wow,I just watch the first epiosde and I'm really impressed with this drama.Lee Tae Gun look so great as a future king.This drama look different from all historical drama that I've seen before.Form the first episode its look like Dam Deok is not a crown prince yet,Am I right?I'm looking forward to watch this drama and hopefully it keep getting better.

Semi-fly, Meebo and Catmobile, thank you for the links.  Appreciated.

Semi-fly, no HANrel (700MB) for Ep 2?

I'm downloading ep 1 now.  The drama has started off with the war already?  How's ep 1 and its rating?  Hope it has a good start.

What surprise me is that this king actually fought in the war!  I've always thought that kings were the pampered lots who stayed comfortably in the palace.  If there was a war, men, soldiers and even women were usually fought and sacrificed themselves to protect their king and the royal family first.

By the way, is Lee In Hae acts as a guy or a man in disguise - Yak Yeon?  Woman hardly fought in the war in the past.

Guest asadal

Opened with 11.5% TNmS rating.

What surprise me is that this king actually fought in the war!  I've always thought that kings were the pampered lots who stayed comfortably in the palace.  If there was a war, men, soldiers and even women were usually fought and sacrificed themselves to protect their king and the royal family first.

He was actually known to lead his armored calvary into battle (called gaemamusa - think cataphract). I'd imagine it was a great morale boost by having your king riding with you into battles.

By the way, is Lee In Hae acts as a guy or a man in disguise - Yak Yeon? I can hardly recall any woman fighting in the war.

She's the youngest daughter of general Go Mu, everybody acknowledges she's a woman. A fictional character but cool concept nonetheless.

Archived