Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you know that SoompiTV now has "We Got Married," "Dad! Where Are We Going?" and "Infinity Challenge" with subtitles? ^^v

The Acne thread (mods please close)

hot-chocolatehot-chocolate FrancePosts: 311Member

ROOKIE

edited February 2012 in beauty & fashion
A thread about acne and with no misconceptions
Introduction

Hey guys =)
hot-chocolate here!

Now recently I have watched videos about acne on YouTube and realized that some give away wrong information or have great misconceptions about the subject. As a girl who has suffered from 6-8 years of acne, I decided that maybe I can help people with their acne problems.
I am not a doctor but I do have experience with the disease and I am in a scientific lane and have studied a bit about different types of acne.
As I am quite close to my dermatologist, I have perfect guidance and I wouldn't be lying to you and encourage you to use products that won't help you. I'll be honest and tell you if what you're doing may help or not.

Me before at 14 years old with a lot of makeup such as foundation and eyeshadows(bad quality but I'll make sure to scan the photo to show you EVERYTHING)
acnebefore.jpg

And me now at 19 yearsold before and after makeup (with a little bit of makeup, thin layer of foundation and eyeliner).
beforeafter.jpg

Here's a first video about me and my YouTube account.

P.S. Subscribe to the thread =) I'll be updating this first post regularly, linking you to new videos and soon enough I will add basic acne tips and facts in here. Don't hesitate to ask questions and comment on my videos for further questions.

WATCH ME (LINK DOWN HERE)!

ThexxAcnexxChick's introduction on YouTube

Videos

My blog

Check me out on blogspot! For product reviews and more tips! Also get recent updates about my skin.
I might even put up makeup tutorial for acne.

http://thexxacnexxchick.blogspot.com/

Please do also check out this blog in which I collaborate in.

http://puritti.uninsomnia.org/

FACEBOOK PAGE:
http://facebook.com/TheAcneDiary

SKINCARE PRODUCT REVIEWS HERE!
Skincare product review PART 1
Skincare product review PART 2

Announcements

May 2 2001, 11:13 AM
I will not be able to upload for 2 weeks. Due to upcoming tests! But I will take time to answer all questions on YT and in here. Any suggestions are welcome!

May 3 2011, 21:31 PM
I have finally decided to put up a poll! Help me decide on what to put on my channel =)

August 31 2011, 12:08 PM

New videos are up! Check them out!
Also please check the blog updates if you are following them =)
Tell me if I should stop this thread.

Acne tips and facts

Where does acne come from?NEW!

Here's a quoted message that I used as a reply in a thread about back acne. This sums up almost all my knowledge about acne provenance.
Please forgive all typos, I was pretty frustrated by all the wrong information I was reading in that thread.

hot-chocolate wrote on 28 September 2011 - 12:19 PM:

Hi there! 8 years severe acne sufferer here =)

Acne (since the question was aksed) can be caused by several factors: such as hormones, genetics (YES IT IS POSSIBLE) and simply bad hygene and habits.
I'll start off with hormones. I'm going to try and give out through explanation for all 3 factors I gave out, this way a maximum of questions can be answered in an approximate way.

This message is specifically for the O.P. and jellykrystleee.

As we all know hormones are one of the most stereotypical causes of acne, at least that's what everyone says: "Meh, it's just your hormones, you'll get over it." This is partially true, but it is also false. Hormones and specifically testosterone (oh the male gonado hormone), do have great consequences on your skin's condition. But testosterone secretion is the one that regulates your sebum secretion (which is the natural oil you secrete to level the moisture grounds of your skin). Now before I head in the jungle and actually blurt out how testosterone works, I guess it is best to explain in general how hormone regulation works. Basically, in your body you have various types of hormones which all have their specific concentration/amount in the blood. With differents types of reactions in your body, and with the help of potential of action (let's just say neuro-messages), signals are sent out to secrete certain types of hormones that will either trigger other hormonal secretions (which in the medical field we call positive feed-back) or refrain/hold down others (negative feed-back). At a certain age we call puberty, these hormones enter an irregular phase due to changes of the body, but during the entrance to that phase imbalance may be present, hence the term hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalance is either a lack or excess of certains types of hormones that can bring out many types of symptoms and diseases. And one of those diseases is acne. A typical type of hormonal imbalance is excess of testosterone (and yes this is valid for men too, you also have a very specific maximum respective concentration level for testosterones). Since I said testosterone is responsible for sebum secretion, having excess male gonado hormones within your blood stream will cause an amplification of the amount of sebum your sebaceous glands will release. And we all know that very oily skin may give acne. I know that the back is rarely oily but you do have those glands almost everywhere on your body and the hormone mecanisme can trigger acne anywhere.

Genetics. Ah the less common factor or at least the one that everyone neglects. Acne can be transfered from generation to generation without seeing it. For example, I have severe cystic acne and mom never had nor did her parents but some of her brothers did. Now why is that? Genes. Yes this may all come from genes, but how do we explain the fact that it skips a generation? As we all know, genes are transmitted to us during our creation (not talking about embryon form but when our cells are being assembled to create the embryon), and during that time and further your many many genes will either be define as a dominant or recessive. Let me explain. For example, your mom has green eyes and your dad brown. You are born with brown eyes, this means that your dad's gene coding for brown eye is dominant and your mom's was recessive, hence why the brown eye caracter expressed itself among you when you were brought to life. The thing goes for acne, acne genes may have been transfered to you and is dominant for you and can be (or not, ask about their acne history) recessive for them and vice versa.

As for bad hygene, we all know the story. =) I guess this is pretty logical if you link normal testosterone activity to bad hygene, it'll just give you acne like popping daisies, but since we're all different this may vary from one person to another.

Now that I have said all of that, back to the back acne.
Before you can heal your back acne, you have to know the general source of your acne (whether it's on the back, face, chest or arms the all come from the same thing within your body). So I know this may sound bad, but go see a dermatologist. Because first of all, you can't self medicate yourself with home remedies (you can try but there are possible unflattering side effects) and from what I have read you apply benzoyl peroxide. I do hope it's prescribed because it isn't the safest medication out there and that would be considered as self-medication. It is best to get medical knowledge from a doctor than the internet since anyone can post what they want on the net.
If you are only left with scars, you have to be more specific and tell us what type of scars you have. Are they hyperpigmentation scars (dark brown, purple or red spots), crater/box scars/dents (3D and are permanent and can be modified by laser) or icepicks scars (deep yet small pore-like looking scars)? The treeatment to be followed depends of the type of scar. If it's only hyperpigmentation, you can self medicate since you don't have to be a genious to find out that bleaching dark things lightens them/fades them. Though I suggest getting rid of your acne completely first, since you'll be pretty much wasting your time healing scars before your acne.

Another thing I'd like to point out it the "go to the beach method", I do agree salt water has minerals that help your skin improve. It is a natural antiseptic and it refreshes and rids your skin of dead cells. BUT, and big BUT... Beach generaly = SUN and SUN without sunscreen=3 times worse the acne you have now (this is scientifically proven and I suggest you research about it). So if ever you try out the beach method ALWAYS have sunscreen and at least SPF 50. I'm stressing on this since when I wasn't aware of sunlight's side effects on acne I regretted the way my face ended up. Sunscreen should also be used even when it's cloudy, since the sun is permanently present.

From my personal experience, I just took my hormonal medication since I have the PCOS syndrome (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) which is cause by hormonal imbalance. Hormones fixed my skin and back acne. And as my doctor gradually started to lower down the dose of hormonal intake, my body just got used to it and stopped over secreting sebum. So my acne eventually faded (I still get occasional breakouts of course but it's better: 1-2 pimples every 2 months compared to 1-3 pimples everyday) and left scarring.
A bit of advice though, don't use harsh products on your acne such as alcohol and exfoliators since they will only irritate the skin and give out bad inflammatory acne.

Hope this was helpful! Good luck and stay happy despite your back acne =) I bet it'll go away.

P.S. Forgive my typos ;_;

How to fade dark brown/purples acne scar or hyperpigmentation spots - a simple guide on How to use lemon for dummies

If you have these type of scars, read this for it may help.

How to:

1. Start off by washing a fresh lemon. Washing it is necessary to at least get rid of the thin layer of pestiside on it's skin.

2. Take a knife and cut it in half (you need to cut it in the middle to get a great amount of juice). Then (this part is optional) cut a thin slice.

3. On a cleansed and dry face, gently rub the slice (or half) of all over, avoiding you eyes and mouth since the skin around it is very sensitive. Let is set for at least 20 minutes and then wash with warm water.

4. IMPORTANT: then apply a thin layer of moisturizer. Lemon has the tendency to dry out you skin, so make sure to moisturize.

Basically I leave it overnight when I have time to do this, since when your sleeping you secrete enough sebum to moisturize your face and avoid dryness provided by the juice. But you can do it as you wish to.

Results: I saw great results within a week and noticed that my scars weren't as dark as they used to be. But this can vary aggording to your own skin and how dark your scars are.

WARNING: Don't use lemon on your face if you have fresh/open wounds. Not only will it sting but if there are traces of fresh blood on the wounds, it will create a black scab (instead of a red/brown one).

If pure lemon juice stings your face, you can always squeeze a tablespoon of juice out and mix it with moisturizer. At the begining, when I wasn't used to it I did this all the time and it immensely helped with the stinging. And it feels better since it almost like applying cream on your face.

YOU MUST WEAR SUNBLOCK IF YOU HAVE THESE TYPE OF SCARS. They are already dark, but just like any part of your skin, with direct contact with sun rays it will darken and be harder to rid of.

For more info and a more detailed explanation about the scars formation please refer to my blog article linked below:

How to use Lemon for dummies
I am a sucker for KIM HYUN JOONG.
ThexxAcnexxChick's thread - A place to discuss acne and help acne sufferers.
My YouTube channel - A place to discuss acne and beauty.
FloralAnatomy - A place for makeup!
jellykrystleeeI_play_with_dollsomfg_machNaimonsterfabrications.milkbunnywen_t1ngnvmpplkimchi4funperverttinasweetheartlindaaanguyenJENNUHToxi Passionsabbb.★jinnysarangIUandMeSjiveurniiida-chanitrayyahappybubbleOnimal

Replies

• jellykrystleeejellykrystleee Posts: 26Member
    ^Subscribed :D
    I really like how you showed yourself with no makeup and pointed out your scars, every other video I've seen on youtube where the person is talking about acne or giving you advise seem to be wearing makeup...and I don't trust them, haha ^^
    I'm currently suffering from acne and it sucks T^T
    I've been working on changing my diet but have no idea what foods i should be trying to eat more of xD;

Videos with tips on what foods are best to eat, routines and tips for scars would be much appreciated<3
    hot-chocolateAlt Numda-chan
  • hot-chocolatehot-chocolate FrancePosts: 311Member

ROOKIE

jellykrystleee wrote on 25 April 2011 - 04:04 AM:

^Subscribed :D
    I really like how you showed yourself with no makeup and pointed out your scars.
    Videos with tips on what foods are best to eat, routines and tips for scars would be much appreciated<3

Hey there =) Thanks for subscribing!
    I really appreciate it and I hope to be able to help you with your acne.
    I agree that people who show themselves as they are, are much more worth watching than those who put makeup on before taping the video.

Some time soon I'll be doing a video about the simple causes of acne. Just stay tuned and I promise for pack of videos. I might even do a small tutorial on how to cover acne according to the type.
  • daRingsdaRings Posts: 1,095Member

IDOL

hmm interesting thread! :D
    i had acne a few years back, went to the dermatologist and took Accutane for 8 months.
    and now i'm acne free! :)
    but i still get little bumps from time time to time, but not as worse as before.
    i still have acne scars from my acne before though, and i would like to get rid of it.
    So i'll be waiting for ur next update!
    i also want to know more about skin care routine,
    thanks!!
    Latest kdrama addiction of 2012: GHOST
    watch it! it's awesome! :)

ROOKIE

daRings wrote on 25 April 2011 - 01:04 PM:

hmm interesting thread! :D
    i had acne a few years back, went to the dermatologist and took Accutane for 8 months.
    and now i'm acne free! :)
    but i still get little bumps from time time to time, but not as worse as before.
    i still have acne scars from my acne before though, and i would like to get rid of it.
    So i'll be waiting for ur next update!
    i also want to know more about skin care routine,
    thanks!!

Thank you for posting!
    Well I am really surprises that you didn't gave any bad side effects from the accutane. I do hope you knew the sied effects of roaccutane. It has been proven to be deadly for it can provoke diseases that may not be cured and depression of some montruous effects it had on some people. I don't want to freak you out but you should watch this video on YouTube which is called accutane=hospital. It will show you the risks you took by taking accutane. But I am happy that nothing has happened to you! =)

I promise a quick update! And video.

ROOKIE

I would like to ask you soompiers what you would like me to upload as a first video among these:
    • My Acne story
    • The source of Acne
    • How to cope with Acne in daily life

All for you to decide!
  • Wats my name?Wats my name? somewhere in CAPosts: 289Member
    your acne story first plz :)
    omfg_machAlt Numjellykrystleeepervert
  • YoliePYolieP Posts: 700Member

IDOL

Nice~I'm 22 and still having acne problems >_< Don't even know what to use on my face anymore.
    I want to get on birth control pills to see if it does any good for my skin since skin products just seem to make it worse.
    I wouldn't be good following diets for better skin though...like it's even really hard for me to drink more water sweatingbullets.gif

ROOKIE

YolieP wrote on 26 April 2011 - 06:01 PM:

Nice~I'm 22 and still having acne problems >_< Don't even know what to use on my face anymore.
    I want to get on birth control pills to see if it does any good for my skin since skin products just seem to make it worse.
    I wouldn't be good following diets for better skin though...like it's even really hard for me to drink more water *quoted image*

Hi, thanks for posting! =]

You have to be very careful with birth control pills. I had the same idea and tried it, but birth control pills tend to make you gain weight and a lot of it. And I mean it. I'll put up my reason for warning you in my acne story video! And since you aren't a diet person you won't be able to keep your weight stable.
    Dieting is not going to make your acne go away but you can help your body by maintaining a healthy diet =]

ROOKIE

Wats my name? wrote on 26 April 2011 - 04:50 PM:

your acne story first plz :)

Hi thanks for replying!
    Then I'll make sure to get the video up by this week end!
  • NaimonsterNaimonster Posts: 169Member

IDOL

Your acne story~
    laugh.gif
    dot.dot
  • milkbunnymilkbunny my bf's boxerPosts: 2,921Member

ROOKIE

your acne story plz :)
    ♥pink DINOsawrs are yummii
    Alt Num
  • Alt NumAlt Num Norway ~Posts: 82Member
    subscribed,, < 3
    hmm maby you should have a script with helping words to help you not get of topic as many ppl do in those kind of vids, hahah,
    you are so nice!
    I hope you will get a warm welcome in to the youtube community ^_^

뜻이 있는 곳에 길이 있다

You can do anything you set your mind to.

ROOKIE

LillJohnsen wrote on 27 April 2011 - 07:13 AM:

subscribed,, < 3
    hmm maby you should have a script with helping words to help you not get of topic as many ppl do in those kind of vids, hahah,
    you are so nice!
    I hope you will get a warm welcome in to the youtube community ^_^

Thank you! Yeah I have a very messy intro =P
    But I did write a few things down for the upcoming video!
  • MystrilliumMystrillium Near the CN TowerPosts: 210Member
    After getting off birth control pills were you able to maintain that weight (the weight you had when you were on birth control pills). I'm thinking of gaining weight ^_^;;
    gumiho2.png

ROOKIE

Mystrillium wrote on 27 April 2011 - 12:50 PM:

After getting off birth control pills were you able to maintain that weight (the weight you had when you were on birth control pills). I'm thinking of gaining weight ^_^;;

I wasnt able to maintain my weight. I was always hungry. I gained 20 kilos in 3 months. I used to weight 45 and I ended up weighing 65. And nos with struggle I am 55-56. Fat, I know. And It's so hard to Get rid of my weight!
  • ichigobunnieichigobunnie Houston TXPosts: 333Member
    edited April 2011
    hot-chocolate wrote on 28 April 2011 - 12:42 PM:

I wasnt able to maintain my weight. I was always hungry. I gained 20 kilos in 3 months. I used to weight 45 and I ended up weighing 65. And nos with struggle I am 55-56. Fat, I know. And It's so hard to Get rid of my weight!

I'm on BCpills myself for acne (and time of month cuz mine is severe xD). And although I know weight gain/loss may be a side effect, I think it shouldnt' happen to that extent--tho I may be wrong. I never lost or gained weight. I used to use Yasmin, but it was too expensive for me to continue at $50/month. I now use a generic version called Ocella that's $10/month, tho I must say the big brand Yasmin performs better. Maybe ask your doctor if there's another BCpill you can try that won't have the weight gain?

Read the other reply/post on accutane:
    I was on Accutane myself. I had to quit after 3 months because my mom got too paranoid it would ruin my liver -___- but really it made me so dry inside that my bones creaked and it hurt to walk for longer than 20-30 min in the mall. The recommended amount is 5-6 months. Very lucky for those who got to go thru it without side effects. Mine was awful xD It shoots up your cholesterol level too so u end up having to watch ur diet and eat less beef, pork, etc. I do have a post on my acne on my blog if anyone wants to read it.
    Beauty. Fashion. Product Reviews. Houston, TX

IchigoBunnie Blog

ROOKIE

ichigobunnie wrote on 28 April 2011 - 09:45 PM:

I'm on BCpills myself for acne (and time of month cuz mine is severe xD). And although I know weight gain/loss may be a side effect, I think it shouldnt' happen to that extent--tho I may be wrong. I never lost or gained weight. I used to use Yasmin, but it was too expensive for me to continue at $50/month. I now use a generic version called Ocella that's $10/month, tho I must say the big brand Yasmin performs better. Maybe ask your doctor if there's another BCpill you can try that won't have the weight gain?

Read the other reply/post on accutane:
    I was on Accutane myself. I had to quit after 3 months because my mom got too paranoid it would ruin my liver -___- but really it made me so dry inside that my bones creaked and it hurt to walk for longer than 20-30 min in the mall. The recommended amount is 5-6 months. Very lucky for those who got to go thru it without side effects. Mine was awful xD It shoots up your cholesterol level too so u end up having to watch ur diet and eat less beef, pork, etc. I do have a post on my acne on my blog if anyone wants to read it.

About the pills, maybe I should have mentionned that I started taking those pills when I was 12. When You're twelve you don't think about dieting or keeping your weight perfect just like a model. Anyway I am off them now that I am 18. I still have extra weight, but I don't bother sincère I care more about my studies and skin.
    I'll be replying in a more elaborate way in my upcoming video. Stay tuned.

ROOKIE

Please check the first post! Links to my new videos are up!
  • MystrilliumMystrillium Near the CN TowerPosts: 210Member
    I saw both of your acne story videos, you have been through so much and been to many specialists. You really covered a variety of questions. Personally I rather gain weight than lose weight. I may visit a specialist because my menstrual cycle is really irregular (I'm 19).
    gumiho2.png

ROOKIE

Mystrillium wrote on 30 April 2011 - 10:22 AM:

I saw both of your acne story videos, you have been through so much and been to many specialists. You really covered a variety of questions. Personally I rather gain weight than lose weight. I may visit a specialist because my menstrual cycle is really irregular (I'm 19).

Thank you for posting =)
    Yes I have been through so much, which is the reason why I decided to share it with you soompiers but also youtubers.
    Very good idea. Don' forget to be very prescise about describing your menstral cycle.