[Drama 2010] Smile, Dong-hae / Smile Again 웃어라 동해야

Guest fanda4000

Guest sweetiexpixelzzz

:/ Sadly I can't understand korean, it would be great if someone could give a brief summary though? I really hope someone decides to sub this series.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dashuu

Jooyeon looks amazing!

But my first intention watching this is for Park Jungah!!!

I really hope this will get subbed by Withs2!

Like always, this thread also will get more active if subs are provided!!

I just start watching this new drama. I'm not a really big fan of daily drama since they have 100++ episodes but after watching Good Day Wind Blow (or whatever it called) I guess I should watch this drama till the end. i was hoping to see summary from viewers as I can't really understand on what they talked. can't wait for the next episodes and KBS World to air this drama.

Guest green-rose

OMG im sooo glad i came across this thread!!! I LOV this drama so far! lol....

PARK JUNG AH's character has begun to annoy me

but i can deal with it for now! lol...AND JI CHANG WOOK, wow that guy had talent!

(btw, does anyone know what his ringtone is?? I LOOKED EVERYWHERE, altho i have no clue wat i searched!)

IF ANYONE KNOWS, PLZ TELL ME!!! THANKS A BUNCH!

semi-fly thanks for the torrent links. YES, I think Anna looks too young to be a mother. When I watch EP 1, I thought she's his younger sister, but when I look up through the summary she's her mother. What a shock, she's 68'er. She's about my mom age,but why my mom looks older? LOL

anyway, i just finished watching EP 6. and seriously, Sae Wa starts to annoy me -_- It's such a fool decision to break up with Dong Hae just because of her career and I am sure she will start to chase Do Jin and use him. Btw, I wonder what actually happened to Bong Yi and her family in the first episode,where the family members wore formal cloth and and old lady came to give something to the family.

I've checked KBS World schedule, if I'm not mistaken, Smile Donghae will changed to Smile Again. and this drama probably will start on 16th of November . And the synopsis for it is this :  

Karl Laker, whose Korean name is ‘Dong-hae’, visits Korea with her mother to participate in the short track speed skating competition as an American speed skater. Dong-hae’s mother Anna, who is a Korean-American adoptee, caught a fever which caused her to have a mental age of nine. She fell in love with a man, but he left her without knowing that she got pregnant with Dong-hae. His trip to Korea is not just for the competition, but to see his girlfriend Sae-Wa who he met for 6 years and promised to marry. However, what awaits him is the changed heart of Sae-wa. She tells him that she cannot be with him as long as he is with Anna. Meantime, Anna sees Dong-hae’s father by chance and doesn’t want to leave. Dong-hae decides to stay in Korea and search for his father. He decides to find him and ask him the reason why he left them.

Last but not least, anyone willing to feed us episodes summaries? I would be grateful if someone will~~ jaebal

While I'm a fan of Jung-Ah, not so much a fan of her character. Plus, the lead character can't act. He's hot, but unbearably bad. Anna is much too young to be his mother unless we end up finding out that she was knocked up as a teenager...

The link to KBSW's webpage for "Smile Again"

Out of curiousity, I watched Ep 1 on KBS's VOD a couple of days ago

Btw, I wonder what actually happened to Bong Yi and her family in the first episode,where the family members wore formal cloth and and old lady came to give something to the family.

Wasn't watching attentively but what I gathered was they were expecting Bong Yi's (lead girl) boyfriend and his mother/parent to come by for a formal visit (guessing) . . . but the boy's mother is presumably dead set against their relationship, probably due to her social status . . . and despite Bong Yi coming out to see him and begging him, the guy was being a perfect momma's boy and spinelessly letting his mother dictate his life.

I think what might be causing problems is her characters mental state (I'm still not sure what her condition is. It doesn't appear to be an early on-set of Alzheimer and I kind of doubt they'll tell us until she or the elder Kim's find out she's her long lost daughter). Given that, I have to wonder how long she's been like this and/or how she was able to raise Dong Hae in that condition without help.

The last episode mentioned that she injured her head in the storm/typhoon that "killed" her biological parents as a child which was why she doesn't remember anything prior to that. That said, I too am baffled as to how Dong Hae was raised, especially since her adoptive parents died some years ago.

Episode 8 did explain a bit...but, I'm still not at all convinced with any of the characters thus far. Chemistry isn't there with any of the "couples", even between the Uncle and his Daughter. Do Jin is so smarmy...though I suppose, that makes him a perfect fit with the double-crossing Sae Hwa. Frankly, the only character I am currently rooting for is Do Jin's mother...

...who finally grew a spine.

Throughout the television segment you could kind of read Dong-hae just enough to know what he was planning on doing and at the same I kept thinking about Sae Wa to the point where I was repeating: "You did this to yourself (though my thoughts were laced with expletives)." So when everything kind of hit the fan I was just laughing.

Actually, I expected a lot worse. I expected he would call out Sae Hwa herself on air. Still, it was definitely satisfying.

Moving beyond them for the moment, I have to say how thick can parents be? Tae Hoon & Sae Young have been dropping all sorts of hints about the "twin dilemma" for quite some time now, even to the point where Sae Young pat her stomach while she was eating and gave a cute "mommy" speech to her unborn child.

How thick can they be? I'm just waiting to see how much trouble (read: torture by respective parents) these two are in for once they finally figure it all out.

Ugh, I'm waiting for that reveal...which looks like it will happen in the next episode. Unless, of course, they convince Tae Hoon's mother with some incredulous story that KDrama is so fond of...which means they will. Sigh.

Guest prime-lab

For some reason i find the supporting cast more interesting than the main cast. The main characters seem boring, and plain, with no emotions unlike the the other actors. The only reason i keep watching it, is because of Tae Hoon & Sae Young they are fun to watch. I can't wait to see when they become parents and the trouble they get into. I felt kinda bad for what his dad did to him on ep. 10, but i hope they can work things out with their respective parents. I don't really understand the main cast they seem out of their element, they don't seem to fit into the characters, then again this is a 100+ eps sooo i hope they grow into their characters. I'll just stick with the funny couple Tae Hoon & Sae Young. :w00t:

Some people have requested episode summaries. I've written summaries for Episode 6 and 7 and was planning on revisiting the first 5 (as well as stay up to date). That didn't quite happen. So for now, you can view the summaries below:

Episode 6

Having water balloons thrown at him, Dong Hae confronts Bong Yi who hurls accusations at him for not keeping his promise (for Bong Yi to keep her job). Dong Hae simply forgot despite Bon Yi’s earnest pleadings. She tells him not to live like that and storms off.

Sae Hwa, discovering that the “bar tender” is actually the son of Camelia’s hotelier, recalls his live on-air donation of 10 million won (approx $9,000) during an earlier programming as well as his advances at the gym.

Dong Hae returns to his room. Anna is concerned about Bong Yi, asking why she was angry. She tells her son that Bong Yi’s a good person and reminds Dong Hae that she is Sae Hwa’s friend. Anna still wonders why Sae Hwa doesn’t come to see her as she wants to give Sae Hwa the wedding dress.

At the bar, Do Jin calls Sae Hwa when she responds in person demanding for the return of her car. He’s made reservations at a restaurant. After listening to Do Jin’s banter, she sees her car in mint condition. Do Jin won’t return the keys until she has a meal with him. They go to a fancy restaurant where he is obviously recognized. She pretends she doesn’t know who he actually is when he asks whether she recognizes his name or not. Sae Hwa feigns ignorance, saying the name is so common that it’s nothing special. He laughs (rather badly, acting-wise), promising to make an impression so that Sae Hwa would remember him.

Bong Yi’s mother, Sun Ok, recalls her conversation with Sae Hwa’s mother, Sool Nyeo, regarding the money that Sun Ok owes despite the many times she had helped Sool Nyeo in the past. In frustration, she calls up Sool Nyeo and demands to know how much Sun Ok owes her as she plans to make due every single cent. After more ridiculous banter between the women, Sool Nyeo gives her bank information to Sun Ok for her to transfer the funds. Sun Ok hangs up and looks for their bank account. When she can’t find it, she thinks that maybe they were robbed.

Kang Jae, Bong Yi’s father, feels guilty and thinks he should tell his wife about what he did with the money. His brother, Pil Jae, doesn’t think it’s a good idea until after the Korean cabbages have been harvested. An upset Sun Ok interrupts their conversation, claiming they were robbed of their banking information and that such a large sum of money would be stolen. She appeals to Pil Jae to do something about it. Pil Jae tries to brush it off saying no one would just take a bank book as they would need the password to access the money. He continues that no robber would try and steal banking information that contains less than 10 million won (approx $9,000). Sun Ok calls him on his knowledge on their financial information and accuses him as the robber who stole from them. Kang Jae admits that he invested that money and that in 2 months it would be repaid. Pil Gae adds that in that time, he would have return two or three times more than he invested. Sun Ok demands that the money be returned, and until it is, that they not return home.

Bong Yi returns home upset that she believed Dong Hae’s words. Sun Ok is also upset for believing that her husband would take care of their money. She wants him to return that money.

Joon and Hye Sook discusses the elderly hotel-owner couple and how they entrusted Do Jin to look for their child while they are away in America. Joon wonders that they should live in Korea permanently. Hye Sook suggests they live with them. Joon thinks it’s a good idea. As Hye Sook puts away Joon’s coat, she sees two tickets for a seminar in Cheju. When she asks Joon about the Cheju seminar, Joon asks her, when she has the time, to get his stuff ready for his departure. Hye Sook, making conversation, informs him that even at their hotel, there are lots of seminars going on. Joon remarks that she must be really busy to which she simply responds that she’ll just deal with it. After she leaves, Joon calls the seminar organizers to say only he will attend, that Hye Sook is too busy to come, and cancels the ticket.

Meanwhile, Do Jin learns of their plans and is happy that his parents are going off together on vacation in a long time. Hye Sook, obviously pleased, plays down the vacation as work.

Sae Hwa thinks about what Do Jin had said. She calls Dong Hae who is at practice. He is distracted with thoughts of Sae Hwa and slips.

Sae Young feels her babies moving for the first time. Sool Nyeo watches her daughter suspiciously remembering what Sun Ok said about seeing Sae Young at an Ob-Gyn clinic. Sool Nyeo asks her daughter whether she’s been to a clinic to which Sae Young denies. Sool Nyeo smells something afoot and tries to listen in.

Sae Young calls Tae Hoon who thinks they should just fess up and asks forgiveness now. Sae Young is afraid of her mother and tells him to wait until after his exams are finished. She ends by telling him that she felt the babies moved for the first time. Sool Nyeol is not able to hear anything through the doors.

Hye Sook reschedules her day to accommodate her travel to Cheju. Karl Laker, Dong Hae, comes in to discuss Bong Yi’s termination. He asks her to reinstate the chef as Hye Sook promised to do everything to appease the customer. She does.

Bong Yi is on her way out when Dong Hae unsuccessfully tries to give us the good news. After beating him, she finds out and regrets her actions. In return, Bong Yi must do whatever Dong Hae says.

Sae Hwa, momentarily distracted, learns that her producer is going to approach Karl Laker for an interview. She rushes out to the hotel.

Bong Yi agrees to a contract stipulating that she stays besides Anna Laker all the time as well as help Dong Hae propose to Sae Hwa.

Sae Hwa tries to reach Dong Hae but he has left the room. The KTN producer meets with Dong Hae about the interview which Dong Hae knows nothing about. Sae Hwa arrives and pulls Dong Hae aside asking him to do her a favour. He doesn’t want to take part in the program. She tells him that if Dong Hae loves her, he would do this for her. Dong Hae doesn’t want to pretend on TV that he’s looking for a father he truly despises. Dong Hae puts his foot down and goes out to practice. Anna tells Sae Hwa she is willing to do it in his place.

Episode 7

Anna tells Sae Hwa that she’ll go on TV and look for James telling Sae Hwa that James is actually looking for her as well. Dong Hae thinks he’s bad but Anna knows that’s not true. She tells Sae Hwa not to be separated with Dong Hae anymore.

Dong Hae tells the producer that he won’t do it but that it’s not Sae Hwa’s fault, that he did promise to do the interview but changed his mind at the last minute.

The producer confronts Sae Hwa angrily when Sae Hwa introduces Anna to him. She says Anna is willing to go through the interview. Having injured her head in the typhoon that killer her parents, the only thing she has left is an old picture as well as a harmonica from James.

Bong Yi finds Anna. Anna tells her to keep the secret about her going on TV to find James and her dead parents, that if Dong Hae finds out, she will never find James. Bong Yi doesn’t think it’s good to hide things from him, but she agrees to keep it secret.

Hye Sook tells Do Jin that Mal Sun, the elderly lady, went through with her treatment in America and is doing well. Do Jin think it’ll be hard to find their long lost daughter and suggests that instead they find a way for her to contact them. Hye Sook is uncomfortable to which Do Jin remarks that his mother doesn’t really want to find their daughter (as she may compete to become the new successor to the hotel).

Pil Jae is not doing well taking care of himself and his daughter, thinking his sister-in-law unreasonable for getting mad at them. Meanwhile, Sun Ok has nothing to say to her husband. He explains that he is trying to revive their old kimchi business. He doesn’t want Sun Ok to work under her friend anymore, wants to send Tae Hoon to a better school, and wants to make sure Bong Yi never faces that kind of humiliation again. He wanted all these things which is why he wants her support to make even more money.

Sun Ok, embarrassed, meets Sool Nyeo to say she isn’t able to pay back the debt and instead takes up as her housekeeper as a favour.

The producer and Sae Hwa discuss the concerns about airing Anna’s story. Meanwhile, Dong Hae continues to be distracted and slips. Sae Hwa meets him at the rink apologizing for making unreasonable demands. Dong Hae is happy she understands and is willing to do anything she says. All Sae Hwa asks is for him to winner first place and give her the medal. She takes him to Nam San Tower where Bong Yi also takes Anna.

Anna reveals that she and James met when he came by her adopted parent’s restaurant. She doesn’t remember anything else except where his hometown was, Dong Hae, which was why she named her son Dong Hae. Anna loves Seoul and misses James.

At the top, Dong Hae asks Sae Hwa to reenact how she would used to pretend to be a reporter. A sudden downpour forces them to find shelter. Sae Hwa trips and hurts her foot. As Dong Hae goes out to find bandages, Do Jin calls Sae Hwa. She ignores it.

Meanwhile, Sae Young plays the Buk (Korean drum - to mimic the sounds of her heartbeat) as Tae Hoon watches through webcam. Sun Ok comes to clean the house and is judgmental at Sae Young lack of housework. She goes to clean Sae Young’s room. She hears a voice (Tae Hoon through the webcam) which Sae Young quickly switches off. Sae Young proceeds to chase her out claiming to clean her room herself.

Do Jin calls Sae Hwa when she does not appear at the gym. Sae Hwa tells him there is no arrangement between them to meet at that schedule and that it’s all in Do Jin’s head. Do Jin replies after the meal yesterday, they are friends now and that they should behave as such. Again, she reminds him it’s all in his head and tells him that she can’t meet with him as she needs rest today.

Anna practices the harmonica for her interview tomorrow when Dong Hae comes in. She apologizes to him though he doesn’t know why and goes to sleep.

Joon sees two suitcases as Hye Sook explains that one is for him and one is for her. When Joon asks where she is going, Hye Sook starts to mention about the couple seminar ticket. Joon says he never informed her that he had two tickets and that he had already cancelled the second ticket thinking that such a busy woman wouldn’t have time for a trip dwon to Cheju. He continues that she shouldn’t have assumed she was going. Do Jin is surprised when he finds out they aren’t both going.

Bong Yi helps Anna prepares for the interview without Dong Hae knowing. He goes off to practice. Bong Yi is still uneasy about not telling Dong Hae but Anna insists that she keep quiet. They meet Sae Hwa at the lobby.

The coach rides on Dong Hae for not taking care of himself. Dong Hae returns to him empty room. Calling Anna, he gets Bong Yi on the line who tells him they are at the hotel room. Dong Hae overhears the producer’s voice and demands to know where they are. He heads down to the station where he sees Anna practicing the harmonica. He whisks her away just as the broadcast is about to start.

While I was starting to do them from episode 6 onwards, as this series is progressing, I'm finding it very hard to re-watch the episodes again to put together summaries. Just my opinion, of course, but Dong Hae's character and the actor is really putting me off, especially after seeing episode 12. I understand how he is blinded by love and why he would be clingy, but rather than coming off as pitiable or even pathetic, the actor seems completely out of touch to the point where the character seems so cocky and very odd. I hope he finds his rhythm and gets in touch with the character/story as it progresses. For now, I will hold off on further summaries until the story/characters pick up, or if there's just a really funny episode.

Archived