how to improve soompi

Guest geneyoonit

Guest GreySecrets

Whats keeping me off soompi is the soompi changes.

Because of those changes, some things are affected one by one

Problems come up; even though they get solved at the end.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lily_lee

what happened to the red hearts and emoticons that identified celebrities on the korean dramas forum and gave them their own distinct personalities.. now its just fugly, uninteresting and..blah... that's NOT what kdramas and kcelebrities are all about.

This is just my opinion.. but these are some possible factors I think Soompi may be less active/popular as it used to be:

- Soompi was THE place for fanfics. I think many people found Soompi from its main site (way back a few years ago when it was rising) where it archived fanfics.

- We did not have as many fanforums then as we do now. Nowadays, EVERY SINGLE new kpop group/singer that comes out.. people create a website/forum for them. So the fans flock there instead of here on Soompi. And if they're not at the fanforum (which also includes subforums for general topics like beauty&fashion, etc.. so no need for Soompi's other forums anymore) .. they're probably at AllKpop (or other kpop news sites) getting their other kpop news if it's not about their favorite idol (which they can get at the fanforum). All fans that used to be at one general place have now divided into their own forums.

- All my friends who are Kpop fans.. when I talked to them, they know about Soompi but they choose not to join because in their words, people here are too catty and jump down your throat every chance they get. Too many arguements, etc. Possibly because there are many many kpop idols that hold a strong fanbase, competing for the same target audience.. therefore stronger rivalry? And the "coupling" thing these past 2 years might also be a reason for the arguments .........

- Soompi constantly doing unnecessary upgrades (with many bugs that makes people less intent to use the site). Well, I never really cared about the upgrades as long as the site was workable but the buggy upgrades could possibly be a reason.

- All my friends who are Kpop fans.. when I talked to them, they know about Soompi but they choose not to join because in their words, people here are too catty and jump down your throat every chance they get. Too many arguments, etc. Possibly because there are many many kpop idols that hold a strong fanbase, competing for the same target audience.. therefore stronger rivalry? And the "coupling" thing these past 2 years might also be a reason for the arguments .........

- Soompi constantly doing unnecessary upgrades (with many bugs that makes people less intent to use the site). Well, I never really cared about the upgrades as long as the site was workable but the buggy upgrades could possibly be a reason.

I think it's these two. I remember I was chatting with DBSK fans at their fansite forum, & they said they used to go to Soompi but now they don't cause there were soooo many arguments at the DBSK thread :( it saddens me *Sigh*

I never really cared about the upgrades either, but every time there is one, there always be some bugs that take a while to fix, & maybe people weren't patient enough? And it kinda makes it look more complicated to use. I also notice that they say the upgrade looks 'ugly'... & bulky.

& of course everybody has a life :P so they can't really go on Soompi everyday ^_^

Guest Honey_KizZ

I think it's these two. I remember I was chatting with DBSK fans at their fansite forum, & they said they used to go to Soompi but now they don't cause there were soooo many arguments at the DBSK thread :( it saddens me *Sigh*

I never really cared about the upgrades either, but every time there is one, there always be some bugs that take a while to fix, & maybe people weren't patient enough? And it kinda makes it look more complicated to use. I also notice that they say the upgrade looks 'ugly'... & bulky.

& of course everybody has a life :P so they can't really go on Soompi everyday ^_^

i think it's because sometimes there are trolls in the music threads.

that's why fans start their own sites to avoid the problem.

i find that even after i join all those other sites soompi is still special to me.

there's no site/forum quite like it. sure there have been a lot of changes in this forum, but

people will always come go. it's normal.

also, akp's got not nothing on soompi.

also, i agree w/ MR. W@RHOL about the new younger fans.

these days kpop is over saturated w/ idol groups and everything is all over the place. not so into it anymore..but soompi is still awesome.

Guest lovemelody.

well, in my opinion, it was mostly the upgrades. there are just too many unnecessary functions.

like how the user's page (the cafe thing, etc).

i liked it when everything was just simple.

now, everything seems so...technical and all "modern",

if you know what i mean : \

another reason may be some of the users : \

they just start too many arguments, etc etc : (

because of k-drama, i first joined soompi in 2003 (if i'm not mistaken)

but i stopped (for personal-unrelated-to-soompi-reasons)

then my account was deleted (i think it was becaue the email problem, and i failed to take care of it)

Now that i have time, I join soompi again

From it was till now, soompi really evolved and got better.

When it comes to k-drama, i think soompi is the best meeting place to get info and discuss about the drama with other fellow soompiers

(i'm not into k-pop, so i'm not sure about the soompi k-pop's atmosphere)

For example:

The last k-drama I've finished, Prosecutor Princess (you can see my signature) has already ended for over than a month

but the soompi's PP thread is active just like it was aired

It's full of people who can't move on to other drama just yet

We've been sharing our addiction and "insanity for not able to move one to other dramas just yet"

In other words, we're helping & comforting each other as we're kinda sad that the drama was already over, but we're still so hang on it.

(*bites lips* i sound so much like there's somebody died .. huh?? :wacko: )

My point is:

from k-drama addict's point of view, soompi is the only & best meeting place for non-korean speakers

(in the world, if i may say)

i checked other sites, but they don't have complete info as soompi does

They are not as eye-friendly as soompi

As Soomp! has stated, soompi has done upgrades, which i like

(though i don't know if it's necessary or not .. my computer knowledge is still at ice-age era)

Upgrades mean soompi is trying to improve itself to be an even better meeting place for us, soompier.

It may be inconvenient for us for a while, but i think we must give soompi some time to resolve the problem

and give other soompiers some time to do whatever they want: whether summer holiday, bored/frustrated with soompi, etc etc ...

In the mean time, we can always support soompi by daily swarming soompi and not giving up.

we can also donate, if we have extra money ... just to show some appreciation for the great meeting place

Perhaps 3-7 years from now, we can even have Virtual Soompi's cafe (sponsored by Coffee Beans .. hehe .. yummy)

where we can virtually zip our coffee while discussing about k-pop, k-drama or whatever

In my opinion, it's the upgrades. Some computers lag because of these upgrades. Also, the new functions (except for multiquote) doesn't have any benefit. I'm not really feeling the reputation (+/-) button. I mean, we all know how emotional some of the soompi users can be. If they hate you or if they don't t like the celebrity that you like, they can simply press the - button and the person's reputation will go down. That's pretty sad actually. I've seen some witty but nice people (who mean no harm) with negative reputations.

Guest ly*chee

For me its the upgrades and the slowly changing community.

Before it was okay to comment on a topic seeking advice without someone getting all defensive about it.

Now regardless of what opinion they ask for, if it's not the one they want to hear they will spazz at you.

The upgrades also get to be a pain, I can see that it's colorful but...I don't have time to keep figuring out new soompi features...I have a hard enough time figuring out new Facebook features. It seems the more updates there are the more bugs appear too =( I agree with the reputation thing too..its fun to click +/- but..it doesn't have any real purpose other than for someone who's a little too emotional to lower someones rep.

I still really like some of the things soompi offers, which is why I come back but it's hard to post as consistently as before :X

Guest Demllequ

wow like I didnt go on soompi for weeks or even months and I came back and the place just totally changed!! T_T

i kind of miss the old soompi but I guess its better this way.

Guest Joanne <3

Yeah, I used to be an active user here about 2-3 years ago. I don't post much anymore and admit going to AKP just to quickly skim kpop articles now. Why? I prefer the old Soompi, way back before the cafe's and all the upgrades. It used to load quicker during the days of the old orange banner at the top.

Another thing that has stopped me from coming on as often is the crowd here (sorry, but the lack of maturity here is amazing). Not to mention, Kpop is now a lot different than it used to be, so I don't really enjoy the site as I did before.

Guest geneyoonit

i really like some of these opinions... very insightful...

no one still visits the performers section as much as they use to lol... my favorite section of soompi btw :P

Guest ilikepho

Too much is happening in and around the screen. Just keep it simple.

All I want to do is load a page quickly, post, then get out.

i really like some of these opinions... very insightful...

no one still visits the performers section as much as they use to lol... my favorite section of soompi btw :P

I think it's the same for the artworks section. There used to be quite a number of people there. Can't blame soompi, I think. Maybe some of soompi's artists have gone on a hiatus or something...

oh another thing..I agree with the people above, I barely ever go into the kceleb photo section anymore because it's all these "official and couple threads" -___- , I used to love visiting the k-celeb photo section for news/event photos but now it's dominated by official singer threads..so I just go to allkpop instead..lol.

It's because of the unnecessary upgrades plus the fugly layout.

Just sayin' ..

Enabling the older layouts would personally be an upgrade.

Guest angelzstar

I don't think Soompi is dying, but I do agree with some of the comments.

- I agree that Soompi used to be THE place for fanfics. In fact, I first came to this forum for fanfics, especially translated fics. However, even though I know that it is necessary, Soompi has implemented some rules that kind of affected those who were translating and such.

- The Korean celeb forum is FLOODED with pics of kpop singers like those from Wondergirls, Afterschool, and 2PM. I rarely see any kdrama actors and actresses anymore.

But I agree with how older generation of members are not as active on the site before the most. I, for one, don't have as much time anymore due to school and such. However, I still come to browse but I don't really post a lot anymore :/

And regarding the new layout, I just think people need some more time to adjust to it. It's really not that bad :)

- The Korean celeb forum is FLOODED with pics of kpop singers like those from Wondergirls, Afterschool, and 2PM. I rarely see any kdrama actors and actresses anymore.

Yup. The K-photo forum is being used as... a dump for group members, because the k-music forum doesn't allow group members to have their own topics. We're currently trying to find a solution for this, most likely a subforum in k-photos.

Guest starber

^ That's a good idea, because all I can see are topics of members from groups. Way too many @_______@

I've only been on for a year, but I mostly lurk. I don't almost ever go through the kpop section and mostly in the other celeb photos section & general discussion area (beauty, health etc). The kpop & celeb photos section is too flooded IMO

Archived