Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kinein & Makaveli Fitness Thread

kineinkinein single asian and fit ~ weeEeeeEeEeOrange County, LAPosts: 2,054Moderator

edited June 2012 in fitness & sports
for the dedicated the committed and the passionate!

We Reserve the Right to REFUSE Service to anyone.

Due to the fact that from time to time we have posters that don't seem to comprehend that they aren't PAYING us to TOLERATE poor behavior and a lack of reading comprehension.

Added 7/14/09 : It is expected that people will read the thread, specifically pages 1-12 at least - though a few gems can be found between pages 13-20something ~ Warning the next 10 pages after 12 are repetitive asking several people to read the thread.

Older Fitness thread pinned at top - You really could figure everything out from reading all 120 pages.

But if you are still here you might start reading NOW.

Please be aware that we don't like wasting time with people who are not serious. If you are not serious ~ please do not waste our time because we will ignore you.

Next - You have to always state your situation first.

If you can't give us 3 months seriously then do not post - you are wasting my time and everyone else's time.

#1 Age and GENDER
#2 You height and current weight
#3 What is your experience? Sports? Cheerleading? Ever been trained?
#4 Eating habits in the last week?
#5 Your current exercise habits.
#6 YOUR GOAL
* please include a question as this is not a survey.

PLEASE WRITE YOUR QUESTIONS IN QUESTION FORMAT AND NOT IN PARAGRAPHS!

No reply means we can't take you seriously.

If you don't read this post first and you reply don't expect a response.

I think we will still chip in on the fitness thread but when time permits.

* make sure you read the other posts as oftentimes you will pick up on certain themes or extra information that you didn't get in your own replies. also consider it as additional supplementary knowledge that could be applicable to your own situation.

Being Realistic & Planning Ahead

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242014

Why is Diet so important?

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=272559

130 Reasons To Workout, For those that want more reasons to stop being lazy, and to care..
http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...;#entry11071539

Soompi Running Thread

* If you operate too low and you don't plan to get your calories in sometime every week or so with intense enough weight-training your metabolism will get smashed and break down. Also the quality of the foods you eat is important ~ if you rely on carbs for more then 50%

Cellulite response
http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...&p=14232927

Warning : If you don't take the time to read this post and the links included along with reading through the thread and make a completely uninformed response with questions that have already been answered.. I will be irritated!! I prefer better detailed insightful posts so I can give you better answers!!!

Quick links - Sample eating guidelines
Posts #40 and 43

Carb information website

Free Online Diet and Weight Loss Journal - Includes calorie information

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nH87kXT70E - Diet Advice Made Easy

For the most part I want people to understand yes there is room for cheat meals but those are like speed bumps that slow you down. But for the sake of mental sanity if you want to ask about them in relation to yourself sure go for it image

Recommended book - w/ training & eating for beginners
Body for Life, Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat feed the Muscle, Leanness Lifestyle

* How to read Nutritional Labels

BELOW IS OPTIONAL - you can post,reply whatever without watching the cooking video etc. But skim if you like!

Some cool meals to cook :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ki3flXsuw...feature=related - simple easy quick!
Power Porridge, mini cooperake Mushroom Omlette, Prawn Salad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LWTvXxbtmg...re=channel_page - broccoli salad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6ICPobIF9o...feature=related - loaded chicken salad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GibCZNriybo...feature=related - 1$ 3minute oatmeal meal - " oh noes it is hard to eat healthy! " jk image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHBnbPb0qPc&NR=1 - whole eggs breakfast omlette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHBnbPb0qPc&NR=1 - sweet potatoessssss

Sweet Potato French Fries Healthy Carb Recipe!

Optional reading for those that want more in-depth info.... This is optional... image but very informative if you want to understand more

Stuff to read

Guide for weightloss article

For someone that wants a book to break them into fat-loss - Body for Life is a good primer and great for beginners imho
- below is a article by Maggie Wang on her opinion on female fat loss and body for life vs Leanness Lifestyle book and opinions on how hard it is for females to get muscley or lean.. image
Body-For-Life vs Leanness Lifestyle

there is a list of some of the recipes on page 1 of this forum post - http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthr...ghlight=recipes

* a lot of ab videos for those looking for abdominal exercises :

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=302947
Tun_tunAtrumVeritas

Replies

• milkxmilkx Posts: 3Member
    edited March 2009
    1) 21
    2) 5 foot, ~95lbs
    3) Used to swim for 5 years straight. Hard access to a swimming pool atm.
    4) My eating habit has been pretty roughly the same for the past week. I would eat a fruit for breakfast then have rice+meat+veggies for lunch. Dinner would be similar to lunch but in a larger portion.
    5) Have been going to the gym twice a week for 2 weeks now. Mainly did weights. Dumbells for the arms and some other machine (not sure of the names image) that targeted the hips, back, and legs. I walk to class 4 times a week (accumulating to around 30 mins each day at least). Also I do around 100 crunches per day.

I'm looking to slim down my body fat and gain some muscles. My stomach fat has been a constant problem. All in all, I want to tone down and get rid of the extra fat!

Thanks! Hopefully you'll reply.

[edit] I'm female btw. Thanks to Shiwen, I think its a good idea to state it too.
  • ShiwenShiwen Posts: 2,292Friend of Soompi
    nice thread guys, but a suggestion for the layout when they post.
    maybe they should include gender as well.
    sometimes it's hard to tell by their posts.
  • reesiepopsreesiepops CanadaPosts: 132Member
    edited March 2009
    #1 13 & female
    #2 5'3" and i weigh 135.
    #3 Walking, Lol
    #4 i overeat alot..
    #5 Not alot. Just walking..
    #7 GOAL: 120 lbs or less

People have made fun & tease my fat. I hate it! Even my family does it. I weigh more than my mom, and she has had 3 children. I'm only 13! I NEED to lose the extra 10 lbs i'm carrying.

btw: Is this some sort of diet program or something? I'm quite nOOb at this.. lols.
    thanks!

• MakaveliMakaveli The Animal The GymPosts: 1,409Member
    edited March 2009
    To add onto Kinein's initial post, please post a GOAL, so we know how to help you

This is also directed to you, reesie
    "You have to do what others won't, to achieve what others don't" ~ Iron Mike Tyson

• angle021angle021 Posts: 63Member
    edited March 2009
    #1 18, Female
    #2 5"2 ; roughly 135
    #3 The most I've ever lost was probably 5 lbs through exercising. This was like maybe 2 yrs ago. I ran a mile almost every day throughout the summer, ate half of what I normally ate at each meal, etc. But I think it was water weight. Well, regardless, I held that weight on for several months so it worked for me. Turning point was when my friends (who are stick thin btw) made me go out with them for dinner throughout 1 week. Worst mistake ever lol.
    Now, I run at a faster pace, at an incline of 1 (on treadmill) for about 1 1/2 mile~2 miles. It really tires me out for some reason lol. Strangely, on the treadmill I make myself run for at least 25 minutes, but it doesn't take me that long to run two miles O___O outside on a track. I run a mile in about 8 minutes I think. Idk, it's wonky. I do this like every other day/3 times a week.
    #4 5 small meals. Don't eat that much really. I really hate this 5 small meal thing bc it's not working for me. I want just 3/4 meals. And I just want to eat half of what the meal is *sigh* I don't really have a lot of healthy snacks around bc my mom is pretty evil. She won't buy me foods that I want. She only accepts the fact that I won't eat red meat. I just want chicken/turkey/fish. I really live off of cereal and something to do with bread (sandwiches) though.
    #5 Answered in #3. Oh but I used to kind of do tennis.
    #6 [EDITED] Goal is to loose 20~25 lbs. But I'm going to be realistic and say 10 lbs... in 3 months... lol... is that realistic?

Question: Not really a question, but I just wish someone could lay out a really easy to understand, realistic set up of an exercise and eating routine. And foods that are good for one's thyroid lol. I know that the thyroid influences your metabolism sooo.... yeah! OH and my concentration is on my upper half of my body. Not the lower. My legs are pretty toned. I look like I don't match my legs lol.

But srsly, I'm about to deprive myself from foods. I'll eat small. It's just that the 5 small meal thing is hard bc I'm a college student. I'm on the go or I'm studying. Or I'm in class.

BLEH.
  • icebreakersicebreakers New YorkPosts: 30Member
    #1- 16 and Korean male
    #2- currently 5"9 and 162lb
    #3- I dont play any sports at the moment, but I've played several sports such as basketball, football, handball, volleyball, and tennis, but i never stuck with any for too long... so to prevent myself from getting out of shape, i signed up for a local gym.
    #4- I usually have 2-3 meals a day(i cant eat from 8am to 2pm because of school, not too sure what to do about this). Having the usual korean food(rice with side dishes). But i do occasionally eat out and get myself some fatty food(which im trying very hard to resist.)
    #5- I go to the gym 6 days a week and work out for about 2 hours. I workout on Monday then move on to running the next day, and repeat. Sunday is the day i rest. And also, i lift heavy one week, then try to tone down the next week. (I've stuck with this for about a month or two)
    #6- lastly, my goal is to be fit. I want decent amount of muscle with cuts and ofcourse a sixpack(if possible). I have aimlessly worked out for about an year in my school gym and i know very little about weight training, just the basics.

My question is, I'm very inexperienced in health in general, so i need some sort of help, or plan to reach my goal. In other words, what should i be doing in the gym? how long should i be running for? what are the recomended foods for building muscle or foods that can fill you longer.

im sure i have more questions, but im unable to think of much at the moment. I'm motivated to reach my goal, i just can afford a personal trainer, and im not sure if what i am doing is correct. Thank you, and ill be waiting for a reply.
  • ChouChouChouChou mrs lau <3 UKPosts: 2,782Friend of Soompi
    edited April 2010
    #1 Age and GENDER 21 Female
    #2 Your height and current weight 160cm/5ft3in 50kg/112lbs
    - i did ballet and swimming when i was younger [during primary school..don't know if it counts..]
    - during high school...hated any form of sport but i did do some athletics but nothing professional standard lol
    - during end of highschool i did kickboxing for a while
    - during 6thform college i didn't really do any sports, maybe odd session in the gym. but i did loose quite a lot of weight. i went through this couple week phase where i went on the step machine we had at home non-stop everyday and cut down on my eating and i was taking green tea diet pills. i think i lost about 1stone and a half/about 21 pounds i think...so went from about 9 1/2 stone to 8 stone. i think loosing all my baby fat helped aswell
    here's some pic evidence lol

during my prom [so like..um...16..cnt remember =_=]
    http://i41.tinypic.com/2exwpj6.jpg
    http://i39.tinypic.com/dmwpk8.jpg

more recently after weightloss
    http://i41.tinypic.com/28pgqw.jpg
    http://i43.tinypic.com/rmllps.jpg

#4 Eating habits in the last week? i've been trying really hard to cut out food after 9. before i would always have food around 12ish as i would always get really hungry as i have dinner early around 6pm. in the past week i haven't had any supper [very proud of myself] and only have 2 meals a day [which i normally do anyways] and i've cut down on snacking
    #5 Your current exercise habits. gym 2-3 times a week .. normally consists of a warm up on the tredmill, selection of weight training and then about 30mins-hour on the crosstrainer at different levels
    #6 YOUR GOAL 105lbs or 98lbs..but i think that would be too hard and too...skinny maybe. i just wanna be smaller and more toned as i'm pretty petite anyways so i want the body to go with it..if that makes sense....
    i would basically like to look like this -->

http://i41.tinypic.com/ouqhic.jpg
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2qukac1.jpg

i used photoediting software for the last one lol...dnt think that's gna happen unless the bones in my shoulders magically shrunk >_<
  • oublietteoubliette liti Posts: 295Member
    edited March 2009
    #1 18 years old and female
    #2 5'7" and 128 pounds
    #3 Absolutely nothing, unfortunately. No sports, no anything. I have been moderately successful at losing weight in the past- last summer, I lost about 10 pounds because of a change in environment, and eating slightly better. However, I have since packed back on the pounds. Even when I lost the weight though, what concerns me is that I still wasn't happy with my body. I think it was mostly skinny-fat since I lost without exercise, perhaps? Ugh. So yeah.
    #4 I know I eat REAAALLY badly, but I'm seriously going to change this now. I eat Fiber One cereal with milk every morning, usually eat something like a sandwich and fruit for lunch, and eat some homecooked food (usually fairly healthy with protein, etc.) for dinner. It's my snacks that kill me. I usually have an enormous snack in mid-afternoon which can include TONS of nuts, ice cream, chips, cheese dip, etc. and a snack at night which is usually a LOT of cookies and hot cocoa. I know that I eat horribly and like I said, I'm going to change this by just eating a bit less and trying to eat healthier snacks.
    #5 I try and walk 1-2 miles every night? :\ IDK. It's not really helping...probablyb ecause of my eating habits
    #6 I just want to look better, honestly. I'm a little frustrated because I'm not sure what's the best way to go about getting a better body. Losing about 10 pounds would be nice, but I'm really more concerned with cutting down FAT in general. I have huge flabby thighs and it sucks, so goal #1 is to trim those down. I'd also like leaner arms, and (of course) a nicer stomach!

My question is... what kinds of exercises should I be doing? I have no access to a gym and I can't really exercise outside regularly (unsafe neighborhood and I'm out most of the day time), but I do have a treadmill at home. I'm also willing to do pushups/situps/8 minute abs/etc or whatever I need to. One of my problems is that I have horrible endurance... I can't even run a mile without having to stop. :\ So yeah.

I'm really serious about losing weight/losing fat/getting fit this time around, so I won't waste your time! Thanks so much guys!
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (milkx @ Mar 22 2009, 09:44 AM) »
    1) 21
    2) 5 foot, ~95lbs
    3) Used to swim for 5 years straight. Hard access to a swimming pool atm.
    4) My eating habit has been pretty roughly the same for the past week. I would eat a fruit for breakfast then have rice+meat+veggies for lunch. Dinner would be similar to lunch but in a larger portion.
    5) Have been going to the gym twice a week for 2 weeks now. Mainly did weights. Dumbells for the arms and some other machine (not sure of the names image) that targeted the hips, back, and legs. I walk to class 4 times a week (accumulating to around 30 mins each day at least). Also I do around 100 crunches per day.

I'm looking to slim down my body fat and gain some muscles. My stomach fat has been a constant problem. All in all, I want to tone down and get rid of the extra fat!

Thanks! Hopefully you'll reply.

[edit] I'm female btw. Thanks to Shiwen, I think its a good idea to state it too.

Ok doesn't even sound like you have much body fat or mass to work with anyway so don't worry about the slimming part lol. Sounds like you want to tone up just like everyone else. What i'm going to say is you DON'T need to do crunches every single day, you're not really helping your cause there. Hit them 3x a week, whether it be M,W,F, it's totally up to you. Just space it out. Also you need to up your gym sessions. Training should occur at least 4 times a week yea? If it makes it easier you should stick to machines but I want you to hit the main compound exercises. You need to hit a press for the chest something like a dumbell bench press, do some squats/lunges, and rowing machine. Those are where your major emphasis should lie. If you want to gain a bit of mass stick to the 8-10rep range for 3 sets per exercise. You can also look up other exercises to target more body parts but you should hit those exercises 2 times a week. Kinein will probably elaborate on this. I'm just taking the lead as he seems to be busy atm.
    *Note exercise wise, if you're hitting the weights hard and giving it 150% in the gym, please don't do any cardio.
    Just do more walking around and stick to the diet, trust me! and also, all training sessions should not be longer than ONE HOUR!

Diet wise - You're so small!!! You need to EAT!! To gain any type of muscle mass/definition you need foooood. I'm going to suggest the 4-6 meals a day. EVERY meal has to have PROTEINNNNN!! So no more just a fruit or w/e anorexic deal you're doing over there lol. Get some eggs, oatmeal, and the fruit on the side image. Now I know you mentioned something about your stomach, it's probably the food you're eating, not the amount. Eat roughly 2000-2200 cals to gain. Your diet should look something like this.

Meal 1 (bfast) - Protein, carb, veg
    Meal 2 - Protein, veg
    Meal 3 (Pre-workout) - Protein, carb,veg
    Meal 4 (Post - workout) - Protein, carb, veg
    Meal 5 (pre-sleep?) - Protein, veg

I'd recommend you get some caliphers to measure your bodyfat %. If you find you're gaining fat then cut down the cals a little to around 1800. 2000-2200 shouldn't be making you get fat anyway if you're exercising hard.

QUOTE (reesiepops @ Mar 22 2009, 01:49 PM) »
    #1 13 & female
    #2 5'3" and i weigh 135.
    #3 Walking, Lol
    #4 i overeat alot..
    #5 Not alot. Just walking..
    #7 GOAL: 120 lbs or less

People have made fun & tease my fat. I hate it! Even my family does it. I weigh more than my mom, and she has had 3 children. I'm only 13! I NEED to lose the extra 10 lbs i'm carrying.

btw: Is this some sort of diet program or something? I'm quite nOOb at this.. lols.
    thanks!

Walking? You want to lose fat? Get yourself running/jogging!!! Also you should play some sports with your friends when you have time off. Also don't be afraid to buy a skipping rope and skip till you can't skip anymore! lol, Biking is also an awesome activity!

Athletics wise, it's amazing to be 13! I find as people get older they don't want to do anything physical. Now eating wise, since you're 13 i'm not going to impose any strict restrictions on you. I'm just going to tell you to watch WHAT you eat. Try to eat healthier, i'm sure you can live with a little less candy, icecream, soda, w/e. Now your definition of "overeating" is probably a lot different than mine so I don't feel I need to really say too much on that.

Since you're still young and GROWING! I would say just stick to doing one hard hour of cardio everyday. If you got activities going on with your friends or whatever, if it goes for a couple hours, don't exercise anymore. It should be more than enough.

It's not a crime to lack training experience especially at your age. Just try to structure your meals well, no unhealthy stuff, and try to keep the snacks clean too. Let's say instead of eating a granola bar that's full of sugar, eat some celery and carrot sticks for a nice snack image. If you clean up your diet and do your cardio with your effort 150% into it, i'm confident that those pounds will shed.

QUOTE (angle021 @ Mar 22 2009, 02:27 PM) »
    #1 18, Female
    #2 5"2 ; roughly 135
    #3 The most I've ever lost was probably 5 lbs through exercising. This was like maybe 2 yrs ago. I ran a mile almost every day throughout the summer, ate half of what I normally ate at each meal, etc. But I think it was water weight. Well, regardless, I held that weight on for several months so it worked for me. Turning point was when my friends (who are stick thin btw) made me go out with them for dinner throughout 1 week. Worst mistake ever lol.
    Now, I run at a faster pace, at an incline of 1 (on treadmill) for about 1 1/2 mile~2 miles. It really tires me out for some reason lol. Strangely, on the treadmill I make myself run for at least 25 minutes, but it doesn't take me that long to run two miles O___O outside on a track. I run a mile in about 8 minutes I think. Idk, it's wonky. I do this like every other day/3 times a week.
    #4 5 small meals. Don't eat that much really. I really hate this 5 small meal thing bc it's not working for me. I want just 3/4 meals. And I just want to eat half of what the meal is *sigh* I don't really have a lot of healthy snacks around bc my mom is pretty evil. She won't buy me foods that I want. She only accepts the fact that I won't eat red meat. I just want chicken/turkey/fish. I really live off of cereal and something to do with bread (sandwiches) though.
    #5 Answered in #3. Oh but I used to kind of do tennis.
    #6 Goal is to loose 30 lbs. But I'm going to be realistic and say 10 lbs... in 3 months... lol... is that realistic?

Question: Not really a question, but I just wish someone could lay out a really easy to understand, realistic set up of an exercise and eating routine. And foods that are good for one's thyroid lol. I know that the thyroid influences your metabolism sooo.... yeah! OH and my concentration is on my upper half of my body. Not the lower. My legs are pretty toned. I look like I don't match my legs lol.

But srsly, I'm about to deprive myself from foods. I'll eat small. It's just that the 5 small meal thing is hard bc I'm a college student. I'm on the go or I'm studying. Or I'm in class.

BLEH.

First i'd like to ask WHY SO SRS?! image. I'm really glad to see that you were quite detailed in your response. That helps us greatly in trying to aid you.

Eating (same plan from the first post) -
    Meal 2 - Protein, veg
    **drinks of choice - Water, OJ and what? Nothing else image.

Try to keep your calories around 1500. Your maintenance is roughly 1800. Weight loss and weight gain are determined by portions. The spreading of meals should be done in both cases. Just try to eat the RIGHT things and in the right portions. The things you're choosing seem to be the right things in terms of proteins as long as you're cooking them in a healthy way, not like drowning them in sauces or deep frying them or both. I'd recommend grilling/broiling/boiling/steaming. Keep carbs where i'm telling you to. Breakfast/Pre-workout/Post-workout. ONLY those 3 meals. If dinner is after your post workout meal, you know that means NO RICE! lol. You don't need to be putting carbs into your body when you're sedentary, when they go unused they turn into fatty fat fattttt!

Training - I would recommend Cardio 4 times a week, and full body workout 2 times a week. Keep in mind, training should not take you more than ONE HOUR
    in the gym! Regardless if it's lifting or cardio. Get in there, hit it hard and get out. Don't live in there, it smells of SWEAT! You need one day to rest and recoup so you can take sat or sunday off which is most likely when you'll have plans with your friends or w/e anyway.

Cardio = Running/Skipping/Swimming/Eliptical/Biking/etc. (Get it done in 1 hour)
    Full body = my recommendations are compounds, just hit 2 chest press machines in the gym
    Squats and Lunges, and one pull down machine, and one rowing machine. I say machines because
    you're not really trying to put on muscle, you're just trying to shave off fat, it serves the purpose and keeps
    you free from potential injury. Also i'm not listing specific names because different gyms use different brands of
    exercise machines.
    3 sets, 15-20 repetitions. (Get it done in 1 hour or less)

M - Cardio
    T - Full body workout
    W - Cardio
    T - Full body workout
    F - Cardio
    S - Cardio
    S - REST

***Note for the first and last reply:
    1. Cheat meals should be limited to 1-2 a week, if you don't want to retain more fat, don't overindulge image
    2. Progress checks should be done with pics and also with the scale. You should take progress pics
    every month(kinein will prob say longer lol). So you can watch how you're gradually changing, same place, same lighting etc.
    As for weighing yourself on the scale, the most frequently you should do it is once a week. Same day every week.
    Upon waking, after urinating, strip down completely nude and hop on the scale for the most accurate measurement.

***Note for all
    3. Anymore questions or need anymore clarification, please feel free to ask. That's what this thread is for. Hope I cleared some things up for you guys. As i'm kind of busy myself I will pop in at random times to do more replies tonight whenever I feel the need to procrastinate more (usually always image).
    "You have to do what others won't, to achieve what others don't" ~ Iron Mike Tyson

• KindorKindor Posts: 32Member
    edited March 2009
    #1 13, male
    #2 5'9 125
    #3 I used to swim for a year, tennis for a year.
    #4 i've been eating healthy. morning oatmeal. lunch pb sandwhich lol image. dinner rice. drink water and milk
    #5 tae kwon do 3 times a week. at like 6 i do everyday cardioX,saturday is plyometrics,and everyday 8 minute ab.
    #6 Lose some more body fat and get a 6 pack. i just want a 6 pack.

how would i lose more bodyfat because i've been doing those exercises for like 2 weeks but, nothing has changed.
    "As the city sleeps the night, you found us hiding out under parking garage lights."

• CupCakeFace27CupCakeFace27 Posts: 6Member
    edited March 2009
    1) 14 turning 15 in about 2 months; Female
    2)I'm 5-1 ish ;I bounce from 115-119. I loose & gain it back due to the fact I give into temptation.
    3)Did karate when I was 9, joined hula lessons [but I quit], planning to join volleyball next year, & I walk to pick up my sister at school everyday which is roughly a mile or so.
    4)I sometimes eat healthy on some days and sometimes I just go all out... and for dinner my parents sometimes come home really late and I resort on snacking on unhealthy things.... or whenever I get home from school I eat a full course meal [rice with something like left overs] and I tell myself its my dinner, but in the end I eat another full course meal... I feel so horrible.
    5) I go on the tread mill for an hour on some days. I have no exercise schedule & I tell myself I will exercise 'later' but I end up not doing it later on...
    6) 100 lb.

I actually just want to know some tips to lose love handles, slim my calves & thighs, basically my whole body. >_<
    I also want to know like what foods I should focus on eating more & how to not crave those fatty foods. The sad thing is that I only have a tread mill at home and this ab lounge? I have no idea if it works I saw it on the commercial, but usually it feeds you a bunch of crap....I'm really interested in getting healthy and I want to stick with a healthy food diet routine. I also want to know [since I only have access to the gym on saturday's only] what sort of exercise routine do you recommend?

& do you have any recommendations on what to eat like breakfast, lunch, and dinner? I wake up at about 4 in the morn & I was wondering is it healthy to exercise that early? or should I exercise around 7-ish pm?

P.S- is it possible I can loose this weight in a year? or is that to short of a time frame?

Thank you! image
    Makaveli: Thanks for the detailed response as well! Lol, I'm srs bc I'm srs about losing weight! I've been wanting to since forev! haha. Oh and I don't know if this makes a difference (prob not), but I've decided to lose 20~25 lbs (as my goal). I want to be about 110~115 lbs.
    Okay, just some questions about the diet.

1. I really need examples of what I should eat. I'm really bad at that for some reason lol. Carbs are considered fruits, grains (bread, rice, pasta)?... what else? That's it right? As for protein... like a boiled egg or something for breakfast? What if I don't eat additional parts? For ex. if I eat like 2 boiled eggs in the morning with a veggie, but skip the carb? Or eat the carb, but skip the veggie? Does that really matter?

2. Um, I want to skip pre-sleep meal. It just sounds weird. Can I just stop at 4 (dinner)? i never eat anything after dinner.. well sometimes i might eat dessert, but this is rare. Generally, I never do this. Dessert would be like a fruit.

3. I don't have a gym membership.... sorry, I should've mentioned this before >___< I only have a bike, treadmill, and Total Gym at home. lol. I have no idea how to use the total gym thing though (but I'll eventually get to it).

4. For cardio ---- is it better to increase intensity or speed first? I know eventually the two have to increase, but um. I can't do it at the same time.

• lolitanicolelolitanicole Southern, CAPosts: 85Member
    edited March 2009
    I'd like to say, thank you kinein, a tun.
    Those links you gave really made me think -
    Therefore, I will do this on my own & return with a new post in 3-4 months

I'm going to work my Richard Simmons off ^__^
    Bye for now!
  • GreenTeaLeavesGreenTeaLeaves Southern CaliforniaPosts: 162Member
    edited March 2009
    Okay, I DARE someone to help me.

#1 Age and GENDER: 17, female
    #2 You height and current weight: 5 foot 3, 135lbs.
    #3 What is your experience? Sports? Cheerleading? Ever been trained?: Always been a bit fat.....I am type 1 diabetic and my thyroid is completely dead, so I think that must change things a bit.
    I used to hike or run everyday, for about 4 hours, and bike and inline skate....but that was years ago.
    #4 Eating habits in the last week? Been calorie/carb counting for a year. Don't eat past 8 for religious reasons. I eat about 1200 calories a day. Over the summer I ate 1000 or less a day....which was pretty bad. I always eat under 200 carbs a day.

Every morning I eat two pieces of toast and a mug of coffee, and then I go until about 2:30 without eating again....I tend to binge eat at lunch, and then laze around until dinner. Normally:
    Breakfast is 180 cals, 50 carbs.
    Lunch is about 580 cals, 100 carbs
    Dinner is about 300 cals, 45 carbs.

Snacks are mostly dry cereal and apples.

#5 Your current exercise habits. I run two or three times a week. (was 6 times a week, but that seriously screwed up my knees.) I run for an hour and ten minutes, including warm-up and cool down. I carry water bottles as weights. I stretch when I return home...I do sit-ups for 45 min. once or twice a week.

I also practice various types of dance....rather like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiIL-w_jD8o (I don't know if it counts as exercise, but by the end my body is drenched with sweat....does that count?)

Over the summer I also climbed 80 flights of stairs a day....that was good exercise, but again, injury to my knees made me stop.

Honestly, I exercised a lot more before I worked +15 hours a week and went to school. Last year (when I didn't have such a consistent job) I lost 15 lbs with serious dieting and everyday exercising....but now, I'm living with work as the biggest priority, and being fit is getting less possible.

#6 YOUR GOAL The rest of my family has an average BMI of 19.5 or 18.0. I'm hoping I can get to be at about 20.0....'cause being the fat, unfortunate sibling for one's whole life gets tiring. That aside, I want to show my doctor that despite the fact that I've had diabetes since I was born, I am healthy.

Basically: No time frame, lose about 4 inches from my waist/corresponding weight loss from other areas of my body. I would like to change my fat mass to lean muscle mass, if possible.

(Being idealistic I'd say I want to lose 30 lbs, but I don't own/have access to a scale, so I can't even say I'm seeing changes or not.)

* please include a question as this is not a survey. MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU: I work in sales. I'm standing for about 5 hours a day, with nothing to eat. Yet why does it seem like I am gaining weight back, when I consistently monitor my calorie intake, exercise, and spend much less time eating than I used to?

Second question: I don't have a gym, and the only exercise I can do is stuff that requires no equipment.....such as running, or using household objects (like water bottles as weights.) Any ideas? IS THIS EVEN WORTH TRYING?

(I might regret asking. >__< )
    Hello, Boots. Good morning, Mister Postman.
  • kineinkinein single asian and fit ~ weeEeeeEeEe Orange County, LAPosts: 2,054Moderator

edited March 2009
    QUOTE (Kindor @ Mar 22 2009, 05:26 PM) »
    #1 13, male
    #2 5'9 125
    #3 I used to swim for a year, tennis for a year.
    #4 i've been eating healthy. morning oatmeal. lunch pb sandwhich lol image. dinner rice. drink water and milk
    #5 tae kwon do 3 times a week. at like 6 i do everyday cardioX,saturday is plyometrics,and everyday 8 minute ab.
    #6 Lose some more body fat and get a 6 pack. i just want a 6 pack.

how would i lose more bodyfat because i've been doing those exercises for like 2 weeks but, nothing has changed.

Add more muscle ~ review the above eating suggestions that makaveli noted to the girls. You basically are heading toward anorexia ~ go do cardio for an hour upon waking then eat meal 1. Do cardio after every weight-training exercise, weight-train. There is no where to go but up ~ right now your just stunting your growth and your genetic potential.

Eat right + weight-train + cardio - oh add muscle 5'9 125 is a hot girl.
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (ChouChou @ Mar 22 2009, 04:41 PM) »
    #1 Age and GENDER 21 Female
    #2 Your height and current weight 160cm/5ft3in 50kg/112lbs
    - i did ballet and swimming when i was younger [during primary school..don't know if it counts..]
    - during high school...hated any form of sport but i did do some athletics but nothing professional standard lol
    - during end of highschool i did kickboxing for a while
    - during 6thform college i didn't really do any sports, maybe odd session in the gym. but i did loose quite a lot of weight. i went through this couple week phase where i went on the step machine we had at home non-stop everyday and cut down on my eating and i was taking green tea diet pills. i think i lost about 1stone and a half/about 21 pounds i think...so went from about 9 1/2 stone to 8 stone. i think loosing all my baby fat helped aswell
    here's some pic evidence lol

during my prom [so like..um...16..cnt remember =_=]
    http://i41.tinypic.com/2exwpj6.jpghttp://i....com/dmwpk8.jpg

more recently after weightloss
    http://i41.tinypic.com/28pgqw.jpghttp://i4....com/rmllps.jpg

#4 Eating habits in the last week? i've been trying really hard to cut out food after 9. before i would always have food around 12ish as i would always get really hungry as i have dinner early around 6pm. in the past week i haven't had any supper [very proud of myself] and only have 2 meals a day [which i normally do anyways] and i've cut down on snacking
    #5 Your current exercise habits. gym 2-3 times a week .. normally consists of a warm up on the tredmill, selection of weight training and then about 30mins-hour on the crosstrainer at different levels
    #6 YOUR GOAL 105lbs or 98lbs..but i think that would be too hard and too...skinny maybe. i just wanna be smaller and more toned as i'm pretty petite anyways so i want the body to go with it..if that makes sense....
    i would basically like to look like this -->

http://i41.tinypic.com/ouqhic.jpghttp://i4...com/2qukac1.jpg

i used photoediting software for the last one lol...dnt think that's gna happen unless the bones in my shoulders magically shrunk >_<

Kickboxing, tres impressed image.
    K well you're already very slim as you know lol. If you want to look more toned and lean hit those weights!
    2 meals a day? that's scary lol. I'd recommend you increase but if it's working for you, I wont deter you.
    There's no such thing as babyfat when you're not a baby anymore image. No diet pills!
    If you don't have a gym membership or can't get one, i'd suggest you pick up some dumbells or something
    and start workin with them. Hit the compounds as i've said in my previous post to the first person who posted.
    Do the compounds for around 12 reps to get that nice tone going. Also i'd recommend increasing your protein intake.
    Which means lots more meat image. Eat clean!! I trust you'll do this because you went through so much effort to create
    such a detailed post. If you haven't done this already just cut all the junk food out of your diet. I know you snack, don't even tell me you don't on 2 meals a day lol. Contrary to popular belief, late night eating is completely FINE! It's as long as you're just eating protein and staying within your calories for the day. Seriously, it's not bad to eat at night just don't eat carbs before bed! If you have anymore questions ask us.

QUOTE (oubliette @ Mar 22 2009, 04:48 PM) »
    #1 18 years old and female
    #2 5'7" and 128 pounds
    #3 Absolutely nothing, unfortunately. No sports, no anything. I have been moderately successful at losing weight in the past- last summer, I lost about 10 pounds because of a change in environment, and eating slightly better. However, I have since packed back on the pounds. Even when I lost the weight though, what concerns me is that I still wasn't happy with my body. I think it was mostly skinny-fat since I lost without exercise, perhaps? Ugh. So yeah.
    #4 I know I eat REAAALLY badly, but I'm seriously going to change this now. I eat Fiber One cereal with milk every morning, usually eat something like a sandwich and fruit for lunch, and eat some homecooked food (usually fairly healthy with protein, etc.) for dinner. It's my snacks that kill me. I usually have an enormous snack in mid-afternoon which can include TONS of nuts, ice cream, chips, cheese dip, etc. and a snack at night which is usually a LOT of cookies and hot cocoa. I know that I eat horribly and like I said, I'm going to change this by just eating a bit less and trying to eat healthier snacks.
    #5 I try and walk 1-2 miles every night? :\ IDK. It's not really helping...probablyb ecause of my eating habits
    #6 I just want to look better, honestly. I'm a little frustrated because I'm not sure what's the best way to go about getting a better body. Losing about 10 pounds would be nice, but I'm really more concerned with cutting down FAT in general. I have huge flabby thighs and it sucks, so goal #1 is to trim those down. I'd also like leaner arms, and (of course) a nicer stomach!

My question is... what kinds of exercises should I be doing? I have no access to a gym and I can't really exercise outside regularly (unsafe neighborhood and I'm out most of the day time), but I do have a treadmill at home. I'm also willing to do pushups/situps/8 minute abs/etc or whatever I need to. One of my problems is that I have horrible endurance... I can't even run a mile without having to stop. :\ So yeah.

I'm really serious about losing weight/losing fat/getting fit this time around, so I won't waste your time! Thanks so much guys!

K honestly your diet sounds like it's killing you lol. You're depriving yourself earlier in the day and it's catching up to you later.
    As I previously prescribed, use this:

Eating (same plan from the first post) -
    Meal 2 - Protein, veg
    **drinks of choice - Water, OJ and what? Nothing else image

By constantly eating smaller meals, you wont get hungry and binge image. Also eating healthy things will make you feel better.
    Try keeping your caloric intake to around 1500-1600 a day.

As for exercise, you have a treadmill so use that. I'd also invest in a skipping rope. If your school has a pool definitely
    get to it. I'd say do 3 days of skipping, 2 days of the treadmill a week. In terms of skipping i'd say do half an hour to start.
    Treadmill 1 hour each time. With both just keep increasing the speed as it gets easier and easier.

QUOTE (CupCakeFace27 @ Mar 22 2009, 09:54 PM) »
    1) 14 turning 15 in about 2 months; Female
    2)I'm 5-1 ish ;I bounce from 115-119. I loose & gain it back due to the fact I give into temptation.
    3)Did karate when I was 9, joined hula lessons [but I quit], planning to join volleyball next year, & I walk to pick up my sister at school everyday which is roughly a mile or so.
    4)I sometimes eat healthy on some days and sometimes I just go all out... and for dinner my parents sometimes come home really late and I resort on snacking on unhealthy things.... or whenever I get home from school I eat a full course meal [rice with something like left overs] and I tell myself its my dinner, but in the end I eat another full course meal... I feel so horrible.
    5) I go on the tread mill for an hour on some days. I have no exercise schedule & I tell myself I will exercise 'later' but I end up not doing it later on...
    6) 100 lb.

I actually just want to know some tips to lose love handles, slim my calves & thighs, basically my whole body. >_<
    I also want to know like what foods I should focus on eating more & how to not crave those fatty foods. The sad thing is that I only have a tread mill at home and this ab lounge? I have no idea if it works I saw it on the commercial, but usually it feeds you a bunch of crap....I'm really interested in getting healthy and I want to stick with a healthy food diet routine. I also want to know [since I only have access to the gym on saturday's only] what sort of exercise routine do you recommend?

& do you have any recommendations on what to eat like breakfast, lunch, and dinner? I wake up at about 4 in the morn & I was wondering is it healthy to exercise that early? or should I exercise around 7-ish pm?

P.S- is it possible I can loose this weight in a year? or is that to short of a time frame?

Thank you! image

It is very possible that you could lose that weight in a year. As i've outlined in various other replies. I gave a template of how the diet should be split up optimally. Do you have a bike? I'd recommend you hitting the treadmill 2x a week and the bike 3-4x a week.
    You should keep your calories around 1400-1500. You can follow the meal plan i replied with to the poster i replied to before you.
    Also as I said to the other posted, just hit the cardio for 1 hour a day. As it gets easier just increase the intensity.

QUOTE (angle021 @ Mar 22 2009, 10:47 PM) »
    Makaveli: Thanks for the detailed response as well! Lol, I'm srs bc I'm srs about losing weight! I've been wanting to since forev! haha. Oh and I don't know if this makes a difference (prob not), but I've decided to lose 20~25 lbs (as my goal). I want to be about 110~115 lbs.
    Okay, just some questions about the diet.

1. I really need examples of what I should eat. I'm really bad at that for some reason lol. Carbs are considered fruits, grains (bread, rice, pasta)?... what else? That's it right? As for protein... like a boiled egg or something for breakfast? What if I don't eat additional parts? For ex. if I eat like 2 boiled eggs in the morning with a veggie, but skip the carb? Or eat the carb, but skip the veggie? Does that really matter?

2. Um, I want to skip pre-sleep meal. It just sounds weird. Can I just stop at 4 (dinner)? i never eat anything after dinner.. well sometimes i might eat dessert, but this is rare. Generally, I never do this. Dessert would be like a fruit.

3. I don't have a gym membership.... sorry, I should've mentioned this before >___< I only have a bike, treadmill, and Total Gym at home. lol. I have no idea how to use the total gym thing though (but I'll eventually get to it).

4. For cardio ---- is it better to increase intensity or speed first? I know eventually the two have to increase, but um. I can't do it at the same time.

1. There are TONS of carbs, you can google them lol. Sugars = carbs essentially. Potato = carbs too. Yes it matters.
    You need to eat the Eggs + carb + veggie. The protein and carbs are essential to keeping your body in an anabolic state and
    also to give you energy. The veggies are for nutrients/minerals.

2. You can skip it if you want but that's a long time that your body is fasting. These are just my recommendations, if you want to do it your own way feel free but don't hold me accountable for anything that happens or doesn't happen.

3. Well if you were really that serious, wouldn't you have ran to the gym and grabbed one already? lol. I can't help you with the total gym, i've never used one in my life. sorry lol.

4. Intensity = speed and resistance. As long as you maintain a good speed, you can keep increasing the resistance. It's not a huge deal. As long as you're continuously challenging your body, it will continue to change and adapt.

***Anymore questions feel free to ask! All of you! lol
    Hopefully these posts are helping and enlightening our readers.

• notyours236notyours236 Posts: 47Member
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (kinein @ Mar 22 2009, 08:10 AM) »
    Next - You have to always state your situation first.

Hello Kinein and Makaveli, I'm so happy that you both are so helpful and considerate!

#1 Age and GENDER: 16 and Female

#2 You height and current weight: 171cm and 158lbs

Since grade four, I played tennis once a week for an hour and a half, but stopped in grade 7.
    After that, in grade 10 and 11, I started to play volleyball and joined the team, however it's only one season, so it basically lasted two months. Training was twice a week for two hours.
    I also took swimming lessons to get a life guarding license, but somehow my trainer stopped training me because she was preoccupied with university applications, so I stopped taking lessons.
    I didn't really work out much, my life was somehow quite sedentary.

Last month, I used to stretch, run, and then stretch. This caused me to stretch a ligament, and I had to stop exercising. image I'm slowly resuming my workout now.

#4 Eating habits in the last week?
    Morning: Milk mixed with black sesame seeds and Cheerios without any of the honey with a 12-grained bagel spread with margarine OR bagel with salmon, baby romaine lettuce and a slice of low-fat cheese with milk. Two tablespoons of Açai berry extract, a Centrum pill, and a Lingzhi pill.

Lunch: I'm on break right now, so lunch is usually skipped or I go out and have sushi, but when school starts I'm planning just to have Japanese Edamame with home-made frozen berry smoothies. I used to take cafeteria meals, and they were so fattening, which may be the reason why I'm not losing that much weight, and I tend to stress-eat (Brownie bear paws, pastries, cheese, cookies... bad habit!). It's as if I lost control over my body when that happens.

Snack: My mum bought Tiramisu this week, so I kind of indulged (two slices) for a day.

Dinner: Chicken-broth based soup. Brown rice and cutting it down to only vegetables.
    Dessert: Six portions of fruits.

#5 Your current exercise habits.
    Since September, I've started working out by myself on the treadmill. It was initially 4 miles/hour at 0% incline for 15 minutes, and I'm up to 5 miles/hour at 5% incline for 30 minutes (following makaveli's advice from September! Thanks!). After that, I do 20 minutes on the elliptical at 4-6 resistance, then skipping until 500-800. I weight train only my arms with 7lbs weights (20-30 lifts), I feel it's not enough.

#6 YOUR GOAL
    My graduation's three months away. My dress size is 8 and I want to make it go down to a 4 or go down to 130lbs. I'd also want to tone my arms and rid the fat on my thighs (pants: 10-11). It doesn't matter if I don't make it to a 4, but I want to be healthier and have an active life style with my busy schedule at school and extracurricular activities.

I'm joining the running team at school, every monday and friday, there is a 2.5-mile running session at the city's mountain.

Now, here are my questions. There is a quite a few!
    1. I feel like I don't weight train enough to see the results. I've never done any squatting, push-ups, leg lifts, sit-ups, etc.
    Is there a list of weight-training activities with a number of sets and repetitions I should try to tone myself up?

2. I also need to clean up my exercise routine. Because I'm involved with many clubs at school, the time I exercise is very late at around 11pm-1am (sleep at 2 after shower and wake up at 7 the next morning) about three times a week, which might also explain my very slow weight loss. I have to change that. Should I work out in the morning from 5am-7am? Is it good for me?

Here's a list of the stuff I'm doing besides exercise:
    Biology Club
    Human Right Club
    Student government
    Drama production
    Piano
    Tutoring English
    and soon:
    Running Team
    Tennis Team

3. Should I also follow the weekly work-out schedule you gave to angle021?

4. What to do when exams start? Do I still work-out? or should I stop for the two weeks and watch my calorie intake?

Thank you in advance! I hope with your help and support I'll be able to make it!!! I'm sorry for this long post.
    <br>

• Koala&lt;3Koala<3 Posts: 105Member
    #1 15, female
    #2 5'2 143ish
    #3 I play basketball for my high school. (Currently a Soph.)
    #4 I try to eat healthy for breakfast, ex: some cereal (usually honey bunches of oats) and milk. I snack during 3rd period. Which is around 10:15ish XD I usually take some carrots, celery or grapes. Lunch at school is usually something i skip out on, although sometimes i'll buy a bag of Cheez-its. Although its after school that kills me the most. My sister is a Senior in high school which equals her having a car and is responsible for driving me to and from school. After school she usually goes out to eat with her friends to various places, which means I have to be dragged along. It's usually hard to avoid eating at the same place she does because im pretty hungry after school. (I'm not saying this should be an excuse, just a little insight of my weekly eating habits!) and for dinner I usually eat some rice, and some side dishes.
    #5 Exercising is something I pretty much have to do Mon-Fri. It consists of running on the track (we do this every monday, going up 1/4 a mile which at my school is one more lap), running bleachers around the away side of our football field (the range is usually 5-10, depending on his mood x_x), or in the gym playing pick up games for the whole period. which would be about 45 mins total. Sometimes I go with a few girls to the Rec center to play some more basketball.
    #6 My goal would probably be to loose 20-25 lbs, and gain some more muscle (not like big guns or anything XD).

It's interesting because I wouldn't call myself extremely out of shape or anything.. Just with some more baggage? haha. Maybe it has to do with my muscles?

The main thing I want is to have balance in dieting and working out. Which brings me to my question:

How should I balance out the days I run to the days I just play simple pick up games? Should I include more weights/crunches or something into my daily routine?

• whoameyewhoameye Posts: 5Member
    #1 19, female
    #2 5' 4", 128 lbs
    #3 I used to run cross-country...now I do nothing but yoga...I'm going to start running tomorrow
    #4 I try to eat healthy (eat 5 times, around 1500 calories) but I binge occasionally...which i know is AWFUL if you're trying to lose weight so i'm seriously going to stop....aka...i need to drink more water!!
    #5 I'm going to start running and lifting weights, but I get discouraged because there are so many body parts that I have to work on and so many exercises that are floating around in the internet that I'm like "hmm which ones should i do???!!"
    #6 My goal would probably be to loose 20-25 lbs, and tone up! also...flat belly!!

Questions:

I have a spare tire around my belly. Honestly, it's embarrassing. Like I pinch my belly and "hey look! There's an inch of fat". It's so thick that I don't think it'll ever fall off and that's why I get discouraged with my diet and exercise. It's not flabby like my mom's belly. If I really watch what I eat (ie. no sugar 50/30/20 complex carb, protein, fat ratio) and run 5-7 times a week and lift weights...will it go away in 8 weeks? or sooner? It's just so annoying! And at this point I really dont think ab work will really help because of all the fat...but should I do it anyway?

Also...I kind of stopped running because cross country made my legs really really bulky...like now that I quit my pants fit so much better..but now they're getting kind of flabby and I want the fat to go away...but as you can imagine I'm a little scared to start running again because I build muscle pretty easily in my legs...everyone always says running long distances slims thighs..but I guess that's not the case for me???

thanks SO much!!
    Okay, woops. Sorry, I meant intensity or distance. lol. And I am srs! But I can't go to the gym bc I'm a broke college student. I'm still trying to get a job. Actually, I had one, but it turned out to be really scammy-like so I quit.

Thanks for the heads-up.

One last question (can't guarantee) - I just ate oatmeal (blueberry) that said it had no sugar. But then it tasted sweet? What's going on here lol. I was trying to find some oatmeal that was just plain oatmeal without any sugar, but it's so hard to find! I couldn't find it for some reason in the aisle. What's the right oatmeal to get?