Nodame Cantabile

Guest aikomidori

Guest aikomidori

のだめカンタービレ art/story by Tomoko Ninomiya nodame-cantabile.jpg

Shinichi Chiaki is the top piano student at his university and an excellent violinist, but Chiaki doesn't care about playing these instruments as much as he dreams of someday being a conductor. Chiaki, however, has several deeply rooted fears about traveling, and so finds himself "trapped" in Japan. Because he's trapped, Chiaki starts to question exactly how far he can possibly go in music, especially when he's passed over again and again for others he thinks are less worthy of musical scholarship and fame.

Recently dumped by his girlfriend for a "sausage" looking fellow, passed over for a chance to go overseas, removed from his star spot in the piano competition because he walked out on his piano instructor, Chiaki is at his limit. This is when he meets Nodame, or Megumi Noda. Nodame is a free — if filthy — spirit who reminds Chiaki that music can be fun. She reminds him what drew him to be a conductor in the first place and, in learning how to deal with Nodame, Chiaki learns how to deal with others. Chiaki begins to realize what is possible for him, even within the country of Japan.

For Nodame, Chiaki is everything she isn't. Clean, neat, dedicated, studious and inherently arrogant about his accomplishments and capabilities, Chiaki constantly bullies her into being more serious about life. He sees potential in her and her abilities as a pianist that she doesn't care about. She loves Chiaki and wants to be with him, but, because she's not serious about her piano studies nor her personal hygiene, Chiaki denies her affections again and again.

But Chiaki and Nodame complete each other in ways no other can, a musical compliment that neither of them can completely escape entirely. Watching them grow as people and musicians, and even as a couple, is an interesting ride.

There's also an anime version scheduled to come out in January '07..the cast list is:

Megumi Noda: Ayako Kawasumi
Shinichi Chiaki: Tomokazu Seki
Franz von Stresemann:Shinji Ogawa
Ryutaro Mine: Shinji Kawada
Masumi Okuyama:Yoshinori Fujita
Saiko Tagaya:Hitomi Nabatame
Yasunori Kuroki:Masaya Matsukaze
Kiyora Miki:Sanae Kobayashi
Toru Kikuchi:Junichi Suwabe
Sakura Saku:Mamiko Noto
Kouzou Etoh:Kazuya Nakai

Credit to the Nodame Wiki page

Resources:
The Nodame Cantabile live action page @ Soompi
Memento (summaries & caps)
C1 Anime Fansubs

Volumes: 25 (Chapters) http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=791Anime Episodes: Season 1: 24 + 2nd Season: 12*This series has also live action drama and films.
NodameCantabilefull426561.jpg

nodame_cantabile_wallpaper_by_kaitou_ara

nodame-cantabile2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest aikomidori

I went to Border's a while back and bought vol. 5 (that was the only volume that was left on the shelf..although the computer said there were other volumes still available..) I love Nodame so much :D

You can get the live action episodes here. If you need subs (all of them are soft subs except episode 2) download the (D-CX 704x396 DivX6) versions and get the softsubs here (I think you need to sign up to download). I love this drama alot..too bad it's ending soon (there are only 11 episodes) but I'm looking forward to the anime!!

• 4 weeks later...

I find myself cracking up out loud when I read this manga. Nodame is just so weird yet hilarious. I love how the mangaka draws Chiaki's face when he finds how Nodame or one of her friends has done something unbelievably stupid. If anyone wants to read, I'd be happy to upload vol 1-3 for them. I think I'll go to Kinokuniya to get the next couple of volumes. This manga is definetely worth it.

Guest aikomidori

I'm waiting for the subs for the anime to come out - I believe the first episode aired this Thursday in Japan. I've looked at some caps from Memento and it looks great :)

Guest FiEnDmAkEr

I loved this drama :3 It's my favorite, actually ^^ It was really funny because on Bistro Smap, they really acted like their characters when they ate XDDD

edit: sorry, wrong thread >< this is the anime thread! XD Ah well. I am still looking forward to the anime! Hopefully it'll be as good as the manga

Guest xingjing

I just watched the drama [sTILL on episode 2. GRR] and I think it's hilarious. And then I visited this thread and now I feel like reading the manga.

I love the drama, so I'll bet that the manga may be wonderful/even more wonderful than the drama. Hm.

But, yeah, I've been on a sort of Nodame Cantabile phase [quite quickly]... and my obsession is growing. I love how they actually incorporate classical music and stuff into this. Because, I mean, this is what I call "pure" music. And I love classical music, so it adds to my love for all this stuff. LOL.

Anyway. I'll stop ranting.

Guest boatswain

I love this manga/anime/drama! I got hooked on by the drama, fell in love with the anime, and now I'm reading the Chinese raws of the manga :D I absolutely love this :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest wenwen

oh man i just finished ep 11 mannnnnnnnn the piano piece chiaki played was sooooo emotional i was nearly in tears like the old baka journalist

Guest ~fantasygurl~

wow.....another musical anime/manga???? i'm gonna SO read/watch this!!!

thanks for this recomendation ^^

Guest MoonChild

I was reluctant to watch the anime after I watched the live-action because the live-action was so good. However, I'm really glad that I gave the anime a chance because the anime just as interesting as the live-action. Right now, most of the story in anime I have already seen in the live-action, so I'm interested to see how the anime will set itself a part from the live-action.

Guest lildrummer

^ lucky.... i only watched the live action, but it was really good so i wanted to read the manga... it seems that it's stuck though. did they discontinue scanlating it? O.o

since the dramas and anime only covers half the manga. I thought i'll post up a site where scanlation has been done to volume 16.

http://comic.btbbt.com/SoftView/SoftView_5455.html

It's chinese translations. Nobody knows when the english version will be picked up again. But those who can read chinese should go there.

thanks for the link--our library system has most of them, but if I can read them online I won't have to wait so long. I really like the manga. I missed the last 3 ep of the live one t_t (which was really good), so I have no idea what happened...that's why I wanted to read the manga originally. I hope they did a good job with the anime, too. The manga makes me stop and think about the music they play. I grew up listening to classical music. Sometimes (when I remember the piece lol) I can hear the music while I'm reading.

• 4 months later...
Guest srenity

bump!

... because i JUST started to watch the anime and i think it's great!

it made me want to start playing piano and violin again! (... but i didnt hahaha)

i also grew up on classical music so it was a plus~

my favorite song that's been played so far was Beethoven's adagio cantabile.

i like the opening song as well :)

Guest 三日のモリっ&#

nodame cantabile is the bomb!!!!

it's an awesome manga, and really hilarious too <3

the drama is simply amazing tahaha chiaki senpai~~~

i love the relationship between chaiki and nodame

how chiaki always had to do things for her although he hated to (i.e. washing her hair ROFL)

and how nodame is always into her own little world ~~

the music in there is nice!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived