*about Korean Dialects*

purpletiger86

please come in and read
Hello Everyone~~

I created a website on the different dialects used around the Korean peninsula. Here are some questions I wanted to ask:

Edit: The poll that I created doesn't work, so I'm just going to post up the questions on here. Please answer them by replying in this thread. Thanks.

Questions from the poll:

1. Which Korean dialect do you speak in?

-Seoul Dialect (South Korea)

-Chungcheong Dialect (South Korea)

-Gangwon Dialect (South Korea)

-Gyeongsang Dialect (South Korea)

-Jeju Dialect (South Korea)

-Jeolla Dialect (South Korea)

-P'yŏngyang Dialect (North Korea)

-Hamgyŏng Dialect (North Korea)

-Hwanghae Dialect (North Korea)

2. Which Korean dialect does your parents/relatives speak in?

-Seoul Dialect (South Korea)

-Chungcheong Dialect (South Korea)

-Gangwon Dialect (South Korea)

-Gyeongsang Dialect (South Korea)

-Jeju Dialect (South Korea)

-Jeolla Dialect (South Korea)

-P'yŏngyang Dialect (North Korea)

-Hamgyŏng Dialect (North Korea)

-Hwanghae Dialect (North Korea)

3. If you (or your parents/relatives) were born in Korea, which area were you born in?

-Seoul

-Incheon

-Gyeongi

-Chungcheong

-Daejeon

-Gangwon

-Gyeongsang

-Busan

-Daegu

-Ulsan

-Jeju

-Jeolla

-Gwangju

-P'yŏng'an

-P'yŏngyang

-Chagang

-Kangwon

-Hamgyŏng

-Rason

-Ryanggang

-Hwanghae

Here's an open question to anyone who has a good understanding of Korean dialect.

QUESTION: How do you pronounce/say simple words such as: 'hello', 'how are you?', 'nice to meet you?', 'welcome' in the dialect you speak in (or the dialect you know of)? [if you want, you can post up more common words that you would like to share in your dialect...the more the better for my project to turn out successful as well]

Like I said, this question can be answered by anyone who knows it. Just remember to provide: a)the dialect you are using, b)spell it out in Korean (if you can), Konglish/Romanization and in English.

EXAMPLE:

Dialect: Seoul

Word: Hello

Korean spelling: 안녕하세요

Romanization/Konglish: Ahnyeonghaesaeyo

Something along those lines would be perfect! If my romanization is incorrect, please feel free to correct me too! :)

My goal is to see which dialect is most used in Korea. I will pick 6 or 10 most used dialects according to this poll and research those dialects more in depth. I hope to expand my knowledge on the korean dialects through my researches and also with the help of everyone who participates.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR PARTICIPATING!!!

Edit: If you are confused about my question or anything...please leave a reply and I'll clarify it better.

LIST OF WORDS/PHRASES IN DIFFERENT DIALECT

Seoul Dialect

Romanization/Konglish: an-nyeong-ha-se-yo

Word: Hello? (on phone)

Korean spelling: 여보세요?

Romanization/Konglish: yeo-bo-sae-yo?

Phrase: What's wrong?

Korean spelling: 왜그래?

Romanization/Konglish: weh-gu-reh?

Gyeongsang Dialect

Word: Hello? (on phone)

Korean spelling: 여보세예?

Romanization/Konglish: yeo-beo-sae-yae?

Phrase: What's wrong?

Korean spelling: 왜그려나?

Romanization/Konglish: weh-gu-ruh-na?

Jeju Dialect

Word: Welcome

Korean spelling: 혼저옵서예

Romanization/Konglish: hon-jeo-op-seo-ye

Word: Thank you

Korean spelling: 고맙수다

Romanization/Konglish: go-map-su-da

Phrase: Nice to meet you

Korean spelling: 반갑수다

Romanization/Konglish: ban-gap-su-da

Phrase: What are you doing?

Korean spelling: 뭐 햄수꽈?

Romanization/Konglish: mwo-haem-su-kkwa

Phrase: Welcome. Thank you for visiting.

Korean spelling: 혼저옵서예. 초자와줭 고맙수다.

Romanization/Konglish: hon-jeo-op-seo-ye. cho-ja-wa-jwong-go-map-su-da.

PyongYang Dialect:

Korean Spelling: 안녕하십네까

Romanization: an-nyeong-ha-ship-neh-ggah

Phrase: Please hurry!

Korean Spelling: 날래 날래 가시라요!

Romanization: Nalleh Nalleh Kashirayo

Please correct me if I'm wrong on spelling and romanization. Thanks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stellabella

Dialect: Seoul

Romanization/Konglish: Ahnyeonghasaeyo

exactly my korean. I speak with a seoul accent, I believe it's the most common one too. And I guess in Korea it's considered "normal" korean? I'm not sure about that one.

Just to help with your poll a little, my family speaks with a Busan accent. The words are almost all the same, but they way they speak is different. Sounds like they're always arguing about something when you compare it to Seoul.

thanks for replying Chisame, stellabella and joonage.

Hehe yeah...I'm sure most of you all speak in Seoul dialect, I mean heck...i do too! lol~:)

But if it isn't much trouble...it would be nice if you can find someone that knows how to speak in another dialect...I asked both my parents, but they are from Seoul...so they don't know much. All i know is that, people who are from ChungCheongDo (?) usually has some kind of 'yoo~~~' aka 유~~~' sounding at the end of each sentence/phrase. Like for example: Hello for them is like 'ahnyeonghaesaeyoo~~~' or be healthy is 'gunganghaesaeyoo~~~

And errhhh...For some reason, the poll results is showing up incorrectly or not working at all. I wanted to create a poll on here at soompi, but I think the rules say that polls can't be created in the general discussion forum. Hopefully, I'll get it fixed somehow.

안녕하세요

is better as "Annyeonghaseyo"

I speak standard Korean too... =/

But here's some Jeju words... Jeju dialect is the most different

혼저옵서예 hon-jeo-op-seo-ye (Welcome)

고맙수다 go-map-su-da (Thank you)

반갑수다 ban-gap-su-da (Nice to meet you)

뭐 햄수꽈 mwo-haem-su-kkwa (What are you doing)

혼저옵서예. 초자와줭 고맙수다. hon-jeo-op-seo-ye. cho-ja-wa-jwong go-map-su-da. (Welcome. Thank you for visiting.) LOL!!!!!!!11 :P

Guest stellabella

Well like I said, my mom speaks in a Busan dialect. It's basically almost the same, but there are slight differences in they way korean is spoken. The tones go up and down a little differently, and phrases are said differently.

Ex:

Seoul: weh gu reh?

Busan: Wah gu ruh naw?

When it comes to the tones though, it's really hard to explain. When you listen to a Seoul accent, it sounds really nice and calm for the most part....but if you listen to a Busan-er, it might sound like they're angry/annoyed or something.

Also, my mom told me a bit about Daegu accents (i've never actually heard it but my mom did the accent for me and it's quite funny).

Seoul: Yeo beo sae yo?

Daegu: Yeo beo sae yae?

^ Yeah, the main difference between Korean dialects is the intonation... however, yes, there are some vocab, pronunciation, and verb ending differences too...

here's a map of regional dialects... but there are also differences by city, like Busan vs. Daegu, etc

Koreandialects.PNG

is there a dialect called "incheon" ? lol...

when i talk to fobs in korean, they think that i recently came from korea.. so. hmm i'm guessing my dialect is something around the city area (seoul?) or the most common/normal one. lol

haha...honestly speaking...i'm not sure if all the dialects that I listed are correct...whether they are all dialects or not...I just listed it because I was unsure which ones are actual dialects. I'm assuming some of them fall into the same category...like maybe Incheon people speak the same way as Seoul people...so incheon would just fall under seoul dialect. ack~unsure.

I'm not going to worry about the poll too much considering the results are not showing up. I just need to know how the korean dialects differ. I know that even if you speak in a different dialect, everyone can still communicate...though I think jeju islanders/people speak in a language of their own or something.

안녕하세요

is better as "Annyeonghaseyo"

I speak standard Korean too... =/

But here's some Jeju words... Jeju dialect is the most different

혼저옵서예 hon-jeo-op-seo-ye (Welcome)

고맙수다 go-map-su-da (Thank you)

반갑수다 ban-gap-su-da (Nice to meet you)

뭐 햄수꽈 mwo-haem-su-kkwa (What are you doing)

혼저옵서예. 초자와줭 고맙수다. hon-jeo-op-seo-ye. cho-ja-wa-jwong go-map-su-da. (Welcome. Thank you for visiting.) LOL!!!!!!!11 :P

that's just what i needed Jaeho! Thank you so much~~:) I'm going to update the first post with all the words spelled/spoken in a different dialect. This is very helpful. I'm learning a lot already, lol.

Well like I said, my mom speaks in a Busan dialect. It's basically almost the same, but there are slight differences in they way korean is spoken. The tones go up and down a little differently, and phrases are said differently.

Ex:

Seoul: weh gu reh?

Busan: Weh gu ruh na?

When it comes to the tones though, it's really hard to explain. When you listen to a Seoul accent, it sounds really nice and calm for the most part....but if you listen to a Busan-er, it might sound like they're angry/annoyed or something.

Also, my mom told me a bit about Daegu accents (i've never actually heard it but my mom did the accent for me and it's quite funny).

Seoul: Yeo beo sae yo?

Daegu: Yeo beo sae yae?

That's interesting. Never knew that some Koreans speak with tones that go up and down depending on a certain dialect...like for your mom, Busan dialect. Thanks for the examples! :)

EDIT: Does anyone know of a good place to create polls? I made one at comcast, but it ain't working, unless I created it wrong, lol.

Guest stellabella

That's interesting. Never knew that some Koreans speak with tones that go up and down depending on a certain dialect...like for your mom, Busan dialect. Thanks for the examples! :)

No prob. I also find this topic very interesting. Growing up, korean was one of my first languages and I learned it in Daegu dilaect (didn't know this until my mom started making fun of how cute I used to say things in korean). For a few years, I completely stopped speaking korean (and even forgot most of it), then i picked it up again about 2 years ago and now speak with a Seoul accent. My family still makes fun of me because they're all from Busan, and everytime I've learned korean I never spoke it in a Busan accent. I say phrases that Busan people say, but i say them in a Seoul accent, which is why everyone makes fun of me. To further make myself look silly, I have a SLIGHT american accent with certain words. I can usually get away with making people think korean is my first language, but sometimes you can slightly tell it's not.

No prob. I also find this topic very interesting. Growing up, korean was one of my first languages and I learned it in Daegu dilaect (didn't know this until my mom started making fun of how cute I used to say things in korean). For a few years, I completely stopped speaking korean (and even forgot most of it), then i picked it up again about 2 years ago and now speak with a Seoul accent. My family still makes fun of me because they're all from Busan, and everytime I've learned korean I never spoke it in a Busan accent. I say phrases that Busan people say, but i say them in a Seoul accent, which is why everyone makes fun of me. To further make myself look silly, I have a SLIGHT american accent with certain words. I can usually get away with making people think korean is my first language, but sometimes you can slightly tell it's not.

hehe...that's interesting and i find it cool that you started out speaking in Daegu dialect and switched to Seoul dialect. I understand totally where you are coming from. My family made fun of me when I was young, speaking Korean. I speak in a Seoul dialect, but growing up...I wasn't able to pronouce Korean words clearly enough that my parents thought i was speaking jibberish or something. Now that I'm older, I speak it fluently...but I still mix a whole bunch of English words while communicating in Korean, lol.

Guest stellabella

hehe...that's interesting and i find it cool that you started out speaking in Daegu dialect and switched to Seoul dialect. I understand totally where you are coming from. My family made fun of me when I was young, speaking Korean. I speak in a Seoul dialect, but growing up...I wasn't able to pronouce Korean words clearly enough that my parents thought i was speaking jibberish or something. Now that I'm older, I speak it fluently...but I still mix a whole bunch of English words while communicating in Korean, lol.

Yeah...I have no idea where I even picked up the Daegu dialect. No one in my family speaks that way. I don't know why I don't speak in the Busan dialect either. I think I chose not to...because I used to watch Korean dramas a lot, and most of those actors have regular Seoul accents. When i compared them to the way my family speaks, I was like ewwww Busan accents sound weird. Especially when my grandma speaks....omg i just want to cringe.

^hehe...yeah, I think it's also a little weird when I hear people speak in a different dialect. Haha...I watch Korean dramas a lot too, one of the reasons why my Korean is improving by the minute, lol. I was watching 'I really really like you' starring Kim Eugene and Lee MinKi...and I had a little trouble making out what Eugene was saying...I think she was speaking in gangwon dialect. When she kept saying 'ohkaebadi'...sorry for the crappy romanization, but don't know how to romanize it, lol...but seriously...i thought she was saying okay everybody or rhyming something with 'motorcycle' (in korean pronounciation)...heh, yeah anyways...I'm very interested in the different dialects!

My parents and I speak in standard but my grandparents on my mom's side speak Pyongyang dialect.

PyongYang

안녕하십까 -> 안녕하십네까

(simple 니 to 네 change and goes for everything, not just this one greeting)

Phrase: Please hurry!

Seoul - "빨리 가세요!" (Palli Palli Kaseyo)

PyongYang - "날래 날래 가시라요!" (Nalleh Nalleh Kashirayo)

Guest xSwtnBitterx

i guess.....korean dialects arent like the BIG diff btw mandarin and cantonese.lol ehhehe...i really dun have any idea wut krn dialect i speak? hmmmm

Guest dr jung

my family uses standard seoul

my dad's kinda freaky he can tell where people have come from in korea, even if they try to speak with a seoul accent O_O

my grandmother uses saturi and i find it soo cute

i'm weird >_<

It's actually easy to tell. In Korea, although small, people are very regionally divided, so these dialects are very noticeable, and most Korean people can tell the difference, even when others try to speak in the standard. (:

I use the standard for the most of the times, but sometimes I use julla book/nam-do dialect since my parents are from there... well only when I'm excited or mad.. heh. :)

is there a dialect called "incheon" ? lol...

when i talk to fobs in korean, they think that i recently came from korea.. so. hmm i'm guessing my dialect is something around the city area (seoul?) or the most common/normal one. lol

no there isnt LOL

I was born in Seoul and raised in Inchon... I speak the same way as all my uncles,aunts and cousins [they all live in Seoul] xP

Archived