What Do You Think Is The Most Important Thing in a Marriage?

Guest fivemagic

• 7 years later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust, I mean you don't have to trust them with everything. Like I couldn't trust my (future) husband to take out the trash. But big things, you should be able to talk them out or dismiss them together if you don't trust them. There are things that we don't trust but we can get over them by talking about it. (Sorry if this doesn't make sense)

I think communication. I noticed (from reading forums, news, books) that when things are wrong, partners don't communicate and react based on their own assumptions and commit the wrong actions as solutions.
I hope my first romantic relationship will turn into marriage and remain together forever.

Guest johnpatric

Well actually You know I can't say there is one thing, that is the most important thing. There are so many important thing in a marriage. loving one another, communicating with one another, trusting each other, because each person is different, they have there own love language, the things that make you happy might not be what makes your spouse happy. He need find out what your love language, and you need to find out what he's love language is. her is an example: you need water for a beautiful plant to grow right! without it, it will die, but with it, it will grow into a beautiful plant. that's the same in marriage. The water is the love language ( what make him or her happy) and the beautiful plant is your marriage.

I agree with everyone here.
I am big on communication and respect.Communication = being open and honest with each other. This gives a good foundation of building trust.Respect = to respect each others values, point of view, feelings and methods of doing things. 

I see a lot of people saying "trust," which I totally agree, but I am saying "accepting."

In life, despite where a person comes from and their past mistakes or what they are, if you love a person and if the person loves you back, you amd your love must accept each other in a marriage.

Guest collegeloving23

Passion and communication. You need to love each other, want to work on things and be togethe. Also you need to comunicate and share thoughts and feelings

Besides the usual respect me thing and spare me the "women are supposed like this" speech, the other most important thing is keep your hands/fork/chopsticks off my plate.

In all seriousness, I think one of the most important things in a marriage is giving the partner space. Maybe that's just me. I like some private time to reflect on things or doing things in a quiet setting.

Guest Keion

Spice.

People get tired of their spouses and significant others because they're too used to them. They know their routine, the way they sound, the way they move. It's all boring now, no more spice.

And this is not because of the other in question, it is always because of you.

No one is boring, and there is no such thing as a boring task. It's just that you're boring. You are the one who experiences the boredom, it is your burden, and no one elses. Is this not so?

The solution ties in to meditation. You need only to be aware of yourself once again, and to observe yourself as if you were watching someone else. Then you're own actions will become renewed. Your movements will have a different quality behind them. It'll be fun for you to do those otherwise menial tasks.

And then the others around you, the ones who you once thought you knew so well, will now seem so mysterious and new to you. And this is only because now, with such clear inner observation, you realize that you don't really know anything about yourself like how you thought you did.

Look at the ones who think they know-it-all. They look at the trees and they spurt, with such profound confidence, that this thing is indeed a tree, with brown thick skin called bark, and flimsy green things called leaves. He goes about his merry way, satisfied and confident that he knows the tree. Now it is done with, the tree is boring to him, and never again will he marvel it.

Yes, it's true, the ones who think they know-it-all are actually the dumbest people you'll come across. If it arises in your mind, don't put much faith in it. Dabble it in, and understand whatever it is you come with is only the poor and feeble interpretation of a lone human, a small ant, bumbling around anxiously amongst the vast interconnectedness of infinite unknowns.

Guest LauraM1430294318

"don't do unto others what you don't want others do unto you" that's the rule for everything and passional "dance" under the bed sheets, even if it gets a little monotonous after more than 5 or ten or more years if you really love that person you spice things up like Keion said above... :)

being financially secure or financial stability before marriage and compatibility , respect & loyalty

I see too many couples that rely on Government hand outs, that should not be an option, if your not financially secure before marriage you wont be after marriage, you cant be married without a steady income and you need to make a lot to live a comfortable life these days.

it's scary to think about having problems supporting a family and all the bills your going to have to pay for a very long time

marriage is scary

When the marriage is tested through hardship, and both of you are still there to support one another and work it out together.
People just seem to give up so easily these days on marriage or even on relationship without even trying.
Number 1, is having the strength in your relationship to get through anything that comes at you.

Guest vintageous

COMMITMENT
communication, trust, emotions. they all go back and forth. arguments are inevitable, questioning and doubting your SO is unavoidable, love and hate, happiness and sadness are always present in any relationship but as long as you have commitment to each other, you can survive through anything.

Archived