Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Ugly Duckling To Magnificent Swan? Share Pix And Stories :-)

Replies

• LiyanaX3LiyanaX3 Posts: 3Member

TRAINEE

edited April 8
  • gisellaaagisellaaa Houston, TXPosts: 344Member

IDOL

I think it's time I post my story here. But excuse my English, I don't think it's that good.

When I was just starting middle school, I was overweight for my height (I was 62 kg and 163 cm). I was pretty fat and chubby. Not to mention I had bad teeth and a dark ugly tan. At that time I stil didn't wear make-up and I was just starting getting into the hallyu wave. But I had lots of friends there, and at that time I didn't care how I looked liked. I was confident, funny, and I liked myself. I was the top of the class and I was loud and a tad bit crazy and random. Let's just say that it was my 'bubble' period, where it's like I'm inside a bubble and I didn't care what the outside world thinks about me.

Until one day there was a bully from the grade above me. She teased me about being fat, ugly, and dumb. I cried and people laughed. It was the worst moment in my life. It was also the end of my 'bubble' period. Not long after my dad got a job transfer and we moved to a different country.

Seeing as I was starting a new school and a new life. That summer. I decided to change. I promised myself that I will never again be the ugly duckling in my school, or be allowed to be teased at again. I promised myself that I'll be beautiful and thin someday. And that I'll show that bully that she was wrong.

My promise I guess matured me both physically and emotionally. I went through puberty, grew taller a bit, started to look like a girl, lose baby fat, and yeah all those things. I stopped acting childish. I stopped being loud and random. I fixed my behavior and became very very shy and quiet. I stopped playing outside and started having paler skin. I dyed my hair brown. I discovered circle lenses. I discovered gyaru and ulzzang.

I also lost a lot of weight by barely eating anything. It got to the point where I started fainting a lot and I could see all my ribs and I stopped having my period and my hair started falling out. My parents started to scream at me and beg me to start eating. It was the lowest point of my life. I decided to stop there and be happy with my body already. I decided that even though it's not perfect, it's all I have and I can't ever replace it. So I begin gaining back weight so that I could be at a healthy weight. 
    If you're going to lose weight, please don't try what I did back then.

This is a picture of me at a backstage Selena Gomez concert: (of course I'm the one on the right) 62 kg, 163 cm
    DSC_0052_1.jpg

I then moved to my new school. I hung out with the shy kids. I stay off-radar. I became I guess what you would call a wall-flower. To be honest sometimes I miss my old self. But I also liked my new self not only because I was prettier, but because no one will ever try to bully me again. 

I'm pretty sure if my friends back home saw me, they wouldn't believe it's me. 
    It's shocking how I could change myself so much. I think the change is both a bad and a good thing for me. Good because now I'm a beautiful-ish swan. But bad because I don't have confidence anymore. I faded into the background. I don't have the freedom to not care anymore. 

Now this is me. At 165 cm, 50 kg. I'm planning to lose another 10 kg, (Until I'm around the 35-42 kg range which is the weight for most ulzzang models at this height). (Oh, and btw sorry for bad quality pictures, I just took this on Photobooth 5 minutes ago on my laptop because I don't have any recent pictures).
    feb272.jpg

feb271.jpg

feb273.jpg

Screenshot2012-04-30at34559PM.png

I'm not sure if I'm happy with myself now, but everyday I try to gain my confidence back and maybe start being my old self again. I learned alot through these couple of years. On some days it gets really bad for me. Some days I feel so ugly and I have the urge to hide and hate my self. On good days I remember the things I've been though and how it made me a stronger person, and I appreciate myself. It's getting easier everyday. But I am getting better.
    Manyhx3Alixana
  • paintyourxtargetpaintyourxtarget Posts: 211Member
    edited May 2012
    I'm like the opposite of magnificent-swan-to-ugly-duckling. I went full-circle and I'm back to ugly duckling again LOL.
    -all throughout childhood, wasn't aware of my figure. had a bland haircut (long straight middle part *shudder*). didn't know how to wear makeup. until late high school.
    -acquired a good sense of fashion that flaunted a figure I didn't know I had. went off to college, enjoyed freshman year
    -got freshman-15 (thanks to all the all-nighters, stress, etc). metabolism slowed down. well, that was short-lived.
    Alixana
  • shyejungshyejung Posts: 17Member
    Joining in on the thread ^^;;

So...this was me when I was 14-ish. Lol. It's embarrassing.
    Picture162.jpg

And this was at 17-ish. (Always was the unattractive, nerdy one at school hehe ^^)
    Picture292.jpg

And then, yeap, from late last year. My friend's a photographer and I had so boldly volunteered to model for him lolz. Seriously, what was I doing 8)
    Untitled-6.jpg

Theeen, this year, Jan. I'm the one in the pink dress. That's my cousin therr ^^~
    405294_2988394116516_1461970643_32982977_1846590466_n.jpg

And this was like, a month/2months ago or something.
    427145_2940340909979_1304875993_32535558_1881362345_n.jpg

Yeah haha. And my avatar's from like, 2-ish months ago. I'm 19 going on 20 this year (omg, old.) so it's been 6 years ^^ I don't think I've changed much though haha.
    SaltGracy1qazxcVanouschka
  • xCherryXSherryxxCherryXSherryx Posts: 154Member

ROOKIE

edited May 2012
    Okay so before high school I was incredibly awkward with absolutely no sense of fashion. Not to mention that I had really bad self esteem issues thanks to my buck teeth. People in middle school would call me names like rabbit or beaver, it was that bad. Thank GOD for braces because after four years of having them my teeth looked totally straight. I also had really thick long unmanageable hair. Thankfully I came to my senses and chopped off a lot of it and realized that I looked better without that mess on my head. :P I've had a bob for like 2 years now.

Here's how I looked the summer before high school started:
    DSC00372.jpg DSC00395.jpg

And here's how I look now, senior year of high school:
    ghergerg.jpg 553015_3546822116602_1454015336_33274813_1248336361_n.jpg
    pickleman`simple_adoration*Saltxiahdreams
  • disbabyazndisbabyazn Posts: 11Member
    paintyourxtarget wrote on 02 May 2012 - 07:56 AM:

I'm like the opposite of magnificent-swan-to-ugly-duckling. I went full-circle and I'm back to ugly duckling again LOL.
    -all throughout childhood, wasn't aware of my figure. had a bland haircut (long straight middle part *shudder*). didn't know how to wear makeup. until late high school.
    -acquired a good sense of fashion that flaunted a figure I didn't know I had. went off to college, enjoyed freshman year
    -got freshman-15 (thanks to all the all-nighters, stress, etc). metabolism slowed down. well, that was short-lived.

LOL!!! I feel you! I'm going thru the same cycle!! But i'm working on getting back to my former glory! haha

I'm a writer and I analyze K-pop. I would love to talk with you on Twitter (@Pop_Pebbles) https://twitter.com/Pop_Pebbles . Tweet me your suggestions for topics and I will try to cover them.

• Juli~<3Juli~<3 SaturnPosts: 8,097Member

IDOL

gisellaaa wrote on 02 May 2012 - 08:52 AM:

Now this is me. At 165 cm, 50 kg. I'm planning to lose another 10 kg, (Until I'm around the 35-42 kg range which is the weight for most ulzzang models at this height).

your maturation through life has obviously had good results. however, getting to 35-42kg simply because its the "range which is the weight for most ulzzang models at this height" is a terrible reason. 50kg for 165cm is healthy and you look great. relish in your achievements and don't put yourself down based on a number on your scales.
    silentcurseMeiHearts☁
  • almightyalmighty Posts: 23Member
    everyone went through such beautiful transformations!
  • JiyuJiyu Posts: 68Member
    edited May 2012
    I changed a lot :'D
    Sorry,I don't have many pics because I always hated to have my picture taken and most of them are somewhere in the attic.
    It's really messy there and it would take like a zillion years to find old pics, so not gonna search :P

So, in the past I never really took any interest in applying make up etc. 
    I also really loved going to the beach. 
    My parents always took me to the beach, even when I was a baby, because my mom loves the beach.
    'cause we live in the Netherlands, people think tans are nice, so my parents didn't take the measurements to let my skin stay as white as possible.
    Which, obviously resulted in a dark tan :'D.  (FYI, my parents are white, I was adopted when I was 4 months old, so they don't have the same standards as asians in terms of beauty ideals)
    Btw, I'm Chinese ^^

1 year old:
    0616e7fd.jpg?t=1336673761 

9 years old:
    ce8c7eae.jpg?t=1336673752 

11 years old:
    541567_311341172264401_100001655621409_808159_1580537116_n.jpg?t=1336673744 

14 years old:
    01-12-2010417.jpg

15 years old:
    1e1a8247.jpg

BIG CHANGE.

So somewhere between 14-15 years old, I got really badly sunburnt, which was kind off weird,because I never got sunburn before in my whole life.
    I almost never put on sunblock, because I was lazy, and I wouldn't get sunburn even if I spent hours of tanning in the sun.
    But after I got sunburn, for some kind of reason I get sunburn very fast if I don't put on at least SPF50 :s
    So,naturally my skin got a lot whiter. 
    Also, I got more interested in applying makeup when I was 15 years old, so I experimented a lot, to see which kind of make up would look the best on me.
    Then I saw pics of ulzzangs, and I wanted to get a better, smoother, brighter skin. After a while I discovered BBcream and whitening soap.
    I really got a lot of shades lighter because nowadays I try to stay out of the sun and wear long sleeves and apply sunscreen whenever I go out and it's sunny.
    My skin cleared up a lot using mint julep masque from queen helena twice a week, and cleansing my skin everyday ^^
    I began to drink lots of water (+2 litres) and my face did became less puffy, but I have a square jaw, so I'll never have that v-line face :c
    It's too bad I'm not blessed with big eyes or a oval shape face (but I'm happy with my nose :) I almost daily wear circle lenses to hide the fact that I have tiny eyes, and eyeliner ofc . without it, my eyes are like 2 times as small :'D
    I'm not that into eyelid tapes, they're kind of uncomfortable after having them on for a while. I only use those when I'm cosplaying, o rgoing to an event.
    I did my eyebrows, which were reaaaaally bushy and in a weird shape :'D 
    Also, I got a haircut that kind of hides my square face.
    I think I improved a lot, and I'm very happy with the result :3

18years old (now):

332a9fa5.jpg?t=1336678216 
    d12b4942.jpg

So yeah, you can really change a lot without having to have plastic surgery :)
    Just improve the way you treat your skin and learn how to apply make up correctly ^^
    JENNUHVanouschka
  • bEllAfREShbEllAfRESh christmas islandPosts: 552Member

ROOKIE

kaydeex wrote on 21 January 2012 - 08:48 AM:

A month after she posted in the ugly duckling thread, she posted a before and after pic in the makeup thread.. the after one doesnt work anymore, but her original `before`makeup picture looks nothing like the other ones, her eyebrows are even different, so don`t know if she is actually posting real pictures since she hasn`t logged on since then anyways lol.

well looking at her youtube videos (jeanisfreakncool) it looks like she's real.. (:
    keep playin' playa'
  • sammmi.sammmi. Posts: 92Member

ROOKIE

edited May 2012
    jieuny wrote on 10 May 2012 - 04:32 AM:

Started off pretty cute...Second row, last one in the overalls. 
    *quoted image*

Then we go to exhibit B, HOLYCRAPWHATHAPPENED, WHERE DID THE CUTENESS GO. I'm like 8/9 here. YUP my parents tortured me with braces EARLY. 
    *quoted image*

And here we go, a little bit better––age 11/12 *quoted image*

Stayed consistently awkward/ugly throughout high school, ALL BECAUSE OF MY HAIR. Let me explain the crazy hair to you. I am a curly and frizzy-haired Korean girl (I know WTFBBQ) and I had a boyfriend during this time who was into the whole "I haven't showered or brushed my hair in months" look. And it was super long and unruly. FFFFFUUUU--
    *quoted image*

Then, went to college and, YUP, YOU GUESSED IT! GOT FAT. FRESHMAN 15 WAAAAT
    *quoted image*

Then, pretty recently, this happened (me on left) 
    I'm still working on losing the weight I gained in college -___- but I think this is the best I've looked thus far... LOL 
    *quoted image*

And a few more recent ones:
    *quoted image* 

*quoted image*

SO YUP, THE END! ahahaha. I still suffer from acne :( and I need to lose some weight, but other than that...I THINK I'M DOING PRETTY WELL. YAP. 

Wow! When you're 8/9 years old, aren't you still losing teeth?! I've never really saw someone who got braces at that age but it sure paid off! And also, did you straighten your hair? I have terribly frizzy hair as well, and I would really like to know how to tame it.. :(
  • monikadoesmakeupmonikadoesmakeup Posts: 313Member
    sammmi. wrote on 12 May 2012 - 12:10 PM:

Wow! When you're 8/9 years old, aren't you still losing teeth?! I've never really saw someone who got braces at that age but it sure paid off! And also, did you straighten your hair? I have terribly frizzy hair as well, and I would really like to know how to tame it..  :(

My dad wanted me to get braces done with ASAP (I am kind of happy for that) so he had some teeth pulled. Haha. 
    And yes! To be honest, I've gotten the magic straight perm like 8 times already, it lasts me about 3 months at a time, but when it grows out...my hair becomes a man-eating monster again ): 

• JiniyaJiniya Coffee Aficionado CaliforniaPosts: 167Member
    I love coming to this thread every so often to look at everyone's transformations. It's all very inspiring. :)
    080317mb_b_o.gif
    A Capricious Daydream ~ My personal/lifestyle and beauty blog
    xReiko-Love☁
  • HeartedHearted *Insert witty phrase* Posts: 987Member

IDOL

I don't want to live on this planet any-...

This planet is beautiful I WANT TO LIVE AND LIVE FOREVER NOW.
    You people are always inspiring to look at no matter how little the change you believe it is, you are so progressing which means something, right? :)